DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #16
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Smellyia-

Given your last post, I would say DVC is indeed right for you- if you can afford to pay cash for a resale contract. There would be relative cost savings to stay offsite or at a value resort. But for a moderate or deluxe you come out well ahead with DVC in the medium to long term.

Definitely buy BCV if that is where you want to stay most of the time. It can be difficult to get for many months of the year, at the seven month window. The additional cost of a BCV resale versus something less upfront like SSR will be well worth it in terms of securing your preferred location.
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #17
crisi
DIS Veteran

Do understand the difference between a timeshare and a deluxe resort.

If you are going to book a studio, you'll have a queen bed and a full pullout at the BCV. If you move to a one bedroom, you'll have a king bed and a queen pullout, but won't save money over booking a regular resort room.

Mousekeeping will be limited. Most DVCers like that - some people on the resort board aren't sure how we survive without towel animals.

The other one is discounts - discounts are usually offered in packages - like "get a hotel room, get free dining" - well, you aren't getting a hotel room. Points are never discounted and they never throw in something like free dining or free park tickets. There are perks - they come and go - but when you are looking at something like free dining, our discounts can look disappointing if you are a fan of those things.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #18
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Do understand the difference between a timeshare and a deluxe resort.

If you are going to book a studio, you'll have a queen bed and a full pullout at the BCV. If you move to a one bedroom, you'll have a king bed and a queen pullout, but won't save money over booking a regular resort room.

Mousekeeping will be limited. Most DVCers like that - some people on the resort board aren't sure how we survive without towel animals.

The other one is discounts - discounts are usually offered in packages - like "get a hotel room, get free dining" - well, you aren't getting a hotel room. Points are never discounted and they never throw in something like free dining or free park tickets. There are perks - they come and go - but when you are looking at something like free dining, our discounts can look disappointing if you are a fan of those things.
Exactly. What is it that you like about deluxe resorts? If you like concierge, you won't get that easily with DVC. There are only five two bedroom lockoffs at AKV that are concierge villas. And they go quickly at 11 months out to owners at AKV. So you would need to own AKV and that could make getting BCV more difficult.

If you like the upscale theming and finishes, you won't find that as much with DVC, except for maybe GFV (for now). DVC does not refresh resorts as often as the Disney owned resorts. Members pay for all renovations and they are scheduled further out that the regular resorts.

And the sleeper sofas are never a comfortable as real beds.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #19
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyia View Post
We have never been ones interested in timeshares until we started staying at BC and find that place probably one of our favorite resorts we have ever stayed at in the world. We often only plan half days at the parks and half days at the resort with dinner around there or in Epcot. However, I should definitely compare renting DVC points vs purchase vs cash stays.

Thanks again.
You've gotten a lot of great advice in this thread, and I would like to add one more point. You need to take a second to think about what you love about BC. Personally speaking, I LOVE staying at Beach Club but will not stay at BCV (again). Room views and proximity to activity are very important to me. BCV feels very isolated, if you look at Google maps you will see that they are set back pretty far from the lake and all the activity. The views are pretty poor as well. Not a big deal for most people, but I chose BWV as my home resort over BCV for this very reason and I am pleased with my choice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: