Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #16
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebatonfan View Post
... We will both have magic bands, and I am considering doing a diy project with them. For DSis, I am considering writing "autistic" on her magic band somewhere and have DM's cell phone number on the inside. My band will most likely have "diabetic" on it and have my endo's and DF's phone numbers inside with a note that I am on an insulin pump. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
Instead of doing it on her MB which is a special momento,could you not get a charity band and write on that? I've also seen snap wristlet " not sure what you would call them" there a piece of material that has plastic in it that bends and when you tap it on a surface it rolls up like a bracelet,we got a plain one and wrote our numbers and diagnosis on that.
Keep in mind that a CM will NOT remove the MB or bracelet to read something written on the underside, especially in the event of a lost child. They may or may not even look at it to find anything written on the outside, but it has better chance of being seen that way than on the side against the skin.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I read recently that CMs "may" use MBs in the case of lost children to pull up the parent's MDE account info for a cell phone number. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but a possibility.

Enjoy your vacation!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #17
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Even without Disney, I think you find 3 personalities with disability "advertisement". Privacy, Pride, and Pretentious.

I get all 3 to a point...and I think the 3rd can come without realizing it's happening. It starts innocently enough then all of a sudden you're "that" person.

What really kills me is when other people sort of push the pride/pretentiousness onto those with issues. For instance tonight on America's Got Talent tonight there was a female singer, young, who has depression and anxiety. That was presented to the judges first..then she sang. Sure she was good but how much of their reaction is based on knowing that about her first? Why do things tend to be "they have this issue and they're such a good singer/dancer/etc" rather than "wow they're so good...and they happen to have this issue"? It irritates me when others make those with issues out to be on a pedestal, the "you're such an inspiration!" thing. I've had issues, still have some, but I'll be darned if anyone is going to impose that sort of view on me.

It's a bit tangent-y but I guess I bring that all up because I can't imagine putting someone what acts as a warning beacon. I guess I fall under a midset of Privacy and Pride, I don't advertise my issues but I don't keep them secret if it comes up, and I mention them if it's something that needs to be mentioned. If I had a child with an issue I'd do the same thing for them.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #18
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I am thinking about doing something similar for myself and DSis(13). DSis is also on the autism spectrum, and I am concerned that she might be separated from my family. She does not have the cognitive skills to know to find a CM to call DM.

I am a T1 diabetic, and I am afraid of going into a severe hypoglycemic episode while traveling the parks. I do have a medical ID bracelet, but I do not know if someone will notice it right away.

We will both have magic bands, and I am considering doing a diy project with them. For DSis, I am considering writing "autistic" on her magic band somewhere and have DM's cell phone number on the inside. My band will most likely have "diabetic" on it and have my endo's and DF's phone numbers inside with a note that I am on an insulin pump.

It might look really tacky, but I do not want to be in the situation where I am alone and have a diabetic emergency, or DSis is separated from the family, and CM's have no idea who to contact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Keep in mind that a CM will NOT remove the MB or bracelet to read something written on the underside, especially in the event of a lost child. They may or may not even look at it to find anything written on the outside, but it has better chance of being seen that way than on the side against the skin.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I read recently that CMs "may" use MBs in the case of lost children to pull up the parent's MDE account info for a cell phone number. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but a possibility.

Enjoy your vacation!
I agree with lanejudy. I have also read that CMs could use the information the Magicbsnd is linked to, bu don't know if it's true that they use it in lost child situations.

My thought since you are planning on writing Diabetic and putting contact phone numbers on the inside of your Magicband is that you have a generic medical ID.

If that is true, I would suggest getting one instead from MedicAlert. Medical care providers and first responders are taught to look for a medical tag in situations where the person can't speak for themselves. With MedicAlert, the band is engraved with a short list of your medical conditions and ia member number, along with MedicAlert's 24 hour phone number. By calling that number, medical care providers can get contact information that you keep in and keep up to date.
www.medicalert.org

MedicAlert can also be used for people with autism and they have some special services available for people with autism, including a GPS service.
http://www.medicalert.org/products/gps/autism

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 06-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #19
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy

Enjoy your vacation!
We always write our on the outside! And a Cm has used it twice while at disney it was a great help.
We taught our son to give the band to the cm when ever he gets lost,
Or to at least point- show the hand! Many CMs know that this means the child is wanting you to read something.

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
Old 06-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #20
acebatonfan
VMKer at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post

Enjoy your vacation!
Thanks for the information. My medical ID has my name, condition, and DF's cell written on the underside. I have a similar form of medical ID on my phone's lock screen (photo, name, condition, DF and DM's numbers, medications), but I do not know if CMs are allowed to use my phone to get that information.

In the long run, it might not be worth it to write down conditions on the MB. Luckily, there has not been a lost child situation with DSis yet. I will most likely force one member of my party to be with me at all times and train them in how to handle those emergencies.

It would be nice if notes could be written using the MDE app that could be accessed by scanning the MB's. It would be so much easier writing "Diabetic -if unconscious, use red glucagon in the outside pocket of purse. Call 911 and this number" than trying to find a way to put that information in an easy-to-see location for CM's.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #21
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I agree with lanejudy. I have also read that CMs could use the information the Magicbsnd is linked to, bu don't know if it's true that they use it in lost child situations.

My thought since you are planning on writing Diabetic and putting contact phone numbers on the inside of your Magicband is that you have a generic medical ID.

If that is true, I would suggest getting one instead from MedicAlert. Medical care providers and first responders are taught to look for a medical tag in situations where the person can't speak for themselves. With MedicAlert, the band is engraved with a short list of your medical conditions and ia member number, along with MedicAlert's 24 hour phone number. By calling that number, medical care providers can get contact information that you keep in and keep up to date.
www.medicalert.org

MedicAlert can also be used for people with autism and they have some special services available for people with autism, including a GPS service.
http://www.medicalert.org/products/gps/autism
I agree. Just get a medical id and wear that. If it's not an actual MedicAlert, you can get customized id's from many other sources. But the point is to wear it. EMTs are trained to look for those on the wrist (or dog tag). They are not going to look at a magic band (that everyone in the park is wearing). If you want to provide medical identification, wear a medical ID.

As for the shirts, I really find them quite horrible. I can't imagine wanting to define my child's every action by his disease, and that's pretty much what the shirts convey to me. That every action this child makes is a result of his or her disease. It's also why I hate the terms "autistic" "aspie" "diabetic" and the like. Kids are more than their disease. They have autism. They are on the spectrum. They have diabetes. They aren't their disease.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #22
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It would be nice if notes could be written using the MDE app that could be accessed by scanning the MB's. It would be so much easier writing "Diabetic -if unconscious, use red glucagon in the outside pocket of purse. Call 911 and this number" than trying to find a way to put that information in an easy-to-see location for CM's.
Something to keep in mind even if that was available not everyone knows how to do that or would be comfortable doing that. Also CM's are not allowed to touch anyone if they fall or collapse incase they either injure themselves or the person needing help. If you are unconscious they should be calling for the EMTs who as a previous poster said are trained to look for things like Medical Alert tags and then would work from there. If you don't have anything my guess would be they would look for something with a number they can call to get in touch with a family member.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
Old 06-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #23
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
It's also why I hate the terms "autistic" "aspie" "diabetic" and the like. Kids are more than their disease. They have autism. They are on the spectrum. They have diabetes. They aren't their disease.
My kids are smart, funny, loving...and autistic. There's nothing wrong with saying it. They are autistic. I wouldn't put my kids in autism shirts (have to wear Mickey at DW!) but if other parents want to do that, I have no problem with it. Oh, and my husband is diabetic. Yeah, I said that, too.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #24
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post
My kids are smart, funny, loving...and autistic. There's nothing wrong with saying it. They are autistic. I wouldn't put my kids in autism shirts (have to wear Mickey at DW!) but if other parents want to do that, I have no problem with it. Oh, and my husband is diabetic. Yeah, I said that, too.
That's good for you. Notice the use of "I" when I said , "I hate the terms.." and yes, I (again, see my use of the word I) think there is plenty wrong with using those words. Yeah, I said that too.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #25
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post
Um, good for you?

As I like to say, labels are for soup cans. Not for people.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Old 06-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #26
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

I don't see anything wrong with putting your kid in any shirt that you want. It's nobody else's business. I don't care for Oswald so I just don't wear anything with him on it. It doesn't bother me if somebody else wants to wear him on their shirt. I may not put my autistic kids in shirts that says "I'm autistic" but if someone else wants to, then more power to them. There's an autistic girl in my son's class with an adorable shirt that says "If you're happy and you know it flap your hands." I'd put them in that one in a heartbeat if we weren't all wearing our Mickey gear.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:05 AM   #27
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

This thread is deteriorating so I'm going to close it before it continues.

Key take-aways:
Some people do not mind being publicly associated with conditions, diseases, or related organizations.
Some people prefer to keep such preferences private.
It really is a personal preference. Whether wearing a shirt announcing such creates awareness within society, or simply calls negative attention to the wearer may depend on variables including the wearer's behavior and attitude as well as the viewer's observation skills and attitude. It is still a personal preference. As long as shirts do not include offensive language or graphics, it is allowed at WDW.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: