DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #16
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziravan View Post
I've been researching DVC for months. I'm going to buy first part of next year. In the meantime, we're going to WDW in Sept and we will take the tour...
make sure you have done enough research here so that the tour guides don't confuse or mislead you...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #17
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy~** View Post
I have found historic information of the maintenance fee increase but I would like information of the point value increase.
as stated, total points for the resort (for all the villas for every day of the whole year) is fixed. those pts can be reallocated (and have been a couple of times) but pt costs in general cannot increase through the life of the contract.

here is more detail for fun. you can see some of the reallocations in the links below:

2015 point chart for OKW

original pt charts for OKW (thanks to webmasterdoc).

here are some numbers:

Quote:
if you wanted a 1BR at OKW for 7 nights in may 1994, it would have cost 200 pts. if you wanted a 1BR at OKW for 7 nights in may 2015, it would cost 199 pts.

OTOH, if you wanted a studio for 5 nights sun-thurs in early december, your 35 pt stay cost in 1994 has now increased by 43% to 50 pts. weeknight stays have taken a hit...but if you just stayed 2 nights on a weekend in early december at OKW, your 34 pt stay in 1994 dropped a bit to 26 pts.
so when some numbers go up, others have to go down. or if everything goes up (as at BLT a couple of years back), then they have reclassified some rooms in the underlying room categories (i.e. there are fewer expensive "theme park view" villas at BLT now than a few years ago - and the extra pts from the formerly expensive villas got spread across the point chart.)

if you typically stay for 7 nights, i doubt you'll see any big changes (although early dec is popular enough that it won't surprise me if they move it to a different season.)

timesharing definitely involves a risk of change, so take that into account.

Last edited by chalee94; 06-09-2014 at 08:45 AM.
chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #18
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

VGC is a very small resort and very popular with West Coast residences, so demand is very high. I would not recommend buying a contract there to use mostly at WDW.

One possible suggestion. Buy a 150 point contract for your trips to WDW. Once you've bought in, then buy a 50-point contract for VGC. Bank and borrow that VGC contract so that every three years you have 150 points for a VGC stay. Then you can take advantage of the 11-month booking window without being all in on VGC.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #19
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy~** View Post
We did just recently (March and May) stay at SSR and BC (not villas) and visited all other DVC resort locations so I feel like I have my WDW locations narrowed down to SSR/OKW/BCV/WLV.
I was going to assume that you know about the resale market, but then I remembered what happens when we ASSUME -- so I won't.

There is a very active resale marketplace for DVC contracts, and for your choices, resale will offer you substantial savings. I believe DVD charges $130 per point for "sold-out" resorts; following are sample prices your resorts have recently sold for (different from "listed for") and have cleared ROFR:

OKW - $65-$70
SSR - $65-$75
VWL - $70-$80
BCV - $83- $85

Of course, annual dues comprise most of the cost of ownership, so you should also research those in the DVC Resources stickie at the top of this page.

The one notable difference between your four preferred resorts that you may not know is that the villas at OKW are WAY bigger than other DVC resorts. Our first-ever DVC trip was to OKW with Grandma and Great Auntie. We opened the door to our two bedroom and both elderly ladies looked at each other and said, "Oh my GAWD!!!"
JimMIA is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: