Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #1051
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your 10k, that's really awesome for your first time running. I think I could maybe walk it, but running would be a no go!
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #1052
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Congrats on the 10K!!!!!

Seems the Gods were sad and crying at the end of your vacation to send you off the island and greet you at home with rain.

Someday I hope to get there and even if I have half as good a time as you both did I will be happy.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #1053
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your 10K!!! Well done to both of you.

Okay, the bamboo basket makes the $12.50 for a tuna sandwich so much more worth it! Okay, maybe the view was worth it.

So sorry you had to come hold to cold rain - guess it made your memories that much sweeter!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #1054
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

We have AP vouchers that we'll activate in December...I really have to get up to speed on this new system! I feel a bit lost right now....

The Luana lounge is a nice touch on Disney's part; it was also very crowded when we used it.
We've left food in the fridge before at WDW, it's just one of those places that sometimes you forget to double-check before leaving the room! Frustrating, but it worked out well for you guys!
We are not early risers at all either. We will pay more for later flights - travel day is tiring enough, add to it the stress and worry of getting everyone up at the crack of dawn - it's not worth it!
Sad your report is almost over!

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW
CarolynK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #1055
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Congratulations on your 10k!
Well your last day sounds like it was finished up in fantastic style! Except for a few minor points that is! (Glad your allergic reaction to the mask didn't bother you!
Wow, home again. Not nice weather to return to for sure!
Looking forward to the recap!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I'm sure the mask would have bothered me more (itching or burning) had I had it on longer but it was a bit scary the mark it left just being on for the hour or so.

It was not nice weather to return to, that's for sure, it did make us glad we'd eked out every ounce of sun we could in Hawaii!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekjones1558 View Post
Welcome home! wonderful and complete report.
Silly question: I thought that Ahi Poke was made with raw tuna and yours looked cooked, or at least seared?
Oops, never mind. I just looked at your photo of the Happy Hour menu and it does say "seared." I guess I learned something because I always thought that Poke was uncooked, like tar tar.
Yes, I thought that was odd as well. I think they are definitely gearing that to the tourist, it would have been far more accurate to simply call it seared Ahi.

It was delicious though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
I would think if you are allergic or anyone then you get the card.
Those sandwiches look so good.
Looks like a good ending to the trip.
The Ahi looked good.
Rain go away. LOL
It will be interesting to see what happens with cards/bands all that between now and then for sure.

Our meals were very good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Couldn't we all say that?

Congratulations!
thanks, it was fun

Quote:
D'oh!

We may or may not have bought too much food at Costco while we were there and left a little in the fridge for the next guest...
As did we though sadly, if stuff is opened it just gets tossed.

Quote:
Probably fancier than what you had planned anyway.
A little bit, though it did feel wasteful for sure!

Quote:
Nice spot! Too bad it was overcast that day...but not a bad way to spend the last few hours in Hawaii.
It didn't suck!

Quote:
Never thought of it that way! You're right, let's get out of this dump.
Yep, nice of the weather to ease the pain

Quote:
Hooray for flight delays!
We were VERY happy, I don't think it was actually a delay though, it was a change but thankfully for us, one in the right direction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Congratulations on the results. It looks very successful to me, for a first time 10K. Too bad the weather wasn't nicer, but you can't have it all.
It's Seattle, it rains. Part of the deal and it wasn't all that cold or windy so really it was fine. Wearing the right gear helps for sure. They were handing out the emergency blankets at the end which a lot of folks took and used and I'm quite sure had I been attempting the 1/2, I would have too!

Quote:
Seriously... you've put so much work into planning this trip. Just do it. You can't all tour together all the time anyway. Explain to everyone how it works and just reserve FP+ for your own family. I've got to think that if they're steering everyone in that direction by then, it will be hard to get same day FP+ for any attraction that is even remotely popular.
While conceptually that is nice....my kids will NOT want to leave their cousins at all. So I really can't, morally, if that makes sense. What I can hope is that my sister gets her tickets ahead of time, we can link and then I'll get FP+ for all in our villa which includes all the kids. My folks and sister/BIL will get it and be ok. Hard part for me will be waiting, it is unlikely she'll have tickets before mid/end November IF she buys them before the trip.

I could book some for just us and hope then to add them but...am worried that will cause more issues, seems like changing times has had some problems for some.

Quote:
I wonder how many people have gone to guest services to complain about that minor detail.
Allergy? I'd hazard next to none. Latex is a pretty common allergy, what I have is not. And, these are actually an unknown substance. I may actually contact Disney to find out. It is highly likely I am allergic but what happens with most of these types of things is they are some proprietary "blend" of mysterious whatever, get a name like Croslite and they don't tell you what is in it. It makes it VERY hard to determine if things are ok or not on my end.

Hey, maybe they'd give me a free cover thingy...LOL!

Quote:

It is too bad you didn't get to use the food you had already bought, but this does look like a good way to enjoy lunch on your last day there.
It was good! Even if it wasn't exactly in the budget

Quote:
You must be the "glass half full" type.
Whatever gave you that idea? Have to be to survive married to an engineer and working with 60+ of them daily. Besides, it drives them nuts.

Quote:
You can't expect to see too much excitement about leaving Aulani, but what a downer.
Seriously, it was like, I'm going to bed.

So we did. LOL!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #1056
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Congrats on the 10K! You both did a great job!

Oh, it's time to go home already? It seems like you just got there.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #1057
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

knocking back a few drinks before you leave. well played...helps to fall asleep on the plane easier.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #1058
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Nice way to end the trip despite the rain and a few challenges! Your happy hour food and drinks looked good!
All in all, a wonderful trip! I really hope we can go in the next couple years. (We did commit to Disneyland for March 2014).

CONGRATS on the 10K and doing so well!!

So you must have gotten back to Seattle fairly early in the day - I would have gone to bed too if I saw that rain out the window!

I am kind of glad we're not going to WDW for a while - I want all this magic band FP+ business sorted out first! And then all of you can tell me the best strategies!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #1059
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
What a fabulous vacation! Thanks so much for sharing with us
It was a fabulous vacation. We've been to Hawaii on couple only trips 3 times now and in many ways, this was our favorite of all.

Quote:
I can't wait to get to Aulani!!!
I can't wait to go back!

Quote:
Love chatting with fellow DVCers by the pool, there's just something about it
I think Jeff is always secretly relieved to meet "normal" people who own, and to meet ones also there without kids was a bonus!

Quote:
Oops about the sandwiches, but great idea to get some by the pool. Going out in style.
There is something SO decadent about poolside service, isn't there?

Quote:
Congrats on the 10k!
Thanks! It was fun

Quote:
Can you only do FP+ if you already have park tickets?
That is my understanding. So to do it ahead of time you have to

1. have a resort ressie
2. have MDE set up
3. have your park ticket linked.

The ticket does NOT have to be activated yet, but it does have to be valid.

Otherwise you can do it in park, once you get there but I think just for that day until you link it to MDE and your reservation. Not positive though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
First, congrats on your first 10K. That is awesome.
Thanks, it was fun and the perfect "first" one to do. Low key and low pressure!

Quote:
I wondered what happened to those lunches. Well, the food you got at the pool looked really good (especially Jeff's) so that made up for it.
Lunch was really good, possibly because we were starving, possibly it was that good or more likely, just the whole being served poolside aspect.

Quote:
What a lovely vacation. I'm sorry it ended with rain.
Oh the rain was great! It made is SO much easier to leave.

Quote:
And I would have gotten home and taken a nap and skipped the office myself.
I was on the fence and it was like..no way, not gonna! Plus that way I was up, rested and home when the kids came home instead of being at the office. Jeff had planned to take the whole day off all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
What an awesome trip! Too bad you had to come home to rain and cold.
It was freezing when we got home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Congrats on the 10K!!!

Jill in CO
Thanks, it was fun and nice to have that first one over with to be honest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Wow congratulations on your 10k! That's amazing. Any plans for the WDW Marathon anytime soon?!
Not the full marathon, ever! LOL. I am planning to do the Disneyland Half. I'd love to do one of the WDW ones but realistically with the dates, and the costs..the DL half works out SO much better!

Quote:
I believe you ended your Hawaii trip the right way...with drinks in hand!
Is there any other way? LOL

Quote:
What a fantastic vacation you had. Thanks so much for sharing! One day we'll get there, if we can ever pry ourselves away from WDW that is
It is a challenge to fit it all in and you do have to give up, to get which is a bit annoying. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carejo5 View Post
Have really been enjoying your trip report. With Aulani being a new resort for most of us , it is so helpful to read of others' experiences. I think I could relive your trip day by day and have a perfect vacation! My husband and I will be going in April to celebrate our 30 th anniversary.Looking at your photos and reading about your excursions makes the planning that much more fun.
Thank you so much! It was a wonderful couples getaway, just perfect. I really wouldn't change a thing!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #1060
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I always find it easier to end a vacation when the weather turns. What amazing luck you had all trip. The drinks look delicious. Very cute pic of you in the aqua with the lei.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #1061
carejo5
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

It was a fabulous vacation. We've been to Hawaii on couple only trips 3 times now and in many ways, this was our favorite of all.

I can't wait to go back!

I think Jeff is always secretly relieved to meet "normal" people who own, and to meet ones also there without kids was a bonus!

There is something SO decadent about poolside service, isn't there?

Thanks! It was fun

That is my understanding. So to do it ahead of time you have to

1. have a resort ressie
2. have MDE set up
3. have your park ticket linked.

The ticket does NOT have to be activated yet, but it does have to be valid.

Otherwise you can do it in park, once you get there but I think just for that day until you link it to MDE and your reservation. Not positive though!

Thanks, it was fun and the perfect "first" one to do. Low key and low pressure!

Lunch was really good, possibly because we were starving, possibly it was that good or more likely, just the whole being served poolside aspect.

Oh the rain was great! It made is SO much easier to leave.

I was on the fence and it was like..no way, not gonna! Plus that way I was up, rested and home when the kids came home instead of being at the office. Jeff had planned to take the whole day off all along.

It was freezing when we got home!

Thanks, it was fun and nice to have that first one over with to be honest!

Not the full marathon, ever! LOL. I am planning to do the Disneyland Half. I'd love to do one of the WDW ones but realistically with the dates, and the costs..the DL half works out SO much better!

Is there any other way? LOL

It is a challenge to fit it all in and you do have to give up, to get which is a bit annoying. LOL!

Thank you so much! It was a wonderful couples getaway, just perfect. I really wouldn't change a thing!
So enjoyed your trip , sorry to see it end . Even had to come out of lurkdom to say thanks for these reports . So much useful information .and the pictures! So beautiful ! We have a trip planned for April and these reports make the planning so much easier and the anticipation over the top!
carejo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #1062
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
Congrats on your 10k, that's really awesome for your first time running. I think I could maybe walk it, but running would be a no go!
Thanks! It was fun. Honestly I think if you can spend a whole day walking around Disney, you can walk a 10K!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Congrats on the 10K!!!!!
thanks! I am glad to have it behind me, the unknown you know? It was fun.

Quote:
Seems the Gods were sad and crying at the end of your vacation to send you off the island and greet you at home with rain.
They were crying!!!!!!!!!!! that we left, and we came back. LOL

Quote:
Someday I hope to get there and even if I have half as good a time as you both did I will be happy.
It was an incredible trip, start to finish. I could not have asked for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Congrats on your 10K!!! Well done to both of you.
thanks, we had a good time!

Quote:
Okay, the bamboo basket makes the $12.50 for a tuna sandwich so much more worth it! Okay, maybe the view was worth it.
Yeah...that's when you don't want to look at the price!

Quote:
So sorry you had to come hold to cold rain - guess it made your memories that much sweeter!
it really did but OH was it cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
We have AP vouchers that we'll activate in December...I really have to get up to speed on this new system! I feel a bit lost right now....
I hear you, I feel like this week has been a crash course

Quote:
The Luana lounge is a nice touch on Disney's part; it was also very crowded when we used it.
the actual shower, etc part wasn't too crowded but lots of folks hanging inthe actual lounge part. Which I don't get. Why wouldn't you sit by the pool or at Oleo or on the beach...instead of inside a room with a tv???

Quote:
We've left food in the fridge before at WDW, it's just one of those places that sometimes you forget to double-check before leaving the room! Frustrating, but it worked out well for you guys!
We are not early risers at all either. We will pay more for later flights - travel day is tiring enough, add to it the stress and worry of getting everyone up at the crack of dawn - it's not worth it!
Sad your report is almost over!
later is SO much better for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Congrats on the 10K! You both did a great job!
thanks! It was fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Oh, it's time to go home already? It seems like you just got there.
We did! A week isn't long enough.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #1063
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
knocking back a few drinks before you leave. well played...helps to fall asleep on the plane easier.
That's always the hope anyway!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Nice way to end the trip despite the rain and a few challenges! Your happy hour food and drinks looked good!
All in all, a wonderful trip! I really hope we can go in the next couple years. (We did commit to Disneyland for March 2014).
I saw that! You have to scope it all out for me, I'll be there a month later!

It was a nice way to end the trip, I love the red eye home from Hawaii!

Quote:
CONGRATS on the 10K and doing so well!!
thanks, it definitely exceeded my expectations

Quote:
So you must have gotten back to Seattle fairly early in the day - I would have gone to bed too if I saw that rain out the window!
Oh yeah, it was like 5am or something crazy

Quote:
I am kind of glad we're not going to WDW for a while - I want all this magic band FP+ business sorted out first! And then all of you can tell me the best strategies!
They seem to change daily so who knows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I always find it easier to end a vacation when the weather turns. What amazing luck you had all trip. The drinks look delicious. Very cute pic of you in the aqua with the lei.
It is easier to end it, couldn't have been timed better, that rain (or sky crying, I like that!). It was an amazing trip. Thanks on the picture, I love aqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by carejo5 View Post
So enjoyed your trip , sorry to see it end . Even had to come out of lurkdom to say thanks for these reports . So much useful information .and the pictures! So beautiful ! We have a trip planned for April and these reports make the planning so much easier and the anticipation over the top!
I am so happy you did come out of lurkdom! April will be lovely, absolutely lovely! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did, it is a magical place.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #1064
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

What an amazingly full last day you had! I love how you started with the fresh fruit and yogurt!

Lots of great pics with characters! I think the ones with Goofy are my favorite... but then again, how sweet is it that Chip...or was it Dale?? kissed your hand.

I am so glad the id was not lost. What luck to have an eager to help young man dive for them! I am sure your day would not have ended so nicely had he not recovered them for you.

Lunch pool side looked good, but i think I am even more impressed with your last meal.

Too bad the rain came in just toward then end. I guess it had to in order to get your ready to be home.

AND I am so very impressed with your time at your very first 10k!! You are going to be so ready for the DL half!!!
annmarieda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #1065
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I am not surprised that you did so well for your first 10K! Great job!

To book FP+ or not to book.... yikes. I'd probably book just a couple for your family and tell the rest of the travel party ahead of time that you are testing the new system for Disney so are doing a good deed for guests everywhere. That's a tough one for sure.

At least you were able to enjoy some relaxation, good food, a few cocktails, and shopping on your last day. That would be great on any day but throw in being in Hawaii - perfect!

How funny that you left rain and you came home to rain.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aulani, dvc, ka'ena, koko head

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: