Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

There is a new follow-up article where the father who wrote the original article answered some questions.
http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/20...=fb-share&_r=0

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
2tinkerbell
Mouseketeer

WOW Sue! Thanks so much for the additional information.

I was struck by his remarks: "Owen wants what everyone wants. The question was never whether. Always how." Like I have stated, my DD attended the Riverview School. That is one of the greatest things Riverview offers - treating students like the teenagers they are. From soccer games to chorus to Prom, Riverview provides opportunites for students to experience typical activties. If you were to visit the campus it is like any other campus, with one huge difference - support and acceptance from staff and fellow students. Another thing that I discovered at Riverview is "can't" doesn't seem to be in their vocabulary. The staff find a way for every student to be successful and try whatever they want to do. I will never forget watching my severely visual/spatial impaired DD out playing baseball and on a team! I came to learn that one of the custodians had spent literally hours one on one with DD teaching her how to catch a ball. She played baseball with a brightly colored pink ball so she could see it. All because my DD wanted to play baseball! I could go on and on about how wonder Riverview School is.
2tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #18
ppony
Artist in residence

THANKS for that update, Sue. I'm so glad they are learning more and more, but we're still so much in the dark ages of understanding, or it feels like we are. or not "we", the people that deal w/ it daily, but society in general are. It floors me that anyone would call them "souless"!!!! Then again, doctors used to say smoking was good for you. So CLEARLY, logic isn't exactly at the forefront for some.

I'm so very much looking forward to getting this book next month!

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: