Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
hucifer
The tag that was here was staler than 3 yr old bread crumbs
The Van Halen song "Running with the Devil" was about my parakeet!
Smell anything? It's just my sauerkraut

Biking around the fort

Newbies to the Fort here.

We're too cheap to rent golf carts, so we plan on hoofing it around the fort on our bikes. Are there places to lock your bikes around the restaurants/pools/boat launch/etc? Or do people lock them around trees and stuff?
hucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
tinman694
Attention Space Travelers...

We always use the bikes (and trailers) to get around not only the fort, but almost everywhere we go camping. It is sensible if you can ride a bike. (Not Cheap by any means)
There are bike racks at most all the venues at the fort--never had a problem with parking the bikes around and leaving them (unlocked even!) in a designated parking area. Would not lock them to a tree or other non designated place.
I really like when we ride them down to the boat dock and when coming back from a long day we can cruise back to the campsite and not walk so far!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Conan the Librarian
Been Visting the Mouse since 1972

We are bringing our bikes this Christmas. We usually just walk everywhere, or catch a bus if there is one handy, but, we've gotten back into bikes and thought it would be fun.

Geek the Library! I Geek Astronomy!

s his

Before 2010 too many trips to count starting in 1972

2010 Feb (off site), May SSR, Oct HHI.
2011 May SSR, Oct HHI
2012 Feb (off site), May SSR
2013 Feb OKW, May SSR, Dec Ft. W

2004 POR-Pop Century(May),POR (Oct), Ft Wilderness(Dec) 2005 HH(Jan), way off site(Feb), POR-Polynesian(May), Carribbean Beach(Oct), POP (Nov for Three Dog Night), Ft Wilderness (Dec)

2006 HHI (Jan) Daytrip (Feb), BCV (Apr/May) HHI (Nov) Ft Wilderness (Dec)2007 HHI (Jan) Daytrip (Feb), BCV (Apr/May) HHI (Nov) Ft Wilderness (Dec)

2008 HHI (Jan), Daytrip (Feb), SS (May), BV? (Oct)
2009 POP(Feb)WLV (Mar), SSR(May), SSR(Sept), FtW (Dec), HHI?(Dec)
Conan the Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
hucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman694 View Post
There are bike racks at most all the venues at the fort--never had a problem with parking the bikes around and leaving them (unlocked even!) in a designated parking area.
Ah, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you!

Quote:
I really like when we ride them down to the boat dock and when coming back from a long day we can cruise back to the campsite and not walk so far!
I'm hoping that bikes will work out for us too.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
hucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan the Librarian View Post
We are bringing our bikes this Christmas. We usually just walk everywhere, or catch a bus if there is one handy, but, we've gotten back into bikes and thought it would be fun.
Come back and let us know how the bikes worked out for you guys!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We always use the bikes (and trailers) to get around not only the fort, but almost everywhere we go camping. It is sensible if you can ride a bike. (Not Cheap by any means)
There are bike racks at most all the venues at the fort--never had a problem with parking the bikes around and leaving them (unlocked even!) in a designated parking area. Would not lock them to a tree or other non designated place.
Ditto this! We don't generally lock going into the stores/arcade/pool/etc. But we do lock if we've ridden to catch a bus or boat to the parks since we're away longer. I guess that makes no sense since a thief doesn't know how long you've bene gone, but that's what we do.

And just biking around looping is fun to do too. If you don't have a basket or milk crate or something, you may want to get one or bring a backpack so you can carry stuff around like pool towels, treats from the store, etc.

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
PEC
DIS Veteran

Talking bikes, is there a bike trail or a trail that you can use between the campgrounds and Wilderness Lodge? We are planning this summer to have Dinner there one night and would like to just hop on the bikes.
PEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
hucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
And just biking around looping is fun to do too. If you don't have a basket or milk crate or something, you may want to get one or bring a backpack so you can carry stuff around like pool towels, treats from the store, etc.
Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC View Post
Talking bikes, is there a bike trail or a trail that you can use between the campgrounds and Wilderness Lodge? We are planning this summer to have Dinner there one night and would like to just hop on the bikes.
Yes, I understand that there is a trail from FW to WL. Can't verify this personally, but that's what I read.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
icon123
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC View Post
Yes, there is a trail that goes between FW and WL. We ride our bikes on it everytime we stay at the Fort. Lots of deer to see as well. Have fun.
icon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon123 View Post
Yes, there is a trail that goes between FW and WL. We ride our bikes on it everytime we stay at the Fort. Lots of deer to see as well. Have fun.
True. It is about a mile depending on your starting point at the Fort. And there are bike racks over at WL to park at as well

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
Heerrera
Earning My Ears

Can you do the trail from FW to WL in a golf cart? Is it allowd?
Heerrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:09 AM   #12
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heerrera View Post
Can you do the trail from FW to WL in a golf cart? Is it allowd?
Sadly, NO. The WDW POPO frown on this.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #13
Patsy1969
Mouseketeer

If you think you might be riding your bikes after dark, you may want to get lights. The walkways can be pretty dark, and it lets the golf carts see you. We use bikes when we are there in January, It is a great way to get around and enjoy the Fort. Have fun.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
hucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsy1969 View Post
If you think you might be riding your bikes after dark, you may want to get lights. The walkways can be pretty dark, and it lets the golf carts see you. We use bikes when we are there in January, It is a great way to get around and enjoy the Fort. Have fun.
I was wondering about this. Thank you so much for the hint!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
Mouse14
Wish I was at the Lodge

Have been riding bikes at the fort for yeeeeeears, I have never locked them up, even if we are going to a park or something. I do highly recommend front lights for your bikes

Dates i can remember....
Annual pass holder in Feb 2010

Wilderness lodge- (Feb 4,5,6 2010)(Feb 4,5,6 2011)
Caribbean Beach - (Mar 2010)
Saratoga Springs- (July 2010)
Coronado- (Aug2010)
Offsite for Not so scary Halloween party (Oct 2010)
Allstar Movies for Very Merry Christmas party (Dec2010)

POP for Vey Merry (Dec 2011)
Aulani for honeymoon (Feb 4-11 2012)
Mouse14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: