Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #61
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob

Except enjoying a relaxing, cool dip in the swimming pool at the resort instead of waiting in long lines during the heat of the day!
Amen! This will be us on Saturday thru next Sunday!

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII using the DISBoards app

"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."

Last edited by skriegerjr; 10-31-2013 at 06:20 PM.
skriegerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #62
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisblue View Post
Back then- very few, if any, scooters riding over your heels.
Fewer older travelers. Fewer disabled travelers.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #63
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDisneyKid View Post
Then= no FP's no GAC's no single rider lines etc, everything was fair game, NOW=........
As long as you weren't disabled you mean. If you weren't disabled it was fair. So pretty much not...
Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #64
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

No preteen boys in the restrooms. Only babies and toddlers in strollers.

Haagen das ice cream cups sitting on the curb waiting for elp.

Epcot was educational and perfect.

Better, more original merchandise. And you could pretty much only get it at dl or wdw.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #65
NYDisneyKid
Expedition Everest Record Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
As long as you weren't disabled you mean. If you weren't disabled it was fair. So pretty much not...
No,,,Even disabled had to use regular lines
Old 10-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #66
kathy884
DIS Veteran

We started going in 1971, the year the park opened when I was 11. With just one park and Sea World (which at that time was just a little place, not a world class marine mammal / aquarium facility), the main attraction was the sun and recreational activities at a resort: swimming, tennis, mini golf, par three golf, bingo nights, and potlucks. We'd camp in our motorhome at Outdoor Resorts of America. We'd do a week for spring break, a week at Thanksgiving, and a two week trip over Christmas and hit the Magic Kingdom twice in a trip plus visit the Disney resorts one or two times too, always eating at the Polynesian. Oh did I love to be able to just walk up and get seated for table service at the restaurant that is now Ohana or go to the South Seas dining room and maybe wait 15 minutes max high season. Oh and to this day I still miss this, Polynesian counter service at coconut hot dogs to dies for. Just typing this makes me crave one. They were so good. I don't know why they ever got rid of them. The counter service there now is horrible. Rather than Downtown Disney there was this Lake Buena Vista shopping area with lots of unique things you couldn't get anywhere else. We'd mostly just window shop And the resorts had way more shopping than they do now: I'd always buy tennis balls with the Mickey ear logo. They had lots of really nice clothes at the Polynesian and Contemporary, and my mom would get some really nice things there. And Shades of Green was the Golf Resort. The Contemporary had this incredible game room to die for too. They had that electrical light parade on the water early in the 70s too. We camped at Fort Wilderness a few times also, and as a 15 year old it was so cool to be able to use Disney transportation on our own and meet mom and dad at a certain time at the theme park. Wet and Wild opened in the mid 70s too and we thought that place was soooo cool. Later River Country opened also and we'd hit both. // Anyway that's my recollection of many early to mid 70s trips to the world, my family's favorite place to vacation back then. Epcot didn't open till the 80s and I did more trip in the 70s than any other decade since then. Last month was my 34th trip to Orlando over a 43 year period.

I've never gotten into doing a theme park every day unless I'm just there for two days, but maybe that's because of the way we traveled back in the 70s with resort time being such a huge part of the vacation.
kathy884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #67
Tink575
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonfiber07 View Post
Was Circus World before B&B.
Yes it was! We were to both. At Circus World they had a place where kids could walk a tightrope, not too high off the floor, and they had safety harnesses. Our daughter thought that was so cool.

Next visit hopefully in Sept. 2014
Offsite 1975; Offsite 1986; 30? other trips; 2006 - Present: Part-time resident
Tink575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #68
wisblue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob View Post

Except enjoying a relaxing, cool dip in the swimming pool at the resort instead of waiting in long lines during the heat of the day!
That's what we have always done and it had nothing to do with FPs. It was a matter of getting to the parks early and covering attractions before the lines get long.

During a busy time you couldn't collect and save too many FPs if you leave the park shortly after noon.

Last edited by wisblue; 10-31-2013 at 08:14 PM.
wisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #69
kelowatt
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
^^^THIS

I vividly remember standing there with my Parents as my father video conferenced with the cast member making our dining reservations for a World Showcase Restaurant.
OMG. I remember those! and those weird flight attendant of the future uniforms everyone wore

1976: Fort Wilderness, 1980: Fort Wilderness, 1983: Fort Wilderness, 1986: Polynesian, 1988: Caribbean Beach, 1990: Off property for Magic Music Days, 1991: Disneyland off property for Magic Music Days, 1993: off property for Magic Music Days, 1999: All Star Music, 2005: All Star Sports, 2008: Pop Century, 2013: Art of Animation, Nemo

Trip Report:
Christmas before Thanksgiving...why not? AoA, MVMCP, BoG, FP+ and MORE! (in progress)

2013 Trip Report
kelowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #70
cfw213
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofanarchy View Post
Universal is MUCH less stressful than WDW in terms of planning, and we make no ADR's, but this is only true if staying on site. If staying off-site and going to Universal, a bit of planning would be involved. Universal just makes it so easy for it's resort guests. That's why we spend half our vacation there every year now.
It's not that they make it "easier for their guests". It's just not as popular. Not as popular resorts, dining, etc. No fastpasses even offered unless you're staying at the resort...it's a product of the visitors that you have to make ADRs 6 months in advance for popular restaurants. Disney doesn't force you to...

September 2012 TR - COMPLETE- Are you Push?? Our sister trip around the World - A September 2012 TR
October 2013 TR - IN PROGRESS- Where are we going? What are we doing? An engagement/anniversary extravaganza! - An Oct 2013 TR

cfw213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #71
mollygirl13
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheaton View Post
That sounds very similar to the way our trips have been. I don't have anything against people who focus on ADRs and table-service for the trip. It's just interesting to note how stressed it makes a lot of people.
I agree about the stress ^^^

I am one of those "Disney-obsessed planners" In the past, I have really enjoyed sitting at my computer, Disney music playing in the background and planning our days. But I can tell you my trip 2 weeks ago was no fun to plan.

It was very difficult for me to decide on FP+ AND making my ADR's coincide PLUS hoping I was making the correct decision on WHEN my family would want to do either!
It was tough-especially when I made my ADR's way before picking out my FP+.

It just so happened on our EPCOT day and MK day our FP+ overlapped both our dinner and lunch ADR's (depending on what option I was given). It took me a while to get it all straightened out and I wasn't having fun anymore planning. It really was getting to the stressful point of "I am not planning anything anymore and we are all going to eat what is available!!"
mollygirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #72
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDisneyKid View Post
No,,,Even disabled had to use regular lines
Have you tried navigating peter pan's line in a wheelchair? Here is a reason they made laws to make the world accessible.

You'd probably rather those people just stay home...
Old 11-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #73
SunnyDey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink575 View Post
Yes it was! We were to both. At Circus World they had a place where kids could walk a tightrope, not too high off the floor, and they had safety harnesses. Our daughter thought that was so cool.
I remember getting my face painted like a clown at Circus World. My poor brother got his face painted, and the paint would not come off. My mom scrubbed his face raw trying to get that clown makeup off! We still have our souvenir drink cups with our clown picture on them.

SunnyDey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: