Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #16
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Well I think we can be fairly sure about a few things here:
  • Disney needs to come up with a way to generate some income from billions they've spend on nextgen
  • The DVC model of new guaranteed income streams paying for future expansion is seen as a success, so maybe they are looking for ways to apply that to future theme park expansions/capital projects
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #17
nickeymouse
DIS Veteran

I really hope not...
May 2002--Wilderness Lodge
December 2004--Disney Magic and AK Lodge
September 2005--Grand Californian in Disney Land
September 2006--Wilderness Lodge
May 2008--Wilderness Lodge
April 2009-- All Star Music
August 2010--Beach Club
April 2011--All Star Movies
August 2011--Disneyland Hotel in Disney Land
March 2013--Magic Kingdom and Epcot Day Trips
January 2013--Animal Kingdom Day Trip
nickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #18
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeymouse View Post
I really hope not...
ditto....
Old 02-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #19
Klane64
Earning My Ears

If you notice on the commercial it says fast + is free DURING TEST,
Klane64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #20
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klane64 View Post
If you notice on the commercial it says fast + is free DURING TEST,
Not quite. It says "stay at select Walt Disney World hotels and enjoy our new FastPass Plus during our test."

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:12 AM   #21
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I fully expect Disney to come up with some form of "pay to play" eventually. I find it hard to believe that they would even wait 8-10 years.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #22
DVCcurious
Mouseketeer

There is a reason they can't sell FPs right now: there isn't enough capacity.

Think about it, if they sold an unlimited FP option what would Epcot be like? Everyone who paid for unlimited FP would be in line for either TT or Soarin'. Currently Disney can control how many people are allowed to enter the FP line, but the only way they could do that if they sold FPs is if they limited how many FP they sold. And how mad would people be if they couldn't buy FPs because it was sold out, and then they had to stand in line like a loser as all the people who bought FP passed them by?

FPs can't be for sale unless Disney can schedule them. And they can't schedule an unlimited FP option (unless the unlimited option allowed you to schedule one per hour or something). Ride Capacity is the issue.

That's why I believe it will take a decade for Disney to sell FP+ slots. They must add more ride capacity for good rides before they can even try to sell FPs. Right now there just aren't enough FP slots available.
DVCcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #23
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCcurious View Post
I wish I could believe Disney will actually invest enough money in the next 10 years to change that situation. Doubtful.

Your example mentioned Epcot. What are these 2-3 additional "E" ticket attractions they are building to dramatically increase capacity?

That said, I really don't see capacity being as large of an issue as you make it out to be. The simplest solution would be to just cap the number of add-ons they sell each day. That's what Universal does with its Express Pass.

The current FP+ system certainly has enough capacity that they could sell...say...3 extra FPs per day to the first 5000 guests who buy. *IF* paying for FPs is in the cards, Disney would jump at that opportunity in a heartbeat rather than waiting 10 years and investing $2 billion on new attractions.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #24
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
I wish I could believe Disney will actually invest enough money in the next 10 years to change that situation. Doubtful. Your example mentioned Epcot. What are these 2-3 additional "E" ticket attractions they are building to dramatically increase capacity? That said, I really don't see capacity being as large of an issue as you make it out to be. The simplest solution would be to just cap the number of add-ons they sell each day. That's what Universal does with its Express Pass. The current FP+ system certainly has enough capacity that they could sell...say...3 extra FPs per day to the first 5000 guests who buy. *IF* paying for FPs is in the cards, Disney would jump at that opportunity in a heartbeat rather than waiting 10 years and investing $2 billion on new attractions.
well over the next decade we will see, disney springs, avatar, and poly DVC for sure. They are investing a large amount of money but not in all of the areas people on the disboards would like. They are investing in ways that they will get big profits. Disney springs shopping, entertainment, and dining means money steady for a long time. Avatar a new land in AK, new nighttime shows and entertainment, as well as a nighttime safari big money for disney in the short and long term. DVC means big money for 50 years at least. There are two parks I don't see disney investing in for big projects that would be MK and Epcot. AK is first but DHS will have to get something done within the next ten years that park has very similar attendance to AK. Also I see disney continuing to add DVC after the poly opens in 2015. What the OP is saying makes sense I think MK could get pay for more FP right now but the other three parks just don't have enough. With that being said I don't see disney adding a pay for more thing this year at least. I'm sure disney is looking into it tho.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #25
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

The issue is not "capacity"...it's inventory.

Lets face it...wdw has rested on laurels and not made an attempt to maintain attractions that... Well..."attract"... since about 2000.

And now when they give everyone a portal to go and book what they have...it shows in brutal fashion.

Is anyone not embarrassed at the fastpass+ sites for studios, ak, and most especially EPCOT?

I'm embarrassed for them and for me for paying for it. They feel nothing will change the latter. Not a safe bet.

I'm no expert... But it doesn't feel right. For every step they take forward... They take one back... And the whole place slides back/ allows other entertainment the opportunity to look better through the looking glass.

I sure as hell am not paying $50 a day extra to skip the lines for things I've done 100 times over. That's not the experience that I have invested in... And it's borderline theft.

That's not "a good deal", "magic", or even "reasonable"...
It's simply a bad producer/consumer relationship titled completely to one side.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #26
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
The issue is not "capacity"...it's inventory. Lets face it...wdw has rested on laurels and not made an attempt to maintain attractions that... Well..."attract"... since about 2000. And now when they give everyone a portal to go and book what they have...it shows in brutal fashion. Is anyone not embarrassed at the fastpass+ sites for studios, ak, and most especially EPCOT? I'm embarrassed for them and for me for paying for it. They feel nothing will change the latter. Not a safe bet. I'm no expert... But it doesn't feel right. For every step they take forward... They take one back... And the whole place slides back/ allows other entertainment the opportunity to look better through the looking glass. I sure as hell am not paying $50 a day extra to skip the lines for things I've done 100 times over. That's not the experience that I have invested in... And it's borderline theft. That's not "a good deal", "magic", or even "reasonable"... It's simply a bad producer/consumer relationship titled completely to one side.
I'm with you 100%

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:32 AM   #27
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCcurious View Post

Think about it, if they sold an unlimited FP option what would Epcot be like? Everyone who paid for unlimited FP would be in line for either TT or Soarin'. Currently Disney can control how many people are allowed to enter the FP line, but the only way they could do that if they sold FPs is if they limited how many FP they sold. And how mad would people be if they couldn't buy FPs because it was sold out, and then they had to stand in line like a loser as all the people who bought FP passed them by?

FPs can't be for sale unless Disney can schedule them. And they can't schedule an unlimited FP option (unless the unlimited option allowed you to schedule one per hour or something). Ride Capacity is the issue.

That's why I believe it will take a decade for Disney to sell FP+ slots. They must add more ride capacity for good rides before they can even try to sell FPs. Right now there just aren't enough FP slots available.

Disney can easily control these fast passes by limiting the number they sell for each day. Can you imagine.

We are ready at 180 days to make dining reservations, 60 days out to do our FP+ selections.

Just think how many people will be sitting at their computers at 11:59 pm, credit card in hand, say 30 days prior to arrival to pay $50 p/day p/psn for the coveted extra FPs available for that day. They are limited and when they are gone, they are gone.

Heck, I bet people will be selling them on EBAY for inflated prices like Disney Vera Bradley Bags!

"Pixies to Me! I was online at Midnight and got Fastpasses for the entire family for our first day!"

It will be like the old days with Southwest Airlines boarding passes.

Eventually some computer wizard will write a program so he can get your Fastpasses at midnight------for a small fee.

Whew. I'm rambling again.

I want to be wrong. I'm willing to bet we will not wait very long until ...... Something happens.

Last edited by Donut23; 02-22-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Donut23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #28
Donut23
Long-Time Disney Fan

Quote:

Lets face it...wdw has rested on laurels and not made an attempt to maintain attractions that... Well..."attract"... since about 2000.

And now when they give everyone a portal to go and book what they have...it shows in brutal fashion.

Is anyone not embarrassed at the fastpass+ sites for studios, ak, and most especially EPCOT?

I'm embarrassed for them and for me for paying for it. They feel nothing will change the latter. Not a safe bet.

I'm no expert... But it doesn't feel right. For every step they take forward... They take one back... And the whole place slides back/ allows other entertainment the opportunity to look better through the looking glass.

I sure as hell am not paying $50 a day extra to skip the lines for things I've done 100 times over. That's not the experience that I have invested in... And it's borderline theft.

Sadly, I agree.

I have had little success with DH and WDW since they stopped Lights Of Winter.....and we have CASTMEMBER benefits! What you observe is true.

The best I can do is manage to drag him across country to DL for now. Big sigh.
Donut23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #29
Laz
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I am no expert or historian, but wasn't Toy Story Mania built recently? That draws quite a bit! What I am seeing is the lack of a number of headliner attractions. However, when a new attraction opens, WOW! Toy Story Mania is that type of ride for me. The real WOW factor ride is RSR in DCA. You talk about an attraction! Then you can also talk about lines and wait times for stand by and FP-. I am no FP+ lover by any means, but if there is an attraction that needs a FP+ type booking, it would by RSR. I would have loved to have Reserved an ride time early for RSR. I would have waited for rope drop, use Wide Right stand by manuver, and then come back later at my pre arranged time.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #30
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Not an Olaf's chance in Summer...

It isn't just lack of headliners - it's lack of capacity in what they have.

TSM is a big draw, but the problem is that it is doesn't have the capacity for the demand. Thus the persistently long waits. That in turn increases the perception that you either HAVE to have a Fastpass, or you HAVE to wait in a long line. And that just makes it worse.

And capacity limits how many FP they can make available.

They either need to increase the number of headliners/E-tickets to draw away from the existing ones, or increase the capacity of the ones they have (like add another theater for Soarin', another track for TSM, etc.)

Avatarland only addresses this at one park. And one that hasn't really been seen as a problem so far.

Star Wars land - which as far as I know went on indefinite hold while money is diverted to various other projects - would only address it at DHS.

Epcot still seems to be left out, and probably needs it a bit more than DHS.

And even with them, how much are they really increasing the overall capacity by? Most renditions I've seen only really add one headliner attraction.

So if lack of headliners and the available FP+ slots is the problem, they'd need to go beyond Avatarland and Star Wars before I think they've solved the problem sufficiently to change gears.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: