Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
jodiey
Mouseketeer
 
jodiey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 328

Southwest Grouping

I just checked in exactly 24 hours before our Southwest flight and got B31-B35. I'm traveling with a 2 year old and 4 month old so I was hoping to get a whole row across (and not near the bathrooms). I know I'll be able to go between the A and B group because of the young kids but I'm thinking since this is a dirct flight to Orlando that most people on this plane will also be flying with little kids. What do you think the odds are of actually getting a decent seat? This is why I hate Southwest and never travel with them. We usually fly Jetblue but because they only have 1 flight a day and the flight home was real late at night I had no choice but to switch to SW.
jodiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
pamjb
DIS Veteran
 
pamjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Center Valley, PA
Posts: 3,012

Because you are flying with an infant, you will board after the A's. You easily be able to get seats together. They will not be in the front of the plane, more than likely after the exit rows. I flew solo from Orlando in Ocotber. I also got a B boarding pass. My only request for a seat was a window so I could prop my head to sleep. Didn't think my seat mate would appreciate it if I was somewhere other than a window. I was about 8 rows from the back of the plane, and that was after any families with children under 5
__________________
Pam in PA (Pam) (Alex-24) (Nick-19)
pamjb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 46,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiey View Post
I just checked in exactly 24 hours before our Southwest flight and got B31-B35. I'm traveling with a 2 year old and 4 month old so I was hoping to get a whole row across (and not near the bathrooms). I know I'll be able to go between the A and B group because of the young kids but I'm thinking since this is a dirct flight to Orlando that most people on this plane will also be flying with little kids. What do you think the odds are of actually getting a decent seat? This is why I hate Southwest and never travel with them. We usually fly Jetblue but because they only have 1 flight a day and the flight home was real late at night I had no choice but to switch to SW.
If you want a whole row across, you will probably be in the back half of the plane.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
pooch
I feel so special now!!
 
pooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: enfield, ct
Posts: 3,382

is the 4 month old

a lap baby and/or will you be using car seat(s) on the plane? Car seats have to go in the window seat and, if the baby is a lap baby, you may not be able to have a whole row to yourself as you'll only have 2 seats reserved.

And don't assume most people will be flying with kids. I regularly fly to Orlando without kids and people do fly into that airport for reasons other than Disney!! Don't worry, you'll be fine.
__________________
POOCH
4/84 Off Site, 10/89 CBR, 9/99 DxL, 8/06 WL, 9/07 Pop, 9/08 POFQ, 9/09 Pop, 9/10 Pop, 8/11 Pop, 5/12 CSR, 11/12 At DD's, 12/13 POFQ
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 46,498

Since she got B31-B35, I assume she has 5 seats. Since rows are 3 x 3, someone else will be allowed to sit in the 6th seat.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
jodiey
Mouseketeer
 
jodiey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Since she got B31-B35, I assume she has 5 seats. Since rows are 3 x 3, someone else will be allowed to sit in the 6th seat.
yes you are correct. I will need 3 on one side and 2 on the other
jodiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!
 
Sandi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA
Posts: 5,288

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiey View Post
yes you are correct. I will need 3 on one side and 2 on the other
You might consider having two in front and three behind those two (or vice versa). It is sometimes easier to hand things over the seat than it is to go across the aisle. Also, if any of your kids are seat kickers, it's better to have them kick our own family members. (I'm not saying yours are, just that it's worth considering.)
__________________
Have a Disney Day! -Sandi

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 47,789
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post

You might consider having two in front and three behind those two (or vice versa). It is sometimes easier to hand things over the seat than it is to go across the aisle. Also, if any of your kids are seat kickers, it's better to have them kick our own family members. (I'm not saying yours are, just that it's worth considering.)
That was going to be my suggestion as well.
__________________



goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
Akulp
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 11

We fly Southwest everytime to Disney and have never had a problem getting good seats Best of luck! Enjoy your trip. We have 14 days until we leave.
__________________
Ashley Kulp
Akulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
jayhawk74
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiey View Post
I just checked in exactly 24 hours before our Southwest flight and got B31-B35. I'm traveling with a 2 year old and 4 month old so I was hoping to get a whole row across (and not near the bathrooms). I know I'll be able to go between the A and B group because of the young kids but I'm thinking since this is a dirct flight to Orlando that most people on this plane will also be flying with little kids. What do you think the odds are of actually getting a decent seat? This is why I hate Southwest and never travel with them. We usually fly Jetblue but because they only have 1 flight a day and the flight home was real late at night I had no choice but to switch to SW.
Family Boarding it is only for those 4 and under so the other three in you party will have to board with B31-33. Having said that if you go to the back (anywhere past the wings) you should be able to get seats together.
jayhawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran
 
MaleficentRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Second star to the right.
Posts: 1,459

You gotta pick your poison. You are more likely to get seats together the further back you go, near the bathrooms. What's more important to you?
__________________
MaleficentRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
JEWLSVERN
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk74 View Post

Family Boarding it is only for those 4 and under so the other three in you party will have to board with B31-33. Having said that if you go to the back (anywhere past the wings) you should be able to get seats together.
I would assume there are 2 adults so if one adult has baby and one adult the 2 year old can they not all board together? If other ticket is also a child I would think they would allow all 5 to board together.
JEWLSVERN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 46,498

In my experience, I have never seen them limit 4 and under children to one parent. They usually allow parents & all children. Now I have seen them say no to grandparents , aunts, etc (assuming a parent is there).
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
jodiey
Mouseketeer
 
jodiey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 328

So just an update everything worked out just fine. There were only us and another family of 4 that boarded after the A group. We ended up getting the whole row right by the wings so it all worked out great! And they let all 6 of us board, she said because the grandparents were helping us out they could come with. We had a lot of stuff, 5 carry ons, 2 strollers and 2 kids
jodiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: