Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
My2Angels
Mickey Moms Club member

Leg fractured - what can she ride?

My daughter, 11 years, fractured both lower leg bones and ankle in her left leg this past weekend. We will be in WDW in 19 days. She is so sad about missing our waterpark days already. What rides will she miss because of this? Her cast is from her mid thigh down to her toes. She will be in a wheelchair, as it is too hard to use crutches for all the walking we will do. Has anyone had to do this before?

Dream 2014, YC CL 2013, Dream 2012, Poly 2012, BWI 2012, POR 2012, BC 2011, Poly 2010, POR 2010, Swan 2009, POR 2009, POR 2008, AsSP 2007, CR 2007
My2Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Angels View Post
My daughter, 11 years, fractured both lower leg bones and ankle in her left leg this past weekend. We will be in WDW in 19 days. She is so sad about missing our waterpark days already. What rides will she miss because of this? Her cast is from her mid thigh down to her toes. She will be in a wheelchair, as it is too hard to use crutches for all the walking we will do. Has anyone had to do this before?
I'm assuming her leg will be out straight? If so, there are a bunch of rides she won't be able to go on, because she can't bend her leg to get in or out of the ride. she might be able to stay in the chair for some, but it depends on how tight the ride vehicle is, with her foot straight out they might not be able to maneuver her onto the ride.

I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
SteveMouse
DIS Veteran

I am 5'7 and have a leg fused at the hip, at a bit of an angle and some outward rotation.. Steps down are a bit of a problem, so Pirates, Maelstrom, Splash and Space are out. I haven't tried the Soeedway in forever. I do ride BTMRR (last car is a little easier), HM, Jungle Cruise and numerous others. Star tours and mission space work.

If her legs are short enough and she has flexibility at the waist, she will be able to get under most safety restraints/lap bars. Be very careful in HM, the doom buggies close hard and suddenly).

Soarin may be doable, but use the between the leg harness.
SteveMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
SMD
DIS Veteran

Are you flying? Check with the airline on their requirements for casts. They may say she has to be able to get her leg under the seat in front of her, or they may require an extra seat for her to rest her leg on.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

You should ask her doctor about how much 'jostling' she can take. It's possible, she may be only able to go on very 'tame' attractions or see shows.
And, depending on how long your plane trip is, the doctor may not clear her for travel less than 3 weeks after the injury.

Follow the link in my signature or look near the top of the board for the disABILITIES FAQs thread for more information.
You will need a wheelchair as you mentioned. You can bring one from home or rent one in Florida.
Post 2 on page 1 of that thread talks about renting equipment.
Post 15 talks about air travel. If you bring a wheelchair and crutches with, you can bring them to the gate and check them at no cost. They also do not count toward your baggage allowance.

These posts on page 2 of the thread should be helpful:
Posts 18-22 about transfers, getting into ride cars
Post 23 - attractions with warnings
Post 28 - attractions with stairs or moving walkways

And Post 31 on Page 3 - attractions with a long leg cast.
Depending on the size of the child and how long the leg is, a child may fit on some things an adult would not.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

If she cannot bend her leg, you should seriously consider postponing your trip. I hope you bought trip insurance.

What a shame.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

Here is a post about what you can do with a broken leg:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...5&pagenumber=1
Old 03-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
Stacerita
AKA the Lexus TinklerMy bad-its Miss Understood. Sorry. Got my drag queens mixed
I guess I did look more like a Hooter's girl than I wanted to

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Angels View Post
You should check with her physician to make sure the trip will be ok for her to take. My daughter some years back broke both lower leg bones in three places and had to have a reduction down to set them. Her ortho didn't want to put her in risk of having something happen, so she had to remain home, even from school for the entire semester (it was only three weeks into the school year). We couldn't even go to a family wedding held a few weeks later. I would check with the ortho just to make sure that if she gets bumped or jostled it won't cause damage to her.

Personally I would postpone. It just wouldn't be worth it to me.

Inappropriate graphics will be deleted from signatures.
Please remember this is a family-friendly site
Stacerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
Piper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopper View Post
Here is a post about what you can do with a broken leg:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...5&pagenumber=1
This TR is from 2003. A lot has changed since then!!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
Mesden84
Earning My Ears

A lot of the rides at Disney World are very slow-moving (even for people who have serious brittle bone conditions.), while most of them are even wheelchair accessible. Some of them you can even take your wheelchair onto the ride.
Mesden84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #11
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesden84 View Post
A lot of the rides at Disney World are very slow-moving (even for people who have serious brittle bone conditions.), while most of them are even wheelchair accessible. Some of them you can even take your wheelchair onto the ride.
Yes, but again, the rides that can accommodate a chair are designed assuming that the person using the chair is in a "normal" sitting position, with both knees bent, not one leg propped up/out, so I wouldn't count on being able to stay in the chair for the accessible rides.

I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:57 AM   #12
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean1899 View Post
Yes, but again, the rides that can accommodate a chair are designed assuming that the person using the chair is in a "normal" sitting position, with both knees bent, not one leg propped up/out, so I wouldn't count on being able to stay in the chair for the accessible rides.
And, many of the attractions that can accommodate a wheelchair are kind of a tight fit, even without an extended leg.

There are dome notes about size in post 31 on page 3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
My2Angels
Mickey Moms Club member

Thanks to all of you for the help and advice. We did see the ortho again this week. He agreed to put her in a short cast, so that she can bend her knee, tomorrow late in the afternoon. We fly on Saturday morning. We will have challenges, but I think she will be free to do a lot more now. So relieved!

Dream 2014, YC CL 2013, Dream 2012, Poly 2012, BWI 2012, POR 2012, BC 2011, Poly 2010, POR 2010, Swan 2009, POR 2009, POR 2008, AsSP 2007, CR 2007
My2Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #14
JillyBean1899
Shiny

Yay!! I still would recommend getting her a wheelchair and bringing at least one crutch along for places where a wheelchair is too cumbersome. At least she'll be able to go on more things!

Hmm, wonder if the characters would sign a cast ...

Old 03-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #15
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran

If she wants characters to sign her cast, ask the doctor to put a line on the cast showing where the cast will be cut for removal. When characters sign, ask them not to sign across that line. That way the signatures will remain whole after the cast is removed and it can still be kept as a souvenir.
WheeledTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: