Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #31
Jellifer
Mouseketeer

I think it's out of order to tell a blind person to use a wheelchair and rely on someone else. As a blind person I need my feet on the ground to feel secure, someone pushing me about all day is my idea of hell

me (Jen): OH (Don): and Cookie

TRIPS
May 1997 - offsite
September 2012 F&W - offsite
Planning November 2014 @ CBR - 1st stay onsite
Jellifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #32
Bete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
ok I had no idea what to "name" this thread. "visual disabilites" have seemed to gone by the way side. it is very hard for my husband to "quickly!!!" jump into the clam shell at nemo. or the ride car at haunted mansion he is so nervous about ANY lines now. his vision has gotten really bad. he just really wants to enjoy the only place he is happy. he doesn't want to cheat other people or jump in front of them in line. just give us a time to come back . esp with the dark rides... he can still ACTUALLY SEE some of the things in Haunted mansion...IF we go at night when his eyes have adjusted. yup multiple problems trying to navigate the lines... all those jerks behind you stepping on your heels. cause you aren't walking fast enough...\\ which casues MUCh anxiety... !!!
If being in the dark is the main problem then maybe more lighting would help. I'm not sure if these suggestions would help, but you can get LED lighting that clamps onto a baseball cap visor. A little flashlight might work, too, but you have to hold it. You could even use both for more lighting. Maybe, the extra light would allow him to navigate better. Once you are on the ride turn the lighting off to conserve the battery power. The only other recourse would be pushing him in a wheelchair. I know this isn't an option anyone likes, but it may allow your trips to Disney World to continue or not. In some cases you can get on a ride with the wheelchair which certainly would be a blessing. In other cases, he'd only have to worry about getting on the ride and you could park the wheelchair. In some way I feel this may not be a bad answer. The way it sounds he has the potential to fall with his poor vision especially in darker areas. He feels nervous with others around him and that could lead to a fall. We have found using a wheelchair works well if you take the parks by mixing up the activities like doing a few rides then a show, doing a few more rides and then a break for lunch, and then do a few more rides and then a parade. You get the idea. The pusher gets a rest that way. If there is ever more than you and him then you can take turns with someone else pushing the wheelchair. If he wants to walk some, then he could use the wheelchair as a walker when the lighting is better outside of the rides. I would try to avoid the busy, peak times for the rides. I would say the morning is less crowded. If you stay onsite use the extra magic hours to arrive as early as possible. By all means use fastpass plus for the rides. If a ride is too difficult based on past experiences then I would skip the harder ones. There are plenty of rides and missing a few is better then being aggravated about it all. Try to enjoy other fun at the parks. Take in more live entertainment. We love the street entertainment at the parks. With trying for a DAS maybe consult his doctor and see if the doctor can use wording that may help you more with getting a DAS. Also, try more than one guest service person for a DAS if you get refused. Sometimes, one park refuses and another park will give you one. It shouldn't be that way, but we are all human. Escalate to a supervisor if you are not having much luck with getting a DAS. At least if you try on all levels for a DAS then you know you have done your best. You may ultimately, have to decide on a different vacation. It's starting to sound like to me that he is not that fond of Disney anymore considering his situation. Sometimes, we have to change our vacation. If you still enjoy Disney yourself and you don't want to give it up then you may need to go with a friend or relative instead. Over the last 3 years we have ventured out ourselves to different vacations and we find ourselves going to Disney less and less. It's just getting too hard for us to continue doing Disney. We have different issues from you, but we have moved on to other adventures and it's working for us. We actually wonder now why we just kept going back to Disney and not do other vacations. There are many vacations that could suit you better, now.

Last edited by Bete; 03-02-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #33
zela02
Earning My Ears

Quote:
sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I know my husband and how he sees'doesn't see, and I am very familiar with the lines at WDW (we go twice a year.) the DAS WILL alleviate stress. while it doesn't remove the queue completely, it shortens the distance he needs to navigate. (many are not wide enough for proper "leading" (him holding my arm) we end up with me in front and holding hands and me saying "soft left, sharp right about 5 steps till a sharp left, stairs coming up etc. and it will lessen the amount of time there are people near us. but I never siad that was the big issue. he also gets hurt bumping into things (rocks jutting out of the walls on the lines, bars, etc.) and if the DAS, as it stands now, won't help, then they need to redefine the DAS. I know it's new and a work in progress. there are disabliites that are not cognitive and donot require wheelchairs. they can easily put on the DAS that , if the standby wait is 45 minutes, we will return to an ALTERNATIVE entrance in 35 minutes. viola, problem solved. If they don't give us a DAS I will NOT be allowing people to cut in front of us. most of the time, when I have, we all eventually get to the spot where the line stops moving, and now there are numerous people in front of us who shouldn't be. and no one is moving fast anyway at that point. they just got there faster. like I said, thanks for all the suggestions. a wheelchair is definitely NOT an option. we will try very hard to get a DAS. I will go back later and tell them how it didn't work well without one and try again, but I already know from previous trips, before hubby finally agreed to using the GAC, how that will work. I'll let you all know. also how the front of the show seating works without that stamp also. he does need to be seated in the front.
I don't have a vision impairment, but I do have a child with some field loss and orientation and mobility challenges, have worked with numerous children with vision impairments and am 1/2 class away from finishing a Teacher of the Visually impaired graduate teaching certification.

In the lines, whether it be the standby line or the FP line, I think some basic sighted guide techniques would go a long way to reducing anxiety levels and increasing confidence with your husband's travel skills. For instance, when using sighted guide in narrow passages, he would fall in behind you rather than walking beside you. With a little practice, your husband can naturally learn to follow your lead physically, rather than relying on verbal cues. If you search YouTube you can find a ton of demonstration videos and perhaps some tips for improving his orientation and mobility. I hope this helps a little.

Have a wonderful trip!
zela02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #34
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Please don't assume that I am being rude, as no rudeness is intended with my answer.

If I am on the highway, and a person going 85 mph is behind me - then I MOVE OVER to let the speeder go ahead of me. I don't depress my pedal to speed up, because I do not wish to drive that fast.

Therefore - in the same line of thinking - if I am in line at an attraction & I cannot keep up with the pace of others -- then I allow them to pass me. I am not going to go any faster & possibly injure myself.

If I cannot enter a ride such as Haunted Mansion or Little Mermaid - then I ask for the ride to be stopped. If they cannot accommodate this need, I leave.

LM has the WORST group of CMs I have ever witnessed for this issue. Although polite, they will NOT help anyone by stopping the belt. I just leave rather than cause a scene. That is an absolute shame. I have had one ride on it when it first opened. They were more willing to stop the belt then.

Perhaps the Little Mermaid personnel should examine their policy of stopping or not stopping the belt for those who NEED it stopped. God & All His Angels cannot get me to board a car from a moving floor. They will need an ambulance if I attempt this task! Maybe this is difficult for an able-bodied person to understand. It is a shame that I will never experience this ride again.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #35
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
Hopefully the FP+ queues won't be long like they are now when it is time for your trip then. Although the slow pace of them moving forward might benefit your husband, as he will not feel rushed.

But part of your post still has me . Most of the time, for us at least, the FP queue is the one you have to walk through briskly - the standby is the slower moving queue. Haven't been since FP+ started though, so perhaps my concerns are not justified, but how will he/you handle a fast moving FP queue?
we go at the slower times, go at rope drop, etc. so the standby lines are usually fast moving. and as I stated, the GAC let us use and alternativeentrance. which is what the DAS should do for those with vision issues. and I will ask at the ride. don't even subtract the 10 minutes, we don't care. if the standby is 40 minutes, give us a return time of 40 minutes.
but it they won't thenwe will handle the fast moving FQ queue the same way we handle any queue, it just won't be for as long of a distance, as I already stated.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #36
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

smidgy!!! thank you for posting this!!!!
my wife was a healthy 41 year old and lost her vision in her left eye due to a tumor on her optic nerve. ( thanks to the great people at wills eye in philly, they saved her life.)six years ago.
I few years back, and I can dig back to find my post, I was told this is for people with real disabilities.
needless to say, I never really looked her for any info.
to look at my wife, you cant tell she is blind.when I say blind in her left eye, there is nothing. no light nothing. she under went radiation treatment and her optic nerve is dead. she is a proud women (like most of us) and she will not make it known she cant see. I have learned over the years to walk on her left side. she more less guides herself off of me but most important for her, it keeps people from running in or her plowing people over and feeling bad about. also keeps her from bumping into walls etc..... when walking, I don't make a big deal or say it loud but I will say, curb,step. nobody has no idea what im doing if they hear me and frankly I don't give a crap if they did.
when she had her surgery, she wore a black lens in her glasses on one eye. just to keep from grossing people out. it was nasty!!! I can post a picture if you want. but the looks she got from people.just incredible.
the first few years she had a lot of balance issues. you lose your depth perception. anyway, I hope you find an answer and something that works for your husband.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #37
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete View Post
If being in the dark is the main problem then maybe more lighting would help. I'm not sure if these suggestions would help, but you can get LED lighting that clamps onto a baseball cap visor. A little flashlight might work, too, but you have to hold it. You could even use both for more lighting. Maybe, the extra light would allow him to navigate better. Once you are on the ride turn the lighting off to conserve the battery power.

the problem with this suggestion (and it would be a good one) is that now that he has been looking with this bright light, when we actually get ON the ride, he won't see anything. his other thing is his eyes take forever to adjust from light to dark.. which is why we only do haunted mansion, POTC, , etc at night.

The only other recourse would be pushing him in a wheelchair. I know this is an option anyone likes,

I have spokent ot his "option" ad nauseum, we won't he won't it's not an option for us and I won't speak about it again (except to the CM who will bring it up, I'll explain again to her.

but it may allow your trips to Disney World to continue or not. If there is ever more than you and him then you can take turns with someone else pushing the wheelchair.

it is just the 2 of us, although I would do anything for him

I would try to avoid the busy, peak times for the rides. I would say the morning is less crowded. If you stay onsite use the extra magic hours to arrive as early as possible. By all means use fastpass plus for the rides. If a ride is too difficult based on past experiences then I would skip the harder ones. There are plenty of rides and missing a few is better then being aggravated about it all. Try to enjoy other fun at the parks. Take in more live entertainment. We love the street entertainment at the parks.

you are talking to diseny veterans here. huby has 8? trip reports under his belt. I lost track, but I think we have been 24 times?

we know all about rope drop. I work nights and disney is the ONLY time I get up early. extra magic., goin at slow times, fast pass. we get it. entertainment? street performers? shows? we love them all.

but nebo does not want to skip a ride he loves becuase of his vision.

With trying for a DAS maybe consult his doctor and see if the doctor can use wording that may help you more with getting a DAS. Also, try more than one guest service person for a DAS if you get refused. Sometimes, one park refuses and another park will give you one. It shouldn't be that way, but we are all human. Escalate to a supervisor if you are not having much luck with getting a DAS. At least if you try on all levels for a DAS then you know you have done your best.

this is definitely the plan. I can be tenacious

You may ultimately, have to decide on a different vacation. It's starting to sound like to me that he is not that fond of Disney anymore considering his situation. Sometimes, we have to change our vacation. If you still enjoy Disney yourself and you don't want to give it up then you may need to go with a friend or relative instead.

you dont' know Nebo. disney is more HIS thing than mine. and with his depression over his impending blindness, disney is the only place he is happy. I almost got him to go to vegas once. almost. . There's many vacations that could suit you better, now.

we stayed at disney's vero beach resort for 4 nights before a WDW trip once. nebo was bored after one day. but thanks for your suggestions.

the lonly one that will work is the being persistent suggestion.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #38
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by zela02 View Post
I don't have a vision impairment, but I do have a child with some field loss and orientation and mobility challenges, have worked with numerous children with vision impairments and am 1/2 class away from finishing a Teacher of the Visually impaired graduate teaching certification.

In the lines, whether it be the standby line or the FP line, I think some basic sighted guide techniques would go a long way to reducing anxiety levels and increasing confidence with your husband's travel skills. For instance, when using sighted guide in narrow passages, he would fall in behind you rather than walking beside you. With a little practice, your husband can naturally learn to follow your lead physically, rather than relying on verbal cues. If you search YouTube you can find a ton of demonstration videos and perhaps some tips for improving his orientation and mobility. I hope this helps a little.

Have a wonderful trip!
thanks so much will do!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #39
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post
Please don't assume that I am being rude, as no rudeness is intended with my answer.

If I am on the highway, and a person going 85 mph is behind me - then I MOVE OVER to let the speeder go ahead of me. I don't depress my pedal to speed up, because I do not wish to drive that fast.

Therefore - in the same line of thinking - if I am in line at an attraction & I cannot keep up with the pace of others -- then I allow them to pass me. I am not going to go any faster & possibly injure myself.
the problem with this analogy is all those people on the highway are not trying to get to the exact same place you are, say a restaurant, and now all those people will be seated before you and you have to wait.

but we don't let them rush us. if disney won't give us the accomodation we need, then people will have to wait. if, howeve,r they do give us the card, and we end op in the FP queue, then we will let them pass.

If I cannot enter a ride such as Haunted Mansion or Little Mermaid - then I ask for the ride to be stopped. If they cannot accommodate this need, I leave.

LM has the WORST group of CMs I have ever witnessed for this issue. Although polite, they will NOT help anyone by stopping the belt. I just leave rather than cause a scene. That is an absolute shame. I have had one ride on it when it first opened. They were more willing to stop the belt then.

Perhaps the Little Mermaid personnel should examine their policy of stopping or not stopping the belt for those who NEED it stopped. God & All His Angels cannot get me to board a car from a moving floor. They will need an ambulance if I attempt this task! Maybe this is difficult for an able-bodied person to understand. It is a shame that I will never experience this ride again.
that is a shame. have you communicated this to guest relations? what about people in wheelchairs that can't transfer?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #40
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
smidgy!!! thank you for posting this!!!!
my wife was a healthy 41 year old and lost her vision in her left eye due to a tumor on her optic nerve. ( thanks to the great people at wills eye in philly, they saved her life.)six years ago.
I few years back, and I can dig back to find my post, I was told this is for people with real disabilities.
needless to say, I never really looked her for any info.
to look at my wife, you cant tell she is blind.when I say blind in her left eye, there is nothing. no light nothing. she under went radiation treatment and her optic nerve is dead. she is a proud women (like most of us) and she will not make it known she cant see. I have learned over the years to walk on her left side. she more less guides herself off of me but most important for her, it keeps people from running in or her plowing people over and feeling bad about. also keeps her from bumping into walls etc..... when walking, I don't make a big deal or say it loud but I will say, curb,step. nobody has no idea what im doing if they hear me and frankly I don't give a crap if they did.
when she had her surgery, she wore a black lens in her glasses on one eye. just to keep from grossing people out. it was nasty!!! I can post a picture if you want. but the looks she got from people.just incredible.
the first few years she had a lot of balance issues. you lose your depth perception. anyway, I hope you find an answer and something that works for your husband.
aw. sorry for your wife. I'll bet she can't see the 3D effects either. hubby nebo's left eye is useless. he has a little blurry vision in his right. but you need 2 eyes to see 3D. he sits through Philharmagic for my sake, and Muppets cause he just finds it cheery anyway.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #41
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
aw. sorry for your wife. I'll bet she can't see the 3D effects either. hubby nebo's left eye is useless. he has a little blurry vision in his right. but you need 2 eyes to see 3D. he sits through Philharmagic for my sake, and Muppets cause he just finds it cheery anyway.
funny you mentioned that. the first time was muppets, I was watching her clean her 3d glasses and clean her glasses. sad.....
she still goes into and loves mickeys phil. wears the glasses but see everything "flat".
the hardest things she deals with is little kids, no fault of theres but they tend to run and cut in front of you and if im not on her left, and she moves, I almost was carried out by security one year in dtd because a lady stood in front of my wife giving her crap about knocking her unattended little billy over. her husband was going to beat me up.
eating, sometime food will fall off her fork and land on her shirt. ill just wait to make eye contact and give my shirt a quick brush and she knows what it means. try closing one eye and eat. coaster type ride which she always loved, she will shut her eyes on the "looping" parts. going in circles flips her out.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #42
scooby9932
I Loves Me Some Disney!

I lost my vision overnight due to taking a prescribed medicine for migraines back in August 2011. Several surgeries later, my vision is back to where I can see with the help of glasses, but light to dark & vice versa are still a problem for me. When I needed help in dark spaces, I began using a red flashlight that I had for stargazing (it lights up the general area, but is not intrusive & does not cause that light "burn" you get from other colored lights). However, I also have mobility issues, so I needed to have something more to free up my hands.

If your husband is willing to use a cane to help steady himself (I'm only 44, so I know how hard using health aids can be), there are many that fold up & even have leather holsters that you can attach to your backpack or bag. There is a red safety light I bought for my cane - it comes on automatically in the dark and/or when the cane touches down.

Here is the link: http://www.maxiaids.com/products/176...ash-Light.html

I hope you're able to get some accommodation. It seems that they have tried so hard to accommodate certain needs, others have fallen by the wayside. I suggest you write to Disney and explain your concerns. If we all do that, we might see some positive change.

Good luck!

Cast of Characters: Me (44), DH (Disboard Name toklotursa)(50), DD (25), DGD (born 10/9/13) and our fur babies, Rufus (shih tzu) & Jasper (yorkie) & Hudson (moose sized mutt)

1971, 1978, 1983, 1987, 1989 DD's 1st Trip, 1997, 2000, 2002, 2007 POR-DD's Senior Trip, 2008 POR, 2009 POLY, May 2010 POR, May 2011 POLY, May 2012 CSR, Dec 2012 CSR, May 2013 OKW, May 2014 OKW

UPCOMING: May 2014 -OKW
scooby9932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #43
smidgy
dimples

thanks for the link scooby!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #44
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

A warning - the other thread about services for guests with visual disabilities was closed mostly because of complaints that one type of disabilities (guests using wheelchairs) got all services and guests with vision related disabilities got none.

Comparing services and complaining about one type of disability getting "more" is not productive and usually leads to bad feelings and closed threads.
Perceptions about services guests think other guests are getting are often not true. The grass almost always looks greener from the other side of the street.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #45
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

So e resources

Link to the official Disney page about DAS:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...rd-fact-sheet/

Link to the Official Disney page about services for blind and visually impaired guests:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...lity-services/

Link to official Disney page about Service Dogs (the term "Service Dogs" includes "Guide Dogs"):
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...rvice-animals/

This is a link to the National Federation of the Blind page about a trip the officers of their Travel and Tourism Division took to WDW
http://www.nfbtravel.org/Tour_Walt_Disney_World.html
The video at the bottom on that page talks about services for guests who are blind or visually impaired. It specifically is about technology devices that are available (audio descriptive device).

A blog from a man who is blind talking about his experience with the device:
http://blog.serotek.com/2012/02/disney-standard.html

Hints on navigating WDW from the National Association of a Blind Students:
http://nabslink.org/student-slate/st...perience-magic

A link to Special Mouse Podcast about
Tips for WDW and the DCL for Guests with Visual Impairment

DIS site blog about resolution of visual impairment class action lawsuit against Disney
http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/02/11/d...-class-action/

ADA page about lodging (hotels) and the blind:
http://www.ada.gov/lodblind.pdf

A hotel executive organization's 'take' on meeting ADA requirements:
https://hotelexecutive.com/business_...-vision-guests

Vision aware information about services for blind and visually impaired:
http://www.visionaware.org/section.a...ocumentID=3223

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: