Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #16
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

They don't see the pain.
They don't see you getting grumpy because of the pain.
They don't see you missing out because of the pain.
They don't see you going back to the room early or skipping rides because of the pain.
They don't see how you have worked hard and saved up and want to get the most out of your vacation for you and your family.

Also, these people may see more people (overweight or not) on scooters at Disney than anywhere else...but that is because Disney is very accommodating to people with mobility issues and therefore they probably get more business because of that.

If anyone says "must be nice", then just say "I will gladly trade you the heart attack/bone spurs" or "Must be nice to be healthy".

The "must be nice" people can also rent a scooter if they like.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #17
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppony View Post
Almost 1 week ago, I may have had a mild heart-attack. I'm still in the middle of tests to see what the issue truly may have been. I also gets great deal of lower pack pain when I walk and my knees grind as well as I have bone spurs and a achilles tendonitis. I swear, I hit 40 and my "use by date" expired.

I'll bring a cane and when I'm pushing a stroller, I can put a lot of weight on it to take the stress off of my body a bit. BUT, I'm concerned that may not be enough this time.

Knowing how mean, heartless and cruel people are to persons in scooters, particularly if they are overweight, I'm deathly scared to even try a scooter. I mean really, REALLY scared. It's easy to say not to pay attention to others because they don't matter, but honestly, we're not all able to do that as easily as others. I'm one that has an incredibly hard time w/ it.

Does anyone have any advice or support that might help me feel a little less frightened? I'm already dealing w/ a great deal of shame w/ this. I KNOW I shouldn't be as shame only ever serves to worsen a situation and not ever fix one. But still, I'm working on it. This is the only forum I felt I could come to and hopefully not get summarily judged and shamed.

Although I can't give you any advice, I'm right with ya! I'm also dealing with medical issues, severe low back pain with sciatica, degenerative disc disease, etc. I should use a scooter, but like you, I'm so afraid of the comments and so self-conscious. But I just realized-there's lots of us in that position! See all those people in the parks riding scooters? I'll bet a good percentage of them are first-timers just like you, dealing with the fear and anxiety, but physically feeling better than they would trying to walk. So for every stupid, mean, thoughtless comment, there's a first-timer in a scooter just like you.
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #18
ppony
Artist in residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Although I can't give you any advice, I'm right with ya! I'm also dealing with medical issues, severe low back pain with sciatica, degenerative disc disease, etc. I should use a scooter, but like you, I'm so afraid of the comments and so self-conscious. But I just realized-there's lots of us in that position! See all those people in the parks riding scooters? I'll bet a good percentage of them are first-timers just like you, dealing with the fear and anxiety, but physically feeling better than they would trying to walk. So for every stupid, mean, thoughtless comment, there's a first-timer in a scooter just like you.
I love it! You guys have such a great and positive way of looking at things. It DOES make you feel better when you realize that you're not alone.

My DH also really liked the comment about "putting your Disney ears on" and only hearing the positive. Easier said than done too especially when you're hyper-aware that hundreds of people are looking down on you, quite literally. But you can do it.

I'm REALLY thankful for this forum. THANK YOU guys.

PS: good news is the stress test, x-rays and blood work all showed no sign of heart damage. Or anything else actually. I was having coming and going pains for 4 days after, but that has since stopped. Maybe it was just my body giving me a "shot across the bow" to get more SLEEP and be kinder to myself.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #19
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

All of us have lived through the "must be nice to ride instead" comment. Some have even asked for a ride.

I answer that "you can have a ride on my scooter IF you will lend me your legs!" Gets them every time!!!

Please take care of yourself. This is about YOU - not about what others think. You will have a better time if you just relax & realize that an ECV is what will get you to do things you couldn't do if you didn't have it. It's OK to help yourself get around! You deserve it!
Old 06-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #20
Gilrond
Mouseketeer

All of us who use ECVs in the parks have had a first time too.

Drive slow, be vigilant - people walking and texting.

Yeah, sometimes there are looks that say "you are slowing me up" but there has always been a helping hand volunteering when I have needed one. One of the nicest acts of kindness in a CS queue was from family with young child with cancer.
Gilrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #21
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilrond View Post
Yeah, sometimes there are looks that say "you are slowing me up" but there has always been a helping hand volunteering when I have needed one. One of the nicest acts of kindness in a CS queue was from family with young child with cancer.
A million times this - that one silly woman was drowned out by the multitudes of kind people who held doors, helped me with my crutches, gave me a hand getting in and out of boats, and were generally just awesome. And those were just the guests; the bus drivers were SO patient and helpful!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #22
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
A million times this - that one silly woman was drowned out by the multitudes of kind people who held doors, helped me with my crutches, gave me a hand getting in and out of boats, and were generally just awesome. And those were just the guests; the bus drivers were SO patient and helpful!
It's the truth!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #23
FoxyGranny
Earning My Ears

Rent and enjoy

The scooter will enhance your Disney experience . The issue is preserving your energy by using the scooter.

Your health issues, additional walking requirements in Disney, and hot Florida sun will zap you otherwise.

So rent and enjoy your time at WDW
FoxyGranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:51 PM   #24
yankeepenny
YANKEE Sock Crocker

Dear OP,

just remember: Regarding the nasty folks and comments, Karma will find them. She always does.

have a great time.

Gleeker in every sense.

Thing 1 & Thing 2
yankeepenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 AM   #25
nanadeb
Mouseketeer

Don't forget the cane!

I found that having my cane with me when I used my ecv at Disney World made a lot of difference in how I was perceived. I saw people give other people of size with ecv's "the look", but then see that my cane was folded up in my basket and quickly do the "I don't see anyone with a handicap," eye swivel!
Having the cane clearly in sight can be your anxiety reducer because it shows the mobility need for the ecv. Most people just don't go out and buy a cane just for looks or to get sympathy. Having the cane with you shows that you plan on walking when you can, but you need the help the ecv gives you.
An ecv or a disability is not a mark of shame. It's a way of saying that you are going to live life no matter what.
nanadeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #26
ppony
Artist in residence

I just wanted to thank everyone one of you again. I actually started looking into renting them today. Despite my exercising, the pain isn't getting better, and I just can't see the typical 10 miles walked a day at the parks possible when I can't walk half a block without crying in pain. I WILL bring my cane, and thanks for reminding me. I keep it in the car but forget it wen I have my son and the stroller. It's funny, I bought it 10 years ago for my dad at an art fair. Beautifully colored wood and turned in an ice cream cone-like twist. Sadly, it was too short for him and is oddly GREAT for me! Good! It was $100. It'll be very helpful when I don't have anything else to lean on or sit in.
We just went to a local theme park this past week and the experience was degrading and shaming. I didn't rent a scooter, I had my son's stroller and just sat, a LOT. But sadly, I had to get off of 2 rides because I was too big. It was humiliating to be in a car and have to get out. THANK GOD for Disney where we can feel more part of our family.

As you know, I've never rented before. We always rent a car. What experiences do people have w/ that and having a scooter? I'm not actually sure what I weigh as my eating disorder counselors don't like me to know right now. But I did catch a glimpse when I had to be weighed when I was having those heart tests and I'm below 325, but not by much I don't think. Any advice? Will having one and a car/van be OK or hard?

Again, I'm SO blessed that you guys have such kind hearts. THANK YOU for sharing them w/ me.

Last edited by ppony; 06-13-2014 at 11:05 PM.
ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:07 AM   #27
Gilrond
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad you decided to rent an ECV. You will be able to do so much more.

The ECVs that can be disassembled and transported in trunk of a car would not be the size that you need. All others would require an accessible van or a mounted carrier (not sure you can get that as a rental car feature). If you are staying on site, using Disney transport would the easiest. A helpful Disney bus driver beats the do it yourself in and out of a van unless you were experienced.

Choose an ECV that will be comfortable for you - I use a small one to go distances at work but would really not want to spend long periods of time in the not very padded seat. Also, the closer a person is to the weight limit, the less time the batteries will last without recharging (my only "stranded" experience was near my office). You can request one with a cane holder.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation.
Gilrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #28
tomato
Mouseketeer

Oh, please please please do not give it a second thought. Rent the scooter and go enjoy yourself! I was in a similar head space to you and ended up having one of the most enjoyable trips using a scooter!

Two years ago I injured my knee the night before we left for our trip. I never told my family and decided I would just suck it up and deal with it. Then on our very first ride (the Matterhorn), I twisted it again and made it worse. I came off that ride in tears and then broke down and told them I couldn't handle walking the park for the next 5 days. I told them they should go on without me and I would just hang out at the hotel for five days.

They were having none of that and said they'd rent me a wheelchair. It was beastly hot and I didn't want anyone pushing me for five days and exhausting themselves.

That night in my hotel room I came here to the Disboards and said I was so worried about the stigma attached to riding on a scooter. I'm a big girl and I figured everyone would look at me and say, "Lazy!! Too lazy to walk on her own two feet!"

Everyone here changed my mind and assured me that I needn't worry about it. For my family's sake, if nothing else, I should rent the scooter.

So I did. And guess what? It was an amazing trip and we all had an amazing time. If anyone looked down their nose at me, I didn't notice or care. I was grinning from ear to ear.

My kids called me Lightening McQueen and loved the fact that not only could I keep up with my family of power walkers, sometimes I actually got there before them!

One major bonus: a big basket to carry everyone's stuff so no one had a hot and heavy backpack on them. Plus I was much more comfortable in the heat because you actually get a bit of wind blowing at you when you get up some speed, hahaha!

This coming trip it has already been decided that I will rent a scooter again. I had a terrible winter with two lung infections and I don't have my stamina back yet. I won't hold back my family by making them walk at a snail's pace and stop and wait for me to rest every 10 minutes.

I know this is long already but I want to add ... not everyone has a VISIBLE disability that requires them to need a scooter. I can walk but not for long distances and standing in long lines on top of that would mean I couldn't last a day. It's nobody's business but mine (and my family's). Me being on an ECV doesn't impede or impact anyone else's ride or experience (except it makes my family's experience better instead of me being a liability to them)!

Please go and enjoy it without another second thought.

And my best wishes for your future good health!
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:28 PM   #29
nanadeb
Mouseketeer

Disassemble it yourself ECV very possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilrond View Post
The ECVs that can be disassembled and transported in trunk of a car would not be the size that you need. All others would require an accessible van or a mounted carrier (not sure you can get that as a rental car feature)..
The Pride Victory 9 and 10 are both fairly easy to disassemble and put into the trunk of a large car (plus part in the back seat). I have the Victory 9 myself and know that it will handle your size. More than one of the Orlando scooter rental companies rents these models out. Just ask when you call ahead to reserve a scooter. You usually get a better deal on a multiple day rental. WDW has their preferred companies, but other companies can deliver to other hotels, timeshares, and resorts. HTH
nanadeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #30
The Hunchback
Earning My Ears

Rent the scooter. You will need it.

I am still concerned on who is pushing the baby Stroller. You cannot drive the Scooter and the stroller at the same time. The baby cannot ride on the scooter with you either. Do you have a plan for that?
The Hunchback is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: