Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #16
lilmissdisney216
Pawsitively Lovin a Labrador!
 
lilmissdisney216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southfield,MI
Posts: 1,298

If I may, I'm a former Disney CM and it is completely correct that we would be termed on the spot if we were to assist with any disabled guests. Believe me there were plenty of times when I wanted to help but I knew that I couldn't. It was hard but I would've been risking my job (and I'm the type of person that LOVES to jump at the opportunity to assist so believe me this was hard)

In this day in age of being in a sue happy time, its a hard risk to take. But Disney wants to avoid any possible lawsuit or any sort of liability for their CM's and or guests.
__________________
2011 DCP Spring Advantage Alumni: Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique HostessUpcoming: October 2014: Art of Animation/Disney Fantasy 7 Day Cruise
lilmissdisney216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #17
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,817
DISboards Moderator

The other issue that hasn't been mentioned is that if a CM became injured while assisting a guest, that could put other guests at risk.
In many situations, a CM is alone at that assigned position. So, it's not only concern about lawsuits or Workman's Comp.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #18
JillyBean1899
Shiny
 
JillyBean1899's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lynn Haven, FL
Posts: 1,023

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakam View Post
I figured it was an insurance thing but this makes me wonder what would have happened if my knee had snapped and I was not able to get out.
If that had happened, the CM would have called first aid, and the paramedics would have helped you get up, because it then becomes a medical/injury issue. They wouldn't leave you flopping around with a broken bone or anything.
__________________


I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #19
ttintagel
DIS Veteran
 
ttintagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,268

I had one trip on crutches where I could get in and out of vehicles by myself, just very slowly and awkwardly. It was a real pleasant surprise to see how many other guests offered help. OK, maybe some of the time it was out of impatience, but I took it when I needed it!

I do think it would be nice if they could fit one boat on every boat ride with grab bars and an extra step or something.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #20
HaleyB
I am a good sister. Mostly.
I am cunfuzzled now
Wait!! You're a guy???!?
 
HaleyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 6,905

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
I had one trip on crutches where I could get in and out of vehicles by myself, just very slowly and awkwardly. It was a real pleasant surprise to see how many other guests offered help. OK, maybe some of the time it was out of impatience, but I took it when I needed it!

I do think it would be nice if they could fit one boat on every boat ride with grab bars and an extra step or something.
The Disneyland Space Mountian set up is nice, or it was last time I was there which was awhile ago. But they had a ride car that loaded and unloaded off to the side to give you extra time and a platform that moved up? or down? anyhow helped make transfers easier.

But anyone who needs the special cars some rides have will tell you, the wait can be two or more times longer.
__________________
Haley

Lost and Found with the Sillies, a Trip Report of sorts
Not so Much a Savings... a 2005 Trip Report.




Phbbbt! by steven_and_haley_bach, Hedgehog Blog!http://princesspricklepants.wordpress.com/






Recent Trips: Aug 2010 AKL/BWV; Sept 2010 Hawaii; December 2010 Disneyland; Jan 2011 Mexico Cruise with the girls; Feb 2011 GF Maelstrom Meet; Feb 2011 Anniversary trip AKL CL with 1 night Platinum Plan. May/June 2011 Family trip; GF CL Sept 2012; Bonnet Creek May 2012; YC CL Sept 2013;




































[center]Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
The Silly Trip Report/Epic (2006 Trip Report) NEW again on 8/31/07 part 21!! Dude!!
Not so Much a Savings... a 2005 Trip Report.
[URL=http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1157739]
HaleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #21
blondietink
DIS Veteran
 
blondietink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western New York State
Posts: 1,735

One time we were at MK and there was a woman in her 20's who was totally wheelchair bound. She was extremely small. We were waiting to get on Peter Pan at the wheelchair entrance when she was getting off with I believe her sister or mother. The CM screamed at them to hurry up. My goodness, the sister/mother had a hard time lifting the woman as she was so tiny and could not help at all. DH rushed up and helped the two women so they would not fall. The CM was extremely rude to them and yelled again when the woman was being put in the wheelchair how they had better not go on Haunted Mansion as the ride would not stop for them.

Now, we have been on HM many times when the ride stops to get disabled people on/off and/or slows down. We talked to the women and told them the CM was wrong and if they would just wait until we got off Peter Pan, we would walk over to HM with them and ride it with them and help. WE did and they had a great ride. We also gave them information on which rides would safely stop/slow for them to get on/off around the park.

Sometimes it takes a person who has a family member with a disability to realize when others might need help.
__________________
Barb
blondietink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #22
Wishes Count
DIS Veteran
 
Wishes Count's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 806

Also should a ride need to be evacuated due to an emergency. CM's are not permitted to assist. Depending on the attraction they need to call the fire department to evacuate a disabled guest.

My friend worked at Spaceship earth, which is essentially a set of stairs then a really long ramp that circles around and then a set of stairs down. I asked her what would happen if there was a fire or something and they had to evacuate someone who was disabled. She said they would have to wait for the fire department, they were not permitted to help.
__________________
Wishes Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #23
kollegekreed
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 17

Thanks for doing that Blondietink!

I don't necessarily disagree with the rules, just curious on if my intuition was correct. It clearly is. Still, there seems to be a pretty wide scope on the personal responsibility spectrum here. The second person I described was very clearly mentally disabled (wide grin while trying to get out of the car, but nonverbal and no embarrassment at the situation) and unable to help get herself out of the ride in any way. Part of me says "Who in their right mind would put this person on BTMRR?" but the other part of me says "Everyone deserves to be part of the fun...". Fine line, indeed.
kollegekreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #24
catra121
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 899

In addition to the many good reasons already stated for why a CM can't assist a disabled guest...the truth is that there is no way for them to know the extent of a person's disability and all the issues involved. I was shocked when several CMs on my last trip wanted to assist me with walking on a moving platform or when there was a distance without railings. Thankfully none of them touched me, as that would have set off a very bad pain flare, but they extended their hands, arms, etc. I just said no thanks, I'll be okay, just need to go slowly and carefully.

But it really is up to guests to know their own limits. Accidents happen of course...but if one happens you really want to have a trained medical professional help you. Even well intentioned guests could cause serious harm and pain to someone because they don't know what they are doing. There are plenty of warnings going into rides and most people know whether they would have difficulty getting in or out of a ride vehicle. If they want to take the risk, then that's on them, but they have to be willing to deal with the consequences if it doesn't work out.

I did have a CM yell at me once (and I mean YELL) on Spaceship Earth because I didn't jump off the ride vehicle at the exit. But I wasn't about to do that unless she either a) stopped the moving walkway or b) brought my walker to me...as the other CM walking up the ramp told her when he saw what was happening. Guess she forgot?? That was not a good experience...but on the whole I think Disney does a great job providing what they CAN for guests with disabilities.

It's always sad to see someone struggling and it's pretty common to look for someone to blame (like why are the CMs not helping) but unfortunately it's just part of life sometimes. I have come to terms with this (as much as it sucks) and honestly the LAST thing I want is for people to pity me or feel bad for me...it just makes me feel a lot worse. I can deal with the physical difficulties...but dealing with other people's reactions is a lot harder on me.
__________________
Nicole

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #25
JillyBean1899
Shiny
 
JillyBean1899's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lynn Haven, FL
Posts: 1,023

Quote:
Originally Posted by catra121 View Post
In addition to the many good reasons already stated for why a CM can't assist a disabled guest...the truth is that there is no way for them to know the extent of a person's disability and all the issues involved. I was shocked when several CMs on my last trip wanted to assist me with walking on a moving platform or when there was a distance without railings. Thankfully none of them touched me, as that would have set off a very bad pain flare, but they extended their hands, arms, etc. I just said no thanks, I'll be okay, just need to go slowly and carefully.
It's misleading to say CMs can't assist a disabled guest. They can't transfer a person from a chair to a ride vehicle, or from a power chair to a manual one, but there are times when physical assistance can be provided. I've led blind guests to waiting areas after their parties got on a ride; the guest took my elbow and walked with me. I've also offered my hand as a stabilizer for people that may be a little unsteady (but not picking them up; just an extra balance point), or steadying something they're using for balance (like a ride vehicle's door) but like the CMs you encountered, we were taught to offer a hand out, never just grab someone. We also didn't move someone in a wheelchair unless we were moving them onto a ride vehicle where they would stay in their chair (like Kong, Quake, Jaws), or in cases where a party member didn't ride and they couldn't wheel themselves (like they were in a transport chair or the park chairs) to the waiting area, and only then with permission. We did have a little leeway in how we could assist, but we *NEVER* moved someone from one chair to a ride vehicle or back. I luckily never had anyone fall into a ride vehicle like someone mentioned happened to them on RnR, but I have helped up people that tripped over curbs or something.
__________________


I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #26
Disneylvr
Mommy of Madelyn, Ebay Addict and Happy Scrapbooker
No longer addicted to the Creek
We could watch Wishes every night
 
Disneylvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 3,171

Are CM's allowed to help with seat belts on rides like Soarin' for example? I saw a reluctance to help someone buckle theirs last time we rode.
__________________
20+ Disney Trips Since 1985 - All Star Movies, All Star Music, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge

Disneylvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #27
catra121
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean1899 View Post
It's misleading to say CMs can't assist a disabled guest. They can't transfer a person from a chair to a ride vehicle, or from a power chair to a manual one, but there are times when physical assistance can be provided. I've led blind guests to waiting areas after their parties got on a ride; the guest took my elbow and walked with me. I've also offered my hand as a stabilizer for people that may be a little unsteady (but not picking them up; just an extra balance point), or steadying something they're using for balance (like a ride vehicle's door) but like the CMs you encountered, we were taught to offer a hand out, never just grab someone. We also didn't move someone in a wheelchair unless we were moving them onto a ride vehicle where they would stay in their chair (like Kong, Quake, Jaws), or in cases where a party member didn't ride and they couldn't wheel themselves (like they were in a transport chair or the park chairs) to the waiting area, and only then with permission. We did have a little leeway in how we could assist, but we *NEVER* moved someone from one chair to a ride vehicle or back. I luckily never had anyone fall into a ride vehicle like someone mentioned happened to them on RnR, but I have helped up people that tripped over curbs or something.
I guess that sort or surprises me because say you offered me your hand for assistance, and then I fell...would you let me fall or reach out and grab me? Not from a logical what should you do in that situation but in the moment...wouldn't it be human nature to just grab that person and not let them fall? In my case...much better to let me fall...but how could you know that? I mean...I know that...which is why I never took anyone's hand who offered to help me...but it seems like a risk a CM wouldn't want to take.

Or what if I fall...and take you with me and YOU get hurt? What would the ramifications of that be for you?

And I'm not saying it's wrong to want to help people...just that what can seem like help can actually cause a lot more harm than good depending on the disability.
__________________
Nicole

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #28
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran
 
StitchesGr8Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylvr View Post
Are CM's allowed to help with seat belts on rides like Soarin' for example? I saw a reluctance to help someone buckle theirs last time we rode.
In 2007 I know they wouldn't help my brother with his seat belts or restraints. Don't know if that was policy or just the CM's decision. I do know I was yelled at more than once by CM's for taking too long getting him and then myself buckled in. I just assumed they weren't allowed because of liability of something happened and because of the risk of someone claiming inappropriate touching.
__________________
'86-offsite, '91-Buena Vista Palace, '92-offsite, '97-offsite, '98-Magic Music Days, '06-ASMu, '07-FtW, '09-ASMu,'10-POR,'12-Poly (Honeymoon!)
'14 - Pop
StitchesGr8Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #29
JillyBean1899
Shiny
 
JillyBean1899's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lynn Haven, FL
Posts: 1,023

Quote:
Originally Posted by catra121 View Post
I guess that sort or surprises me because say you offered me your hand for assistance, and then I fell...would you let me fall or reach out and grab me? Not from a logical what should you do in that situation but in the moment...wouldn't it be human nature to just grab that person and not let them fall? In my case...much better to let me fall...but how could you know that? I mean...I know that...which is why I never took anyone's hand who offered to help me...but it seems like a risk a CM wouldn't want to take.

Or what if I fall...and take you with me and YOU get hurt? What would the ramifications of that be for you?

And I'm not saying it's wrong to want to help people...just that what can seem like help can actually cause a lot more harm than good depending on the disability.
That's one reason why we weren't required to help. Obviously if someone is 300 lbs, I wouldn't be able to provide them with balancing help, since I was all of 120 lbs soaking wet. Also the only times I offered it was when I was able to steady myself on something (such as a loading gate or the side of a ride vehicle that they couldn't reach). And from personal experience I know not to grab someone that's falling, that's how I dislocated my shoulder (granted, it was *ME* that was falling lol), so it's a reaction that I've squashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
In 2007 I know they wouldn't help my brother with his seat belts or restraints. Don't know if that was policy or just the CM's decision. I do know I was yelled at more than once by CM's for taking too long getting him and then myself buckled in. I just assumed they weren't allowed because of liability of something happened and because of the risk of someone claiming inappropriate touching.
I know that at P Flyers we had to be careful how we helped people with their belts. There's the usual belt around the waist, but for smaller children there is also a belt that goes up from the middle of the seat, and attaches over one leg to the side of the seat. Obviously, reaching for a child's crotch would be a problem, especially if the parent sitting behind them can't see what we're doing. In that case, we'd usually have the parent buckle the child in before they got in their seat. But on coasters like Hulk/Dragons, we'd pull down harnesses (gently) and buckle belts if needed. Some people just can't figure out how to fasten the belt, and especially smaller people or those with shorter arms had trouble pulling the harness down some times. Or we'd have to "bounce" down on a harness for someone that was too big to ride but insisted we try. Again, we didn't just randomly go up to someone and slam down on their harness, we'd help if asked.

It really just depends on how the ride is set up, what the problem is, and how the CM wants to handle it.
__________________


I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
No matter how slowly you're moving, it's better than standing still.
I run. I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, BUT I RUN!
JillyBean1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #30
catra121
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBean1899 View Post
That's one reason why we weren't required to help. Obviously if someone is 300 lbs, I wouldn't be able to provide them with balancing help, since I was all of 120 lbs soaking wet. Also the only times I offered it was when I was able to steady myself on something (such as a loading gate or the side of a ride vehicle that they couldn't reach). And from personal experience I know not to grab someone that's falling, that's how I dislocated my shoulder (granted, it was *ME* that was falling lol), so it's a reaction that I've squashed.



I know that at P Flyers we had to be careful how we helped people with their belts. There's the usual belt around the waist, but for smaller children there is also a belt that goes up from the middle of the seat, and attaches over one leg to the side of the seat. Obviously, reaching for a child's crotch would be a problem, especially if the parent sitting behind them can't see what we're doing. In that case, we'd usually have the parent buckle the child in before they got in their seat. But on coasters like Hulk/Dragons, we'd pull down harnesses (gently) and buckle belts if needed. Some people just can't figure out how to fasten the belt, and especially smaller people or those with shorter arms had trouble pulling the harness down some times. Or we'd have to "bounce" down on a harness for someone that was too big to ride but insisted we try. Again, we didn't just randomly go up to someone and slam down on their harness, we'd help if asked.

It really just depends on how the ride is set up, what the problem is, and how the CM wants to handle it.
Did/do you work for Disney or Universal? All the rides you've referenced are at Universal. A PP said that Disney would term a CM on the spot for assisting a disabled guest. Maybe that's why there's a difference...Universal maybe has different restrictions on it's employees?
__________________
Nicole

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.