Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
kansasdisneygal
Mouseketeer

Showin My Family the World for the FIRST TIME! It's gonna be EPIC! May '14! Updt(3/1)

Hello Everyone and Welcome to my second Pre-Trip Report! This trip will be epic, I am sure of it! Getting this trip to happen was not easy and took A LOT of convincing and persuading to make it work, but we will get to that in a little bit.

First, I should probably introduce myself for those of you who did not read along with my previous PTR, which was about a year and a half ago. My name is Jenn and I am a 7th grade middle school math teacher. I’m 25 and have loved Disney my whole life – born and raised on Disney VHS tapes! Growing up, my family traveled mostly to Disneyland. That is where my mom went when she was a child (and had to use E-tickets, which they always used on the Matterhorn) and living in Colorado and Arizona placed us much closer to Disneyland than Disney World. I went to Disneyland about 6 times growing up. Then we moved to Kansas when I was in high school and the Disney trips came to an end since we were further away and I believe driving that distance did not appeal to my parents.

In college, my best friend Sam and I came up with a wonderful plan to go to Disney World together, which we did at the end of May of our junior years (2009). This trip reignited my love for visiting Disney parks and I fell in love with The World. Disneyland will always hold a special place in my heart, but Disney World just takes the cake. Sam and I visited again in 2012, again at the end of May, before she got married in July of that year. Call it a bachelorette trip, if you will.

That is me on the left and Sam and the right. Now that Sam is married and has a beautiful baby boy, my Disney travelling partner is not as available like before. But my desire to go to Disney World was bigger than EVER!!! CUE THE CONVINCING AND PERSUADING. I turned to my parents and asked them what they thought about a family trip to The World. At first, they kind of rolled their eyes, probably thinking “here she goes again”. Now, I am not saying my parents do not like Disney, my mom loves Disney too, but I think my Dad could take it or leave it. Over the next few months, I would randomly bring up the idea.

THEN, I got serious and turned to strategic persuasion. I needed to tug at their heart-strings. One night over dinner, I told my parents that I thought we should take one more big family trip before myself and my brother, Aaron, get much older, settle down, and start families of our own. See, I am 25 and live about an hour and a half away from my parents and my brother is 21 and in college about 3 hours away from my parents. Let me tell you that THIS WORKED!!! This was last April that we made the decision to take a family trip, so of course I have been in planning mode since…but before we get to the plans, let me introduce you to the cast! Me: Jenn

This picture is of myself and my boyfriend, Doug, I figured I should introduce him as well, because I am sure I will mention him more than once!
Favorite Disney Character: Belle
Favorite Disney Movie: Beauty and the Beast
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Restaurant: Ohana
Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

My Dad

This picture is of both my parents at my college graduation a few years ago.
Favorite Disney Character: Donald
Favorite Disney Movie: Monsters, Inc.

We will discover the rest of my dad’s favorites on this trip. He has NEVER been to WDW and when I ask for his input on the trip, he just shrugs his shoulders and tells me to make the decisions. He is a Senior Credit Manager for a major corporation, enjoys bicycling and working out, and has recently been decorating his “Man Cave” in their basement. He wants a pool table…wondering when my mom will cave… Ha!

My Mom

This is my Mom and brother Aaron, taken his Senior year of high school.
Favorite Disney Character: Minnie Mouse
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom

My mom has only been to WDW once and it was for a conference when she used to sell Pampered Chef. It was in the 90’s and she and a friend only visited Magic Kingdom and Epcot in a day and a half. So, her memory of what all they did is not the best considering it was more than ten years ago and it was QUICK! She is scared of heights, so rides like Tower or Terror are a no go for her… but she will ride Splash Mountain…explain that one to me?!?! Anyways, my mom is a tech for an elementary school. Basically, she takes care of hundreds of computers, tablets, printers, etc, etc.

And last but not least, my Brother, Aaron.

Here Aaron and I are enjoying some margaritas on vacation this past summer. Aaron doesn’t have many Disney favorites. He doesn’t remember our trips to Disneyland very well. He was still pretty young when we went, but he is very excited for this trip. Aaron is the family jokester and always keeps us laughing. He is a junior in college right now and double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Public Relations. He wants to work for a news company someday, and has been toying with the idea of wanting to be in front of the camera as a sports caster. Personally, I think he would be amazing at it, but I am not biased at all!!

Alright, so there you have it, the introductions!! Next up, the When and Where!!! Let me know if you are reading along! I am guilty of being a lurker, but would love to hear from you if you are following along!

Last edited by kansasdisneygal; 03-01-2014 at 11:38 AM.
kansasdisneygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
kansasdisneygal
Mouseketeer

Last edited by kansasdisneygal; 03-01-2014 at 11:37 AM.
kansasdisneygal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
anniebabymu
DIS Veteran

Subbing in! Can't wait to hear all of your plans
November 2014: Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon, Girls Only Trip, Pop Century, MVMCP

10 Nights, 9 Days, 2 Birthdays and 1 Magical May 2014 Vacation PTR
Whew... That's a big 'Tato Head! 10 Amazing Days in May '14! Trip Report

Me DH DD6 DD3
anniebabymu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
alan_renfroe
DIS Veteran

Subscribing! Off to a great start!

1200 pics, 1100 miles, 15 deluxe dining meals, 7 days, 6 nights, 1 great time at POR May 29-June 5, 2014 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3289594

Past trip reports:
Team Renfroe's 2nd Trip Report, May 15-22, 2009 - 1500 pictures, dining reviews and DISmeets! - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2187084
Pre-Trip Report for May, 2009 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1884986
First trip report with TONS of pics - May, 2008 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1841491
alan_renfroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
kansasdisneygal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebabymu View Post
Subbing in! Can't wait to hear all of your plans
Yay! Glad to have you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_renfroe View Post
Subscribing! Off to a great start!
Welcome!! Thank you!!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
kansasdisneygal
Mouseketeer

The When and Where!

Hi everyone!! I hope that you all had a Merry Christmas and were able to spend Christmas with your family!! We had an excellent Christmas at my grandparents house. Amongst other gifts, I gave each one of my family members a Disney T-shirt that they would be able to wear on our vacation. I forgot to take pictures before, so I am borrowing the pictures from the Disney website to show you want I gave them.

Mom’s Minnie Mouse t-shirt:

Dad’s Donald t-shirt:

Aaron’s Mickey t-shirt:

I thought these were are really cute and fit each of their personalities. I also got some Disney stuff for Christmas. I was given Monster’s University and the Little Mermaid, both on Blu-Ray. Also, my mom gave me this really neat Beauty and the Beast bag and tshirt- which I think she got both from Hot Topic, and a SUPER SOFT pair of Minnie pajama pants that she got from Target. My boyfriend’s Mom gave me a Denver Broncos Mickey Mouse and Throw set. (I am a huge Broncos fan!! FYI) Finally, I was given 3 Disney Gift Cards, which I have already used to pay down part of the balance on our trip!!

Yay for awesome Disney stuff for Christmas!!

Anyways, last time we left off, I told you that I would update you on the WHEN and WHERE of this trip.

Well, the “When” factor is one of the easier things for us to figure out. Because I am a teacher , my mom works in a school district, and my brother is in college, we had to go sometime during the year when school is out. My dad’s schedule is pretty flexible as far as when he can take vacation time, so we didn’t really have to worry about him.

So, we decided to go as soon as school gets out here in Kansas, especially knowing that many East Coast schools do not get out until June. My last day of work (teacher work day) is May 23rd, where I basically just have to make sure my room is all picked up and ready for summer cleaning. I wanted to give myself a few days between the end of school and the trip, just so I am not stressed beyond belief the last week of school, which is already stressful enough as it is!!

So, we decided on May 27th- June 3rd!!! We were originally going to fly down on the 28th, but I found really great ticket prices out of Kansas City on the afternoon of the 27th. So we are going to get to Orlando around 10:15pm, ride the Magical Express to our resort, and pass out for the night. It will be weird getting there and then having to go to sleep… not sure how well that will work because I will be so excited, but it’s basically giving us an extra full-park day!!!

But what resort am I talking about you might be wondering?!?!

Well, when I first started planning the trip, I figured we would stay at a Value. I knew we would be using the room to sleep and shower, so an elaborate resort was not needed. However, after my mom got to looking at the Values, she said there is no way she and my dad could go 6 nights on a double bed. I had never even paid attention to the sizes because both times I went with Sam we each just took our own bed and a double is more than enough for 1 person…SOOOO… Moderate it is!!!

Then we had to decide on which Moderate we wanted to go with. My mom’s first thought was Carribean Beach Resort, which I truly have no desire to stay at. Not hating on CBR, the feel of it just doesn’t appeal to me. This is also where my Mom stayed the 1 time she was at Disney World, so I convinced her to branch out and try something new…

Well, after looking at the few other options, my mom picked out Port Orleans Riverside! I was so excited!! This is where Sam and I wanted to stay on our last trip, but budget kept us at a Value.

(picture borrowed from Disney website)

I just think that POR looks gorgeous and I am so excited to be staying there. It looks so relaxing, so I am pretty pumped! We have requested to be in the Mansion buildings, so hopefully we will be on that side of the resort.

(picture borrowed from Disney website)

So that’s the WHEN and WHERE for our trip! I have a Disney Vacation Countdown app on my phone and the days actually seem to be flying by. It feels like it was just Thanksgiving, which happened to be my 180 day mark for dining reservations, and today I am at 152 days!

Speaking of ADR’s… I will let you know what those are in the next update!! We have some pretty good reservations, if I do say so myself!! Even several new one’s for me!!
Old 12-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
alan_renfroe
DIS Veteran

Hi Jenn! Great update! Very cool Disney t-shirts!

It turns out that your dates AND your resort are very close to ours! We are planning to stay at Port Orleans Riverside (for the first time) and our dates are May 29-June 5! I'm with you....this resort looks very relaxing and people I know who have stayed there absolutely love it. We've stayed at Coronado Springs Resort twice and LOVED it, but we want a different experience this time. The queen size beds are a BIG deal for us, because we have two teens and we definitely need bigger beds. My wife and I stayed at Pop Century last November and it was great for just the two of us, but it would've been a little cramped for all four of us for a full week.

Hope you all have had a wonderful holiday season! Can't wait to read about your ADRs!

1200 pics, 1100 miles, 15 deluxe dining meals, 7 days, 6 nights, 1 great time at POR May 29-June 5, 2014 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3289594

Past trip reports:
Team Renfroe's 2nd Trip Report, May 15-22, 2009 - 1500 pictures, dining reviews and DISmeets! - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2187084
Pre-Trip Report for May, 2009 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1884986
First trip report with TONS of pics - May, 2008 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1841491
Old 12-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
anniebabymu
DIS Veteran

Love the update!

Looks like you had a great Christmas! It's hard to believe it's over and almost 2014... we go to Disney in 2014!!

We stayed at POR in April and LOVED it! I would have LOVED to stay there again this trip, but a few extra days in Disney won out and value it is! We were over in the Royal Guest Rooms in Oak Manor. It was a great location! Beautiful grounds too! You guys will love it!

Can't wait to hear about your ADR's!

Me DH DD6 DD3
Old 01-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
kansasdisneygal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi Jenn! Great update! Very cool Disney t-shirts!

It turns out that your dates AND your resort are very close to ours! We are planning to stay at Port Orleans Riverside (for the first time) and our dates are May 29-June 5! I'm with you....this resort looks very relaxing and people I know who have stayed there absolutely love it. We've stayed at Coronado Springs Resort twice and LOVED it, but we want a different experience this time. The queen size beds are a BIG deal for us, because we have two teens and we definitely need bigger beds. My wife and I stayed at Pop Century last November and it was great for just the two of us, but it would've been a little cramped for all four of us for a full week.

Hope you all have had a wonderful holiday season! Can't wait to read about your ADRs!
Thank you!! I am getting more and more excited about staying at POR. Last night, you mentioned on the Facebook group that a garden view upgrade and a savings of $350 would be great for me and this is just what I got when I called!

My holidays were great!! Lots of family time!! Hope yours were great as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebabymu View Post
Love the update!

Looks like you had a great Christmas! It's hard to believe it's over and almost 2014... we go to Disney in 2014!!

We stayed at POR in April and LOVED it! I would have LOVED to stay there again this trip, but a few extra days in Disney won out and value it is! We were over in the Royal Guest Rooms in Oak Manor. It was a great location! Beautiful grounds too! You guys will love it!

Can't wait to hear about your ADR's!
I did have a wonderful Christmas!! It is so fun to say "I am going to Disney this year!!!" I would take a few extra days too over a hotel upgrade, but the parents need the queen beds, which I totally get!! Thanks!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
kansasdisneygal
Mouseketeer

Okay, this is not the extensive ADR update... but I wanted to share that I called and got the new discounts applied to our vacation!!!!!!!

We were in a standard room at POR, but the standard rooms were unavailable when I called, SOOOO... we upgraded to a Garden View and saved a grand total of $350!!!!! I am sooo excited about our savings!!

Now, I am not super excited about a Garden View I guess "views" have never really been that important to me, so I am trying to be excited about this upgrade. At least I won't be looking at a parking lot, right??

Anyways, I have been under the weather the last week and a half with bronchitis and it has been no fun. We returned to school today and bless my middle school students hearts, they were so well behaved and listened so well so I didn't have to speak loudly! Gotta love em!

Hoping to get that ADR update to you guys soon... but for now I am going to go rest some more.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #11
alan_renfroe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasdisneygal View Post
Okay, this is not the extensive ADR update... but I wanted to share that I called and got the new discounts applied to our vacation!!!!!!!

We were in a standard room at POR, but the standard rooms were unavailable when I called, SOOOO... we upgraded to a Garden View and saved a grand total of $350!!!!! I am sooo excited about our savings!!

Now, I am not super excited about a Garden View I guess "views" have never really been that important to me, so I am trying to be excited about this upgrade. At least I won't be looking at a parking lot, right??

Anyways, I have been under the weather the last week and a half with bronchitis and it has been no fun. We returned to school today and bless my middle school students hearts, they were so well behaved and listened so well so I didn't have to speak loudly! Gotta love em!

Hoping to get that ADR update to you guys soon... but for now I am going to go rest some more.
Woohooo! That's awesome! We are staying at POR also and got the discount. We ended up saving $373! I was thrilled! We have always stayed at CSR, which we LOVE, but we wanted to stay at POR this time for a different experience. I was thrilled to get the discount!

Past trip reports:
Old 01-16-2014, 01:36 AM   #12
blueangel2
Mouseketeer

Hi! I'm subscribing from facebook!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
kansasdisneygal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Woohooo! That's awesome! We are staying at POR also and got the discount. We ended up saving $373! I was thrilled! We have always stayed at CSR, which we LOVE, but we wanted to stay at POR this time for a different experience. I was thrilled to get the discount!
Hey, any savings is good with me!! I was thrilled too! I have always stayed value before this trip, so the sticker shock was a bit more. Glad to have the discount!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2 View Post
Hi! I'm subscribing from facebook!
So glad to have you here!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:47 AM   #14
anniebabymu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasdisneygal View Post

Gotta love saving some $$$$! We booked a Garden View room on our last trip there, and we basically had a River View room! The grounds at POR are just beautiful!

Me DH DD6 DD3
Old 01-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #15
twinsouvenirs
Mother of Dragons :)

Subbing! We're going to AKV May 23-27 so we will just miss you-- but what a fun trip! I am trying to convince my parents, DS & DBIL to go next Jan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: