Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Torontofamilyoffive
Earning My Ears

Somebody please talk to me about Seabands and rides!

I read somewhere on here that someone wore Seabands and was able to do rides that they otherwise wouldn't be able to handle because of motion sickness.

Has anyone else tried this? I'd love love love to be able to go on more rides, but not at the risk of feeling sick the whole day. For reference, I can barely handle stuff like Peter Pan and Snow White at Disney.
Torontofamilyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

I've got them. They were useless for me. Bonine (meclizine) is the only thing that works for me. You can't get it in Canada, unfortunately. But you can get it in any US store. It is also called less-drowsy dramamine.

Gravol just makes me sleep and the ginger stuff does do much for me. Regular Dramamine is the same a Gravol so if that makes you sleepy too, make sure you don't mistake regular dramamine for less-drowsy dramamine. It is a different formulation.

I take a meclizine the night before and then one in the morning.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
schumigirl
I`ve bought one of those for this year....it`s in fuscia pink though......You`ll be able to see me from the air
It`s a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

Location: Originally Scotland, Now in Cleveland, NE England, UK

They have never worked for me either for rides.

I tried them first many years ago on a ship for seasickness......they didn`t work then either. But everyone will react differently to certain things.

I tried what damo said and got some bonine a coupe of years ago when we got to the States and it worked for me. I can`t take them now as I have vertigo and get tablets prescribed from the doc every year, which are similar to motion sickness tabs just a lot stronger.

I do regularly take anything with ginger in, but didn`t notice if it helped with motion sickness.

Maybe try Bonine as you say you can`t handle "gentle" rides. Hope it works for you and you have a great time
AUG 2009 2 WEEKS RPR
OCT 2010 2 WEEKS RPR & HHN
AUG 2011 2 WEEKS RPR
JULY 2012 17 NIGHTS RPR
APRIL 2013 WEEK IN NEW YORK
SEPT 2013...17 NIGHTS RPR &HHN
MAY 2014.....2 WEEKS IN NEW YORK
SEPTEMBER 2014....18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
schumigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
Bluer101
Waiting till vacation comes!

DW uses Bonine too.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
kohlby
DIS Veteran

They work great for me. I worked on a very small passenger ship - only 142 passenger and I get sea sick. I wore those things on and off for the 6 months I worked and lived on the ship. I had extra pairs and often gave them to passengers to try- and they worked extremely well for most. Do make sure they're positioned correctly. Most medications give me side effects. So, I rely on the sea bands for some of the rides - like Soarin' at Disney or Forbidden Journey at IOA. I don't dare try Storm Force Accelerator/Teacups though. But I can do everything else. I tried the bands when I was pregnant and hyperemesis and they didn't do a thing. But that's not motion sickness, though I've heard they work for some in that situation.

I can handle Peter Pan and Snow White without the bands though, so I'm not as severe as you. I cannot handle a carosel or rides that make you feel like you're moving more than you are - like Star Tours, unless I have my bands on.

I tried Bonine years ago and did have side effects to it. Nothing severe, but it made me feel terribly spacy. (I also have yet to find an allergy medication that doesn't make me feel odd. So, it could just be how I process things).
kohlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Seahunt
DIS Veteran

You might want to try MotionEaze also. It's an all natural herbal oil and you just put a drop behind each ear and voila, you're good to go.

I used it on our last cruise and had zero motion problems (and I'm usually a Bonine girl because I get so motion sick). CVS/Walmart/Amazon carry it.

http://motioneaze.com/motioneaze/mot...ckness-relief/
Seahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Sea Bands are useless. The only thing that allows me to ride ANY RIDES AT ALL is Meclizine. I get it in prescription form Antivert but you can buy it over the counter.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

They didn't help me on a cruise.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunt View Post
You might want to try MotionEaze also. It's an all natural herbal oil and you just put a drop behind each ear and voila, you're good to go.

I used it on our last cruise and had zero motion problems (and I'm usually a Bonine girl because I get so motion sick). CVS/Walmart/Amazon carry it.

http://motioneaze.com/motioneaze/mot...ckness-relief/
Is this sold in any stores? I'd love to try it but don't have enough time before my next vacation to order it. I see that they have retail locations listed, but have you ever actually seen it in those stores before I go on a hunt for it?
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
dedex13
Mouseketeer

I've gotten it (Motion Eaze) from Wal-Mart. Around here they only have it at the bigger ones and it is right with the other motion sickness relieving items. Comes in a little box.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontofamilyoffive View Post
I read somewhere on here that someone wore Seabands and was able to do rides that they otherwise wouldn't be able to handle because of motion sickness.

Has anyone else tried this? I'd love love love to be able to go on more rides, but not at the risk of feeling sick the whole day. For reference, I can barely handle stuff like Peter Pan and Snow White at Disney.
Wrist bands...not effective.

Sea sickness/Motion sickness is mainly caused by a disturbance of the inner ear..sure there is an acupressure point in the wrist but properly finding it is another story!

Should you find yourself motion and not have "sea sick" medication just pop an allergy pill. The Antihistamines help control motion sickness by influencing the part of the brain that controls nausea and vomiting.

Meclizine / Non-Drowzy Dramamine does the trick for motion sickness.
It use to be sold under the name Bonamine here but they don't carry it in Canada anymore.
Ebay or Amazon.ca and order yourself up a bottle of chewable Meclizine.

We live close to the border so we always pick some up when we are over doing groceries.
Family Adventures Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Cocoa Beach/Daytona/ Texas/ St Thomas USVI/ Cuba/ Belize/ Jamaica/ Bahamas/ St Maarten/ Cozumel/ Costa Maya/Puerto Vallarta/ Honduras /Dominican Republic / Cayman Islands & Many...MANY Disney Land trips & Most recently Sailed the Disney Magic[/FONT][/SIZE]
vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
sebastian75_99
Mouseketeer

I am at Universal now and have had incredibly positive results with Bonine. Thank you to everyone who recommended it!! I am amazed at how well it works.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: