DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #16
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

One thing to consider is your age - the original properties expire in 2042.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #17
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
At that point its worth asking if you want Disney resorts and Disney timeshares for your vacations. There are nicer resorts (timeshares or not) for less money in nicer places than Orlando. (I'm sure Aulani is fantastic, but again, there are plenty of timeshares in Hawaii - we just finished a week at Hilton Head, fantastic - but no shortage of resorts there either).

We've been Disney every other year people - and this cycle won't see The Mouse for four years. We don't own many DVC points (and have a hard time using the 150 we have). We vacation at least once, maybe twice, every year - but usually use cash. When we go - we spend about five days in the parks, and are in and out quickly - after this many years, we don't need to spend much time in the parks.
We love the theming and amenities. We spend time enjoying the ambiance, Disney's attention to detail, parks if we feel like it, meeting CM's and watching people.

I have spent nights watching Disney decorate the resorts for Christmas, had a great conversation with one of the managers who is responsible for Disney 's landscape irrigation, got to tour VGF during construction, had meals with imaginers, tours, and other fun stuff.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #18
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
Disney World is the #1 vacation destination in the world. There is a reason for that. While some would like to compare the room conditions and decor to that of the Waldorf Astoria, it is the total package that keeps visitors coming back year after year. In addition to the many resorts on property, the transportation, Magical express, attention to the disabled, continuing expansion of areas like DTD and the parks and entertainment that will keep Disney in that top category.

I'm sure I can find rooms at other timeshares that trump DVC, but that is it. Nothing else can compete with the total package Disney gives its customers.
well said
it's the upbeat, friendly atmosphere, the safety (i feel totally safe walking solo around the BW at night), the options within walking distance, the bubble
i've traveled throughout the states & europe - nowhere else does almost every person smile & say "hi" as they pass (admittedly, i often initiate the greeting - but, in wdw i get happy responses, elsewhere i usually get weird looks), everything is incredibly clean, there are so many "little touches" (themed decor, resort history, etc), activities, quiet nooks & crannies - the DVC resorts have a feeling of serene elegance that pours into their surroundings .
if we were theme park junkies, we probably wouldn't care for WDW....as "relaxation junkies", staying at a WDW DVC resort fits us just fine

op - if you are fine staying at any DVC resort, go for price (inc maint), & length of contract.
if you prefer a certain resort, buy there
Old 06-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #19
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Disney World is the #1 vacation destination in the world. There is a reason for that. While some would like to compare the room conditions and decor to that of the Waldorf Astoria, it is the total package that keeps visitors coming back year after year. In addition to the many resorts on property, the transportation, Magical express, attention to the disabled, continuing expansion of areas like DTD and the parks and entertainment that will keep Disney in that top category.

I'm sure I can find rooms at other timeshares that trump DVC, but that is it. Nothing else can compete with the total package Disney gives its customers.
It ultimately comes down to how important being on property is for a given person. There are many who find it's not that important and quite a number that prefer staying off property.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #20
judydvc
DVC veteran

Quote:
Disney World is the #1 vacation destination in the world. There is a reason for that. While some would like to compare the room conditions and decor to that of the Waldorf Astoria, it is the total package that keeps visitors coming back year after year. In addition to the many resorts on property, the transportation, Magical express, attention to the disabled, continuing expansion of areas like DTD and the parks and entertainment that will keep Disney in that top category. I'm sure I can find rooms at other timeshares that trump DVC, but that is it. Nothing else can compete with the total package Disney gives its customers.
I remember the first time I went to Hawaii I was a little disappointed in my room. My Mom commented that it was because I was expecting the Poly!
Old 06-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #21
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:

For ME, once you take away the parks, the total package isn't there. Food in particular is a problem on property - we are foodies and food has been disappointing us for a decade now. As is bedding - someday, Disney will figure out what a quality sheet feels like. As a resort, its OK, we don't usually stay at the Waldorf Astoria, so I can't compare, but its only OK compared to the Hiltons and Hyatts I tend to book. We aren't lay around the pool people, so you can have a completely awesome pool and it isn't a plus over a fairly ordinary one. Once you take away the parks, the Orlando area doesn't offer us anything interesting - we'd rather be at a beach or near a city with good museums and good restaurants.

And there are plenty of non-timeshare vacation options. Our best ones have involved renting a house - not in Orlando - for us at Disney there is a lot of value in being on property so DVC works - but when you do take away the parks, you really should start asking yourself if there are better options - maybe for you the answer is no. For us, its yeah, there are, and we've really cut back on our WDW time.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #22
GAVSMOMS
Earning My Ears

I've stayed at all levels of hotels, including Waldorf Astoria properties(they are very nice, especially the Grand Wailea) but I have a small child and want to vacation where there is something for all ages. And Disney has mastered this. I've thought about other timeshares but it's harder to find as much info as I do about Disney.
I'm still trying to determine where to buy, but leaning towards adding to same resort.
Everyone has brought up great points.
Thanks again everyone. So many angles to look to make a decision.
GAVSMOMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #23
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVSMOMS View Post
I've stayed at all levels of hotels, including Waldorf Astoria properties(they are very nice, especially the Grand Wailea) but I have a small child and want to vacation where there is something for all ages. And Disney has mastered this. I've thought about other timeshares but it's harder to find as much info as I do about Disney.
I'm still trying to determine where to buy, but leaning towards adding to same resort.
Everyone has brought up great points.
Thanks again everyone. So many angles to look to make a decision.
One possibility is a non DVC timeshare. Many would give better options for non Disney Orlando trips, even short arrival or departure stays and far better non Orlando options.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #24
DVCMomBLT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
One possibility is a non DVC timeshare. Many would give better options for non Disney Orlando trips, even short arrival or departure stays and far better non Orlando options.
Hi Dean,
I know you have lots of experience with different timeshares. What do you think is the "best" one in your opion? (best combination of price/options).
DVCMomBLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #25
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCMomBLT View Post
Hi Dean,
I know you have lots of experience with different timeshares. What do you think is the "best" one in your opion? (best combination of price/options).
There's no perfect single option. As as rule I like the mini systems like Bluegreen, Wyndham and Marriott as alternatives (there are others). Normally I'd suggest one look at where the like to go, how far out they can/will plan, their budget (pay cash) and their personal preferences (there is some quality variability). One needs the effort to learn and do early planning for such systems, both the owned system and either II or RCI. It likely takes at least a week a year to make it worthwhile. For one looking to do Disney part of the time and other trips otherwise, it's frequently best to look at a non DVC system alone than DVC alone. Those who have enough volume to justify both, that can be the best of all worlds.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: