DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #16
Splashboat
Always looking for cheap airfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
You're likely better off putting your efforts into finding a loaded contract that's a good UY and size for you at a fair price than being the one that gets the best deal unless you're one that won't buy otherwise. .
That's what we did. We bought our second contract last spring. I had a price per point I thought was fair but the resales were on the rise.
I found one that was $10 more per point then I wanted to spend but when we rented/transferred off all the banked and current points (we already were staying at a different resort last year) we ended up getting it for about $12 less per point then I planned. (Not looking up the exact amount but that was about what it came out)
So you really have to consider whether you are getting a loaded or stripped contract when you factor price per point.
Splashboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #17
nabi
Home at Disney often!

^^^This is an example of how loaded or stripped can help with cost. We bought a stripped (no current points, but the following year), as we weren't ready to use that contract yet. The points are there, this year, and the price for similar contracts (not stripped, though) is $20 more pp recently.
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #18
itutorfortravel
I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addiction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabi View Post
^^^This is an example of how loaded or stripped can help with cost. We bought a stripped (no current points, but the following year), as we weren't ready to use that contract yet. The points are there, this year, and the price for similar contracts (not stripped, though) is $20 more pp recently.
So how do you think a contract with current points should compare price wise to one that is fully loaded with all of 2013 points? Because I see two very similar contracts at the same resort and both are asking the same PPP...I'd be interested in the one with current points only, but not at the same PPP as the loaded one, yet I'm not sure how much of a PPP difference that should be?
itutorfortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #19
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by itutorfortravel View Post
So how do you think a contract with current points should compare price wise to one that is fully loaded with all of 2013 points? Because I see two very similar contracts at the same resort and both are asking the same PPP...I'd be interested in the one with current points only, but not at the same PPP as the loaded one, yet I'm not sure how much of a PPP difference that should be?
All else equal (UY, points per year, home resort), you can figure about $10-11 per point for any point you pay maint few on or $5 plus the maint fee. For the rest it depends on how likely you are to be able to use the points. For free points you can use but not pay fees on, I'd value them at $4-5 pp. For points you likely can't use (too short notice to count on), I'd put a zero value on them. My definition of neutral on number of points would be if you bought that contract from Disney what points would you get. As a rule loaded contracts are a better value than stripped ones because owners are prepared to take what they are really worth comparatively. That means that there can easily be a $1-2K difference in value or more just on this component alone. UY also matters for many if not most and can be worth close to a years worth of points for some.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: