Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #16
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorli View Post
A friend has a child has many allergies - nut free, dairy free, egg free, gluten free. She also has many mobility and sensory issues. They really want to bring their family to Disney but have many questions, cautions, and concerns. The DD eats much of the same things every day for all meals. They have purchased prepackaged meals that are free of all her allergies, that they use daily. The problem they are running into is needing a microwave in the room for breakfast, as she can't wait to eat. Another challenge they have is, if they bring meals with them to restaurants and counter services will they microwave it for them? For medical needs, does Disney ever provide a microwave? Is the old GAC program help me at all in the food needs? They have no problem waiting Their turn but are hoping the pass can help them with the saving their spot in line. Any help that can be provide will be greatly appreciated.
There are microwaves in every food court. They are not allowed in rooms unless a kitchen or kitchenette is part of the suite. In these situations, there will already be a microwave in the room.

If you are asking if the DAS will help in food courts and restaurants, then no, it only works for attractions with FP+. Mobility issues are addressed by Disney with a standard 'wheelchair/ECV' response. For a child, a stroller will be allowed to be used in the queue as a wheelchair once you get a tag from guest services.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #17
RoxMomma
Earning My Ears

I would caution against using public microwaves if the child has severe allergies. Those found in the Baby Care Centers, for example, will have had heavy use and the risk for cross contact issues would be high.
RoxMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #18
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
That is just bad service that may or may not be related to a special order. Certainly not an issue related to needing a DAS. That should not happen to you in every single restaurant on Disney property. It shouldn't happen at all. But anyone could have that issue, anywhere. There is a thread right now on the community board about bad service in the restaurant industry with similar examples.

If I was waiting an hour for a single meal (from the time I arrived at the restaurant), I would have the waitress and manager at my table to actively take care of the issue, especially if everyone else had been eating for a while. And bringing those people in would happen way before we arrived at the "full hour after my other children have eaten and been ready to go" point.
It is completely because of the special order. Specifically, when trying to save time people would be more likely to go to quick service which is where we have had the biggest problem with excessive waits. I would consider it normal for us to wait up to 20 minutes for DS's food after the rest of us have our food at counter service locations. At table service they bring our food out together, but if we pay a lot of attention it's noticeable that other tables do get food faster. There are then also buffets, where a good 10 minute wait for food is a minimum in our experience (and reasonable, but its still a wait). Since DS developed his allergies we plan about 2 hours/day longer for eating than we did before on our trips- and we used to do deluxe dining so we were doing 3 table service/day before. If it were inconsistent I wouldn't associate the two, but it's every day on every trip.

I'm not saying it should get a DAS card. I just get why it would be a thought if you are planning and see a medical reason why a regular activity occupies a significantly greater amount of time than it would for the average person. It wouldn't work at guest services, but it's a completely valid question whether something can help when dealing with multiple allergies in a way that many locations have little or nothing "on menu" for you.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:11 AM   #19
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
There are microwaves in every food court. They are not allowed in rooms unless a kitchen or kitchenette is part of the suite. In these situations, there will already be a microwave in the room.
Actually Coronado Springs has a few microwaves that guests can request. It's first come, first served though. You can not request one ahead of time, even for medical reasons. We tried requesting one ahead of time for my diabetic mom and was told we would have to wait until we arrived to request one from housekeeping. I don't think they have very many though. Out of nine trips there, we've only been able to get a microwave for the room once.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:46 AM   #20
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
Actually Coronado Springs has a few microwaves that guests can request. It's first come, first served though. You can not request one ahead of time, even for medical reasons. We tried requesting one ahead of time for my diabetic mom and was told we would have to wait until we arrived to request one from housekeeping. I don't think they have very many though. Out of nine trips there, we've only been able to get a microwave for the room once.
Good to know. I wonder if it is because Coronado Springs was marketed/built as a moderate convention resort, so they wired the rooms appropriately?
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: