Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
Oz Mum
Taking the kids to Disneyland Sept 2014 - my dream come true :)

Rainforest Cafe... What do you guys think??

Hi All,

Anyone been the Rainforest Café in Downtown Disney? Is it worth a visit?? We aren't planning on hitting Disneyland the afternoon we arrive, the kids have never been on a long flight (neither have we for over 10yrs) so I'm thinking we might not be feeling totally "fresh" but I'd still like to have a plan in mind of something special we could do to start our Disney Adventure. I thought maybe a wander around Downtown Disney & dinner. Any idea's or feedback???

Thanks
Oz Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
dollarmite
Mouseketeer

We went there on our last visit (2009) and enjoyed it. From memory the meals were quite large (but then again most US meals are so I'm not sure why I was surprised...). Afterwards we went for a walk through the restaurant, including the upstairs part. The jungle theming is very well done.

We'd flown in from NY that day, and whilst it's not as long a trip as from NZ/Aust, just wandering around Downtown Disney and having a very late lunch at RC was a nice relaxing way to spend a few hours and also get us in the Disney spirit for our park visit the next day (because it had been 3 days since we'd been immersed in the Disney spirit at WDW ).
Disneyland Hong Kong - Christmas 2013

dollarmite is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure. About 7-8 years ago I went to the Rainforest Cafe in another US city (can't remember which) and really didn't like it. It was such a sensory overload, and was so very loud, that I was happy to get out of there.

Now that I have a child, I may view it differently, and may even give it another try one day. I'm just not sure I would want that day to be one when I'm feeling a tad tired and grumpy from a long flight.

As for exploring DTD, that sounds like a nice slow-paced way of spending your first day.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #4
OzCath
Mouseketeer

I think you will be pretty shattered after the long flight so a nice walk and early dinner would be your best bet. We went to Rainforest Cafe last trip. It is quite noisy, but fun. My meal was surprisingly tasty. Kids enjoyed themselves. It does get pretty busy so earlier the better if you don't have a reservation.
Disneyland/Hojo - March 2011
Disneyland/Hojo - November 2013

Dreaming of our next trip....
OzCath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:47 AM   #5
aussiecookfamily
Earning My Ears

As previously stated Rainforest Cafe is busy and loud (and relatively expensive). That said it is fun, so if your children are older and can handle the sensory overload without loosing the plot (when tired) I would say it is a good idea. If they are younger and maybe over tired from the day I would give it a miss. Downtown Disney is still a great idea for the afternoon - the Disney shop will certainly help you get in the mood.
DCL - 2013 (Fantasy)

aussiecookfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:22 AM   #6
heidispidi
Mouseketeer

I would recommend rethinking RFC the day you arrive. We had an early booking the day we arrived 3 years ago, around 5:30pm, and almost fell asleep in our food LOL. We enjoyed the food, and have already made a reservation for our April trip, but for our 2nd night. Maybe this time I will remember something more than onion rings and being seated in a dark corner!

heidispidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 AM   #7
Oz Mum

Thanks for the replies guys - I'm so excited, feel like I'm going to burst!!

Maybe the best bet is to just play it by ear & hope that it's not booked out if we feel energised & decide to go for dinner I'm sure there are lots of other options if RC doesn't work out but a stroll around Downtown Disney the day we arrive will be on my wish list for sure!!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
Aussiefamof5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Mum View Post
Hi All,

Anyone been the Rainforest Café in Downtown Disney? Is it worth a visit?? We aren't planning on hitting Disneyland the afternoon we arrive, the kids have never been on a long flight (neither have we for over 10yrs) so I'm thinking we might not be feeling totally "fresh" but I'd still like to have a plan in mind of something special we could do to start our Disney Adventure. I thought maybe a wander around Downtown Disney & dinner. Any idea's or feedback???

Thanks
Hi Oz Mum we went to rainforest cafe last year. It's very noisy and my 3 year old was freaked at the screeches of the monkeys and the big snake on roof. I wouldn't recommend going the day yo arrive maybe just chill at down town Disney and do a reservation for rainforest the next evening maybe?

The food at rainforest isn't all that great but I loved it simply for the coronaritas!!! Ask to be seated in a quiet area near the aquariums

Disneyland DLH & HOJO November 2013

Aussiefamof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
kyton
Earning My Ears

Our kids love RC - it is the place they always pick for dinner and now breakfast. Like others have said the food is not great but portions are huge and cocktails are very good. I would warn any littlies about the storms and noises - our then 2yo hated the gorilla in 2012 but in 2013 was perfectly fine because he knew what happens.

Legoland / Disneyland / Aulani / Trump Waikiki - October 2013
kyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

We have been to Rainforest Cafe many many times over the years and we love it. We have done it many times on arrival night (at Disneyland mainly, TRex has become our preference at WDW) and always love it. But unless you are going to go late afternoon (outside "normal" meal times), I wouldn't go without a booking as the wait without one can be very very long! It is a great restaurant, the food isn't 5 star or anything, but it's decent, the menu is huge and it's something that you won't find here in Australia. The theming is great! Share the Volcano for dessert, it's delicious. We have a landry's card now so don't have to wait as long but definitely book if you decide to go.
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:07 AM   #11
Oz Mum

Thanks for all the replies - it sure does sound unreal, like nothing my kids have ever seen before!! Really looking forward to checking it out
Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 PM   #12
Pumpkin meme
I never travel to WDW in December ...its overrun with chanting cheer squads and pushy mothers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
We have been to Rainforest Cafe many many times over the years and we love it. We have done it many times on arrival night (at Disneyland mainly, TRex has become our preference at WDW) and always love it. But unless you are going to go late afternoon (outside "normal" meal times), I wouldn't go without a booking as the wait without one can be very very long! It is a great restaurant, the food isn't 5 star or anything, but it's decent, the menu is huge and it's something that you won't find here in Australia. The theming is great! Share the Volcano for dessert, it's delicious. We have a landry's card now so don't have to wait as long but definitely book if you decide to go.
Pumpkin meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:10 AM   #13
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
We're going to grab one of those Landry's cards, we'll be able to use it enough

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #14
Pumpkin meme
I never travel to WDW in December ...its overrun with chanting cheer squads and pushy mothers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee View Post
We're going to grab one of those Landry's cards, we'll be able to use it enough
good, then its your shout at rainforest DTD......

Pumpkin meme is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: