Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





View Poll Results: is a visibility "enhancement" for the button needed?
YES, if so what (GKTW Shirt / Special made Shirt / something else...) 0 0%
NO, in 90% of the time a cast member will see you just fine without the need to say anything 5 100.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
alexwick
Earning My Ears
 
alexwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 47

Red face GKTW BUTTON USAGE questions

Hello folks,
We are staying in May at Give kids the world and visiting Universal Sea World and WDW. (more in my Signature)

Now I am just wondering how the Give kids the world button actually works, because generally to simplify it it should give us front of line access for what I understand for all rides.

Now I believe its a "normal size" button... I don't know how many cast members work on each attraction, and how obvious that button is? Do people notice that button? Or are enhancements necessary?

I mean generally it should provide FOL access without having the bad "taste in my mouth" of feeling like your cutting in someones line, and getting reactions as such. I mean that IS what you are doing essentially: "cutting in line "with permission"...."

But it would make a much better experience if that first step of getting to the front of the line is initiated by a cast member and not by us... So is that usually the case? Or do you guys suggestion a additional T-Shirt etc? or is this not necessary? OR how are you experiences with the button?

Please vote and explain in the thread....


THANKS to all who can chimp in on that!
alexwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
LisaBi
DIS Veteran
 
LisaBi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,506

I have NOT personally gone as a WISH family, but it seems like as soon as a CM sees the button they grab you and direct you. If they don't see you, it is almost always very easy to approach the first CM you see and simply ask them where you should go. There is generally a CM stationed at the entrance to all lines. It is a slightly larger button IIRC,and CMs are great at noticing buttons of all sorts. For example, I was wearing a birthday button last year, and nearly every CM we encountered wished me a happy birthday.
LisaBi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,704
DISboards Moderator

I'm not speaking from experience, so I could be wrong... but based on several posts I've read over time, while most believe WISH kids *should* get FOTL, it doesn't always happen exactly like that. I believe what I've read is that it more likely will get you into the FP line; *possibly* pulled ahead of others or taken to a back entrance/exit.

Personally, I would have no problem if a WISH family were brought to the front, and that seems to be the general consensus on the boards here. While there may be some at the park who disagree, I think you need to set your mind not to let them worry you. I know as the parent of a child with significant enough needs to qualify for a WISH, you are well-familiar with shutting out closed-minded individuals and their comments.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
kellyw8863
DIS Veteran
 
kellyw8863's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 647

Unless things have changed, during orientation you'll be told to approach the CM at the ride and tell him or her you have a wish child. You'll then be directed to the FP line. It was really hard to get used to. I have heard that at Universal, you'll be taken out of line and through a back door, but we never made it there, so I can't speak from personal experience.
__________________
Kelly (Me - Mom) - Old Garth (DH - Dad) - Not Quite as Old

Maya (DD) - 9 Ali (DD - Wishkid) - 7


kellyw8863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,172

having been on MAW trips with 2 adopted grandsons, the GKTW button is size of birthday button. CMs look for them and point it out if it is missed. we had magical times on both trips. you did not ask but allow time to do some of the activities at GKTW. have a great trip and make lots of momories
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
JillyBean1899
Shiny
 
JillyBean1899's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lynn Haven, FL
Posts: 1,023

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwick View Post
Hello folks,
We are staying in May at Give kids the world and visiting Universal Sea World and WDW. (more in my Signature)

Now I am just wondering how the Give kids the world button actually works, because generally to simplify it it should give us front of line access for what I understand for all rides.

Now I believe its a "normal size" button... I don't know how many cast members work on each attraction, and how obvious that button is? Do people notice that button? Or are enhancements necessary?

I mean generally it should provide FOL access without having the bad "taste in my mouth" of feeling like your cutting in someones line, and getting reactions as such. I mean that IS what you are doing essentially: "cutting in line "with permission"...."

But it would make a much better experience if that first step of getting to the front of the line is initiated by a cast member and not by us... So is that usually the case? Or do you guys suggestion a additional T-Shirt etc? or is this not necessary? OR how are you experiences with the button?

Please vote and explain in the thread....


THANKS to all who can chimp in on that!
To the best of my knowledge, I never missed a group when I worked at Universal. Even if I'd had to duck into the queue for something, I'd see them on my way back out front. Most of them were also wearing MAW or GKTW T-shirts, and a group in matching T-shirts is a real attention-getter.

That being said, if you want to "embellish" the button, why not? Find some blinky lights for it, put curly ribbons on it, whatever your kid wants. Heck, even get him/her a goofy hat if they want one. After all, it's his/her trip, live it up!
__________________


I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
SMD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, Calif.
Posts: 1,710

If having a t-shirt will make your trip more special, then do that. But don't do it for other people's benefit. You could have a blinking neon sign that says wish trip and there will still be self-absorbed jerks who will think they should be the ones "cutting" the line. Give them exactly the amount of consideration they deserve, which is zero.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,643
DISboards Moderator

Unless the have changed things in the last 4 months, it is no longer a button.
In a October 2013, they changed to a laminated cutout of the Genie from Aladdin that can be worn on a lanyard.
If you choose also to wear some kind of special shirt is up to you. Some people use their Wish shirts as kind of a celebration, others don't enjoy the extra attention that special shirts might bring over and above the Genie.
So, it's up to you. As someone else said, don't wear special shirts for others, wear them for you.

As was mentioned, you will be told to approach a CM at each attraction, let them know that you are on a Wish trip, and ask how to access the attraction. In most cases, there is a Fastpass line and you will be directed to go into that line.
There may be some attractions with different access, but the CM will tell you what to do.

Most people are not going to notice you are entering the Fastpass line without using Fastpasses (unless you are wearing Wish shirts), so don't worry about that.
You may run into some meanspirited people, but the majority are either not going to notice your group out of all the other people in the parks or will be very nice.

If you have not seen it, there is a thread near the top of this board specifically for Wish trippers. There is general information in the first post and you can ask questions there too.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."
 
JKMJ441724's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bible belt
Posts: 1,701

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Personally, I would have no problem if a WISH family were brought to the front, and that seems to be the general consensus on the boards here. While there may be some at the park who disagree, I think you need to set your mind not to let them worry you. I know as the parent of a child with significant enough needs to qualify for a WISH, you are well-familiar with shutting out closed-minded individuals and their comments.

Enjoy your vacation!
__________________
The Magic KIMdom
That's the happy place inside my head

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
alexwick
Earning My Ears
 
alexwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 47

Thank you guys!
I really appreciate everyones time...

We originally thought to make shirts... but havnt really given it to much thought... so i was just looking for some feedback...

I also post in the wishtrippers "thread" ... it just sometimes doesnt seem to busy... so i wasnt sure where i will get more feedback... I might throw the question in there too... but your answers help already a lot!

I really wonder if it is still the button?!
alexwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #11
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,643
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwick View Post
Thank you guys!
I really appreciate everyones time...

We originally thought to make shirts... but havnt really given it to much thought... so i was just looking for some feedback...

I also post in the wishtrippers "thread" ... it just sometimes doesnt seem to busy... so i wasnt sure where i will get more feedback... I might throw the question in there too... but your answers help already a lot!

I really wonder if it is still the button?!
I can confirm that it is NOT a button.
It is a laminated cutout of the genie from Aladdin on a cord lanyard.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
button, gktw



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.