Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

About the Moms Panel, I totally believe the Lord has plans with everything, might have been the timing of the whole thing.

I won't believe I'm going to the VGF until I'm on the plane. It's been a lifelong dream of mine to stay there. Very very excited

I'm so glad this trip is happening for you guys, what wonderful family time!

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I love your prospect of a consolation DL trip! What a great way to spend the holiday time.

There's nothing like snow on Main Street during that time of the year!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
About the Moms Panel, I totally believe the Lord has plans with everything, might have been the timing of the whole thing.

I won't believe I'm going to the VGF until I'm on the plane. It's been a lifelong dream of mine to stay there. Very very excited

I'm so glad this trip is happening for you guys, what wonderful family time!

I agree. Had I made it, we would not be doing a holiday family trip this year. We think alike. It all works out how it's supposed to.

I'm so excited for you. I've been lurking in the DVC section and the pics I've seen are beautiful. What a fantastic addition to our choice of DVC resorts.

Me too. We always have such a blast and every trip is so different. I think that's part of what people miss when they ask why we are always going to Disney. Each trip has a general familiarity but also varies in lots of areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
I love your prospect of a consolation DL trip! What a great way to spend the holiday time.

There's nothing like snow on Main Street during that time of the year!

Thank you for joining in. Snow on Main St is my very favorite. I had tears streaming down my face the first time I experienced the Disneyland snow. We live in Utah and I know our slogan is The Best Snow on Earth but I think even disney has us beat.

It's the best consolation gift ever. Part of the fun for me is planning and anticipating with friends and family.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Last edited by rentayenta; 11-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Loved the movie so I'm guessing the live show is even better. Mel Brooks is great. Funny we were just talking about ratings and what was R years ago would be PG13 or maybe even PG now. Where was the show? You ladies are always on the go go go. I was out of my robe for a total of 5 hours yesterday.

Sounds like a great evening.
It was at the Carpenter Center, real close to the new house.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
rentayenta

to all those who are reading along and a special thank you to those who post. I really enjoy sharing and planning with everyone. Reading other’s reports are so much fun and I like seeing the parks through a different set of eyes and experiences.

I talked about dates earlier and wanted to share that we had two sets of dates to choose from.

Option 1: Dec 18-24
Option 2: Dec 25-31

Both are 7 days and both would have worked. Both sets also have pros and cons. Either way DH would have to fly out earlier than us and we’re driving home a few days later.

Dec 18-24 looks like this. We all drive out the 18th, do the parks the 19th and 20th, DTD the 21st, and DH flies home that evening. The 22nd and 23rd will be beach/fun/So Cal days and we’ll drive home 12/24. DH works at the FD on 12/24 and will be home from work at 8 am Christmas morning.

Dec 25-31 looks like this. We all drive out Christmas Day, do the parks the 26th and 27th, DTD the 28th and DH would fly out that evening. The kids and I would have our beach/fun/So Cal days on the 29th and 30th. We’d drive home the 31st.

Both options are viable but there are a few reasons Option 1 works better and is the one we chose. I love it when a plans comes together.

Both plans have Michael getting off shift and requiring we hop in the already packed car. The pro to not leaving Christmas Day is we can relax, enjoy the day, and DH will make a yummy turkey dinner. If you’ve read my other reports or are my FB friend, you know Michael is an amazing cook.

Score: 1/0 Option 1.

The week between Christmas and New Year’s is the busiest week of the year at the Parks.

Score: 2/0 Option 1.

We could have had the kids open the trip up as their Christmas gift in Option 2.

Score: 2/1 Option 2.

Realistically , we’ll still buy the kids a bunch of souvenirs.

Score 2/1 Wash.

If by chance the weather looks bad, which is a real possibility, leaving So Cal and having to stay the night in Vegas on 12/24 is far more appealing then on 12/31. The cost of hotel room and the crowds both scare me. If the weather looks bad though, we’ll leave a day earlier if necessary.

Score 3/1 Option 1.

My friend who we’ll be staying with during the non-Disney part (and maybe the Disney part, still working on the details) is leaving for out of town 12/28. While we could still stay at her house, I want to spend some time with her. Option 2 doesn’t allow for that.

Score 4/1 Option 1.

We usually spend Christmas Eve with my in-laws. I adore my in-laws, they are wonderful people. Driving home 12/24 won’t allow us to spend the evening with them but will allow us to be with them Christmas Day in our home. If we leave Christmas Day we wouldn’t see them at all on the 25th and in reality only see them for a short while on 12/24 because I’ll need to be packing the car etc. Its close to being a tie but I’m giving the point to Option 1. Love fuzzy Disney thinking.

Score 5/1 Option 1.

Kenneling the dogs. I’m not doing it this year. I am having Michael ask his folks if they’ll keep them while we are gone. The kennel we use is amazing but closed on Sundays, holidays, and only open until noon on Saturday. Option 1 has us paying for the dogs to be kenneled for 7 days which adds up to $210. Option 2 has them being kenneled for 8 days which is $240. Both are bad but if Michael’s folks won’t keep them, Option 1 costs less.

Score 6/1 Option 1.

Holiday fun and festivities. Option 1 will force me to be finished, wrapped, and delivered by 12/17. I help organize a holiday gift drive for kids in the DCFS system. We usually have the hardest push the week before Christmas for kids who are pulled the days leading up to Christmas; they are removed from their home but not in a foster home yet. They are in limbo and often forgotten during the holidays. I will have to make sure someone will take care those last fews days and children who enter the system. Every child deserves a Christmas. Option 2 doesn’t have any abnormal time constraints.

Score 6/2 Option 2.

The kids will have to miss 2 days of school. They are doing amazing this year and have done so well. It's near the end end of the term which is good. The term ends in mid January so they'll be able to make anything up. This is a BIG con though for Option 1. It's worth 2 points.

Score 6/4 Option 2.

Michael is off New Year's Eve and Day and we're looking into a night on the town; dinner and dancing sans kids.

Score 7/4 Option 1.

The above reasoning and rationale made Option 1 the winner. So officially our dates for the trip are Dec.18-24.

While I haven’t got all of details ironed out, like where we’ll sleep on park days I do have a loose itinerary. We’ll have 7 glorious days and even though 2 of them will be spent driving, it’s totally worth it.

Up next: our loosey goosey itinerary.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
It was at the Carpenter Center, real close to the new house.

Awesome! Michael asked me where the new house is and I am thinking near Park Estates or Bixby Knolls? Love the LBC.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #22
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I'm here! Sorry about the Mom's Panel but yay for a consolation trip! I'm so excited for you!

Jill in CO
Old 11-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #23
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I'm here! Sorry about the Mom's Panel but yay for a consolation trip! I'm so excited for you! Jill in CO
Jill! Thanks for checking in. I'm silly happy about this trip. It'll be a whirlwind with lots of driving. Thank goodness I just got new tires. It snowed like crazy yesterday. Did you get any snow?

It's okay about the panel. I think Pam is right, everything happens for a reason and with Michael traveling so much, we need a trip together far more than I need one by myself. It's not my year and I'm totally good with that. I'm excited to see who makes it and am following their journey on FB.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #24
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I don't know about snow! I was in Kansas City all weekend and no snow when I got home tonight.

Jill in CO
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #25
franandaj

Quote:
Awesome! Michael asked me where the new house is and I am thinking near Park Estates or Bixby Knolls? Love the LBC.
It's in Park Estates. We considered a place in Bixby Knolls, but (and this is silly), there was no Ralph's anywhere nearby. This was a serious problem! We ended up with the place in Park Estates even if it backs up to Bellflower Blvd.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 11-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #26
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

You went and started a new PTR. Glad I found it.

Sorry about the Mom's Panel.

Looking forward to the next update; and to see how you and Alison coordinate time together. Just remember.....contrary to your belief, Olga's wing of the house is MINE!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #27
rentayenta

Before I reply, I have to say that one of our wait list nights at the GCV came through! I put the wait list in on Saturday evening and I am truly shocked! I am hoping our second night comes through but even just a night will give us access to the hotel/pool for both of our park days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I don't know about snow! I was in Kansas City all weekend and no snow when I got home tonight.

Jill in CO

How did your Chiefs do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
It's in Park Estates. We considered a place in Bixby Knolls, but (and this is silly), there was no Ralph's anywhere nearby. This was a serious problem! We ended up with the place in Park Estates even if it backs up to Bellflower Blvd.

Love Ralph's. You're going to live there the rest of your lives I am guessing so stuff like that doesn't sound silly at all. Park Estates is a great area. I once dated a guy from Park Estates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
You went and started a new PTR. Glad I found it.

Sorry about the Mom's Panel.

Looking forward to the next update; and to see how you and Alison coordinate time together. Just remember.....contrary to your belief, Olga's wing of the house is MINE!

Glad to have you PIO. I couldn't help but start a new one. :Blush: There just isn't much cruise news to report right now and this trip is so close.

I think there's room in Olga's wing for the three of us. I'm small, I don't take up much space.

Thanks for the good thoughts on the Mom's Panel. With part of my wait list coming through, I'm even more positive that other wonderful things were meant to be.

We'll have 2 park days and then play days so really, whatever works for Alison.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #28
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Checking in. I am so happy that you get to go on this trip.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #29
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
Checking in. I am so happy that you get to go on this trip.

Corinna

Thanks Corinna. and We really need this trip with Michael traveling so much.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
franandaj

Quote:

I think there's room in Olga's wing for the three of us. I'm small, I don't take up much space.

We'll have 2 park days and then play days so really, whatever works for Alison.
Olga will only have a Queen size bed. The room is pretty small!

I don't think you've posted your days yet, but we are having dinner out there on the 20th, so we will be out there. Also just about any day will be fine for me. Unless Fran has an ulterior plan for moving that I don't know about. She's usually good about letting me have time with my DIS friends.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: