DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #16
jodifla

DIS Veteran

I'm one of the miscreants who didn't pay cash -- I bought back in '96 and financed it. We just shifted the funds we were already spending at WDW hotels to the payments. We put off buying a car until it was paid off.

So glad we did, seeing how the prices have skyrocketed. It would have been foolish to keep going and spending money on hotel rooms instead of purchasing DVC. Our financing rate was low, we had it paid off in less than 5 years. We added on with a cash payment a few years later.

Enjoy!
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #17
MinniesYooHoo
With the cows and the chickens, they all sound like the dickens when I hear my little Minnie...YOO HOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
I'm one of the miscreants who didn't pay cash -- I bought back in '96 and financed it. We just shifted the funds we were already spending at WDW hotels to the payments. We put off buying a car until it was paid off.

So glad we did, seeing how the prices have skyrocketed. It would have been foolish to keep going and spending money on hotel rooms instead of purchasing DVC. Our financing rate was low, we had it paid off in less than 5 years. We added on with a cash payment a few years later.

Enjoy!
This is precisely what our plan is!!! We don't have any credit debt. Have never used a credit card to pay for a disney trip. We thought about it in the same manner. Simply "shifting" (As you so aptly put it) funds from one to the other. Like you I foresee us paying this off relatively quickly and adding on smaller cash contracts down the road.

I've been Boo'd!!!
Me DH DD(9) Granny: G-Daddy: Charlotte Mr. Tanner(The closest we could get to a hamster!)
MinniesYooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #18
sndral
DIS Veteran

I bought resale @ AKV last fall. My approach was cautious, I had thought about DVC for a long time and had stayed in a 1br villa in AKV before buying to 'test drive' it before I started. I'd stayed @ AKV in a regular room, but wanted to experience the 1 br (big mistake there - so much nicer to be in a 1br than a regular room .)
I figured out how many points I would need for my vacation using David's DVC rental point calculator site and then I bought half that number.
Why half? Because w/ this contract I have enough points w/ banking/borrowing to see me through 3 years of DVC vacations. By then (actually probably year 2) I'll be sure if DVC @ AKV is for me and then I'll buy the other half - in my case probably at a different resort but definitely w/ the same use year. If I'm wrong that smaller contract will be easier to sell.
Knowing I would be adding on, use year was important to me for another reason - ease of finding contract number 2 in the same use year as contract #1, so I looked at % of contracts in various months because I didn't want a use year with few contracts at a resort I might want to add on at (in my case BWV or BC) - for example of the use years suggested to you BWV has 11.9% April use year and 13.4% June use year - if after a couple of years your DD decides her favorite resort is AKV and you want to add there, or stay club using DVC points, then it would be easier to find a June AKV resale because of it having 8.5% June v 3.8% April use year.
Not suggesting this approach is for everyone, just some of the things I thought about as I began the process.
The bit extra I'll pay in closing is the price I'll pay w/ this strategy.

Last edited by sndral; 06-25-2014 at 09:10 PM.
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #19
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I bought resale @ AKV last fall. My approach was cautious, I had thought about DVC for a long time and had stayed in a 1br villa in AKV before buying to 'test drive' it before I started. I'd stayed @ AKV in a regular room, but wanted to experience the 1 br (big mistake there - so much nicer to be in a 1br than a regular room .)
I figured out how many points I would need for my vacation using David's DVC rental point calculator site and then I bought half that number.
Why half? Because w/ this contract I have enough points w/ banking/borrowing to see me through 3 years of DVC vacations. By then (actually probably year 2) I'll be sure if DVC @ AKV is for me and then I'll buy the other half - in my case probably at a different resort but definitely w/ the same use year. If I'm wrong that smaller contract will be easier to sell.
Knowing I would be adding on, use year was important to me for another reason - ease of finding contract number 2 in the same use year as contract #1, so I looked at % of contracts in various months because I didn't want a use year with few contracts at a resort I might want to add on at (in my case BWV or BC) - for example of the use years suggested to you BWV has 11.9% April use year and 13.4% June use year - if after a couple of years your DD decides her favorite resort is AKV and you want to add there, or stay club using DVC points, then it would be easier to find a June AKV resale because of it having 8.5% June v 3.8% April use year.
Not suggesting this approach is for everyone, just some of the things I thought about as I began the process.
The bit extra I'll pay in closing is the price I'll pay w/ this strategy.
Very good thinking. We stumbled on our June UY (just bought the best deal and most loaded contract and it happened to be June UY). Then we added on with an Aug UY and while it hasn't been a huge issue I do wish we stuck with ALL June UY. At any rate, your plan was smart. Here is a link to % of UY at each resort: http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pro...ts-by-use-year...they need to update those charts as it's from 2011... now we have VGF too.

Last edited by lovin'fl; 06-26-2014 at 07:53 AM.
lovin'fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #20
twoj
Mouseketeer

We purchased our first resale in 2011 and it was 400 points and I am already adding on. We have let friends and family use our points as well as taken friends an family with us. We have also found we like going 2 times a year..
I originally purchased beach club points since we absolutely fell in live with the resort. While it's great, I don't like that it doesn't have a grand villa. Therefore I beer have a booking advantage for a grand villa. We are adding on at BLT to have PTs in a monorail resort with grand villas and the maintenance fees are relatively low...
You will not regret your purchase I love that disney is a tradition in our family!
twoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: