Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #61
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby9932 View Post
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!! That is just awesome to quit the smoking habit. I know how difficult that can be as my mom quit after a 45 year habit of literally lighting a new cig with the old. Talk about chain smoking! She finally managed after finding out that 2nd hand smoke was hurting her grandbaby (my daughter - 2 then, 25 today). It will definitely help him with his eyes and you both in many ways, least of which is the $ you can save to spend at Disney!

And, hey, if you think he'd like smoothies, I have a trick I use to get my husband (a meat & potatoes guy) to drink his greens. I make a spinach smoothie, but you seriously cannot taste the spinach due to the bananas & berries in it. It has tons of protein and vitamins and fills you up for a couple hours. I tried kale once, but it was noticeable since it's so bitter. If you'd like the recipe, I'll gladly share.

DD has an eye condition that is similar to macular degeneration (blood vessels growing and leaking under the retina causing scar tissue and permanent blind spots in the central vision). She receives the same injections as the OP's husband to hold off the damaging effects of the disease. I've done a lot of research on angiogenesis and ways we might help her naturally.

Since green leafy vegetables are best, we make spinach and/or kale smoothies also (more spinach than kale for the reason you mentioned, but we slip a little bit of kale in each one and you can mask the bitterness that way).

We like the strawberry/banana ones. Strawberries and lemons is another good choice if you like lemon. We've also tried lemon/orange and lemon/kiwi, but didn't like those as well as the others. You can get over 2cups of spinach in a smoothie that fills a Disney mug. (I lOVE our Disney mugs, they hide the color of the drink, which can be a little disconcerting. lol.)

Kale chips are unexpectedly good also. You can find recipes online.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic, OP. Just thought I'd add the tips we use to add natural forms of VEGF inhibitors to the diet (certain mushrooms and fish are also good options, if your husband likes those).

Good luck on your vacation. I hope you are able to make it work so that he can see as much of the attractions and shows he loves, as possible.

(And Scooby, your grandbaby is just ADORABLE! What a cutie-pie!)

Last edited by indimom; 03-04-2014 at 05:41 AM.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #62
scooby9932
I Loves Me Some Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post
DD has an eye condition that is similar to macular degeneration (blood vessels growing and leaking under the retina causing scar tissue and permanent blind spots in the central vision). She receives the same injections as the OP's husband to hold off the damaging effects of the disease. I've done a lot of research on angiogenesis and ways we might help her naturally.

I hope your daughter's condition doesn't get any worse and that the natural route brings you success. It's so hard to watch our kids with health issues. My daughter inherited my Lupus and some other autoimmune disorders, which is why I started getting involved with the natural medicine stuff to begin with as Western Medicine just doesn't have much to help us.

Since green leafy vegetables are best, we make spinach and/or kale smoothies also (more spinach than kale for the reason you mentioned, but we slip a little bit of kale in each one and you can mask the bitterness that way).

We like the strawberry/banana ones. Strawberries and lemons is another good choice if you like lemon. We've also tried lemon/orange and lemon/kiwi, but didn't like those as well as the others. You can get over 2cups of spinach in a smoothie that fills a Disney mug. (I lOVE our Disney mugs, they hide the color of the drink, which can be a little disconcerting. lol.)

I don't know if peanut butter is recommended for eye disorders, but when my husband was trying to lose weight & needed added protein, I made some chocolate peanut butter spinach smoothies that he loves! It's more like dessert than anything else. It's sweetened by the bananas & the antioxidants in the cocoa powder are a bonus. Powdered peanut butter & whey powder add the added protein. I hide my smoothies in our Disney mugs, too! Those things are such great souvenirs since we use them daily.

Kale chips are unexpectedly good also. You can find recipes online.
I'll have to try those!

(And Scooby, your grandbaby is just ADORABLE! What a cutie-pie!)
Aw, thanks so much! She's my heart. I'm lucky to be able to watch her during the day while my daughter works. It's strange how life works out. I became unable to work this past year & while it's very hard to reconcile with my goals/finances/sense of purpose/etc., it's allowed me to forge a close relationship with my DGD. I guess you can find something positive in everything.

Cast of Characters: Me (44), DH (Disboard Name toklotursa)(50), DD (25), DGD (born 10/9/13) and our fur babies, Rufus (shih tzu) & Jasper (yorkie) & Hudson (moose sized mutt)

1971, 1978, 1983, 1987, 1989 DD's 1st Trip, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2007 POR-DD's Senior Trip, 2008 POR, 2009 POLY, May 2010 POR, May 2011 POLY, May 2012 CSR, Dec 2012 CSR, May 2013 OKW, May 2014 OKW

UPCOMING: May 2014 -OKW
scooby9932 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #63
smidgy
dimples

indi, great post! thank you! and scooby, funny how God's plans aren't always our plans.. so glad you ahve the time to spend with the grandbaby!
smidgy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: