Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #316
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

If you are going for garden/pool view right at 7m you have a good chance. If you want me to check dates just let me know Standard and Boardwalk go early, often at 11m
I have been kinda watching. I can see the dates approaching. I can see I would most likely need to waitlist for standard. Question though... if I go ahead and book garden/pool and then standard comes through won't that do funny things to my points? I have two rooms currently booked. One used the 2013 points... the next used the remaining 2013 and borrowed from 2014. I wasn't too worried about this since IF I booked a standard at BWV it would be the same points as what I already booked with. IF I switched and booked at either say BCV or a garden/pool view at BWV then it would cost more points... thus needing to borrow more points from 2014. THEN if the waitlist came through those points would be put into holding, yes?

Quote:
Torrential!!!!!!!!! And this was not the worst or wettest day. Not by a long shot.
I know you had it far worse than we did. You will have to forgive me as I complain on my TR... I will try and keep in mind I could have had it worse. I just hated how cold and wet it was!
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #317
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I have been kinda watching. I can see the dates approaching. I can see I would most likely need to waitlist for standard.
Honestly, I think your chances at Standard, unless it's only for a couple of nights, are really slim. I can check as far out as you need if you like, just FB me the dates. You are fighting ToT, F&W and MNSSHP. There just aren't very many of the standard studios in inventory to even work with (I have the number some where lol). Chances are excellent for pool/garden on the 7m day but even with a waitlist on the standard, it's likely it won't go through unless it's only 1-2 nights. Especially if you are trying to get 2 rooms. I got lucky and I think I only got lucky as everyone assumed F&W was starting a week later than it ended up being. And they didn't make the announcement until mid day, on the day I booked. Pure dumb luck. Ironic too as I do own there but am using Aulani points so I couldn't have booked early even if I wanted to. Since we didn't even decide for sure until Monday what we were doing and 7m day was Tuesday, it really was unbelievable how well it played out.

Quote:
Question though... if I go ahead and book garden/pool and then standard comes through won't that do funny things to my points? I have two rooms currently booked. One used the 2013 points... the next used the remaining 2013 and borrowed from 2014. I wasn't too worried about this since IF I booked a standard at BWV it would be the same points as what I already booked with. IF I switched and booked at either say BCV or a garden/pool view at BWV then it would cost more points... thus needing to borrow more points from 2014. THEN if the waitlist came through those points would be put into holding, yes?
Yes. In your scenario no matter what you do, since it's after the banking deadline it doesn't much matter which "extra" points you end up with, they'd be in holding. So basically there is zero benefit to waitlisting if it is less than what you booked already, simply given where it falls in your use year. You could waitlist off of what you have booked and be risk free but if you want to be sure of either BVW or BCV then you'll have to borrow and then at that point, may as well leave it there.

I'm in a similar boat for our last 2 nights. I'd like AKV Value. It's not looking good. I have to buy a few points to make it happen. I can't do that for a waitlist so unless it's available when I make the ressie, I can't do it at all. I could buy points to fill out the ressie on a Standard view and then waitlist the value. But that's pretty silly since on the off chance it did come through, all that would happen is I'd lose 3 points to holding which I know I can't use and possibly end up with a worse view.

Quote:

I know you had it far worse than we did. You will have to forgive me as I complain on my TR... I will try and keep in mind I could have had it worse. I just hated how cold and wet it was!
Well we had one REALLY cold day (ok, maybe two now that I think about it) and one REALLY wet day. The rest were mixes I think. It was all over the board. Complain away though, wet and cold is wet and cold and not what anyone wants in Florida even when you know it can happen!

In general though we did pack for it so all things considered it really was manageable. We changed some plans but for the most part just worked through it. And really, is it any worse than the horrid humidity and rain in the summer? Same thing, just opposite spectrum. You are still at Disney!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #318
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When are you going to DL?

You know F&W does go into November....
Going to be in Vegas for my annual conference the DL hopefully. It might go the other way, DL then Vegas but I would rather have the conference first.

Yup that leaves no time for F & W

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
So glad that you got to see Pat again, and this exchange is hilarious -- children will learn to fear the DIS! Eyes everywhere!
It was funny, we had planned to cross paths when we realized our FP+ were for the same time. A couple of texts back and forth and I just happened to be closer to SM. As I scanned the crowd, with my best LG eyes, I spotted the boys. The came over to the side and sat on the wall and waited. I figured as a parent Cynthia would like to know the boys made it and were doing as they were told.

I know I was always happier to find out my kids behaved better when out in public than they did at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
This round goes to Pat!
This was the left side - they one I was not used to going in since usually the right side feeds the FP.

Quote:
Live reporting, it was hysterical! The boys LOVED Pat. Definitely not the last we saw of her.
Had nothing to do with the boys getting my extra duplicate Sorcerers cards.

I figured like I replied to Glenn that as a parent it is always nice to know the boys heard you when you gave them instructions.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #319
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Honestly, I think your chances at Standard, unless it's only for a couple of nights, are really slim. I can check as far out as you need if you like, just FB me the dates. You are fighting ToT, F&W and MNSSHP. There just aren't very many of the standard studios in inventory to even work with (I have the number some where lol). Chances are excellent for pool/garden on the 7m day but even with a waitlist on the standard, it's likely it won't go through unless it's only 1-2 nights. Especially if you are trying to get 2 rooms. I got lucky and I think I only got lucky as everyone assumed F&W was starting a week later than it ended up being. And they didn't make the announcement until mid day, on the day I booked. Pure dumb luck. Ironic too as I do own there but am using Aulani points so I couldn't have booked early even if I wanted to. Since we didn't even decide for sure until Monday what we were doing and 7m day was Tuesday, it really was unbelievable how well it played out.
I think you are right... I can hope... but seriously doubt it. If you could look... my dates are 10/1 to 10/8. I looked at OKW in studio near hospitality and already it is full for race weekend. One not near hospitality is open... but it shows me that host resorts will lack availability that weekend. I could look at just a one bedroom and but that defeats the "alone" style Steve was hoping for not to mention his family wants their own space.

Quote:
Yes. In your scenario no matter what you do, since it's after the banking deadline it doesn't much matter which "extra" points you end up with, they'd be in holding. So basically there is zero benefit to waitlisting if it is less than what you booked already, simply given where it falls in your use year. You could waitlist off of what you have booked and be risk free but if you want to be sure of either BVW or BCV then you'll have to borrow and then at that point, may as well leave it there.
I may end up just doing that... keeping the OKW rooms and waitlisting. that way if the standard comes through great... if not, we don't end up losing points by switching to a "lower point" option. Then again, maybe I just borrow more from 2014 to cover the needed extra points. I need more points..... I can see it already.

Quote:
I'm in a similar boat for our last 2 nights. I'd like AKV Value. It's not looking good. I have to buy a few points to make it happen. I can't do that for a waitlist so unless it's available when I make the ressie, I can't do it at all. I could buy points to fill out the ressie on a Standard view and then waitlist the value. But that's pretty silly since on the off chance it did come through, all that would happen is I'd lose 3 points to holding which I know I can't use and possibly end up with a worse view.
How many single use points can you purchase at a time?

Quote:
Well we had one REALLY cold day (ok, maybe two now that I think about it) and one REALLY wet day. The rest were mixes I think. It was all over the board. Complain away though, wet and cold is wet and cold and not what anyone wants in Florida even when you know it can happen!

In general though we did pack for it so all things considered it really was manageable. We changed some plans but for the most part just worked through it. And really, is it any worse than the horrid humidity and rain in the summer? Same thing, just opposite spectrum. You are still at Disney!

You are right... as bad as the weather can sometimes get... still being in Disney beats anything else.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #320
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

Caught up. Thanks for not posting skittle pictures!! I do appreciate it!!

I always think you should just opt for more time in Disney with the cruise! Hope it all works out! Can't wait until I finally take a cruise!

How you coordinate so many people at so many different places all to meet up at the same time is beyond me. I've got my tiny little family of 3 and I'm all, "I'm good. There's enough on my plate!" Don't know how you do it, wonder woman! Can't believe how wet you guys got! It's gets to the point to where all you can do is laugh because no matter how you fight it, you're gonna get wet!
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR

princess_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #321
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Going to be in Vegas for my annual conference the DL hopefully. It might go the other way, DL then Vegas but I would rather have the conference first.

Yup that leaves no time for F & W
I take it the annual conference is in the fall. Yes, work first, then Disney, much better!

Quote:
It was funny, we had planned to cross paths when we realized our FP+ were for the same time. A couple of texts back and forth and I just happened to be closer to SM. As I scanned the crowd, with my best LG eyes, I spotted the boys. The came over to the side and sat on the wall and waited. I figured as a parent Cynthia would like to know the boys made it and were doing as they were told.

I know I was always happier to find out my kids behaved better when out in public than they did at home.
It was very nice to know they were there and doing what they'd been told, especially since I heard that from you before any of them texted me.

Quote:
Had nothing to do with the boys getting my extra duplicate Sorcerers cards.
Nope, nothing to do with that at all

Quote:
I think you are right... I can hope... but seriously doubt it. If you could look... my dates are 10/1 to 10/8. I looked at OKW in studio near hospitality and already it is full for race weekend. One not near hospitality is open... but it shows me that host resorts will lack availability that weekend. I could look at just a one bedroom and but that defeats the "alone" style Steve was hoping for not to mention his family wants their own space.
Own space is a very good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh, it's not good news.
Right now, in the standard studio, only 2 of then nights are available, 10/2 and 10/3

In the pool/garden the 4th and 5th are sold out but the rest is available

For BW view only the 2nd and 5th are available.

I think Pool/Garden is your best chance and you will likely need to waitlist. It depends, if you are doing a sp[lit stay you'll have a good chance, waitlisitng the whole week will be more difficult and of course right over the race weekend itself, the hardest.

Quote:
I may end up just doing that... keeping the OKW rooms and waitlisting. that way if the standard comes through great... if not, we don't end up losing points by switching to a "lower point" option. Then again, maybe I just borrow more from 2014 to cover the needed extra points. I need more points..... I can see it already.
and then you'll use them. I need more but oh, am not going to do it. It about killed me to walk away from the BW points that I was waitlisted for, they FINALLY became available earlier this month (10 months on the waitlist). We can live with what we have, it is enough, or it should be/needs to be!

Quote:
How many single use points can you purchase at a time?

Which at $15 a pop adds up....still a ton cheaper than rack rate depending on how you use them!

Quote:
You are right... as bad as the weather can sometimes get... still being in Disney beats anything else.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
Caught up. Thanks for not posting skittle pictures!! I do appreciate it!!
My pleasure!

Quote:
I always think you should just opt for more time in Disney with the cruise! Hope it all works out! Can't wait until I finally take a cruise!
They are fun! And it will be lovely to do it as a couple only.

Quote:
How you coordinate so many people at so many different places all to meet up at the same time is beyond me. I've got my tiny little family of 3 and I'm all, "I'm good. There's enough on my plate!" Don't know how you do it, wonder woman! Can't believe how wet you guys got! It's gets to the point to where all you can do is laugh because no matter how you fight it, you're gonna get wet!
Exactly, all we could do is laugh.

Last edited by eandesmom; 02-21-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #322
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Whew!

Except….breaking news!

It was just announced that food and wine will start on the 19th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But since I'd already typed all that out…I left it in.

Winner Winner STEAK dinner. In Argentina. Or New Zealand, or Hawaii…
Awesome! That's a lot of permutations to run through, but it's great that things work out for the best!

Quote:
I loved the Holiday touches on the boat and in the queue but honestly I do think they could have done more with it, a lot more.
I hadn't seen many reports on the Jingle Cruise, so that leaves me to believe most people feel the same way.

Quote:
What can I say, day one, photo mojo not terribly present!
It'll pick up. It always does.

Quote:
I had a special DISmeet planned at our FP+! Actually it hadn't really been planned, more just like dumb luck in the planning (or great minds thinking alike) but still it had worked out. Pat (poolrat) had a FP+ for Space the same time we did.
Yay!!!

Quote:
Space, to me, ties with BTMRR as the best "first" ride to do in the world, or at least in MK and while I'd missed out on one mountain, I was feeling pretty darn good about what we’d been able to get done so far.
Agreed!

Quote:

This may well be my FAVORITE picture of the trip!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry the rain dampened the day. But you finally got some rides in!
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #323
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Own space is a very good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, he kinda vetoed the one bedroom idea. It would save some points, so I am not sure how that would work... the 2014 points were brought into the 2013 year so they would need to be banked, right? So at least if we did that now we wouldn't have them go into holding. (if we did that after our banking date they would go into holding, right?) Still... even though there is the nice big bedroom that we would have to ourselves at OKW... there is the issue of his parents and where would we put them in addition to the girls if and when they show up.

Quote:
Ugh, it's not good news.
Right now, in the standard studio, only 2 of then nights are available, 10/2 and 10/3

In the pool/garden the 4th and 5th are sold out but the rest is available

For BW view only the 2nd and 5th are available.

I think Pool/Garden is your best chance and you will likely need to waitlist. It depends, if you are doing a sp[lit stay you'll have a good chance, waitlisitng the whole week will be more difficult and of course right over the race weekend itself, the hardest.
I kinda figured as much when I saw that the studio at OKW was sold out for race weekend. I guess I will have to really consider my options. Mostly likely is to just stay at OKW... but I did so want to try a different resort. I have read so many people say they own one place and never actually stay there. I guess the fact that we want to use our dvc during race weekends will likely mean we always have to stay at our home resort...or possible do a split stay. ... now there is another option...but since we are only there 7 nights it would likely be just for 2 nights and I can't see Steve or Kira going for that.

Quote:
and then you'll use them. I need more but oh, am not going to do it. It about killed me to walk away from the BW points that I was waitlisted for, they FINALLY became available earlier this month (10 months on the waitlist). We can live with what we have, it is enough, or it should be/needs to be!
I think we are not too far off of what we really need. Could we use twice as many..definitely. What we need though is maybe another 50 to 100 points per year. I get emails that include small contract listings and I think maybe I should look into it. However, while I get that keeping the same use year would make it less complicated... I am not sure that a small contract at a different resort would not make things more confusing to me. I mean.. say you have 25 or 50 points somewhere. It lets you see 11 months ahead for those resorts, but that really isn't enough to do much with since you can only book 11 months out with points from THAT contract, right? So 25 points would get you a night or so.. but not a full stay. I guess if we had enough 25 point contracts though we could at least be able to get race weekend covered where we want.

Quote:

Which at $15 a pop adds up....still a ton cheaper than rack rate depending on how you use them!
So paying for a transfer of more points is probably a better idea? Especially if you get them at less than $15 pp? And (don't you love all my dvc questions today) if you transfer in points... are they still resort specific or since they are going into your account do they "become" points from your home resort? I am thinking they keep their UY and resort.. right? Just thinking ahead for next years races. I would like to have some different options for the fall than it looks like I will have this time. So maybe a transfer would help?
Old 02-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #324
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Awesome! That's a lot of permutations to run through, but it's great that things work out for the best!
I need to create a Montecarlo simulator for all my various options, predict my rate of success or failure

They really did work out!

Quote:
I hadn't seen many reports on the Jingle Cruise, so that leaves me to believe most people feel the same way.
I had read that ahead of time so wasn't surprised, or even dissapointed really, just think if you are going to advertise it as they did, a bit more effort would have been nice.

Quote:
It'll pick up. It always does.
One would hope, huh!

Quote:
Sorry the rain dampened the day. But you finally got some rides in!
I did! Good ones too

Quote:
Yeah, he kinda vetoed the one bedroom idea. It would save some points, so I am not sure how that would work... the 2014 points were brought into the 2013 year so they would need to be banked, right? So at least if we did that now we wouldn't have them go into holding. (if we did that after our banking date they would go into holding, right?) Still... even though there is the nice big bedroom that we would have to ourselves at OKW... there is the issue of his parents and where would we put them in addition to the girls if and when they show up.
You can't bank borrowed points, what you'd actually do is keep the borrowed ones as part of the reservation and release current UY points, and then bank those.

I don't see how you'd all fit unless Zoe slept on an air mattress. The in laws would have to take the sleeper sofa unless you gave them the master, Kira would get the sleeper chair and Zoe...cushions on the floor? I'm with Steve. 2 studios works much better unless you want to go for a 2B.

Quote:
I kinda figured as much when I saw that the studio at OKW was sold out for race weekend. I guess I will have to really consider my options. Mostly likely is to just stay at OKW... but I did so want to try a different resort. I have read so many people say they own one place and never actually stay there. I guess the fact that we want to use our dvc during race weekends will likely mean we always have to stay at our home resort...or possible do a split stay. ... now there is another option...but since we are only there 7 nights it would likely be just for 2 nights and I can't see Steve or Kira going for that.
That is exactly it. For race weekends, holidays, food and wine and the like, you need to assume you can stay at your home resort if you book 11m out. Changing on those weekends or times of year is really difficult unless it's just for a few nights and you are open to a split stay. We've had great luck with waitlists, even during Flower and Garden and Food and Wine but...they weren't race weekends.

The other issue you could have, which I just realized, is that if you waitlist both OKW studios, it is possible that only one of them comes through and half of your group is at one resort. If you want a different resort, what about AKV standard view? I know you've stayed there but has the rest yet? I can't recall if that's part of the current TR or not lol.

Quote:
I think we are not too far off of what we really need. Could we use twice as many..definitely. What we need though is maybe another 50 to 100 points per year. I get emails that include small contract listings and I think maybe I should look into it. However, while I get that keeping the same use year would make it less complicated... I am not sure that a small contract at a different resort would not make things more confusing to me. I mean.. say you have 25 or 50 points somewhere. It lets you see 11 months ahead for those resorts, but that really isn't enough to do much with since you can only book 11 months out with points from THAT contract, right? So 25 points would get you a night or so.. but not a full stay. I guess if we had enough 25 point contracts though we could at least be able to get race weekend covered where we want.
Well your overall pool is greater but that only helps at 7m. At 25-50, if you bank and borrow you can maybe get a full stay out of it depending on what you are going for. We have 3 contracts at 3 resorts and it's worked very well for us but we also did buy where we wanted to stay and have used the 11m advantage. On the flip side we've had good luck using them elsewhere at 7m.

We have 315 and while it's tight now, I really can't justify more from a dues perspective so we will need to make it work. with the 24 one time, 339 is a number I should be able to live with. If I didn't keep taking so many trips

Seriously though, other than maybe a race trip or 2 for me, we will be taking 2016 (our 2015 UY) off to let them recover.

And when I think of what we've been able to pull off with those points, it's really rather amazing. Especially given that we started with just one at 105.

Quote:
So paying for a transfer of more points is probably a better idea? Especially if you get them at less than $15 pp? And (don't you love all my dvc questions today) if you transfer in points... are they still resort specific or since they are going into your account do they "become" points from your home resort? I am thinking they keep their UY and resort.. right? Just thinking ahead for next years races. I would like to have some different options for the fall than it looks like I will have this time. So maybe a transfer would help?
Really depends on how many you think you need. In theory a transfer can be less. Problem I seem to see is most transfers offered are usually 50-100 or even larger points and the buyer (transferee) must take all. Smaller transfers at lower price points tend to be ones in the last quarter of the UY. Great for a last minute trip but not for one 7m out. I was looking into it and have decided just to buy the 1x use points.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #325
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You can't bank borrowed points, what you'd actually do is keep the borrowed ones as part of the reservation and release current UY points, and then bank those.
Ok.. I guess that makes more sense. Bottom line is we wouldn't lose points...we would just end up banking which takes our 2014 available points back up a bit.

Quote:
I don't see how you'd all fit unless Zoe slept on an air mattress. The in laws would have to take the sleeper sofa unless you gave them the master, Kira would get the sleeper chair and Zoe...cushions on the floor? I'm with Steve. 2 studios works much better unless you want to go for a 2B.
I was thinking in the event that the in laws completely bailed. Then it would be like we had last month, only it would be Kira on the pull out sofa..Zoe again on the pull out chair (which was way nicer than the sofa btw) and Steve and I in the master. However, given that they are such a wild card I really shouldn't consider it.

Quote:
That is exactly it. For race weekends, holidays, food and wine and the like, you need to assume you can stay at your home resort if you book 11m out. Changing on those weekends or times of year is really difficult unless it's just for a few nights and you are open to a split stay. We've had great luck with waitlists, even during Flower and Garden and Food and Wine but...they weren't race weekends.
This definitely makes me glad that we purchased where we did. I can live with always staying there. Staying always at SS... that might have been an issue for me.

Quote:
The other issue you could have, which I just realized, is that if you waitlist both OKW studios, it is possible that only one of them comes through and half of your group is at one resort. If you want a different resort, what about AKV standard view? I know you've stayed there but has the rest yet? I can't recall if that's part of the current TR or not lol.
That has always been the understanding between Kira and I...that we could end up at different resorts. We were not at the same one last month... in some ways it might be best if we were at different resorts... but then there is the inlaws. I really don't want them too far out for race morning. I did stay at Kidani in a sv room last fall for a night. OMG! SOOO cool. AK is just a bit farther out there than I like...even with a car. However, yes... that has been an idea for the girls. Maybe rather than them move over to us for a night or two or three Steve and I move to them and the in laws take the closer/host resort room.

Quote:

Well your overall pool is greater but that only helps at 7m. At 25-50, if you bank and borrow you can maybe get a full stay out of it depending on what you are going for. We have 3 contracts at 3 resorts and it's worked very well for us but we also did buy where we wanted to stay and have used the 11m advantage. On the flip side we've had good luck using them elsewhere at 7m.
I could see that helping overall but not completely fixing the situation.

Quote:

We have 315 and while it's tight now, I really can't justify more from a dues perspective so we will need to make it work. with the 24 one time, 339 is a number I should be able to live with. If I didn't keep taking so many trips

Oh yes.. dues. I think that is the other issue... while double the points would be grand and all... the amount for dues is more than I would like. We have 230 per year... another 50 to 100 would probably be better for us. So right in line with where you are... I think it may be tight from time to time... but better than what we have now. ESPECIALLY since Steve keeps telling his siblings and cousins to come to disney with us and we can get a room for all of us. I seriously think he is going to have to buy another contract or stop telling them that.

Quote:
Seriously though, other than maybe a race trip or 2 for me, we will be taking 2016 (our 2015 UY) off to let them recover.
That seems like a doable idea. I could see 2016 being a good year for me to do that as well. Or I may end up not booking on points for next february 2015) since it is not going to be even a full weeks trip. Then I should have enough for the fall trip in 2015 assuming I don't borrow more to cover the two rooms this fall. Or I could just borrow from 2015 points for the fall 2015 trip. Assuming ONE room it shouldn't be too bad. But I could see always borrowing in the fall to cover that trip if we keep this up... and it doesn't leave much room for anything else. I need more points. No way around it.

Quote:
And when I think of what we've been able to pull off with those points, it's really rather amazing. Especially given that we started with just one at 105.
It really is. I think I just get... I am not sure "greedy" is the right word... but I want more. KWIM? I am happy to book a room just for my in laws or kids..or who ever... but I also want to be able to enjoy some resort rooms that are not always the standard or value studio. The fact we stayed in a one bedroom for a 6 nights is pretty cool considering how much rack rate is. Add in the night at Kidani and if you compare rack rate to our contract cost.. you can definitely start to see where Disney gets their "it pays for itself in a few trips" deal.

Quote:

Really depends on how many you think you need. In theory a transfer can be less. Problem I seem to see is most transfers offered are usually 50-100 or even larger points and the buyer (transferee) must take all. Smaller transfers at lower price points tend to be ones in the last quarter of the UY. Great for a last minute trip but not for one 7m out. I was looking into it and have decided just to buy the 1x use points.
Sounds like a great decision! I am thinking transfers could get complicated and messy where the one time use is just a more direct option. Can you purchase the one time points if you still have points you could borrow from or if you have current points?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #326
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Ok.. I guess that makes more sense. Bottom line is we wouldn't lose points...we would just end up banking which takes our 2014 available points back up a bit.
Right, as long as you do it before 7/31

Quote:
I was thinking in the event that the in laws completely bailed. Then it would be like we had last month, only it would be Kira on the pull out sofa..Zoe again on the pull out chair (which was way nicer than the sofa btw) and Steve and I in the master. However, given that they are such a wild card I really shouldn't consider it.
Well, if they do bail and a 1B is avail, I'd just switch then. I wouldn't want to risk the chance that they didn't bail...

Quote:
This definitely makes me glad that we purchased where we did. I can live with always staying there. Staying always at SS... that might have been an issue for me.
Not to mention OKW is a better point value. I really wanted to own at OKW but we wanted THV advantage..... But it's also why we have only 1 contract that is there.

Quote:
That has always been the understanding between Kira and I...that we could end up at different resorts. We were not at the same one last month... in some ways it might be best if we were at different resorts... but then there is the inlaws. I really don't want them too far out for race morning. I did stay at Kidani in a sv room last fall for a night. OMG! SOOO cool. AK is just a bit farther out there than I like...even with a car. However, yes... that has been an idea for the girls. Maybe rather than them move over to us for a night or two or three Steve and I move to them and the in laws take the closer/host resort room.
could be an option but yes, it is farther for sure.

Quote:
I could see that helping overall but not completely fixing the situation.

Oh yes.. dues. I think that is the other issue... while double the points would be grand and all... the amount for dues is more than I would like. We have 230 per year... another 50 to 100 would probably be better for us. So right in line with where you are... I think it may be tight from time to time... but better than what we have now. ESPECIALLY since Steve keeps telling his siblings and cousins to come to disney with us and we can get a room for all of us. I seriously think he is going to have to buy another contract or stop telling them that.
It's hard. The NYE trips KILLED our points, we are borrowed out. But in the big picture, I think it's the right number. That said, oh I LOVED having a 2Br....will be hard to go back to a 1 when it's the 4 of us for the Aulani trip next year.

Quote:
That seems like a doable idea. I could see 2016 being a good year for me to do that as well. Or I may end up not booking on points for next february 2015) since it is not going to be even a full weeks trip. Then I should have enough for the fall trip in 2015 assuming I don't borrow more to cover the two rooms this fall. Or I could just borrow from 2015 points for the fall 2015 trip. Assuming ONE room it shouldn't be too bad. But I could see always borrowing in the fall to cover that trip if we keep this up... and it doesn't leave much room for anything else. I need more points. No way around it.
Yep. I can see a 25 or 50 making sense for us but on the flip side want to try to live with what we have since we've added on twice in 2 years already

Quote:
It really is. I think I just get... I am not sure "greedy" is the right word... but I want more. KWIM? I am happy to book a room just for my in laws or kids..or who ever... but I also want to be able to enjoy some resort rooms that are not always the standard or value studio. The fact we stayed in a one bedroom for a 6 nights is pretty cool considering how much rack rate is. Add in the night at Kidani and if you compare rack rate to our contract cost.. you can definitely start to see where Disney gets their "it pays for itself in a few trips" deal.
I do know! I want to stay in a 2B from now on if it's all of us...but how long will it be all of us? really maybe not long enough to need more points and yeah... oh my goodness the rack rate for what we have done wiht our points is just crazy, even with a PIN code or other discount.

Quote:
Sounds like a great decision! I am thinking transfers could get complicated and messy where the one time use is just a more direct option. Can you purchase the one time points if you still have points you could borrow from or if you have current points?
I think you can purchase for any reason, even if you still have current UY points. You can even purchase just the 1x points and not use any "real" points if that makes sense. The trick is you can only do it once per use year and for one reservation. So, for example, I bought a couple to fill out our Aulani trip last year as I needed to preserve every single BWV point for the NYE trip. I had points I could borrow, but didn't want to. If you end up cancelling they are treated like current UY points but not resort specific so I am not positive on how that works. I don't know if they can be banked but they can be re-used. Or at least that's what I've been told.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:18 AM   #327
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I really really appreciate you always being so good about answering my dvc questions. I am almost sure I ask the same ones or similar ones again and again. Someday I am sure I will get it all down... but honestly, sometimes I still get confused. Just today I was thinking about our 2014 points that will hit and really be for trips in 2015. I was getting all confused... then I remembered to just think of those points as 2015 and it made a bit more sense.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #328
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Wow! You really hit some rain, but I'm sure you could deal with it! So fun you got to meet up and ride with Pat! Great ride pic

Your plans are making my head spin again, but after hearing about SJ and the crime there, ITA with just spending extra time at WDW! I had thought it would be great to sail out of there and explore, too. Too bad that with it being a US territory, more couldn't be done to curtail the crime and preserve the tourist trade.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #329
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

All of the ride photos are so great, especially that one of your parents on Splash!!

Ugh, I hate getting caught in a downpour in the parks and getting uncomfortably wet!! I hope you were still able to make it to dinner on time, though.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:38 PM   #330
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
I really really appreciate you always being so good about answering my dvc questions. I am almost sure I ask the same ones or similar ones again and again. Someday I am sure I will get it all down... but honestly, sometimes I still get confused. Just today I was thinking about our 2014 points that will hit and really be for trips in 2015. I was getting all confused... then I remembered to just think of those points as 2015 and it made a bit more sense.
Yes, the whole UY thing is confusing isn't it. It does make fall travel hard, or at least risky and I admit, I like having the DVC travel insurance to cover those trips for that reason. Not that it covers that much but...it's something. It is illogical to think that our 2014 UY really covers calendar 2015 and easy to get confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Wow! You really hit some rain, but I'm sure you could deal with it! So fun you got to meet up and ride with Pat! Great ride pic

It was soggy for sure!

We had a blast with Pat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Your plans are making my head spin again, but after hearing about SJ and the crime there, ITA with just spending extra time at WDW! I had thought it would be great to sail out of there and explore, too. Too bad that with it being a US territory, more couldn't be done to curtail the crime and preserve the tourist trade.
I'm not really sure how much of it has impacted tourism but for the locals no, it's not a good situation. Jeff keeps comparing it to Detroit. Except poor PR can't file for bankruptcy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
All of the ride photos are so great, especially that one of your parents on Splash!!
Isn't that a riot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Ugh, I hate getting caught in a downpour in the parks and getting uncomfortably wet!! I hope you were still able to make it to dinner on time, though.
At least it wasn't that cold and it was SO wet that it was funny. All you could do at that point was laugh.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: