Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #391
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

For ECVs, Sue has it right. DCA doesn't generally have any attractions with return times, as the lines are mainstreamed. There are sometimes exceptions, such as RSR, if the wheelchair queue is beginning to get too backed up, they will sometimes issue return times (usually a longer wait than the standby line though) to spread out the wheelchairs. This has become extremely rare with the new DAS system fully implemented, but I have heard that it does still happen from time to time.

DL is a different story all together, return times are given out for:
  • All of Fantasyland, except the Matterhorn, which has a mainstreamed queue.
  • Finding Nemo Subs (when and if they reopen)
  • Space Mountain
  • Astro Orbiter
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Pirates
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Splash Mountain
  • Big Thunder (Rumor has it that this queue may become mainstreamed when it reopens though)
  • Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin (Only when FP is running, otherwise it is a mainstreamed queue when it isn't running)
  • Autopia, when the queue is going up the steps (NOTE: The lift is broken more that it is running at this attraction, so be sure to ask if it is running before getting a return time, not all CMs stop to think about the lift being down as a problem that would mean that the return time was useless. Likewise, if they are not giving out return times, always ask the first CM if the lift is working, nothing like getting up there and not being able to ride because the lift is broken).

In all cases, wheelchair and ECV return times must be used within 1 hour of the return time and they usually will just let you get on the ride if the wait time is 20 minutes or less.

Some other exceptions to the rules and things to note:
  • Gadget's Go Coaster is not mainstreamed, but at last report was not handing out return times, even when the line was over 20 minutes.
  • Innoventions - It should be noted that you will usually need to point out to the CMs that you need the alternate entrance, they usually try to direct you up the ramp, which is not accessible.
  • At Star Tours, you must now transfer to a wheelchair (there are ones provided) prior to using the elevator.
  • Peter Pan usually now requires transferring to a wheelchair prior to using the accessible entrance, but this does seem to vary by CM and in some cases by the size of the ECV, etc.

Since I don't personally use a wheelchair or ECV, there may also be others that I am unaware of, but these are the ones that I am aware of at this time from going with those that do.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #392
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep
I'm trying to avoid Emeldaitis

As for the rides that want you to transfer to a wheelchair, as a solo traveler, this probably won't work for me. I will most likely have a cane with me due to my arthritic knee. Hopefully I can just walk from that point. The ECV is mainly to avoid further damage to the knee and my lack of stamina. I will keep watching this thread for more info.
CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #393
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

Provided the necessary accommodations are met for access, this is what to expect in the time management stamina changes to the system?

If the ride standby wait time posted is 90 mins. "Regular" rider should expect to board the ride at approximate the 90 min mark.

DAS Rider-no mobility issues or main stream line: Go to kiosk and to be given a ride return time for 80 mins. ( 80 mins -10 min (walk to kiosk before the ride, wait time in the kiosk line, walk back to the ride.) wait time= 90 min ride line length.). At the 90 min mark, while 'Regular" rider is boarding the ride, the DAS rider will just be entering the fastpass lane. Thus the DAS user should expect to, and will be, waiting normal ride times PLUS the extra time equal to the wait in a fast pass line?

DAS rider in chair on non mainstream rides, or rides with special cars: Should expect even longer wait times than any of the examples above, since you will need to wait the 90 min stand by time, and then also wait for a wheelchair load time which is usually much longer than just a fastpass line? May possibly wait behind existing return wheelchair users or may even be turned away and asked to use a wheelchair return time, which could be 2 times or more the standard wait times posted in the regular line?

Last edited by Friendly Frog; 01-26-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #394
kritter47
Mouseketeer

The 10 minute wait time is not to make up for the walk, which is something every guest at the park must go through. It's to make up for the time spent waiting in the FP line. So your wait time, from the time you get to pick up the return time, should be the same as a standby guest entering the ride at that time (90 minutes in standby line or 80 minutes waiting somewhere else/doing other things plus 10 minutes in FP line).

Does it always work like that? No. Sometimes it's more, and sometimes it's less. But it's something that will even out over experience provided there aren't issues like mechanical failures or the occasional large group entering (which would back up the line for anyone, DAS guest or not).

For non-mainstream rides, there are more significant problems with equal wait time because of fire code restrictions. The simplest solution may be simple rationing of times because as per the fire code, there can only be a certain number of guests who cannot evacuate on their own on the ride at any given time. That would be far less than equal access if you walked up to a ride and found the next 15 wheelchair spots booked, but when the ADA runs into fire code, I think the fire code usually wins.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #395
gaznat13
Earning My Ears

wheelchair access DAS card

Hi

I am new to this thread and going to Disney for the first time the year. My son is 12 years old and has Hemiplegia Cerebral Palsy, I predict he will need a wheelchair for access around the parks as he tires easily and has difficulty in walking distances. In the UK where we live, he would get a disabled pass no problems, at theme parks but reading forums here it appears the new DAS card will not be given out on mobility issues relating to his disability issues alone, is this right?

I am just trying to get prepared for him, we will be going in August which will be very crowded. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #396
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaznat13 View Post
Hi

I am new to this thread and going to Disney for the first time the year. My son is 12 years old and has Hemiplegia Cerebral Palsy, I predict he will need a wheelchair for access around the parks as he tires easily and has difficulty in walking distances. In the UK where we live, he would get a disabled pass no problems, at theme parks but reading forums here it appears the new DAS card will not be given out on mobility issues relating to his disability issues alone, is this right?

I am just trying to get prepared for him, we will be going in August which will be very crowded. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaznat13 View Post
Hi

That is correct.
DAS is not for mobility related issues only.

This thread is about Disneyland. If you are going there, DCA (Disney's California Adventure) has accessible queues for most attractions. With a wheelchair, you would just get into the queue. This is why guests don't need a DAS for mobility devices - the CM can see the mobility device sand direct you to the correct place.

Disneyland Park has more older attractions which don't have accessible lines - in many cases, you enter thru the exit. For those, you would be given a wheelchair return card at the attraction. When the time comes, you would return and be allowed to enter.
The reason for giving return times is to avoid large lines of guests waiting for access.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 03-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #397
lovebug33
DIS Veteran

I've read the sticky and several posts but I just want to make sure I understand if you will humor me. My dd has low muscle tone and physical delays, so she can't walk or stand. That is her only issue. We will get a sticker saying we can take her stroller through the line. Correct? So when we are at Disneyland, we will just go through the line but with her stroller so that we don't have to carry her the entire day. I appreciate any help because we are new to this whole thing.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #398
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug33 View Post
I've read the sticky and several posts but I just want to make sure I understand if you will humor me. My dd has low muscle tone and physical delays, so she can't walk or stand. That is her only issue. We will get a sticker saying we can take her stroller through the line. Correct? So when we are at Disneyland, we will just go through the line but with her stroller so that we don't have to carry her the entire day. I appreciate any help because we are new to this whole thing.
That is correct

If the only concerns in line are mobility and would be met by using her stroller in lines as a wheelchair, all you will need is the sticker.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 03-12-2014, 01:10 AM   #399
Stitch35
Mouseketeer

I have read this entire thread and there is a lot of good info. I can't find info for my exact question, so hoping someone will have experience in this. DL has been our go to vacation since my DS5 was diagnosed with medical issue. It causes a lot of behavioral issues, several similar to ADHD and autism. My biggest concern is he gets stuck and there is absolutely no way to change his mind, if he wants to ride xx he's going to be in line for it NOW. His line breaking point is about 20min before a meltdown because he's not where he thinks he should be; people are too close to him; people are not moving fast enough; etc. These can be violent. The GAC was perfect for us. We did regular lines if they were short enough and used the GAC card otherwise. RR was UGLY last year with the hour wait time with GAC ticket. We only managed once in 12 days to ride RR and that was only because we got the FP while he was napping in his stroller. We are considering canceling our August trip and bidding ado to Disneyland. We are very sad since it was the only place he seemed to be understood and we could enjoy as a family relatively meltdown free. At least we will have the memories if he takes a turn for the worse.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:13 AM   #400
Stitch35
Mouseketeer

Sorry pressed send before I asked my question:

Anyone dealt with something like this on the new DAS system? If so how did it go? Any suggestions? Thank you!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #401
doberlady
It just never gets old to me
I adore the obsessiveness of Disney planning

maybe have someone else from your party get the return time with the new card so your son doesn't have to go near the ride until it's time

Dixie Landings 1993 * Dixie Landings 1997
Dixie Landings 2000 * Old Key West 2002
Old Key West 2005 * Old Key West 2006
Contemporary 2008 * Disney Magic 2009
POR/CR 2010 * Contemporary 2011
Contemporary 2012 * Beach Club CL 2014

Old 03-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #402
Stitch35
Mouseketeer

Unfortunately the August trip would be just myself and my DS8 and DS5. It's not the being near the ride, it's needing x ride. We can be at Midway and he will want splash and there's no way to change his mind and he won't budge until after he's been on splash.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #403
Pilotdog
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know how it works with a cane now? My mom has a cane and can not do stairs. In the past at DL she just went to the exit at rides and was let on or waited in the line at the exit. Will she now be given a WC return card?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #404
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotdog View Post
Does anyone know how it works with a cane now? My mom has a cane and can not do stairs. In the past at DL she just went to the exit at rides and was let on or waited in the line at the exit. Will she now be given a WC return card?
She would not get a DAS with a cane, unless there are other issues that are not addressed by having the cane and that could not be addressed by using a wheelchair or ECV. At attractions with a mainstreamed queue, she would be expected to wait in the queue up until the stairs, then directed the same way as those with a wheelchair. For attractions where there is a separate wheelchair entrance, she would be given a card at each attraction with a return time on it, based on the length of the line. So, let's say she wanted to ride Peter Pan (has a couple of steps in the queue as I recall), she would go to the exit, they would then give her a return time and she would come back at that time and wait for maybe 5-10 minutes upon returning, depending on how many people came back at the exact same time.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #405
asmit4
DIS Veteran

Cancer- tired very easily....

My cousin is dying of cancer. She's 41. She has only a few months left to live. She has a 5yo son and she wants to go to Disneyland next week. They already have their airline tickets. While she can walk and see and hear today- this could change at any time (it's brain cancer and it's affecting her abilities daily).

My question is- she gets tired VERY easily (reason she chose DL- smaller park than DW). Would she be able to get a disability access card based on her lack of ability to stand in line for long periods of time?
November 2013- Wyndham Bonnet Creek/AS Sports
October 2014- DVC- Saratoga Springs/Wyndham BC
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: