The Internet's Largest and Friendliest Disney Community WDWinfo.com | DISboards.com | Dreams Unlimited Travel
DISboards
Sheraton Resort Orlando
Beautiful Rooms and Atmosphere

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions > Hotel & Accommodations Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #91
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by allymouse View Post
Some of the buildings seem to have more modern furnishings, as far as I can see in photos. Which buildings are these?
it's probably more an issue of personal preference, as all areas of the resort have been completely renovated in the last 5 years:

Fountains I - Aug. 2008
Fountains II - Feb. 2009
Falls - May 2009
Springs - June 2009
Cascades - May 2010
Courts - Aug. 2010
Spas - Jan. 2011

i posted some pictures of my villa in the lakes area earlier. here is the link.

also, you can look at these pictures of the different villas to help decide which area you prefer.

http://www.starwoodvacationnetwork.c...resort/villas/

Quote:
Is anything in walking distance of the resort?
probably depends on where you are in the resort...but i would not expect to be close enough to walk anywhere outside of the resort.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #92
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Some of the buildings seem to have more modern furnishings, as far as I can see in photos. Which buildings are these?
As Charles indicates above, fully renovated. Actually the dates listed were the original proposed dates. The renovations in our section (Courts) finished about a year behind schedule - that's good news for the furnishings as they are that much newer.

Quote:
Are there iPod/phone docks in the villas for playing music?
Every unit has a Bose sound system in the entertainment centre. I am an Android, so I can't use iDocks; not really sure if it has one. It does have an aux in tho, I just jack in with mini-jack.

Quote:
Sheraton's website says there are some renovations going on now. What is closed (mid November) and will it put a damper on things?
This is a really large resort, so like Disney something is ALWAYS undergoing upgrading. There is an ongoing rework of the Zimmies area going on into 2014, so that is most probably it. The bar area renovations are announced as complete, the restaurant area may be closed (but there are other dining options on resort).

Quote:
Best place for a drink? Any happy hours?
There are 3 bars and they are pretty consistent, pick the one closest to your unit. All offer daily drink specials, no specific happy hour.

Quote:
Is anything in walking distance of the resort?

Thanks!
It's not in the densest area, so there is not a lot. There is a Walgreens, a couple of restaurants, Starbucks (although that is also served at the Marketplace), fast food, dollar store and mini-golf all within a 5-10 minute walk.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #93
allymouse
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the great advice! I really appreciate it.

Is there any (legal) way to cut through by foot to the Marriott World Center, maybe through Royal Palms? My parents own at Sabal and it might be fun to spend an evening at the hotel.

Thanks!
allymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #94
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the great advice! I really appreciate it.

Is there any (legal) way to cut through by foot to the Marriott World Center, maybe through Royal Palms? My parents own at Sabal and it might be fun to spend an evening at the hotel.

Thanks!
Not really, there is about an 8' wall surrounding the Vistana property, so you would need some climbing gear to get over. If you could get over, the parking garage for The main Marriot building is about 10 feet away at the end of Falls Blvd.

Looking on Google maps, you could walk out the southernmost exit of Vistana and walk about a block to what looks to be an entrance at the west end of Vacation Way. There still might be a considerable walk across the Marriot complex and your parents would probably need to inform security of your arrival.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #95
ajenks22
Mouseketeer

So excited for my SVR vacation in 7 days! Woohoo!

Some questions:

What grocery stores are close by? I do not want Wal-Mart since it's so close to Christmas and I imagine an absolute zoo.

I was told that Zimmies would be closed during my visit, but just got my Diamond Lane Check-In update with Christmas Dinner at Zimmies advertised. I'm going to call tomorrow, but does anyone know if Zimmies is indeed closed right now?

The weather seems warm enough to swim and absolutely delightful. Are the poolside bars open?

Anyone there right now that would like to pass along any Christmas decorations? We arrive on Saturday. I hate to go buy something if someone else has decorations they no longer need.
ajenks22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #96
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajenks22 View Post
So excited for my SVR vacation in 7 days! Woohoo!

Some questions:

What grocery stores are close by? I do not want Wal-Mart since it's so close to Christmas and I imagine an absolute zoo.
Nearest full grocery is Publix on Vineland (8145 Vineland Ave). Go the long way around (via I-Drive) to avoid the traffic around the outlet mall. There is also a Winn-Dixie just past the Crossroads on S. Apopka Vineland Rd. (11957), but Publix is much nicer and traffic near the Crossroads is always an issue. For dietary concerns I would recommend Whole Foods at 8003 Turkey Lake Road.

Quote:
I was told that Zimmies would be closed during my visit, but just got my Diamond Lane Check-In update with Christmas Dinner at Zimmies advertised. I'm going to call tomorrow, but does anyone know if Zimmies is indeed closed right now?
The Zimmies refit was a multi-part project over several months. There is a pretty good chance that they would be open if they are advertising a dinner there.

Quote:
The weather seems warm enough to swim and absolutely delightful. Are the poolside bars open?
The poolside bars are open year-round.

Quote:
Anyone there right now that would like to pass along any Christmas decorations? We arrive on Saturday. I hate to go buy something if someone else has decorations they no longer need.
Hope you have a great Christmas at SVR; I can't imagine Christmas without the snow and cold!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #97
lcpalmer03
Earning My Ears

If we book a 2 bedroom with a Wed check in, where are we likely to be placed?
lcpalmer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #98
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcpalmer03 View Post
I think you have the highest chance of being placed in Cascades, Fountains or Lakes. But that said....you could, potentially, be placed anywhere.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #99
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

A question for everyone!

Does anyone recall if there is a blender and muffin tins in the kitchens of the 2 bedrooms?

I am hoping to make smoothies and homemade muffins for breakfast on our 2 week trip in August....but quite honestly, we made minimal use of the kitchen on our last stay, and I'm not 100% sure which items are in the cupboards.

Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Old 01-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #100
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
A question for everyone!

Does anyone recall if there is a blender and muffin tins in the kitchens of the 2 bedrooms?

I am hoping to make smoothies and homemade muffins for breakfast on our 2 week trip in August....but quite honestly, we made minimal use of the kitchen on our last stay, and I'm not 100% sure which items are in the cupboards.
Am I imagining it (or confusing it with somewhere else that I have stayed), I was thinking that someone had posted photos of the contents of kitchen here someplace... Good luck finding it, though!
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #101
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcpalmer03 View Post
Could be pretty much anywhere. Vistana has standard buildings for the main timeshare check-in days (Fri/Sat/Sun). Check in on the other 4 days don't have specific sections.

I would GUESS that if you are checking in on a different date they would probably place you in a section where your departure would match the departure date or mid-week clean date for a section. That way staff would be available in that area on that date to clean and prep the unit for the next occupant. So if you are departing on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday you would probably be put in a building with that day checkin.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #102
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
A question for everyone!

I don't remember a blender, but according to the unit description on SVN they are there. There used to be a full kitchen inventory list on mystarcentral, but I can't find it anymore. The latest site update seems to have merged content from mystarcentral with SVN (Starwood Vacation Network) site, and a handful of things are missing. On the plus side, I notice that they have FINALLY published the resort map!

As to muffin tins, I'm going to say no. There are baking sheets there, used them many times for heating things in the oven, but almost positive that I have never seen muffin tins. I'll bet you can get some cheap ones at the dollar store across the street tho!

Old 01-06-2014, 12:20 PM   #103
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I don't remember a blender, but according to the unit description on SVN they are there. There used to be a full kitchen inventory list on mystarcentral, but I can't find it anymore. The latest site update seems to have merged content from mystarcentral with SVN (Starwood Vacation Network) site, and a handful of things are missing. On the plus side, I notice that they have FINALLY published the resort map!

As to muffin tins, I'm going to say no. There are baking sheets there, used them many times for heating things in the oven, but almost positive that I have never seen muffin tins. I'll bet you can get some cheap ones at the dollar store across the street tho!
Yeah, I kind of thought that I might strike out with the muffin tins. We will be at Walmart loading up on supplies on our arrival day, so I will just make sure to add one of those to the list. I hate those pre-packaged muffins you buy in the store. They are just awful.

I may call and ask about the blender. THAT is one thing I don't want to have to buy. And we are taking a young lady with us that's a smoothie maker extraordinare . I aim to start every morning with a fresh muffin and a homemade smoothie, poolside .

Ugh. 222 more days until I'm at my happy place. It seems like a long wait.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #104
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I kind of thought that I might strike out with the muffin tins. We will be at Walmart loading up on supplies on our arrival day, so I will just make sure to add one of those to the list. I hate those pre-packaged muffins you buy in the store. They are just awful.

I may call and ask about the blender. THAT is one thing I don't want to have to buy. And we are taking a young lady with us that's a smoothie maker extraordinare . I aim to start every morning with a fresh muffin and a homemade smoothie, poolside .

Ugh. 222 more days until I'm at my happy place. It seems like a long wait.
Wow 222 does sound like a wait. we're about 60 days out from our SC excursion; but that probably means about 425 days until our next Orlando excursion.

If you use the silicon baking cups you could bring them along. They weigh almost nothing and can pack flat. One thing we find is that we do have an odd assortment of must have resort items that we pack down every year, even though we fly. For instance, it took a couple of years before I found out that you can borrow BBQ utensils at the MarketPlace, so I packed my own (a funky 3-in-1 spatu-tong-fork (spatork?, forlipork?) device) until I found out. I can only think what the guys who x-ray my baggage at customs must think...

Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #105
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

bankr63 (and any of the other SVR owners who might be out there).....I have a question for you.

As an owner, what are some of the resort perks that you receive?

I am thinking specifically of things that might be a cost to guest, but complimentary (or at a discount) for owners. I think the mini golf is less expensive for owners, IIRC, but not sure by how much.

And are there other things that I might not be thinking of, besides the mini golf?

I know one of the things owners don't receive is complimentary shuttle service (which is not an issue as we rent a vehicle).

One of the things I liked about SVR (as opposed to the Westgate timeshare that we stayed at) is that most things around the resort (except for maybe things like tye-dye t-shirts, hair wraps, etc.) seemed to be included. You didn't have to pay to rent a tennis racket or use a basketball (which you did at Westlake).

So at SVR, are there any "owner perks"? (besides getting first kick at the cat for a reservation at the one-year point?)

Tags
resorts, sheraton, sheraton vistana resort, timeshare, vistana

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: