Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #556
Redwavess
Mallory's Magical Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on planning out our trip. My husband and I just sat down to look over all the different rides, attractions, restaurants, etc. We're beyond overwhelmed. I know it's not possible to see everything in the time we have, so we want to focus on what we think the kids will enjoy the most. I'm more of a go with the flow kind of person and the thought of creating an itinerary/plan of action is driving me nuts, but I know we don't it will be mass chaos with full blown temper tantrums and melt-downs from all 3 kids and an overwhelmed momma.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is our first family trip to a theme park and the last time I was at Disney World was 20 years ago.

Thanks!

My advice would be talk with each of the people in your family and ask them what are their must do attractions. As you said there is no way you can do it all so you will need to focus on what's most important for you all. For example we love animals as a family so we didn't want to miss animal attractions. Also, we live by Disneyland so we skipped all the rides that we had already ridden on... which were tons!!!

Think about your family favorites. Check park maps and make a plan from there. Have fun with it!!!

I hope that helps,

Madeline

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2602026 Mallory Makes a Magical Wish! -- UPDATE -- I wish for... Rudolph!? pg. 4 Post #46

Redwavess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #557
Redwavess
Mallory's Magical Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiesquidge View Post
Hi everyone,

I hope you don't mind me posting here as I'm not a wish tripper?

My husband is a professional photographer and has just found out he has been selected to accompany a group of seriously ill children and their families on a trip to Florida from here in the UK. He really wants to do his best to document this trip for the families and to give them photos to treasure.

If any of you have the time could you let us know what sort of photos might mean the most to families? Or any other tips you have so that he can make this as special as possible and give these families some much needed ixiedust:

Thank you for any help you can give and I hope you all have wonderful wish trips
That is awesome that you husband is able to do that and very nice of him to try and capture the most magical memories.

My advice would be:

1) Characters, Characters, Characters!!! - Some of my favorite pictures are pictures with my daughter during the character interactions. I would suggest that your husband always keep an eye out. Often the cutest pictures are right as they are meeting the characters and before they pose. I've seen kids jump for joy, smile with glee, hug the characters and my own son kissed Mickey right on his nose!!! It was cute but the cameras were not ready to capture it. So be ready during character interactions to capture the surprise and wonder of it all!!

2) Candid family shots or Candid shots of brothers and sisters with the theme park in the background!!! These are some of the funniest shots I have. For example, my son 16 was searching the map with his little sister 6 it is the cutest shot!!! Siblings holding hands, being carried on big brothers shoulders are super adorable too!!

3) And of course the whole family with castle or other Disney landmark in the background is a must have!!!

Give you husband a great big thank you for me!!!

I hope this helps,

Madeline

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2602026 Mallory Makes a Magical Wish! -- UPDATE -- I wish for... Rudolph!? pg. 4 Post #46

Redwavess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #558
gertiesquidge
Mouseketeer

Hi Madeline,

Thank you so much for your suggestions, that is just the sort of insight my husband was looking for

Family friends lost their little one to cancer last year, so he has seen how precious these pictures can be, and wants to do the very best he can for all the families he will be travelling with.

Thank you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwavess View Post
That is awesome that you husband is able to do that and very nice of him to try and capture the most magical memories.

My advice would be:

1) Characters, Characters, Characters!!! - Some of my favorite pictures are pictures with my daughter during the character interactions. I would suggest that your husband always keep an eye out. Often the cutest pictures are right as they are meeting the characters and before they pose. I've seen kids jump for joy, smile with glee, hug the characters and my own son kissed Mickey right on his nose!!! It was cute but the cameras were not ready to capture it. So be ready during character interactions to capture the surprise and wonder of it all!!

2) Candid family shots or Candid shots of brothers and sisters with the theme park in the background!!! These are some of the funniest shots I have. For example, my son 16 was searching the map with his little sister 6 it is the cutest shot!!! Siblings holding hands, being carried on big brothers shoulders are super adorable too!!

3) And of course the whole family with castle or other Disney landmark in the background is a must have!!!

Give you husband a great big thank you for me!!!

I hope this helps,

Madeline
gertiesquidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #559
terratalking
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiesquidge View Post
Hi everyone,

I hope you don't mind me posting here as I'm not a wish tripper?

My husband is a professional photographer and has just found out he has been selected to accompany a group of seriously ill children and their families on a trip to Florida from here in the UK. He really wants to do his best to document this trip for the families and to give them photos to treasure.

If any of you have the time could you let us know what sort of photos might mean the most to families? Or any other tips you have so that he can make this as special as possible and give these families some much needed ixiedust:

Thank you for any help you can give and I hope you all have wonderful wish trips
Echoing everything Madeline already said - I would add in the two cents that while most people think a photographer is there to capture the "posed" moments, what I would encourage your husband to also seek out is more of the photojournalistic opportunities.
Photograph the large amount of medical supplies some families must lug around to the parks with them. document the weariness on the faces of the moms just getting out the door of the hotel, hoping desperately for a few good minutes for their child at the park, praying that all of the chaos of the past hour of packing/giving meds/double checking bags is worth it with one huge smile on their child's face.
Be there to capture the look of joy on the childs face when they first glimpse the castle on the monorail ride in.
Be there to capture the absolute MAGIC that happens when that sick child rolls through the gates into the happiest place on earth, and watch the transformation come over them as they forget their pains/illnesses/struggles for that one day.

I say all of this because this is what happened for my daughter last January when we took her. We only could afford two days in the park - but I tell you those two days were absolutely magical for her. I had to fight very hard to get her out of the hospital four days before we left, and i spent those four days at home packing medical supplies and stressing over everything - but seeing the absolute amazement on her face, and getting to see her meet Cinderella, her hero, oh my gosh it was all so worth it! As a photographer myself, I had set my husband up at one angle, my MIL at another, and then the photopass photog was ready to go at her spot - and i cherish every single one of the 90+ pics that got taken in that moment. I only have one picture though, of ten minutes before going into the princess room, where she was having a very rough time, very nauseated, trying to catheterize her in line, get her heart rate calmed down, help her wait just a few more minutes to see her princess. But seeing the contrast in those pictures makes me know that place is SO full of magic.
Sorry this is long winded - but I hope your husband is able to help capture the whole story for these families. It is not easy to take a very ill child to disney. It's not easy to take them on a quick trip to the grocery store most days!
But the magic of disney is everywhere. Let the photopass photogs capture the posed images - let him be the fly on the wall capturing the rest of the story!

I wish him the best of luck - what an awesome opportunity for both him AND the families he gets to document!

terra

To read more about Kendall's story - check out her Facebook Page
Hope for Kendall
Or read more on my blog: Terra Talking

Kendall's MAW trip PTR - "Part of Her World"
terratalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #560
4pmama
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by terratalking View Post
Echoing everything Madeline already said - I would add in the two cents that while most people think a photographer is there to capture the "posed" moments, what I would encourage your husband to also seek out is more of the photojournalistic opportunities. Photograph the large amount of medical supplies some families must lug around to the parks with them. document the weariness on the faces of the moms just getting out the door of the hotel, hoping desperately for a few good minutes for their child at the park, praying that all of the chaos of the past hour of packing/giving meds/double checking bags is worth it with one huge smile on their child's face. Be there to capture the look of joy on the childs face when they first glimpse the castle on the monorail ride in. Be there to capture the absolute MAGIC that happens when that sick child rolls through the gates into the happiest place on earth, and watch the transformation come over them as they forget their pains/illnesses/struggles for that one day. I say all of this because this is what happened for my daughter last January when we took her. We only could afford two days in the park - but I tell you those two days were absolutely magical for her. I had to fight very hard to get her out of the hospital four days before we left, and i spent those four days at home packing medical supplies and stressing over everything - but seeing the absolute amazement on her face, and getting to see her meet Cinderella, her hero, oh my gosh it was all so worth it! As a photographer myself, I had set my husband up at one angle, my MIL at another, and then the photopass photog was ready to go at her spot - and i cherish every single one of the 90+ pics that got taken in that moment. I only have one picture though, of ten minutes before going into the princess room, where she was having a very rough time, very nauseated, trying to catheterize her in line, get her heart rate calmed down, help her wait just a few more minutes to see her princess. But seeing the contrast in those pictures makes me know that place is SO full of magic. Sorry this is long winded - but I hope your husband is able to help capture the whole story for these families. It is not easy to take a very ill child to disney. It's not easy to take them on a quick trip to the grocery store most days! But the magic of disney is everywhere. Let the photopass photogs capture the posed images - let him be the fly on the wall capturing the rest of the story! I wish him the best of luck - what an awesome opportunity for both him AND the families he gets to document! terra
Just have to say, that ^^ was lovely, and I'm in tears from picturing some of these moments, for other families, and for my own. Thank you for these special insights.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"] http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3134773 MAW Family! Caitlin Jeremy Ramona (4p-/Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome-WISH KID!) and Ezra (Ramona's wild baby bro) Going to WDW November 2013!
4pmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #561
gertiesquidge
Mouseketeer

Hi Terra,

Thank you so much for your suggestions My husband's photography style to capture the candid moments, but I don't think he would have thought to get the tired/stressed looks! But you are right that really will show the magic Disney sprinkles when the families compare those pictures with those of the children meeting the characters/riding a ride/watching a parade

Thank you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by terratalking View Post
Echoing everything Madeline already said - I would add in the two cents that while most people think a photographer is there to capture the "posed" moments, what I would encourage your husband to also seek out is more of the photojournalistic opportunities.
Photograph the large amount of medical supplies some families must lug around to the parks with them. document the weariness on the faces of the moms just getting out the door of the hotel, hoping desperately for a few good minutes for their child at the park, praying that all of the chaos of the past hour of packing/giving meds/double checking bags is worth it with one huge smile on their child's face.
Be there to capture the look of joy on the childs face when they first glimpse the castle on the monorail ride in.
Be there to capture the absolute MAGIC that happens when that sick child rolls through the gates into the happiest place on earth, and watch the transformation come over them as they forget their pains/illnesses/struggles for that one day.

I say all of this because this is what happened for my daughter last January when we took her. We only could afford two days in the park - but I tell you those two days were absolutely magical for her. I had to fight very hard to get her out of the hospital four days before we left, and i spent those four days at home packing medical supplies and stressing over everything - but seeing the absolute amazement on her face, and getting to see her meet Cinderella, her hero, oh my gosh it was all so worth it! As a photographer myself, I had set my husband up at one angle, my MIL at another, and then the photopass photog was ready to go at her spot - and i cherish every single one of the 90+ pics that got taken in that moment. I only have one picture though, of ten minutes before going into the princess room, where she was having a very rough time, very nauseated, trying to catheterize her in line, get her heart rate calmed down, help her wait just a few more minutes to see her princess. But seeing the contrast in those pictures makes me know that place is SO full of magic.
Sorry this is long winded - but I hope your husband is able to help capture the whole story for these families. It is not easy to take a very ill child to disney. It's not easy to take them on a quick trip to the grocery store most days!
But the magic of disney is everywhere. Let the photopass photogs capture the posed images - let him be the fly on the wall capturing the rest of the story!

I wish him the best of luck - what an awesome opportunity for both him AND the families he gets to document!

terra
gertiesquidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #562
disney*mom*82
DIS Veteran

Hello! I have some questions for MAW families. We recently brought home our 4.5 year old son from China. He is an awesome kiddo. He was recently diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. It seems pretty mild, but it does cause him every day issues that will be lifelong. He is able to walk but had a leg brace custom made recently, which he is really struggling with. Anyways... he has had an obsession with Mickey and friends since I met him in China. (First sign he was ours!) He just went crazy over a WDW commercial last week and I think he would LOVE WDW. His physical therapist mentioned he might be eligible for MAW. Im not familiar with their guidelines. Does anyone know if he would fall under their criteria? I would love to hear back from some of you, Ide hate to bother MAW with our request if he doesn't qualify. Thank you!

Mar 99-WLC; Dec/Jan-01/02-ASM;Mar 08,Mar 09, Sept 09, Mar 10, Dec 10, July 11 Mar 12 POR, July 12 OKW, March 14 WBC, Dec/Jan 2014/15 POR
disney*mom*82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #563
kritter47
Mouseketeer

Talk to your medical providers about eligibility for MaW. The criteria is "life-threatening medical condition" with some specific medical eligibility forms sent out to doctors outlining more specific criteria. The doctors are actually the ones with the final power over eligibility, though I don't know the specific instructions they are given.
kritter47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #564
dawnp15
Earning My Ears

Hi! I'm brand new here and feeling really overwhelmed

Our DD2 who just turned 5 had been approved for a wish through a local wish foundation. We have our meeting with our "wish wizards" coming up soon to make the final 3 wish choices. Her #1 choice is Disney of course and really we are all really excited this may actually come true for her.

I know nothing about Disney...idk what attractions there all are, how to set everything up for meeting characters, or dinners, or anything I've been trying to read on here as much as i can with my free time, which has helped some. I guess once i know her wish has been approved, i know when we are going ect...that will help me with planning...right lol??
dawnp15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #565
icecreamforbreakfast
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnp15 View Post
Hi! I'm brand new here and feeling really overwhelmed

Our DD2 who just turned 5 had been approved for a wish through a local wish foundation. We have our meeting with our "wish wizards" coming up soon to make the final 3 wish choices. Her #1 choice is Disney of course and really we are all really excited this may actually come true for her.

I know nothing about Disney...idk what attractions there all are, how to set everything up for meeting characters, or dinners, or anything I've been trying to read on here as much as i can with my free time, which has helped some. I guess once i know her wish has been approved, i know when we are going ect...that will help me with planning...right lol??
You've come to the right place to learn if you are staying at Give Kids the World some characters come there to meet. At the parks you will be given front of the line privileges to meet characters. I don't know how to book meals in the parks as we've never done it, but I'm sure there are many others on here that can help you with that. As for not knowing about attractions etc... when we went on our son's wish trip, we spent very little time in the parks as he was not well. We still had a fabulous time enjoying the rides we did get on and shows we watched. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't stress out trying to figure out it ALL so you can do EVERYTHING, instead enjoy finding out what you can ahead of time and then just relax and go have an amazing time. There will probably be some that think I'm nuts offering that advice, but that's my opinion on how to deal with it without feeling entirely overwhelmed before going and then disappointed that you didn't do everything while on your trip!

Have fun planning!

Yes, we had icecream for breakfast ... more then once!!! Joey's Wish Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2631198
icecreamforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #566
disneybirthday
Earning My Ears

Smile Wish Time!!!!

The time has come!!!!!! Its Wish Day!! We are headed to DIsney today for Sydneys wish trip!!! Super excited to see Mickey!!!
Thank you to everyone who provided great tips and info for this trip for us!!! Hope that we will be able to bring back a great trip report!
disneybirthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #567
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybirthday View Post
The time has come!!!!!! Its Wish Day!! We are headed to DIsney today for Sydneys wish trip!!! Super excited to see Mickey!!! Thank you to everyone who provided great tips and info for this trip for us!!! Hope that we will be able to bring back a great trip report!
Wishing you a magical trip!!!

Jackie

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 7 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 4 Kara DD 4
Lilfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #568
nesser1981
DIS Veteran

Haven't stopped by in awhile, just wanted to say hi to all the new wish families! I think about our trip all the time, almost 2 years later it was still one of the most amazing things we've done!

Hope you're getting lots of great information here.

Keira's MAW PTR

Keira's MAW TR

2001, Disney Sea 2002, Animal Kingdom 2002, MK 2010, GKTW MAW 2012
nesser1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #569
uwquigman
Earning My Ears

Wow it's finally time to leave!

Can't believe we are leaving tomorrow AM for our Wish. Long flight from Cali with a 20 month old and a 4 year old wish kid but sooooooo loooking forward to this. Hopefully it doesn't rain and we get great weather. Will try to post a trip report with photos this time (darn photo bucket).

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for all the tips and tricks. Gonna be a magical (well paced and not overloaded with too much) week.

Take care!
uwquigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #570
4pmama
Earning My Ears

We will be there on Monday night! Yay! Have an amazing time, and maybe we will see you there!
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"] http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3134773 MAW Family! Caitlin Jeremy Ramona (4p-/Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome-WISH KID!) and Ezra (Ramona's wild baby bro) Going to WDW November 2013!
4pmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: