DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #16
JustTinking
DVC Member since 2002
 
JustTinking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 233

We've owned at VWL for 12 years and love it. Recently we added on at BWV and mostly for the reasons that your DH mentions. The access to entertainment and dining options, the convenience of walking to 2 parks, can't be beat. And we're new fans of F&W.

Theming definitely more appealing to us at VWL. And using the boat opens up all the dining options on Seven Seas Lagoon - CR, GF, Poly. The sense of peace at VWL is wonderful.

As a few PP already said, you need to decide as a couple what type of vacations you will be taking, and what aspects are most important to you.
__________________
JustTinking

JustTinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #17
Sandisw
Moderator
 
Sandisw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 9,653
DISboards Moderator

We own BLT and BWV. BWV is my DH's favorite and for the exact reasons you mention. Our children are now older--youngest is going to 18 and heading off to college next year. DH and I are now doing two trips a year just us and we enjoy being in the Boardwalk area...one of these times, we are going to try a few nights at SSR because we go for more "adult" type of things vs. the parks, rides, etc.

Being close to Epcot is wonderful for dinner choices, for a nightly stroll with a drink in had, and for just being able to walk around and enjoy the atmosphere.

When we stat at BLT, we do so to get in our MK fix, spend time visiting the resorts along the monorail, and just relaxing, but if he had to choose, it would be BWV.

We have stayed at VWL and while it is a nice and peaceful resort, we prefer ones that can connect us to other options.

Good luck!
__________________
Sandi



Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #18
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom
 
hebbynan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 816

Does anyone know if you can still buy VWL through Disney or must you buy resale? I'm currently checking our options.

TIA
__________________
DH , Me , DS14 , DS10

WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007**SoG 2000*Off Site 1998

No Ticker...
hebbynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #19
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran
 
Msmithmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan View Post
Does anyone know if you can still buy VWL through Disney or must you buy resale? I'm currently checking our options. TIA
You can buy any resort through Disney direct including VWL. That's the wrong question, though.

The question is, "would we want to buy VWL direct?" And the answer is- no!

You can buy the same property for $50 or more less per point on the resale market. On a 160 point contract, that's a price difference of at least $8,000. And resale is identical to direct for all economically reasonable options of use. Read the extensive threads here, for numerous examples of why this is true.
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #20
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,555

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan View Post
Does anyone know if you can still buy VWL through Disney or must you buy resale? I'm currently checking our options.

TIA
Another question might be why do you want to purchase directly from DVC instead of going resale?
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #21
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom
 
hebbynan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 816

Thanks Deb&Bill and Msmithmd. I'm just now in the process of looking into this. We stayed at the WL last year and walked over to the villas to take a look. I fell in love!! We're outdoorsy people and the love the theming of the WL so if we were to buy DVC property, we would want to be at the WL.

As far as resale goes, I have looked into it. And I do see that most of the resale points start around $80 per point. Which is a HUGE reduction over buying direct. Our original thinking was to buy through Disney in order to use the points on cruises, etc. BUT...after looking at the point charts for cruises I see now that it's just cheaper in the long run to pay for the cruise ourselves. The number of points needed for those things is INSANE!

I guess my only question now about buying resale would be this....if we buy resale is there anything we would be lacking other than the ability to use the points at the few non-DVC hotels available at WDW as well as using them on cruises?

Thanks again in advance. You guys Rock!

Heather
__________________
DH , Me , DS14 , DS10

WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007**SoG 2000*Off Site 1998

No Ticker...
hebbynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #22
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran
 
lovin'fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,730

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan View Post
Thanks Deb&Bill and Msmithmd. I'm just now in the process of looking into this. We stayed at the WL last year and walked over to the villas to take a look. I fell in love!! We're outdoorsy people and the love the theming of the WL so if we were to buy DVC property, we would want to be at the WL.

As far as resale goes, I have looked into it. And I do see that most of the resale points start around $80 per point. Which is a HUGE reduction over buying direct. Our original thinking was to buy through Disney in order to use the points on cruises, etc. BUT...after looking at the point charts for cruises I see now that it's just cheaper in the long run to pay for the cruise ourselves. The number of points needed for those things is INSANE!

I guess my only question now about buying resale would be this....if we buy resale is there anything we would be lacking other than the ability to use the points at the few non-DVC hotels available at WDW as well as using them on cruises?

Thanks again in advance. You guys Rock!

Heather
Disney collection and concierge collection is what resales can't use their points for. And just an idea for you, some folks will rent out their DVC points and use that $$ to put towards a cruise...it's a better deal than using your points for the cruise. happy hunting for your contract.
__________________
DVC since 2006
Next trip(s): Aug 12-22 at SSR, BWV, HHI and Nov 3-6 at VWL
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #23
itutorfortravel
I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addiction!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,601

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan View Post
Thanks Deb&Bill and Msmithmd. I'm just now in the process of looking into this. We stayed at the WL last year and walked over to the villas to take a look. I fell in love!! We're outdoorsy people and the love the theming of the WL so if we were to buy DVC property, we would want to be at the WL. As far as resale goes, I have looked into it. And I do see that most of the resale points start around $80 per point. Which is a HUGE reduction over buying direct. Our original thinking was to buy through Disney in order to use the points on cruises, etc. BUT...after looking at the point charts for cruises I see now that it's just cheaper in the long run to pay for the cruise ourselves. The number of points needed for those things is INSANE! I guess my only question now about buying resale would be this....if we buy resale is there anything we would be lacking other than the ability to use the points at the few non-DVC hotels available at WDW as well as using them on cruises? Thanks again in advance. You guys Rock! Heather
We just bought a Wilderness Lodge contract via resale and got it for way less than $80 per point we haven't gotten through ROFR yet but I have seen others get through for as low as what we are paying so I am keeping my fingers crossed!
itutorfortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #24
itutorfortravel
I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addiction!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,601

P.s. The contract was also loaded with bank points!
itutorfortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #25
MagicJourney
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 87

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by itutorfortravel View Post
We just bought a Wilderness Lodge contract via resale and got it for way less than $80 per point we haven't gotten through ROFR yet but I have seen others get through for as low as what we are paying so I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Congrats! Sounds you got a great deal.
MagicJourney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #26
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom
 
hebbynan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by itutorfortravel View Post
We just bought a Wilderness Lodge contract via resale and got it for way less than $80 per point we haven't gotten through ROFR yet but I have seen others get through for as low as what we are paying so I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Wow! That's awesome!! Sounds like you got a very sweet deal! I hope you get through your ROFR period and then smooth sailing.

Hopefully when we decide to buy we'll have that same luck. I really think now that resale is THE way to go! Thanks guys!!
__________________
DH , Me , DS14 , DS10

WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007**SoG 2000*Off Site 1998

No Ticker...
hebbynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #27
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,249

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan View Post
TI guess my only question now about buying resale would be this....if we buy resale is there anything we would be lacking other than the ability to use the points at the few non-DVC hotels available at WDW as well as using them on cruises?
IMO you're losing nothing of value currently and will have the same guarantees as those with qualified points. That is the potential to attempt to make reservations at the home resort 11 months out the the potential to attempt other club reservations the same as all else, currently 7 months out. Those issues are contractual and cannot be changed directly unilaterally. You'd lose access to cash type exchanges that offer not real value over buying what you need for DVC and paying cash otherwise. In effect they did you 2 favors. They kept you from buying extra points to use for low yield options and they forced the resale market lower giving you a better price comparatively.

The real question is whether they could change the playing field in such a way that the savings wasn't worth it or at least take away current options like RCI or BVTC. The there's the question whether they could add other benefits to qualified buyers that would alter the landscape as well. The technical answer is they could do one, both or neither. Ultimately it's my opinion that they can't do enough to alter the reality that significantly cheaper points to use just at DVC is a far better value than retail. But they could take away something that was important to you or that you'd like to have including pass discounts.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #28
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to
 
sleepydog25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twixt here and there
Posts: 3,377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
IMO you're losing nothing of value currently and will have the same guarantees as those with qualified points. That is the potential to attempt to make reservations at the home resort 11 months out the the potential to attempt other club reservations the same as all else, currently 7 months out. Those issues are contractual and cannot be changed directly unilaterally. You'd lose access to cash type exchanges that offer not real value over buying what you need for DVC and paying cash otherwise. In effect they did you 2 favors. They kept you from buying extra points to use for low yield options and they forced the resale market lower giving you a better price comparatively.

The real question is whether they could change the playing field in such a way that the savings wasn't worth it or at least take away current options like RCI or BVTC. The there's the question whether they could add other benefits to qualified buyers that would alter the landscape as well. The technical answer is they could do one, both or neither. Ultimately it's my opinion that they can't do enough to alter the reality that significantly cheaper points to use just at DVC is a far better value than retail. But they could take away something that was important to you or that you'd like to have including pass discounts.
Excellent answer. I've bought both resale and direct, and at the time, each worked best for our situation. I suppose that's my point: if the resale market seems to work for you, and you're willing to accept any possible future restrictions, it's a no-brainer. On the other hand, occasionally contracts pop up via Disney direct that are exactly what you want, and you don't have to worry over ROFR, closing issues with the other owners, or a long lead time to getting your points. We bought a small add-on contract at VWL direct through DVC. At the time, there were few small resale contracts available (more now appear to be on the market), and their asking price was at or above the direct price. We went direct to get the points more quickly (wedding), paid only slightly more than what we could have gotten resale, and got the UY we wanted more quickly. Unlike others have posted, there is room and argument for going direct. Good luck with your decisions.
__________________
Patrick "aka" Sleepydog, Sleepy, or Slydog
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery



sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #29
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,249

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
Unlike others have posted, there is room and argument for going direct.
As I've said many times esp for the new resort, small contracts, when the price difference is modest and when you can't get what you want any other way it is SOMETIMES reasonable to go retail and sometimes it isn't, you have to look at specifics. However, the fact that someone decides to go retail, even having looked at resale, does not automatically make it a reasonable decision, it might just be their choice and right to make bad decisions where applicable. Also, the fact their satisfied with their decision also does not automatically make the decision a good one.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #30
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to
 
sleepydog25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twixt here and there
Posts: 3,377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
As I've said many times esp for the new resort, small contracts, when the price difference is modest and when you can't get what you want any other way it is SOMETIMES reasonable to go retail and sometimes it isn't, you have to look at specifics. However, the fact that someone decides to go retail, even having looked at resale, does not automatically make it a reasonable decision, it might just be their choice and right to make bad decisions where applicable. Also, the fact their satisfied with their decision also does not automatically make the decision a good one.
Oh, I don't necessarily disagree. In fact, the majority of times resale is the way to go. However, should a person opt to buy direct and is quite satisfied with the deal and gets years of happy experiences out of it, I'd be hard-pressed to call that a bad decision. Whether such an option was the best financial choice is easily determined, on that I would agree; yet, one can't always declare something good or bad or reasonable merely due to monetary reasons. Nor does satisfaction with having made the best financial deal automatically make that decision a good one, either.
__________________
Patrick "aka" Sleepydog, Sleepy, or Slydog
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery



sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.