Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
ltmoko
Earning My Ears

Changes in DAS?

Wondering if there has been any changed in DAS since they changed it in Oct? We went in Nov and could not get one for my wife who has D.J.D in both knees. She has a tough time with stairs, ramps and long waits standing up. They said she did not fit the criteria for a DAS card! Mobility is not an issue in WDW to get a card. Well I gotta tell you it is, but they said no and we had a tough time! Hoping that things have changed some by our next trip this oct!!! Thanks!
ltmoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmoko View Post
Wondering if there has been any changed in DAS since they changed it in Oct? We went in Nov and could not get one for my wife who has D.J.D in both knees. She has a tough time with stairs, ramps and long waits standing up. They said she did not fit the criteria for a DAS card! Mobility is not an issue in WDW to get a card. Well I gotta tell you it is, but they said no and we had a tough time! Hoping that things have changed some by our next trip this oct!!! Thanks!
There has been no change in regards to mobility and the DAS. Someone with mobility issues is given the recommendation of renting a mobility aid such as a wheelchair or EVC.
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Wouldn't a wheelchair or ECV solve the problem? How is she able to handle the distances from ride to ride all day if the length of the line is to long? Even with a DAS card you still have to go thru the line.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Wouldn't a wheelchair or ECV solve the problem? How is she able to handle the distances from ride to ride all day if the length of the line is to long? Even with a DAS card you still have to go thru the line.
With no place to sit.
And, during a DAS for many people means more walking because you have to go to the attraction to get a Return Time and then go back to ride.

The average guest walks at 3-6 miles a day in a Disney park, much of it outside of lines. We kept track on our last trip and actually walked at least 6 miles per day (and were not doing a lot of backtracking or anything that made the distance longer).
Most guests with mobility related needs would have them met with using a mobility device (wheelchair, ECV, walker/rollator) in lines/attractions. Mobility devices can be used in attractions without DAS.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmoko View Post
the DAS is ONLY for people who physically cannot WAIT IN LINES.

her issues can be met with an ECV or wheelchair which has ALWAYS been the standard response by Disney. ECVs and WC may enter 98% of all lines.

as such she does not qualify for a DAS.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjvb View Post
the DAS is ONLY for people who physically cannot WAIT IN LINES.

her issues can be met with an ECV or wheelchair which has ALWAYS been the standard response by Disney. ECVs and WC may enter 98% of all lines.

as such she does not qualify for a DAS.
Not really - some people can physically wait in line (as in, they have no physical issues with it) but other issues cause it to be impossible. For people who cannot physically wait in line, the suggestion is to use an ECV or wheelchair.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: