Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
BubblyTrip
Mouseketeer

5 yr old broken collarbone

My DS broke his collarbone today. We will be in MK for two days in two weeks (just him and I, no DH this trip). He'll be in a sling for six weeks. I see the ortho doc in a few days, but per the ER doc, the main issue will be not letting him fall or get hit. And of course, discomfort.

I have a stroller rented already (Citi Mini), that we planned to park in each land. We are going during 8/9 park days, so getting jostled / pushed is a good possibility. He also has poor coordination and falls more than your average fine year old.

Can you help me think of how best to manage this? Would a SAWC be useful?
Anything else? I've done some reading here, but I think I'm not really considering all the situations we will be in. I do have FP for MSEP and Wishes, so that should be less crowded.

Several trips as a kid
Offsite 1996 and 98
Contemporary April 2001 (with DH)
POFQ March 2013 (DS 1st trip)
WL March 2014 (Mom and DS trip)
Tentative WL April 2015
BubblyTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
jcano
Mouseketeer

Will he be able to ride anything? Question to ask the ortho.
Sorry you're dealing with this! Hope he bounces back fast!

1993 Off-site, 2002 Off-site, 2007 ASMo, 2008 POP, 12/2011 POFQ, beginning to plan for November 2014
jcano is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2014, 11:36 PM   #3
BubblyTrip
Mouseketeer

The ER doc said yes to roller coasters, but I will ask the ortho again for sure.

Several trips as a kid
Offsite 1996 and 98
Tentative WL April 2015
Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyTrip View Post
The ER doc said yes to roller coasters, but I will ask the ortho again for sure.
I would caution you against Big Thunder Mountain. The bench seating causes you to slide across the bench on curves. It would be very easy for him to get squished between you and the side of the car, causing him a lot of pain. It's usually one of the fun aspects of the ride, but not with a broken collarbone! Similar problem on Primeval Whirl.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My dh fell and broke his collarbone and there is nothing to do but let it heal in a sling - the pain is pretty bad when it is barely jostled, so no way would I plan on coasters or anything that moves you around.

They can't stabilize it at all other than the sling, and it doesn't exactly heal straight with that.

Sorry about your little guy, hope things go well on your trip.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
jcano
Mouseketeer

Is there any way to postpone your trip?
How's he doing? Just wondering what the ortho said.

1993 Off-site, 2002 Off-site, 2007 ASMo, 2008 POP, 12/2011 POFQ, beginning to plan for November 2014
Old 03-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Vitamin C is great for helping bones heal. I would start him on some right now and hopefully that will help speed the healing.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
BeveMom
Mouseketeer

Is there any way you can reschedule the trip? In all honesty, I'm shocked that the doctor even said you could go. My DS (6 at the time) fell before our scheduled trip last spring, and had hairline jaw fractures in two places. We didn't have to wire his mouth shut for healing or anything, but it would have still been extremely uncomfortable for him to go on rides, even the mild ones. I hope he feels better quickly!
BeveMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

If the doc OK's coasters...Then you don't have to worry about doing anything 'special' for this trip. Having broken my collar bone as a child and knowing the PAIN I was in for a few days...My guess is that the doc thinks it will be pretty well set by the time you go (if it wasn't - there would be NO WAY he would want to be on a coaster with a break). I'm an old fart now, but my recollection is that it felt a LOT better within a week and that at some point after a few weeks the sling was really an annoyance that it didn't seem like I needed at all.

Being bumped into by a person is nothing compared to the force on your body on a roller-coaster.

You will have a great time! I highly doubt any accomodations will be needed.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
BubblyTrip
Mouseketeer

I can't delay the trip. It's piggy backed on a family visit. I have to say, he seems very comfortable. I have him on Tylenol and Motrin, but he's barely flinched and slept through the night with no meds. And the bone is actually snapped, not fractured. I keep having to remind him not to move it too much.

I will update after I see the ortho Friday morning. My forms said most of the healing is in the first two weeks, so I'll be on the cusp.

BTMRR and Splash are the rides I have the most concern with. Barnstormer too, I guess. He is too short for SM. Will see what the doc says.

Several trips as a kid
Offsite 1996 and 98
Tentative WL April 2015
Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
jcano
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I can't delay the trip. It's piggy backed on a family visit. I have to say, he seems very comfortable. I have him on Tylenol and Motrin, but he's barely flinched and slept through the night with no meds. And the bone is actually snapped, not fractured. I keep having to remind him not to move it too much. I will update after I see the ortho Friday morning. My forms said most of the healing is in the first two weeks, so I'll be on the cusp. BTMRR and Splash are the rides I have the most concern with. Barnstormer too, I guess. He is too short for SM. Will see what the doc says.
Ugh!
Maybe a trip more focused on characters and shows?
So sorry! Hopefully you get good news from the ortho!

Old 03-14-2014, 11:54 PM   #12
BubblyTrip
Mouseketeer

Update...we saw the Ortho today. New x ray shows healing well so far. He said he can go on any ride without a shoulder harness, even roller coasters. The sling is more for pain control than limiting movement. So, we will see how it goes.

Thank you all for your help!

Several trips as a kid
Offsite 1996 and 98
Tentative WL April 2015

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: