Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #1516
whodini
Mouseketeer

Were there any announcement made at D23? Everyone seemed to think we'd get an update there. I saw some photos of a model on display.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #1517
OldsDr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2k7 View Post
wow this thread has gone quiet! kinda strange now stuff is finally starting to happen on the island.

For those who dont know, kingbobs site has been publishing lots of pictures in the last few weeks of the demolition on the island.

So lots of demolition going on... but still no real news on whats coming!? anyone heard any more rumours???? even if they're from bus drivers?!
I think most of us who were holding onto any glimmer of hope that they might have something that resembles what pleasure island once was have finally given up all hope.

I know I can't wait to go to WDW to shop in an outdoor mall with all the same 3rd party stores selling the same stuff I can get at the malls at home or online then go over and go bowling or see a movie just like I can at home as well.
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #1518
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsDr View Post

I think most of us who were holding onto any glimmer of hope that they might have something that resembles what pleasure island once was have finally given up all hope.

I know I can't wait to go to WDW to shop in an outdoor mall with all the same 3rd party stores selling the same stuff I can get at the malls at home or online then go over and go bowling or see a movie just like I can at home as well.
Wow...this is a sobering and 100% accurate account of the reality at downtown.

Pleasure island is as dead as river country or discovery island.

And the reasons are classic Disney trying to reinvent the wheel. The bars were never busy enough to meet what their legion of accountants deemed they should be...but you never see a bar go out of business... Pretty easy to survive when they make $150 worth of drinks out of a bottle of vodka...but not good enough

I know when I was an employee... There was alot of rub between the bartenders who worked PI and the corporate idea of what the employees should make. They just couldn't be tolerated. One of the largest tourist locations on earth selling highly overpriced drinks making good money... We just couldn't have that. Tips and wdw always comes down to the same fundamental problem... They are basically a minimum wage labor market for everyone else ( wasn't always that way) and they pay their managers nothing. They highly defend their management wages as "competitive"...but the reality is its more like "below industry standards". PI messed with those things. They have slashed waiter hours and table assignments over the years as well to attempt to limit this "problem"
I guess you can't foresee that your waiters are gonna make $90K if you put them in a place where people pack in at $30 a head for eggs and run out in a half an hour to go on rides, huh? While the manager makes $33k on a 50 hour salary. (Oh dear...have I given away the secrets?)

The other thing is the "local" issue. Management has always dealt with locals with "necessary disdain "...they want them around when the planes aren't flying in to OIA packed with free spending tourists...but want them to go away the minute they're not needed. Locals never would spend at PI the way they wanted them to...it's orlando (big and poor) and they could never afford it. There was some blame linked to "bad behavior" in this regard..but that's a smokescreen. There were relatively few incidents...and anytime you mix a chemical compound of alcohol, estrogen , and testosterone...there will be the occasional firework anyway.
But the reality is that they probably feel they'll get more pound for pound out of a banana republic and an apple store from locals/Florida residents than they ever did out of the adventurers club.

They are probably right.

Just a couple of thoughts.

PI lost its champion when Eisner was shown the gate and his parkhopper was seized. He always pushed ( and rightly so) that there was nothing wrong with adult entertainment options too if structured properly... It's part of the condition and doesn't have to be always a giftshop
And a character meet and greet.
But park operations appear to be more and more run by a select group
Of people...and those people are 25 year old green Wharton MBAs and factory managers who make pins and vinylmations outside of Shanghai
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #1519
noreinsguy
One Can Never Have Enough Disney Magic!!!!

Nothing new but here are some Disney Springs Info Links:

On March 14, 2013, Walt Disney World announced a multi-year transformation of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs. This video shows the model of the new Disney Springs that was displayed at the D23 Expo in the Journey Into Imagineering pavilion.

The sections of Disney Springs will be The Town Center, The Landing, The Marketplace and the West Side.

Announcement link:
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/0...opping-dining/

Disney Springs Model Youtube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e61b4h2CZfw

"Start of construction of Disney Springs parking garages means the end of the road for WDW's Pleasure Island nightclub complex" ~ Jim Hill Media

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_ch...b-complex.aspx
Old 11-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #1520
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Disney has constructed a "causeway" around half of Pleasure Island. It is designed to carry pedestrian traffic between the West Side and Marketplace around the western part of PI. In the near future when heavy demolition and construction begins to take place in the area where BET Soundstage and Adventurers Club stand, pedestrians will have to use the causeway to travel around the Island instead of through it. For the moment use of the causeway is optional.

The causeway opened for use today and it contains a number of pieces of Disney Springs concept art along its walls. Here's the link to some of them:
http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.c...ncept-art.html

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #1521
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

If you've not been to Downtown Disney in awhile you may not be aware of the parking problem that's developed out there due to the closure of 4 lots to build a new parking garage. While there is plenty of parking back behind Cirque and House of Blues during off-peak times, parking in the remaining lots can become next to impossible at peak times leading to gridlock. Well apparently some of the 3rd party businesses out there are quite upset about it:

http://www.savepleasureisland.blogsp...set-about.html

BobK/Orlando
Old 12-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #1522
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Fans of the Adventurers Club may be interested to hear that the Jekyll and Hyde Club (from NYC) is rumoured to be coming to Universal Citywalk.

Supposedly construction is already well underway.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #1523
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Fans of the Adventurers Club may be interested to hear that the Jekyll and Hyde Club (from NYC) is rumoured to be coming to Universal Citywalk.

Supposedly construction is already well underway.
I can't find anything about this, even as a rumor...and if construction is under way, I would expect something about it...

Although interesting, their overall record with the places seems to be poor. The first Club closed in 2012, as well as several other attempts to open in other locations.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #1524
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

http://www.screamscape.com/html/univ...o.htm#Citywalk here ya go for link.

I agree its always has sounded like a very poor copy of the Adventurers Club, but maybe with a little help from Universal they'll get it right this time.

Still only a rumour, but screamscape seems to think something will be announced in this coming week.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #1525
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree its always has sounded like a very poor copy of the Adventurers Club, but maybe with a little help from Universal they'll get it right this time.

Still only a rumour, but screamscape seems to think something will be announced in this coming week.
Keep in mind that Screamscape is an aggregator of rumors. They post rumors that they come across or that are provided to them. Just because they post something does not mean it's for real.

BobK/Orlando
Old 12-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #1526
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:

From how it reads it sounds like someone making a leap of logic based on the supposed exterior and no other info.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 02-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #1527
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Fans of the Adventurers Club may be interested to hear that the Jekyll and Hyde Club (from NYC) is rumoured to be coming to Universal Citywalk. Supposedly construction is already well underway.
Well this rumor quickly died when the building in CityWalk opened as a Mexican restaurant, just as it had been advertised.

BobK/Orlando
Old 02-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #1528
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
Well this rumor quickly died when the building in CityWalk opened as a Mexican restaurant, just as it had been advertised.

BobK/Orlando
Not to mention it ended up looking nothing like what was described...

Old 02-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #1529
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I would have been excited to go to a Jekyl and Hyde Club. We had one in the DFW area for a while and it was a hoot.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: