Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #466
lauradis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
Really, so twice a week a hotel guest will tell you about their medical treatment?
yep and tons of other crazy things.

Best and most interesting job I have ever had. The travel benefits are great.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #467
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradis View Post

yep and tons of other crazy things.

Best and most interesting job I have ever had. The travel benefits are great.
So, why don't you ask them why they aren't at home getting their free healthcare?
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #468
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post
Another solution would be to end the subsidies that allow "unhealthy" foods to be so much less expensive than "healthy" ones
This. And it wouldn't even involve additional bureaucracy or government spending - it would <gasp> shrink federal spending while having a trickle-down social and economic benefit. I wouldn't even think about moving subsidies; that would just net us a version of HFCS and other science-project additives made from apples or tomatoes or whatever is being subsidized. Corn didn't start out as junk food; much of the junk we have today is a direct consequence of corn being artificially cheap.

But since good health doesn't have a lobby we're going to get a farm bill that expands subsidies while cutting food stamps, which only ensures that "cheap" will win out over "healthy" at the grocery store even more often.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #469
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27

This. And it wouldn't even involve additional bureaucracy or government spending - it would <gasp> shrink federal spending while having a trickle-down social and economic benefit. I wouldn't even think about moving subsidies; that would just net us a version of HFCS and other science-project additives made from apples or tomatoes or whatever is being subsidized. Corn didn't start out as junk food; much of the junk we have today is a direct consequence of corn being artificially cheap.

But since good health doesn't have a lobby we're going to get a farm bill that expands subsidies while cutting food stamps, which only ensures that "cheap" will win out over "healthy" at the grocery store even more often.
And it ensures that those on the lowest rungs of the socioeconomic ladder continue to be perceived as slovenly, fat, lazy leeches attached to the government teat. It's really hard to eat healthy, fresh foods if your food stamps are your entire grocery budget and you have to make them stretch. It's even harder when you don't have extra funds or storage space to take advantage of sales cycles to stock up.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #470
chobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post

And it ensures that those on the lowest rungs of the socioeconomic ladder continue to be perceived as slovenly, fat, lazy leeches attached to the government teat. It's really hard to eat healthy, fresh foods if your food stamps are your entire grocery budget and you have to make them stretch. It's even harder when you don't have extra funds or storage space to take advantage of sales cycles to stock up.
Of course if a food stamp recipient filled their cart with fish, skinless chicken breasts and fresh produce we would hear complaints about how the working person behind then in line had to buy dented canned veggies and week old hamburger discounted for quick sale.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #471
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

So what I gather is that food stamps can and should be used to buy junk food and everyone is OK with that. Right?

I just want to understand the mindset.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #472
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka
So what I gather is that food stamps can and should be used to buy junk food and everyone is OK with that. Right?

That's not what ANY of us said. At all. Certain foods are higher calorie and lower priced. Pasta is cheap. So are beans. Fish and chicken aren't. Beef and pork aren't. Fresh vegetables and fruits, which aren't necessarily even available in some urban areas, are expensive. Canned veggies and fruits are much lower value in nutrition, but they're cheaper & they'll keep. White sandwich bread & regular HFCS filled peanut butter are cheap. HFCS free wheat bread & natural peanut butter aren't.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #473
Muushka

Quote:
That's not what ANY of us said. At all. Certain foods are higher calorie and lower priced. Pasta is cheap. So are beans. Fish and chicken aren't. Beef and pork aren't. Fresh vegetables and fruits, which aren't necessarily even available in some urban areas, are expensive. Canned veggies and fruits are much lower value in nutrition, but they're cheaper & they'll keep. White sandwich bread & regular HFCS filled peanut butter are cheap. HFCS free wheat bread & natural peanut butter aren't.
OK, so if everyone is not saying that food stamps should be used for junk food, why is it that people don't get upset when food stamps are being used to purchase junk food ie; soda, chips, ice cream etc? Wouldn't that be one way to help the obesity epidemic? Also not be allowed to use them at fast food restaurants. What is wrong with that mentality?

~Remember 9/11/2012
Old 10-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #474
chobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post

You know what? I am ok with a kid getting a treat once in awhile, even if his parents are getting assistance.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #475
johde
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by souris View Post
12-18 months! That is ludicrous.. That is far from being the norm in canada. Average wait time in Ontario is less then 60 days (less if urgent of course).

I am so happy to hear about those now being able to be insured. I have pre-existing medical conditions and in the past year have gone through cancer treatment and have had a high risk pregnancy/birth. I can only imagine how much in debt I would be without insurance.
That may be the case, but that's not the perception coming from the Canadian media. The link I referenced was from an article on Canadian website on deciding between a free public MRI and paying for a private MRI.

The same way you believe the Canadian media exaggerated things, the U.S. media is prone to exaggeration as well. The vast majority of American are satisfied with the quality of healthcare they receive. There are problems in the financing of it. But what country isn't having trouble with that.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #476
Muushka

Quote:
You know what? I am ok with a kid getting a treat once in awhile, even if his parents are getting assistance.
How about if they bought that treat with their own money?

~Remember 9/11/2012
Old 10-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #477
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Of course if a food stamp recipient filled their cart with fish, skinless chicken breasts and fresh produce we would hear complaints about how the working person behind then in line had to buy dented canned veggies and week old hamburger discounted for quick sale.
There is no way I can add more to support to these posts without getting into trouble, so I'll merely say
Old 10-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #478
chobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post

How about if they bought that treat with their own money?
I'm ok with them buying an occasional treat with MY tax money. Of course, the main reason I want them to eat healthy is because I want them to be healthy, not because of some self-righteous indignation that a person who can't afford to buy food should have every morsel they put in their mouths dictated by me,

But since we're on this subject, how is it anyone can know when someone is using an EBT card? I have never noticed what type of card the person in front of me pays with. One would have to be purposely looking over someone's shoulder trying to see what type of card a person was swiping to know that, and that's rude IMO.

Last edited by chobie; 10-31-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #479
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
I'm ok with them buying an occasional treat with MY tax money. Of course, the main reason I want them to eat healthy is because I want them to be healthy, not because of some self-righteous indignation that a person who can't afford to buy food should have every morsel they put in their mouths dictated by me,

But since we're on this subject, how is it anyone can know when someone is using an EBT card? I have never noticed what type of card the person in front of me pays with. One would have to be purposely looking over someone's shoulder trying to see what type of card a person was swiping to know that, and that's rude IMO.
You know what they can spend their entire EBT balance on junk just as long as they don't whine and complain that they aren't getting enough to feed their kids breakfast, lunch and dinner for the month
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #480
chobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post

You know what they can spend their entire EBT balance on junk just as long as they don't whine and complain that they aren't getting enough to feed their kids breakfast, lunch and dinner for the month
I agree.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: