Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Disney has a beach resort? Count me in! Update - Day 6

Hi! The whole famn damily will be visiting Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort from 6/8 - 6/15! I figured I'd get my feet wet with a trip report on this resort and get some practice for a possible TR for our WDW trip later this year

It's been roughly 3 years since our kids have been to the beach. I'm crazy excited to get them back to it! The Mr. and I were in HHI a few years ago for a few days for business and loved the little bits we got to experience! We don't have many opportunities to head to community pool, so we'll also be throwing our kids in and hoping for the best. Sink or swim guys!

In the end, if I can get some rest, play in the sand with my kids, eat my weight in crab legs, and see dolphins I'm a happy camper. Find a sand dollar? Bonus points!

The Gang

Me - Type A, semi-spoiled, video game extraordinaire

Cecil - laid back, salt water fish enthusiast, gags when confronted with condiments

Skyler (8 ) - quirky, loves ballet, moods can change with the weather

Danica (6) - sarcastic, people pleaser, prone to randomly breaking out into song and dance

The Jood - Teacher, thespian, unable to perform a task without humming

Saturday we have 3 separate dance recitals from 3p - 7:30p (kill me now) before we drive through the night and end up in HHI early Sunday morning. It still hasn't quite registered that the trip is only a few days away. I haven't packed (tomorrow I swear!), I haven't finalized our plans, and I haven't confirmed all our TV shows are recording. I did buy books to read today though - baby steps.

Softball just started, school ends Friday, dance finishes up Saturday and then we leave... I think my brain is just completely shutting down. This will be a welcome break

If there's anything specific you'd like me to find out or look for while we're there just let me know here! We definitely have Salty Dog, Lawton Stables, and a few unlimited crab leg joints on the schedule! The kids will be doing some of the artsy projects the resort offers and we have the Pirate buffet at the resort scheduled for Tuesday :D

Level of excitement on a scale of 1 - Tom Cruise...

Arrival Day Part 1
Arrival Day Part 2
Day 1 - Monday
Day 2 - Tuesday
Day 3 - Wednesday
Day 4 - Thursday
Day 5 - Friday Part 1
Day 5 - Friday Part 2
Day 6 - Saturday

Last edited by aaarcher86; 07-24-2014 at 12:15 PM.
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
PoppyGirl
The kiddies come for the autographs but the mummies come for the captain!

It's been a long time since I followed a trip report! Can't wait to see where this goes!

(POR) Jan 2007 (HoJo) June 2007 (CSR) Girlfriends Trip Jan 2008 (POP)/Wonder Cruise Mar 2009 (CSR) Mom/DS Trip June 2009 (DLH) Girlfriends' B-day Celebration Feb 2010 (DLH) DH B-day Celebration July 2010 (AKL) Christmas Miracle Trip December 2010 (Wyndham Bonnet Creek) Girls Only Mother Daughter February 2011 (POFQ) Mother Daughter February 2012 (AKL) Mother Daughter February 2013 (Grand Californian) Girls Days Out May 2013 (Yacht Club) Best Friends at Food & Wine October 2013 (Wilderness Lodge) Marvin & Abigail Mother Daughter January 2014

PoppyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
mguilford1
Mouseketeer

Following along!!! The girls are adorable! Funny when you get to put faces to names. I coached softball for 15 years it did not leave much time for vacations unless you consider random hotels each weekend and being out on a sandy, sunny softball field sweating.....vacation LOL but it was one of the best times of our lives and I miss it!!!!
Old 06-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
SusieBea
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Disney introduced us to HHead, and we enjoyed it so much we bought a vacation home there. (It's Disney's fault ) When you go to the Salty Dog and Lawton, I would suggest (unsolicited advice - sorry) that you also go down to Harbour Town. Check out the local publications available at grocery store exits. There is entertainment for kiddos there periodically and a wonderful playground - oh, and shopping, did I mention shopping? Have a great trip. I'm anxious to read more.
Off-site '75, 82, 85; 89: CBR; 92: PO: 93: Disney Inn; 94: OKW(2); 95: OKW(2); 96: HHI & OKW(2); 97: VB & OKW; 98: OKW(3); 99: OKW, DCL, & BW; 2000: OKW & VWL; 01: HHI & OKW; 02: Ft. Wild. cabins; 03: OKW & GF; 05: OKW, SSR, & Yacht Club; 06: OKW; 07: OKW; 08: Grand Californian; 09: OKW; 10: OKW(2) & OKW Grand Villa! 2011: AKV (2) & OKW (3); 2012: OKW (3); 2013: OKW (3); 2014: BLT & Kidani; UPCOMING TRIPS: - 2014: GFV & OKW - Sept; SSR & OKW - December
SusieBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

As I was lazily Facebooking earlier today I noticed this news story. WHAT THE WHAT?!

http://www.fox19.com/story/25687038/...ampaign=buffer

Honestly, if I saw this behemoth while jogging I'd probably try to take a selfie at a distance with it. I always look for alligators in the ponds around Disney and never happen to see one. I saw a tiny one once in Myrtle Beach and tried to touch it with my big toe. I was unsuccessful. No lectures - I know I shouldn't :D

Cecil also informed me that he threw up last night and again this morning when he took the kids to school. Lovely. He slept for a good 5 hours and seems fine. Fingers crossed. He ate 2 bowls of cereal, so in my opinion, he's well enough to get outside and change the brake pads on my car! Get to it, Sir!
Old 06-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyGirl View Post
It's been a long time since I followed a trip report! Can't wait to see where this goes!

Awesome! Thanks for hanging around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguilford1 View Post
Following along!!! The girls are adorable! Funny when you get to put faces to names. I coached softball for 15 years it did not leave much time for vacations unless you consider random hotels each weekend and being out on a sandy, sunny softball field sweating.....vacation LOL but it was one of the best times of our lives and I miss it!!!!
Thanks! The kids are cute, but don't let it fool you! May is always a rough month. The end of soccer, the last leg of dance, and the beginning of softball all come together! I'm still not sure whether the kids really love softball itself or just playing in the dirt, but we'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBea View Post
I'm in! Disney introduced us to HHead, and we enjoyed it so much we bought a vacation home there. (It's Disney's fault ) When you go to the Salty Dog and Lawton, I would suggest (unsolicited advice - sorry) that you also go down to Harbour Town. Check out the local publications available at grocery store exits. There is entertainment for kiddos there periodically and a wonderful playground - oh, and shopping, did I mention shopping? Have a great trip. I'm anxious to read more.
A vacation home? How fun! We're hoping to move to SC in 3 - 4 years. It's always been the Myrtle Beach area in my husband's head, but I'm really considering the Hilton Head area. I love all the activities in Myrtle but I adore the beaches at Hilton Head.

I know we've been to Harbour Town and definitely plan on it again with the kids. I can't quite orient myself to where everything is on the island from the last time we were there. Is Harbour Town the area inside South Beach with Salty Dog? With the lighthouse? Or that the little area that is next to the resort? Hopefully it will all come back to me when we get there!

Thanks for the publications tip. I was wondering if they had anything like that around the area. We're going to hit up the Kroger near the resort for our breakfast and lunch meals so I'll snag some while we are there!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

You are going to love HHI! It was a pure joy to watch my family actually relax on vacation and HHI is so beautiful!

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:41 AM   #8
SusieBea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I know we've been to Harbour Town and definitely plan on it again with the kids. I can't quite orient myself to where everything is on the island from the last time we were there. Is Harbour Town the area inside South Beach with Salty Dog? With the lighthouse? Or that the little area that is next to the resort? Hopefully it will all come back to me when we get there!
Harbour Town, the Salty Dog restaurant, and Lawton Stables are all within Sea Pines Plantation at the south end of the Island.
Off-site '75, 82, 85; 89: CBR; 92: PO: 93: Disney Inn; 94: OKW(2); 95: OKW(2); 96: HHI & OKW(2); 97: VB & OKW; 98: OKW(3); 99: OKW, DCL, & BW; 2000: OKW & VWL; 01: HHI & OKW; 02: Ft. Wild. cabins; 03: OKW & GF; 05: OKW, SSR, & Yacht Club; 06: OKW; 07: OKW; 08: Grand Californian; 09: OKW; 10: OKW(2) & OKW Grand Villa! 2011: AKV (2) & OKW (3); 2012: OKW (3); 2013: OKW (3); 2014: BLT & Kidani; UPCOMING TRIPS: - 2014: GFV & OKW - Sept; SSR & OKW - December
SusieBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:36 AM   #9
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Heading out from the Cleveland area Saturday morning. Staying outside of Savannah Saturday night and will tour Savannah Sunday morning and have lunch at Paula Deen's before heading to HHI in the afternoon.

See you there!
Old 06-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
Heading out from the Cleveland area Saturday morning. Staying outside of Savannah Saturday night and will tour Savannah Sunday morning and have lunch at Paula Deen's before heading to HHI in the afternoon. See you there!
Awesome! See you there! We should be in early Sunday. The forecast is looking pretty bleak for the week (ohai Dr. Seuss!). Hoping that changes!
Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #11
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBea View Post
Harbour Town, the Salty Dog restaurant, and Lawton Stables are all within Sea Pines Plantation at the south end of the Island.
Awesome thanks!
Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
You are going to love HHI! It was a pure joy to watch my family actually relax on vacation and HHI is so beautiful!
IM sure we will love it! Can't wait!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
scottb8888
Mouseketeer

Check in with Mike the pool guy! He is a wealth of information!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
lovewdwdvc
DIS Veteran

Do Nothing

What are your average hours per day reading?

RESORTS: POP, ASSp, Poly, BWI, SSR, CBR, Swan, VWL, AKL, Dixie Landings, POR, PORFQ,BWV. BCV, Fort Wilderness Cabin, BCV

Last edited by lovewdwdvc; 06-13-2014 at 05:08 PM. Reason: change question
lovewdwdvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #15
CocosMeme
DIS Veteran

We just got back from our HHI trip (June1-8) and it was wonderful! Don't forget to rent bicycles from the resort. It was so much fun. We rode them over to the beach pool. We loved going over to the Shelter Cove restaurants for dinner. You can walk and almost all of them have nightly entertainment. Harbour Town was great. I know you will love the trip. Oh - they had a Pirate Party by the pool one night that was lots of fun. Kayak tour was fun too.
CocosMeme is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: