Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #1696
delmar411
DIS Veteran
 
delmar411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 8,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy47 View Post

Guests with a disability card cannot schedule more then one ride in advance. Once you have your card filled out by a cast member for a particular ride, you cannot go and have it filled out for another ride. Yes, of course you can go and get a regular FP ticket if they are available to you. but it depends when you enter the park. Say for instance, Toy Story has none available so, we could not get one.. I'm not arguing the point here... I just lived thru it last week... I know the system and have used the old system for 10 years and now dealing with the new setup. All I'm saying is, you should be able to get your card signed three times, just like you are able to get three FP for any regular guest. Having someone with a disability and trying to deal with all this is a difficult task. Unfortunately a few bad seeds ruined for the majority.
So you feel someone with a DAS should be able to hold 6 times at once?

You can't get regular tickets anymore. So no one can go get regular tickets. Everyone uses FP+. So any guest entering after an attraction is 'sold out' for the day is out of luck. I would count yourself lucky that you can get attractions such as TSM even when sold out for the day. You could easily schedule 3 other attractions using FP+ then immediately get a TSM DAS time when you enter the park and then do the other attractions while waiting for your TSM time.

I'm really not seeing your issue TBH. If pre booking is that important then at any time in the last 7months you could have booked a single night on site and gotten bands for everyone and had the ability to prebook FP+. It was that important to us so that's what we did. At this point there really isn't much benefit to do that for you since AP MBs/advance booking will be rolling out soon.

We've had the new DAS since it rolled out and this has always been the way it was setup from day 1. It actually works extremely well and me saying this is pretty big since I was completely freaked about how YDD would deal without instant access and the ability to loop rides.
__________________
Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one. ~Abbott Joseph Liebling
The test of democracy is freedom of criticism. ~David Ben-Gurion
If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. ~Noam Chomsky
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #1697
Vidia2
DIS Veteran
 
Vidia2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy47 View Post
Guests with a disability card cannot schedule more then one ride in advance. Once you have your card filled out by a cast member for a particular ride, you cannot go and have it filled out for another ride. Yes, of course you can go and get a regular FP ticket if they are available to you. but it depends when you enter the park. Say for instance, Toy Story has none available so, we could not get one.. I'm not arguing the point here... I just lived thru it last week... I know the system and have used the old system for 10 years and now dealing with the new setup. All I'm saying is, you should be able to get your card signed three times, just like you are able to get three FP for any regular guest. Having someone with a disability and trying to deal with all this is a difficult task. Unfortunately a few bad seeds ruined for the majority.
It sounds like you want an adapted version of FP+. That would involve taking away FP+ if an adapted version is given. That would be illegal. The reasons for the GAC change probably have more to do with FP+ than anything else anyway. They want everyone to use FP+ for reasons that benefit them. I understand your reasoning though. Many people in the disabled community will need to utilize both systems as well as mobility access (in some cases) to have equal access. Subtracting an option would be a big problem even if it were legal.

I don't think Disney is factoring into the equation whether or not the FP+ system isn't usable at all for certain individuals. If we can use it for even one attraction during a visit then they can try to spin that into something that benefits us. Some people will have less access and some people will have more. The new system will be and is being abused. I doubt that the changes ever had much to do with abuse or overuse.

Maybe you should contact Disney directly about your family's needs.
__________________
Vidia2 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #1698
seidelhd
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidia2 View Post
It sounds like you want an adapted version of FP+. That would involve taking away FP+ if an adapted version is given. That would be illegal. The reasons for the GAC change probably have more to do with FP+ than anything else anyway. They want everyone to use FP+ for reasons that benefit them. I understand your reasoning though. Many people in the disabled community will need to utilize both systems as well as mobility access (in some cases) to have equal access. Subtracting an option would be a big problem even if it were legal.

I don't think Disney is factoring into the equation whether or not the FP+ system isn't usable at all for certain individuals. If we can use it for even one attraction during a visit then they can try to spin that into something that benefits us. Some people will have less access and some people will have more. The new system will be and is being abused. I doubt that the changes ever had much to do with abuse or overuse.

Maybe you should contact Disney directly about your family's needs.
THAT is the million dollar question for which we will never get an answer. There was an article posted a few days before the DAS roll-out that stated it was planned long before the reports of abuse. Disney was going to change it to bring it more in-line with their NextGen technology (i.e. FP+) at WDW. This just gave them a convenient reason to publicize. I imagine the truth lies somewhere between.
__________________




seidelhd is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #1699
Disneychick75
DIS Veteran
 
Disneychick75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,009

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidelhd View Post
THAT is the million dollar question for which we will never get an answer. There was an article posted a few days before the DAS roll-out that stated it was planned long before the reports of abuse. Disney was going to change it to bring it more in-line with their NextGen technology (i.e. FP+) at WDW. This just gave them a convenient reason to publicize. I imagine the truth lies somewhere between.
I read that too. Conspiracy theorists might say, "Hmmmm, how convenient that articles and a Today Show interview about GAC abuse come about right before Disney decides to stop the GAC." Takes the resonsilbilty off Disney and puts it on those naughty GAC abusers.
Disneychick75 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #1700
Vidia2
DIS Veteran
 
Vidia2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidelhd View Post
THAT is the million dollar question for which we will never get an answer. There was an article posted a few days before the DAS roll-out that stated it was planned long before the reports of abuse. Disney was going to change it to bring it more in-line with their NextGen technology (i.e. FP+) at WDW. This just gave them a convenient reason to publicize. I imagine the truth lies somewhere between.
The PR/propaganda machine has been working overtime on this one. It's worked to a large degree except for the few resistors. LOL

Sorry, so off topic.
__________________
Vidia2 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #1701
mommy2cooper
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 44

Not to sound dumb but can you please tell me what standby time means?? I think no matter what the system is great personally. I have never been to Disney (yet) but I will say not so many places accommodate disabilities like this so I'm grateful for whatever they will give. I actually read the article that's mentioned previously and I recall it saying that people would "rent" disabled people basically so they could ride the rides faster...it's why I've been so scared of the whole DAS system in my trip planning.
mommy2cooper is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #1702
Vidia2
DIS Veteran
 
Vidia2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2cooper View Post
Not to sound dumb but can you please tell me what standby time means??
Standby time is the time it takes to get on a ride using the regular line.
__________________
Vidia2 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #1703
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe
 
phorsenuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.
Posts: 18,671

I have a question about getting a return DAS time. Do you have to go to the intended ride or is there places I can go to like GS or FP+ booth to get one assigned?
__________________
Etsy:BlueBayouDesigns
phorsenuf is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #1704
babyberger
DIS Veteran
 
babyberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
I have a question about getting a return DAS time. Do you have to go to the intended ride or is there places I can go to like GS or FP+ booth to get one assigned?
As of today I believe you still have to go to the intended ride to get a return time. That is how it worked last month but I am hoping that changes now that the kiosks are in place.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
My Recent Deluxe Splurge Sept 2012 - YC, Oct 2012 - WL, Dec 2012 - CR CL, Feb 2013 - CR TPV
Starting the weekend trips again!

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds


Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #1705
goofy47
Frank and Carol
 
goofy47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
So you feel someone with a DAS should be able to hold 6 times at once?

You can't get regular tickets anymore. So no one can go get regular tickets. Everyone uses FP+. So any guest entering after an attraction is 'sold out' for the day is out of luck. I would count yourself lucky that you can get attractions such as TSM even when sold out for the day. You could easily schedule 3 other attractions using FP+ then immediately get a TSM DAS time when you enter the park and then do the other attractions while waiting for your TSM time.

I'm really not seeing your issue TBH. If pre booking is that important then at any time in the last 7months you could have booked a single night on site and gotten bands for everyone and had the ability to prebook FP+. It was that important to us so that's what we did. At this point there really isn't much benefit to do that for you since AP MBs/advance booking will be rolling out soon.

We've had the new DAS since it rolled out and this has always been the way it was setup from day 1. It actually works extremely well and me saying this is pretty big since I was completely freaked about how YDD would deal without instant access and the ability to loop rides.
I don't understand why this simple statement has caused everyone so much confusion.... I'm not trying to beat any system.. Its just fact.. You walk into the park you go to guest relations and you get your picture taken and you get your Disability card. then you proceed to your first ride... you hand it to the cast member and checks the standy time and writes down a time that is 10 minutes less then then the posted standby time.. that is your return time. You come back at that time and go thru the FP line to enter... Simple... we did this over and over again just a week ago in Disney World... that's the procedure. You cannot go to another ride and request another time for that ride on your card... Your only allowed one ride at a time... Simple... With FP you are allowed three at a time... Simple We have no Magic Bands.. no special resort perks... just walk in and get your Disability Card and picture taken. get your card signed and wait for your return time... and if your not in the park early, then you don't have the chance to go get a FP for the more popualr rides like Toy Story... simple.... Just stating the way it works now... They may change it in the future... who knows...
__________________
Frank Carol




1984 Polynesian/Off-Property 11 Days

1985 Polynesian/Off-Property 10 Days
1986 Contempary 10 Days
1987 Fairway Villas 10 Days
1988 Caribbean Beach Resort 11 Days
1989 Grand Floridian/ Off-Property 11 Days
1990 Caribbean Beach 11Days
1991 Port Orleans 11 Days
1992 Dixie Landing's 10 Days
1993 Dixie Landing's 11 Days
1994 All-Star Sports 10 Days
1995 All-Star Music 11 Days
1996 Wilderness Lodge 10 Days
1997 Coronado Springs 10 Days
1998 Shades Of Green 10 Days
1999 Shades Of Green 10 Days
2000 All-Star Movies 10 Days
2001 All-Star Movies 11 Days
2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge 10 Days
We Moved To Florida Summer Of 2003!!!!
2003 Pop Century 5 Days/5 Days CBR
2004 Pop Century 5 Days/5 Days All Star Sports
2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge 5 Days/3 Days POR/2 Days Pop Century
2005 Caribbean Beach 2 Days/2 Days Pop Century/3 Days CBR
2005 Pop Century 5 Days/2 Days Poly/3 Days AKL
2006 Misc....
2007 Pop Century
2008 Pop Century
2009 Ft Wilderness Lodge
2010 All Star Music
2011 Poly
2012 Pop Century
2012 Art Of Anitmation (Ariel)
2013 Pop Century
2014 Art Of Animation (Cars)
goofy47 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #1706
Gracie09
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy47 View Post
I don't understand why this simple statement has caused everyone so much confusion.... I'm not trying to beat any system.. Its just fact.. You walk into the park you go to guest relations and you get your picture taken and you get your Disability card. then you proceed to your first ride... you hand it to the cast member and checks the standy time and writes down a time that is 10 minutes less then then the posted standby time.. that is your return time. You come back at that time and go thru the FP line to enter... Simple... we did this over and over again just a week ago in Disney World... that's the procedure. You cannot go to another ride and request another time for that ride on your card... Your only allowed one ride at a time... Simple... With FP you are allowed three at a time... Simple We have no Magic Bands.. no special resort perks... just walk in and get your Disability Card and picture taken. get your card signed and wait for your return time... and if your not in the park early, then you don't have the chance to go get a FP for the more popualr rides like Toy Story... simple.... Just stating the way it works now... They may change it in the future... who knows...
So it's not the disability accommodation you have a problem with but the difference in treatment of people staying on site as opposed to off site. Because (again using your term) a regular person who is staying off site would enter the park and go to their ride and stand in the stand by line because they also wouldn't have access to fp+. So how are you being treated any different than any other person not staying on site?
Gracie09 is online now  
Old 02-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #1707
delmar411
DIS Veteran
 
delmar411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 8,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy47 View Post

I don't understand why this simple statement has caused everyone so much confusion.... I'm not trying to beat any system.. Its just fact.. You walk into the park you go to guest relations and you get your picture taken and you get your Disability card. then you proceed to your first ride... you hand it to the cast member and checks the standy time and writes down a time that is 10 minutes less then then the posted standby time.. that is your return time. You come back at that time and go thru the FP line to enter... Simple... we did this over and over again just a week ago in Disney World... that's the procedure. You cannot go to another ride and request another time for that ride on your card... Your only allowed one ride at a time... Simple... With FP you are allowed three at a time... Simple We have no Magic Bands.. no special resort perks... just walk in and get your Disability Card and picture taken. get your card signed and wait for your return time... and if your not in the park early, then you don't have the chance to go get a FP for the more popualr rides like Toy Story... simple.... Just stating the way it works now... They may change it in the future... who knows...
I see you don't understand that there is no longer any FP system. No paper tickets. Every person who enters the park has to either prebook FP+ or book it when they arrive. Yes I know you went last week so you should already know this fact.

So you saying you should be able to book 3 rides when you arrive is why everyone is confused. You CAN book 3 rides when you arrive. You just have to use FP+. In fact with a DAS you can book 4 rides when you get there. I suggest learning how to use and maximize the FP+ system. It is a wonderful tool for locals. (You said you go every week so guessing you are local)

And every week you shouldn't need to get a new DAS, for an AP holder it is every 2 weeks.
__________________
Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one. ~Abbott Joseph Liebling
The test of democracy is freedom of criticism. ~David Ben-Gurion
If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. ~Noam Chomsky
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #1708
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,654

Ds had his das renewed today. The cm gave us the old card back. She also gave him a starter attraction right on the das. She took the standby minus 10 minutes for the starter ride. That worked out very well to get it right there at GS.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #1709
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,654

Every guest has FP+ available to them. Just go to a FP+kiosk and set up the times for up to 3 FP+. If you are a resort guest you can scedule this up to 60 days in advance. If you are offsite, you can schedule it the same day at a kiosk.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 02-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #1710
babyberger
DIS Veteran
 
babyberger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Ds had his das renewed today. The cm gave us the old card back. She also gave him a starter attraction right on the das. She took the standby minus 10 minutes for the starter ride. That worked out very well to get it right there at GS.
Oh that is awesome!!! Getting that first attraction at guest services will be a nice time saver!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
My Recent Deluxe Splurge Sept 2012 - YC, Oct 2012 - WL, Dec 2012 - CR CL, Feb 2013 - CR TPV
Starting the weekend trips again!

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds


Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: