Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #136
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

Play n’ Dine at DHS (Thursday, Nov 14th)

Thursday was DHS day! The park was scheduled to open at 9am, so we booked an 8:05 reservation for breakfast a Hollywood and Vine. With FP+, we didn’t have to worry about getting to TSM right at opening, but we still liked the idea of getting up and at ‘em early!

We walked over to DHS from the YC. I sadly did not take any pictures…but it was a nice walk. It’s a bit longer than the walk to Epcot, but quiet and peaceful.

There was a pretty big crowd at the DHS entrance, which surprised us. So, it took a little time to get in, and we were a few minutes late for our reservation. But, we arrived, checked in, and waited ~10 minutes before our name was called.

Let’s see…I’ll start with the food first! The characters weren’t out, so after we were seated, we pretty quickly took turns going up to the buffet (while the other stayed at the table with DD).

This was probably our least favorite meal of the trip. I mean, the basics were fine…but nothing really “wowed” us. I did like the banana bread, and of course, the croissants! DD liked her watermelon and pancakes. The Mickey waffles were definitely on the extra crispy side. The corned beef hash casserole was kind of “ew.”

The character interactions were good. They seemed to make their way around the tables faster than at Crystal Palace. Although, while DD loves Disney Jr., she just didn’t know the characters that were greeting during our visit. She knew Jake --- but was not familiar with Oso, June, or Handy Manny. I wished at the time that Sofia and Doc McStuffins were greeting instead! Well, I guess someone was reading my mind…because now they are!

Jake:

Oso:

June:

Truth be told….we didn’t wait for Handy Manny to come around.

After leaving, I thought to myself that we wouldn’t be back. Well, with Sofia and Doc in the line-up now…we will probably return…but we’ll see!

Coming Next: Sofia, Sofia, Sofia, Sofia (oh, and the rest of our DHS visit)!

DW DH DD2

YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
JulieODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #137
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Oh, I love that walk to DHS - so peaceful!

We have never done H&V for the very reason that you mention - DD didn’t really know any of those characters. She never watched TV at the Baby Einstein age. She would have enjoyed seeing Jake though and would even now like to see Sofia, I think. So I am not telling her that Sofia is there.

I’m glad you had an okay time at least - the food LOOKED good anyway!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2014, 05:19 AM   #138
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Oh, I love that walk to DHS - so peaceful!

We have never done H&V for the very reason that you mention - DD didn’t really know any of those characters. She never watched TV at the Baby Einstein age. She would have enjoyed seeing Jake though and would even now like to see Sofia, I think. So I am not telling her that Sofia is there.

I’m glad you had an okay time at least - the food LOOKED good anyway!
Sofia's arrival at H&V is our little secret!

DW DH DD2

YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
Old 02-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #139
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

I did breakfast at H&V once with no kids. We just wanted an early breakfast in DHS! I would have to agree about the food, it was ok.
At first I thought we were at DHS that day too, but I checked my notes and no, this was our AK day.
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #140
amazingact21
Upendi

The big draw for early morning reservations is getting in the parks early, but that shouldn't mean the food can be subpar. Not to mention, it's breakfast food...pretty basic fare.
The Mickey waffles in your phoo did look kinda burnt. Guess the chefs were having an off day...

Too bad Sophia wasn't doing meet and greets yet. I have yet to meet a toddler that doesn't adore her.

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
amazingact21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #141
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

Ahh the beauty of the Epcot resorts and the ability to walk to 2 different parks.

Hahaha, I really don't know why but the Disney Junior characters just scare the life out of me!!
DisneyKid4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #142
KatMark
DIS Veteran

We've never done breakfast at H&V (we mistakenly did dinner twice and NEVER again...I'd go to McDonalds before I'd go back to H&V), but they didn't have Playhouse Disney when our boys were little. I hate to say your food does not look all that appetizing, but cute pictures with the characters.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #143
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

We did H&V the trip before last and I have to agree.... It wasn't terrible but it was nothing to write home about. I remember our server just being rude and you are right about the characters. Other than Jake, I feel like the characters needed a re-do.... Thankfully H&V agreed and now have Doc and Sofia.
Second Star to the Right And Straight On till Morning
April 2006- Offsite DH ( was BF) first time
December 2005- Offsite ( Engaged at Magic Kingdom)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-Disney All Star Sports ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012-1 night at Port Orleans FQ
September 2012- 1 night at Art of Animation
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort

Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #144
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
The big draw for early morning reservations is getting in the parks early, but that shouldn't mean the food can be subpar. Not to mention, it's breakfast food...pretty basic fare.
The Mickey waffles in your phoo did look kinda burnt. Guess the chefs were having an off day...

Too bad Sophia wasn't doing meet and greets yet. I have yet to meet a toddler that doesn't adore her.
That's a great point! And, Sofia was doing a meet and greet in DHS...just not at H&V --- my next post will cover that excitement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKid4Life View Post
Ahh the beauty of the Epcot resorts and the ability to walk to 2 different parks.

Hahaha, I really don't know why but the Disney Junior characters just scare the life out of me!!
You mean, you don't find their GIANT heads with expressionless faces to be normal?!? That Oso is just bizarre looking! (There, I said it! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
We've never done breakfast at H&V (we mistakenly did dinner twice and NEVER again...I'd go to McDonalds before I'd go back to H&V), but they didn't have Playhouse Disney when our boys were little. I hate to say your food does not look all that appetizing, but cute pictures with the characters.
Haha, thanks...I think?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsheliz View Post
We did H&V the trip before last and I have to agree.... It wasn't terrible but it was nothing to write home about. I remember our server just being rude and you are right about the characters. Other than Jake, I feel like the characters needed a re-do.... Thankfully H&V agreed and now have Doc and Sofia.
The re-do was much needed!! I'm sure the whole experience is still a sticky mess...but at least the characters would be more exciting to my DD!

DW DH DD2

Old 02-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #145
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

I actually wondered while we were there when exacty they were going to upate that breakfast- it seemed like such a wasted opportunity with some new 'big' hits on Disney's pre-K set! I mean, Little Einsteins was from when MY oldest was a tot- some 10 years ago!

I'm glad they updated it & it has to be a 'hot' breakfast now with Sophia and Doc there! I also thought I heard from some other report that the food was better now too? Not sure where I saw that?!

So, next time will be awesome, right?
Tinker326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #146
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
I actually wondered while we were there when exacty they were going to upate that breakfast- it seemed like such a wasted opportunity with some new 'big' hits on Disney's pre-K set! I mean, Little Einsteins was from when MY oldest was a tot- some 10 years ago!

I'm glad they updated it & it has to be a 'hot' breakfast now with Sophia and Doc there! I also thought I heard from some other report that the food was better now too? Not sure where I saw that?!

So, next time will be awesome, right?
I can't say too much about the food -- but adding Sofia and Doc is a big deal with DD! It was a great change to make!

DW DH DD2

Old 02-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #147
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

Travel Update!!

It's been a CRAZY week at work...and it will probably be like this for months. So, I'm hoping to get a "real update done this weekend.

In the meantime, I wanted to share an exciting travel update......

We booked our first Disney Cruise!!
We are sailing on the Fantasy...7night Western Caribbean in May. I even have to break this guy out ---

3 months to go - and we can't wait! We've done several cruises, but have never done a Disney cruise.

Any readers been on DCL? Would live any and all recommendations and tips you have!

DW DH DD2

Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #148
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieODC View Post
Travel Update!!

It's been a CRAZY week at work...and it will probably be like this for months. So, I'm hoping to get a "real update done this weekend.

In the meantime, I wanted to share an exciting travel update......

We booked our first Disney Cruise!!
We are sailing on the Fantasy...7night Western Caribbean in May. I even have to break this guy out ---

3 months to go - and we can't wait! We've done several cruises, but have never done a Disney cruise.

Any readers been on DCL? Would live any and all recommendations and tips you have!
OMG- When? We leave on the Fantasy May 31st- Eastern though. We probably are on the boat after you! How funny is that?

We've done 2 Disney Cruises (Magic & Dream)..this is our first time on the Fantasy! I have a PTR I just started (in siggie) if you want to bounce off ideas!!
Tinker326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #150
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
OMG- When? We leave on the Fantasy May 31st- Eastern though. We probably are on the boat after you! How funny is that?

We've done 2 Disney Cruises (Magic & Dream)..this is our first time on the Fantasy! I have a PTR I just started (in siggie) if you want to bounce off ideas!!
Aww, we just miss you! We are on the May 24th sailing! I'm going to check out your PTR now...

DW DH DD2

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: