Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
A&M's Mommy
Mouseketeer

Was asked at Studios if my son has autism

We arrived at Disney today and went to Hollywood Studios after check in. We went to guest services right inside the park entrance to ask for a DAS for my son who is on the spectrum. I started to explain his needs, as I have read that is the best way to let the CM know what accommodations he needs. I got as far as "he gets anxious and agitated if he is waiting in a long line with crowds around him" when the CM interrupted me and asked "Oh, so he has autism?" I was shocked and sputtered, yes a form of it and off he went to get an iPad to take his picture. Is this common? I was so taken aback by his question, I didn't know what to say.
A&M's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
intheshadows
Earning My Ears

No, the CM should not have asked that.

Not to excuse the behavior, but there are a lot of "new" GS CMs right now.

Hopefully one of the others there heard it and will address it with him...

If you feel it is worth your time, you can either revisit guest services and ask for a lead or send an email about it.
intheshadows is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

I don't understand why this was offensive or a problem. Am I missing something? You got your DAS without having to give a long explanation.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

That is definitely not the norm. Perhaps the CM has a family member on the spectrum and just opened their mouth without thinking??? I don't know....
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't find it offensive, but the CMs should not be asking about actual medical conditions.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
I don't understand why this was offensive or a problem. Am I missing something? You got your DAS without having to give a long explanation.
Yeah I don't why this is such a big deal to some people, like what if the person had given a description of someone being Deaf and the CM said Oh there deaf? would that be an issue? Or if they said oh there blind after being told they have vision problems?

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

I don't see it as a big deal to be honest but the CMs usually don't do it so I would have been surprised.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I wouldn't find it offensive, but the CMs should not be asking about actual medical conditions.
Agree.
Asking for the diagnosis gets into issues with the ADA. They are allowed to ask what needs a person has, but are not supposed to ask what the diagnosis is.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
Lsdolphin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Agree.
Asking for the diagnosis gets into issues with the ADA. They are allowed to ask what needs a person has, but are not supposed to ask what the diagnosis is.

Also agree but sounds like they were trying to be helpful.
Lsdolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsdolphin View Post
Also agree but sounds like they were trying to be helpful.
I would agree that the CM was probably trying to be helpful - kind of cut to the chase and save some time, but they still are not supposed to ask.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #11
dizzydrop
Mouseketeer

My son is on the spectrum as well, he is diagnosed with a ton of things but officially his diagnosis states PDD NOS, it means he's on the autism spectrum but high functioning and not sure where to categorize him. When describing it to others I'm often asked if he's autistic...well he's in the autism spectrum so I guess he is to a certain degree but I don't even know what degree that is. I don't get offended by that question because autistic children have such a broad range of disabilities, even at Disney World I don't think it would bother me but it might strike a nerve with my son. We've never called him autistic to his knowledge, even though he's 11 he doesn't understand, so it could possibly cause an issue with questions arising from him. He probably shouldn't have asked if you child was standing right there but if not I don't think he was being offensive. Often times I've opened my mouth before I completely thought it through! I hope he enjoyed his day just the same!!

Me (Wakisha), DH(Phil) DS (11)DS(9)DD(6)DS(5)
May 2001-Offsite
February 2007-Allstar Movies
September 2011-Saratoga Springs Treehouse
December/January-2013/2014-Offsite-Clear Creek
July 2014-Offsite-Indian Ridge
dizzydrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

In this case I'm sure the CM had good intentions, but we all know what the road to heck was paved with, which is why the ADA is worded the way it is.

So, it doesn't matter if no harm is done in one particular case - that doesn't mean everybody doesn't have to learn to follow the rules. All those other cases matter, too.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzydrop View Post
My son is on the spectrum as well, he is diagnosed with a ton of things but officially his diagnosis states PDD NOS, it means he's on the autism spectrum but high functioning and not sure where to categorize him. When describing it to others I'm often asked if he's autistic...well he's in the autism spectrum so I guess he is to a certain degree but I don't even know what degree that is. I don't get offended by that question because autistic children have such a broad range of disabilities, even at Disney World I don't think it would bother me but it might strike a nerve with my son. We've never called him autistic to his knowledge, even though he's 11 he doesn't understand, so it could possibly cause an issue with questions arising from him. He probably shouldn't have asked if you child was standing right there but if not I don't think he was being offensive. Often times I've opened my mouth before I completely thought it through! I hope he enjoyed his day just the same!!
At my sons school-a red dot next to their name signifies special needs.
Supposed to be discreet!?
My ds is not impressed by this at all.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: