Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
shburks
DIS Veteran
 
shburks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dover, DE
Posts: 1,542

Best Place to Rent ECV?

I'm planning a trip that involves an older gentleman who will need an ECV. This is new to me, so I'm figuring my way through this! He normally just walks with a cane but will need more assistance to do Disney. They're staying in a Disney resort so will need to rent from one of the approved Disney providers.

I read not good things about Apple Scooters, so I kind of scratched them from my list.

That leaves me with the following:

CARE Scooters
Buena Vista
Best Price Mobility
Scooter Bug

CARE seems to be the most expensive. Does anyone have experience with or recommendations for or against Buena Vista, Best Price Mobility or Scooterbug?

Thanks so much!
__________________

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW:All Star Sports Oct 2014 * Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2014 * Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,119
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shburks View Post
... They're staying in a Disney resort so will need to rent from one of the approved Disney providers. ...
I just wanted to point out that there is no "requirement" to rent from the "Featured Vendors" if staying onsite. These are vendors who have agreed to certain terms with WDW and therefore are allowed to utilize Bell Services at the resorts for pick-up and drop-off. Other vendors are not necessarily inferior in any way and they will make arrangements to meet you personally for drop-off and pick-up of the ECV. If he is not familiar with using an ECV on a regular basis, this may actually be a better option because they will go over details of how to use the ECV.

I'm not sure how current, but the disABILITIES FAQ sticky near the top of this forum does include feedback from DISers about various vendors -- both Featured and Non-Featured.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 36,218

Frankly, I recommend Walker, Randy's and Scootaround. Great experiences with all three, multiple times.

To the best of my knowledge, the "approved" companies have paid a fee to Disney for the ability to use Bell Services instead of having to meet the client after arrival.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
gwb
Mouseketeer
 
gwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 148

rented over 6 times with Apple and never had an issue
gwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
The Hunchback
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 53

Walker Scooter Rental. Just let them know you need a bus approved scooter. The pink ones go really fast.
The Hunchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #6
Pooks
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11

Has anyone rented from Apple Scooters recently?
I'm only asking because we used them last year when we stayed at POFQ, and their customer service was brilliant. Every email was answered promptly.
But I've contacted them several times via email within the last month, and haven't had a single reply from them.
Are they still in business?
Is there any other way to contact them to ask for a quote, other than phoning them (I'm in the uk so would work out expensive) ?
Thanks
Pooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
trishwal
Convince me to take our family to Disneyland.
 
trishwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 136

We just got back from a trip last week and rented from Randy's Mobility. His scooter and customer service was AWESOME! It was only $150 for 6 days - you just can't beat that. Our dad had the most wonderful time due to the fact that he was able to save all his energy for having fun instead of needing to walk or stand for long periods.
__________________
1984 - First Disney World Visit at age 14
1992 - Disney World Honeymoon with my new husband!
2003 - Disney World with the in-laws, DS's 6th birthday at AK and DD age 2
2007 - 7 day Disney World with DS-10 and DD-6
2012 - 2 Days onsite at Universal and 3 Days Disney at Bonnet Creek DS-15, DD-11
2014 - 13 of us (parents, siblings, and all our kids) 4-Day WDW staying in a 7 BR Emerald Island villa
trishwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
swimmer94
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 3

We rented from scooter bug and had awesome service. We called the day that we arrived and with no notice beforehand they had it to us in a half hour. The scooter looked brand new and held a charge for two full days without dropping even a bar. We rented for 14 days and I believe it came to about 250$ but I'm not positive. Pickup went just as smoothly and the guy who came was super friendly. We had no problems so I can't really speak to their out of hours service. Overall we were super impressed with how easy the whole thing was.
swimmer94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!
 
js's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 4,447

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Frankly, I recommend Walker, Randy's and Scootaround. Great experiences with all three, multiple times.

To the best of my knowledge, the "approved" companies have paid a fee to Disney for the ability to use Bell Services instead of having to meet the client after arrival.
Hi.
When you say Walker, do you mean Walker Mobility?
We have rented from there a few times and will do so again if they can meet me (for my mom) when I check in to GFVs.

Last year, I rented from Apple since Walker Mobility could not leave at Bell Services any longer and we had a couple of issues and I rather not rent from them again.

Thank you.
__________________
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
pcgcor1
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2

Smile disney trip

My daughter is planning to take a trip in August to Walt Disney World and she is bring her mom(me) and her mommom and I need a scooter because my health is not as good as it use to be can anybody tell me where to get one at a reasonable price for a week stay.Thank You
pcgcor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #11
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,831
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgcor1 View Post
My daughter is planning to take a trip in August to Walt Disney World and she is bring her mom(me) and her mommom and I need a scooter because my health is not as good as it use to be can anybody tell me where to get one at a reasonable price for a week stay.Thank You
Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread (or look near the top of this board).
Post 2 of that thread is about renting mobility devices and has a list of companies. It includes links to their websites and phone numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
I just wanted to point out that there is no "requirement" to rent from the "Featured Vendors" if staying onsite. These are vendors who have agreed to certain terms with WDW and therefore are allowed to utilize Bell Services at the resorts for pick-up and drop-off. Other vendors are not necessarily inferior in any way and they will make arrangements to meet you personally for drop-off and pick-up of the ECV. If he is not familiar with using an ECV on a regular basis, this may actually be a better option because they will go over details of how to use the ECV.

I'm not sure how current, but the disABILITIES FAQ sticky near the top of this forum does include feedback from DISers about various vendors -- both Featured and Non-Featured.

Enjoy your vacation!
Yes - very important to keep in mind.
The 'featured' providers can drop off and pick up from a Bell Services and you will need yo schedule to meet the company rep for the other companies.

But, there are many good companies that are not 'featured/preferred' vendors.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #12
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,831
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by js View Post
Hi.
When you say Walker, do you mean Walker Mobility?
We have rented from there a few times and will do so again if they can meet me (for my mom) when I check in to GFVs.

Last year, I rented from Apple since Walker Mobility could not leave at Bell Services any longer and we had a couple of issues and I rather not rent from them again.

Thank you.
Yes, Walker Mobility
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #13
NYCrules
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 24

To quote my post on another topic here:

I've used Walker for 8+ years and never had a problem...Walker always has the best price and the scooters are always top notch! They also have techs on Disney property all day and pick up/deliver 7am-9pm 365 days a year. Highly recommend Walker.
Just my 2 cents...
NYCrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:43 AM   #14
wjacobsatlanta
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3

We leased 2 scooters for elderly parents in May and was very pleased with the outstanding service and quality provided by Walker Mobility. We are planning a Christmas/New Years stay in Orlando and will definitely use them again for that trip. Excellent company.
William
wjacobsatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #15
Toffeewoffy
Mouseketeer
 
Toffeewoffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South of London
Posts: 417

I didn't think Walker Mobility are the best-priced - but did think it was cute that I could order a pink ECV if I wanted (albeit slightly more expensive because I assume there's a certain amount of donation for breast cancer included in the cost).

I did, on the other hand, get a really good quote from Florida Mobility. They also deliver until 9pm - which no-one else seems to want to do!

Has anyone heard of them and can anyone recommend them? I read their own reviews, but they could just post their best and not the worst, so it isn't always accurate.

Cheers
Toffeewoffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.