Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
JenniBugInPink
Nobody has seen them since 1984

Immune Disorder - DAS?

I've been going to WDW 3 times in the last ~8 years or so, always using an ECV (after trying not to on that first trip and failing, LOL). I have multiple issues I deal with, but for our upcoming trip in September I have a new one. I am now immunocompromised. I have essentially no immunoglobulins (like IgG, which you may or may not have heard of). I have rheumatoid arthritis, and the medication I received to treat it a year and a half ago wiped out my immunoglobulins. Normally they rebound fairly quickly, but mine never did and apparently aren't ever going to. So, I have to act kind of like your average transplant or cancer patient as far as avoiding potential infection goes.

I need to avoid crowds of people where possible. I wear gloves a lot and a mask when I have to (as much to remind myself not to touch my face with contaminated hands as anything else, because the mask will NOT completely block aerosolized virus or bacteria from entering.) I can't touch things like door handles, railings, etc. without going through immediate decontamination procedures, and I should own stock in antibacterial wipes.

I never used the GAC, but it appears I will need to try and get a DAS. It would be nice if I could wait for rides away from the huddled masses. I don't mind the wait, as I've always just parked the ECV and gone through the regular line before on foot. I just am a little afraid of all those people now!

Getting sick is a really scary proposition for me. A cold could kill me, you know? At home, I almost never leave the house. I almost chickened out on our trip, but if it kills me, so be it. I'd rather die due to a Disney trip than live staying home all the time. I'm in Stage III/IV kidney failure, so my kidneys will take me out one day anyway. It's been three years and I miss WDW!

What do you think my chances are for the DAS?
JenniBugInPink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: