Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 05:29 AM   #1
alle_rednic
Earning My Ears

Pre Paid Cell Phone

I'm from the UK so I am planning on getting some disposable prepaid cell phones for all of us on this trip... then we don't have to stick together and we won't get 'lost'... but which type?

Which provider is better?
What type of phone? Its probably won't get much use after this holiday so a cheap one would be okay? But it would be nice to splurge... (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...id+smartphones)

I don;t know much about phones anyway but I would like an android so I could use the Disney Apps etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T401G-...id+smartphones - this a good one?

I am planning on getting them shipped to our resort and we only need three phones... Our holiday is in October so there is still plenty of time to figure out what we'll need.

Thank you
alle_rednic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Have you asked this question on the UK Thread. You will probably get better responses there.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #3
DawnM
Dawn

If you have iPods, most of the areas in the parks have wifi access, you could just download a calling app to your iPod (or even an iphone or android) and use the calling app to text and call.

My son took his iPod on our last visit and texted me and even called me a few times in the parks.

Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

Second link is not a smart phone. It is a really crappy regular phone. My daughter had one on Tracfone service. It was pretty much junk for making phone calls, but anything would work for texting, even the junk. No apps as it is just a regular "dumb" phone.

The other one is AT&T GoPhone. If all you want to do is text, GoPhone is definitely the way to go over here. I pay $30/month for 3 phones with texting only, but that is also not unlimited. We don't live on our phones, so it works and is cheap. Calling is $0.10/minute for what I have. Unlimited stuff is available and is comparable to everything else prepaid. AT&T has the most coverage, most people around me have AT&T because it's the only one that gets signal away from the 2 major cities of Pennsylvania.

If texing only, data is not available with GoPhone. You have to at least have a $25 250minute calling plan to get data. Again, I don't surf the internet while driving down the road, so I don't want data. I'll admit it would be useful for my wife in the passenger seat to have data when traveling, but a day traveling with data isn't worth $50/month to me.

I don't know how the new Tracfone prepaid Androids with data work. They are new. I switched from Tracfone to GoPhone because of texting a few years ago.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
magicaddict
Mouseketeer

I found last year when in the World that making phones calls is next to impossible because it's always so noisy. The times I got a call I'd just ask the person to text because I couldn't hear them and felt like I had to yell for them to hear me. Texting is definitely the way to go. As someone else suggested, if you have an itouch you can get an app to allow you to text.
magicaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

With an android phone and a google voice account you can use the free app called groovoip lite to text and make calls using your google voice account over WiFi. It will make and receive calls and it does work quite well. Also if somebody calls and leaves a voice mail gvoice will take the message and then covert it to text and text it to you as well as email it to you. Works quite well, imho.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
If you have iPods, most of the areas in the parks have wifi access, you could just download a calling app to your iPod (or even an iphone or android) and use the calling app to text and call.

My son took his iPod on our last visit and texted me and even called me a few times in the parks.

Dawn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: