Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #1516
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?
 
buffettgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GreatWoods parking lot.
Posts: 3,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggspring View Post
No it is a big deal. I got lucky. On any given day I may or may not be able to do things for no ryme or reason. Everyday I awake to an adventure A simple rain storm and it pressure changes can take me from a good day to a bad within 30 min. Couple degrees warmer, unexpectedly longer wait times could have made the planning I did for a year and the Ridmax plan I adhered to useless and it wouldn't have just affected one day but most likely several days. I would have needed the card just to stay. I didnt use my GAC because I wanted all those with worse situations that day to not be affected by my use. It was respect for my fellow GAC tourists. Since this is off topic a bit, if you still don't understand I welcome you to come lurk around the Fibromyalgia thread here or ask anyone with early MS, Parkinson's, migraines, arthritis ect how different their illness can be from day to day even hr to hour. Having multiple contingencies is the only way we survive.

Actually, I wasn't questioning your need for a GAC / DAS, that's your own personal business. And it's quite presumptuous to assume that I don't know anything about those diseases.

What I'm asking; IF you've never used the GAC in the past (though you've received one) and IF you've not been to Disney under the new DAS policy, why do you assume that things will be any different for you now? You seem willing to discard one of the 'multiple contingencies' that you clearly need, without ever having given them a try.

I too, appreciate the folks on here who are posting about actual experiences with the new system.
buffettgirl is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #1517
tiggspring
DIS Veteran: When I stop talking you'll know I'm dead!
 
tiggspring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh Pa area
Posts: 1,912

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
I'm just trying to clarify this because it doesn't make sense. If you've never used your GAC before, how do you think anything will change for you? Just do what you've always done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
Actually, I wasn't questioning your need for a GAC / DAS, that's your own personal business. And it's quite presumptuous to assume that I don't know anything about those diseases.

First I did not presume you didn't understand these diseases you said it didn't make sense to you (ie you don't understand). Anyone who has had to deal one of these diseases would understand how minor things can bring on big issues.

What I'm asking; IF you've never used the GAC in the past (though you've received one) and IF you've not been to Disney under the new DAS policy, why do you assume that things will be any different for you now? You seem willing to discard one of the 'multiple contingencies' that you clearly need, without ever having given them a try.

I too, appreciate the folks on here who are posting about actual experiences with the new system.
It appears, at the moment the standard "help" is rent a wheel chair. Which is not help at all. Other forms of assistance seem to be reliant the CM in frount of you. There is chaos and major inconsistencies which is not helpful at all. At the moment, from the reports this new program would be more stress than it worth. I fully expect WDW to tweak it like I have said several times. I look forward to the changes and I am lucky not to be going to WDW in the near future. Until then those with MS, Fibro etc have my sympathy as their vacations will not be as easy in the past.

I'm not looking for a fight so I will not be posting again until I hear something new about the program worth commenting on.
__________________
~Bonnie~
MeDHDD 14 DS 12 DD 9Sesi 6 Garfield 5yr Yuki 5yr Yeti 5y

tiggspring is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #1518
StregaNona
Mouseketeer
 
StregaNona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggspring View Post
Nijagirl,
For those of you that dont understand the issues of an invisible disability these are just a few and a wheel chair fixes none of them. On our three trips to WDW I have always gotten a GAC but because of good planning and some luck have never used it because I believe I should only use it when I have to. By the looks of it the new passes will be useless to many of us with invisible mobility/exhaustion issues. The new FP+ with tier system looks like it will hurt us too.

I do hope they get these passes tweeked a bit so they would be a good fall back for people like us.

Those cheaters who used their passes to make money really ruined it for the rest of us WDW was a fantastic place for accommodating those of us with invisible disabilities.
I was at WDW after Thanksgiving and spoke to CMs at Guest Relations about why I used to get a GAC. I was told each time that the new cards are only for children with autism or mental disabilities. Our trip became stressful not only without a disability card, but because of all the guests using FP+, magic bands, etc. I never saw so many people having issues, walking and staring into their phones, etc.

I agree that hopefully Disney will tweek the DAS and that the cheaters ruined the stress free trips of the past.
StregaNona is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #1519
OneMoreTry


DIS Veteran
 
OneMoreTry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The sticks
Posts: 2,621

I want to say something that may not be well-accepted, but it seems that some people need to hear.

Disney World is not for everyone. The lines and crowds are difficult for everyone that visits -- even people without disabilities. Everyone gets tired and faces obstacles. The enjoyment comes at a price for even "normal" people. they get tired feet and headaches and joint pain and dehydration and wish they could sit down and rest in the shade when there is no shade to be had. And some people, even those without disabilities just can't take it. So they do something else.

I think that Disney does a great job trying to accommodate the disabled, but they are not able to make it possible for everyone to enjoy the rides and parks. That's just the way it is.

If the misery is greater than the pleasure maybe it's not for you. There are so many great things to do for enjoyment in this country, maybe waiting in line for a 1 minute ride is just not worth it. Think about it. Even at WDW there are fun things to do other than ride the rides.

I hope that Disney can accommodate everyone here, but the "magic" isn't that magic for real.
OneMoreTry is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #1520
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by StregaNona View Post
I was at WDW after Thanksgiving and spoke to CMs at Guest Relations about why I used to get a GAC. I was told each time that the new cards are only for children with autism or mental disabilities. Our trip became stressful not only without a disability card, but because of all the guests using FP+, magic bands, etc. I never saw so many people having issues, walking and staring into their phones, etc. I agree that hopefully Disney will tweek the DAS and that the cheaters ruined the stress free trips of the past.
What are your needs? Perhaps you do not qualify for a DAS (which is not just for autistic/mental disabilities) whereas you may have been able to get a GAC. Not everyone that used to get a GAC qualifies for a DAS. On other threads you mention being in an EVC. If your needs are purely mobility related you would not qualify.

I don't like that CMs are saying the DAS is for autism. I imagine that many people who no longer qualify for the card are being told as such to help them understand a basic idea of what the card is for without having to explain the ins and outs.
__________________

Last edited by aaarcher86; 12-08-2013 at 04:30 PM.
aaarcher86 is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #1521
lovethattink
DIS Veteran
 
lovethattink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 13,355

OneMoreTry, I think there is something at Disney World for everyone. Though the new rules may have people doing Disney differently in order to have an enjoyable time.
lovethattink is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #1522
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTry View Post
I want to say something that may not be well-accepted, but it seems that some people need to hear.

Disney World is not for everyone. The lines and crowds are difficult for everyone that visits -- even people without disabilities. Everyone gets tired and faces obstacles. The enjoyment comes at a price for even "normal" people. they get tired feet and headaches and joint pain and dehydration and wish they could sit down and rest in the shade when there is no shade to be had. And some people, even those without disabilities just can't take it. So they do something else.

I think that Disney does a great job trying to accommodate the disabled, but they are not able to make it possible for everyone to enjoy the rides and parks. That's just the way it is.

If the misery is greater than the pleasure maybe it's not for you. There are so many great things to do for enjoyment in this country, maybe waiting in line for a 1 minute ride is just not worth it. Think about it. Even at WDW there are fun things to do other than ride the rides.

I hope that Disney can accommodate everyone here, but the "magic" isn't that magic for real.
Sorry, but this is just silly. Disney can provide reasonable accommodations for anyone. Offering accommodations for one disability but not that same accommodation for another if it will help that person is in my eyes unacceptable. If you have a disability that is helped by a DAS I don't think Disney should be so reluctant to give it you - but I understand why it is that way, and I hope for the sake of a lot of people it sorts itself out after a while. The fact is the DAS is there and offered to some, it can help a lot of people, with genuine needs, and at the minute some of those people with genuine needs are being turned away. And that ISN'T right.

I have pretty much decided I won't be trying for a DAS. I am lucky that I have two weeks in Orlando and a 14 day parkhopper ticket. The only way I can manage it the parks is because of that - Because of my conditions, there's no way I can stand OR sit in any significant line, and getting to RD is not a likely possibility either. It's taken a lot of changes in my vacation plans but I am lucky I have enough days to be smart about booking my FPs and still hopefully get to see everything. I truly feel with those with needs who aren't as lucky and are now missing out when they don't have to.
Rowanonfire is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #1523
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowanonfire View Post
Sorry, but this is just silly. Disney can provide reasonable accommodations for anyone. Offering accommodations for one disability but not that same accommodation for another if it will help that person is in my eyes unacceptable. If you have a disability that is helped by a DAS I don't think Disney should be so reluctant to give it you - but I understand why it is that way, and I hope for the sake of a lot of people it sorts itself out after a while. The fact is the DAS is there and offered to some, it can help a lot of people, with genuine needs, and at the minute some of those people with genuine needs are being turned away. And that ISN'T right. I have pretty much decided I won't be trying for a DAS. I am lucky that I have two weeks in Orlando and a 14 day parkhopper ticket. The only way I can manage it the parks is because of that - Because of my conditions, there's no way I can stand OR sit in any significant line, and getting to RD is not a likely possibility either. It's taken a lot of changes in my vacation plans but I am lucky I have enough days to be smart about booking my FPs and still hopefully get to see everything. I truly feel with those with needs who aren't as lucky and are now missing out when they don't have to.
I think it's hard. I'm sure there lots of people that would rather get a DAS instead of a wheelchair/EVC but mobility issues don't qualify (or something similar). I don't think it's appropriate to give out to anyone that wants one or they'll fall into the same issues as the GAC.
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #1524
Rowanonfire
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I think it's hard. I'm sure there lots of people that would rather get a DAS instead of a wheelchair/EVC but mobility issues don't qualify (or something similar). I don't think it's appropriate to give out to anyone that wants one or they'll fall into the same issues as the GAC.
Not everyone, no. But at the minute it's ridiculous. For example - not all or even the majority of mobility problems are solved with a wheelchair.
Rowanonfire is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #1525
1girln3boys
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowanonfire View Post
Not everyone, no. But at the minute it's ridiculous. For example - not all or even the majority of mobility problems are solved with a wheelchair.
Exactly!! I know mines not.
__________________

Me: 38 DH: 39 DD 16 DS 14 DS 8 DS 6

Past Disney Trips:
First Family Trip Pop Century: June 6-11 2011
All Star Sports: May 31st-June 9th 2012
1girln3boys is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #1526
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowanonfire View Post
Not everyone, no. But at the minute it's ridiculous. For example - not all or even the majority of mobility problems are solved with a wheelchair.
I wouldn't say majority. I've seen a ton of posts with people who just can't walk as much as necessary at Disney but are befuddled that they can't get a DAS and are advised to get a wheelchair because of their dignity.

I do think people are being denied quickly who would qualify in part because of the way they're asking or what they're leading off with and the CMs are jumping the gun.
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #1527
DLRwish
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkymouse40 View Post
I'm here now and the Gac program is awful. I argued for 15minutes with cast member at MK and he kept saying there was no disabillity pass. Their new rule is they only give passes to autistic children and severely mentally challenged adults. No disability passes of any kind. Can we say discrimination! !
Of course it's discrimination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
People are really throwing the word discrimination like the word bully. The more people use it for everything the less meaning it has.

What are your needs? It's entirely possible the DAS is not meant for your needs. Not giving it to everyone that asks is not discrimination. It's a tool that help with specific issues. I will say, it's not a rule that it's for autistic kids .
So if I go to City hall and claim I have autism or anything on the Spectrum, then I'll be given a DAS automatically because, as you said, I qualify. That's not fair.
The DAS stands for Disability Access Service, not "Autism Access Service". I'd be pretty upset if a Cm would have my a reply like "It's for people with Autism or other mental challenges. " So the CM is basically saying I am NOT disabled because I don't have ASD , and that those with ASD are more disabled than others and therefore are priority.

I'll be emailing Disney about this.


It's infuriating to read the DAS has been covering, for the majority, cognitive and behavioral problems..as if those were the only disabilities in the world.
DLRwish is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #1528
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,165

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I wouldn't say majority. I've seen a ton of posts with people who just can't walk as much as necessary at Disney but are befuddled that they can't get a DAS and are advised to get a wheelchair because of their dignity.

I do think people are being denied quickly who would qualify in part because of the way they're asking or what they're leading off with and the CMs are jumping the gun.
Again, I agree 100%. Guests need to articulate what their needs are, and it's up to Disney to decide how they will be accommodated. Saying "I need a DAS" (not saying that anyone here did that), is not the way to approach the situation.

And I do believe that there are some needs that can't be accommodated. When I see people say that they or their children absolutely can't wait more than 5 or 10 minutes, even outside of the line, or that they're only in the parks for 3 or 4 hours, so they have to do as much as they can in that short time, then no, I don't think those people can be accommodated.
OurBigTrip is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #1529
OurBigTrip
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,165

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRwish View Post
Of course it's discrimination.


So if I go to City hall and claim I have autism or anything on the Spectrum, then I'll be given a DAS automatically because, as you said, I qualify. That's not fair.
The DAS stands for Disability Access Service, not "Autism Access Service". I'd be pretty upset if a Cm would have my a reply like "It's for people with Autism or other mental challenges. " So the CM is basically saying I am NOT disabled because I don't have ASD , and that those with ASD are more disabled than others and therefore are priority.

I'll be emailing Disney about this.


It's infuriating to read the DAS has been covering, for the majority, cognitive and behavioral problems..as if those were the only disabilities in the world.
Would waiting the full ride wait time outside of the line accommodate your needs? If so, how so?

Not asking for me, as it's none of my business, but rather to demonstrate what you need to articulate to GS. Because really, that's all a DAS does - provide you with a return time so that you don't have to wait in the standby line.
OurBigTrip is offline  
Old 12-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #1530
1girln3boys
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip View Post
Would waiting the full ride wait time outside of the line accommodate your needs? If so, how so? Not asking for me, as it's none of my business, but rather to demonstrate what you need to articulate to GS. Because really, that's all a DAS does - provide you with a return time so that you don't have to wait in the standby line.
For me yes it would. I need to keep moving otherwise I'm in pain. So no I can't just sit in a wheelchair. Also being in an enclosed line can cause a panic attack. I had one in the FP line at Soarin.
__________________

Me: 38 DH: 39 DD 16 DS 14 DS 8 DS 6

Past Disney Trips:
First Family Trip Pop Century: June 6-11 2011
All Star Sports: May 31st-June 9th 2012
1girln3boys is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: