Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #31
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDisneyfan816 View Post
I am able to use the fistula, but because it isn't fully matured, they have to be very careful where they insert it. Once it is fully matured (mid winter), they can do the button holes (same entry point).

That sounds like where my numbers were. My creatinine increased from July to August from 4.5 to 5.9. It decreased in September to 5.2 but my BUN was at 111. That last number is what prompted my doctor to start me on dialysis. Potassium was what started me with kidney disease but it is now under control. My doctor had me get my fistula installed back in February, but because of the recent surgery, it prolonged the fully mature point.
Gotcha. Now I understand. This is so overwhelming that we try and take one step at a time. Since mom is having PD, the catheter only takes 2 weeks to heal and be usable. She was scheduled for her renal appt this past Monday and most probably would have been told its time for the catheter. However with her landing in the hospital for congestive heart failure it was decided to do that during this hospital stay. However things went downhill this week. She will have the catheter placed in her neck tomorrow. Hopefully no complications. Friday they want to do a cardiac catheterization to see if the CHF is all kidney or if there are any blockages. She does have a totally blocked artery to her brain so anything is possible. A combination of kidney and blockages won't be good. Doubtful she'd be able to have major surgery but they want to know how to treat the heart.
maxaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #32
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxaroni View Post
Gotcha. Now I understand. This is so overwhelming that we try and take one step at a time. Since mom is having PD, the catheter only takes 2 weeks to heal and be usable. She was scheduled for her renal appt this past Monday and most probably would have been told its time for the catheter. However with her landing in the hospital for congestive heart failure it was decided to do that during this hospital stay. However things went downhill this week. She will have the catheter placed in her neck tomorrow. Hopefully no complications. Friday they want to do a cardiac catheterization to see if the CHF is all kidney or if there are any blockages. She does have a totally blocked artery to her brain so anything is possible. A combination of kidney and blockages won't be good. Doubtful she'd be able to have major surgery but they want to know how to treat the heart.
I hope for the best possible results. Thankfully, (so far) my heart is sound. I got my first blood test results back last night. My BUN ballooned to 129 on Oct. 1 but is now at 49. My creatinine which rose to 5.9 in August and 5.5 in September is now 4.25. And up to 53 pounds off.
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #33
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hope for the best possible results. Thankfully, (so far) my heart is sound. I got my first blood test results back last night. My BUN ballooned to 129 on Oct. 1 but is now at 49. My creatinine which rose to 5.9 in August and 5.5 in September is now 4.25. And up to 53 pounds off.
Thank you. You had a bump in the road with the blood work but looks as if you have it under control and doing well.

Mom had the neck catheter (PICC line??) put in yesterday. She went from the recovery room to a 2 hr session of dialysis. Her arm yesterday had ballooned from fluid and today that has come down a bit. Today she had a 4 hour session of dialysis. She is now anemic and given shots last night. She is none too happy at the moment. Her cardiac cath was postponed until Monday as she had a bad day yesterday….very lethargic. I don't know what road we will be facing, as I've said she has other health issues besides ESRD but praying for better days ahead.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #34
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you. You had a bump in the road with the blood work but looks as if you have it under control and doing well.

Mom had the neck catheter (PICC line??) put in yesterday. She went from the recovery room to a 2 hr session of dialysis. Her arm yesterday had ballooned from fluid and today that has come down a bit. Today she had a 4 hour session of dialysis. She is now anemic and given shots last night. She is none too happy at the moment. Her cardiac cath was postponed until Monday as she had a bad day yesterday….very lethargic. I don't know what road we will be facing, as I've said she has other health issues besides ESRD but praying for better days ahead.
I am anemic too with my hemoglobin ranging from 7-9. I get shots of epogen and iron at each dialysis. Helps me a lot. Tell her after she's on it for awhile the fatigue should lessen. If she can go on dialysis successfully for a few weeks I think that in itself will make her feel better.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #35
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just last week I booked my December trip to Disney. Today I found out my Stage 5 kidney disease is worsening to the point where I will likely need dialysis in 3 weeks. This will mean being at the hospital for 3-4 hours a day, 3 days a week. He said that I could have dialysis down there but that will really cut into my time.
Praying.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #36
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am anemic too with my hemoglobin ranging from 7-9. I get shots of epogen and iron at each dialysis. Helps me a lot. Tell her after she's on it for awhile the fatigue should lessen. If she can go on dialysis successfully for a few weeks I think that in itself will make her feel better.
Haven't heard much more about the anemia as other things are going on. She had dialysis Thursday, Friday and Saturday and was pretty beat up. Could not stay awake and out of it. When we went Sunday, she turned the corner so assuming it's the dialysis and perhaps coupled with everything else. Mom had the cardiac cath and blockages in 4 arteries….1 - 100%, 1 - 93%, the other 2 in the 80% range. Bypass surgery is out of the question. She had a stent put in the 2 arteries in the 80% range. Opened up the 100% with angioplasty but a little tear so no stent was possible. The 93% was not able to have a stent either. This transpired today and we were with her until she went to dialysis to have a treatment to get the dye out. She will have another session tomorrow.

Hopefully, in the next couple of days she will be out of the hospital. However, can't come home yet as dad can't care for her the way she is. She will go to rehab to build her strength and dialysis. She is 1 week into recovery of her PD catheter, so once home they will soon beginning training for that.

Hope all is going well for you.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #37
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Haven't heard much more about the anemia as other things are going on. She had dialysis Thursday, Friday and Saturday and was pretty beat up. Could not stay awake and out of it. When we went Sunday, she turned the corner so assuming it's the dialysis and perhaps coupled with everything else. Mom had the cardiac cath and blockages in 4 arteries….1 - 100%, 1 - 93%, the other 2 in the 80% range. Bypass surgery is out of the question. She had a stent put in the 2 arteries in the 80% range. Opened up the 100% with angioplasty but a little tear so no stent was possible. The 93% was not able to have a stent either. This transpired today and we were with her until she went to dialysis to have a treatment to get the dye out. She will have another session tomorrow.

Hopefully, in the next couple of days she will be out of the hospital. However, can't come home yet as dad can't care for her the way she is. She will go to rehab to build her strength and dialysis. She is 1 week into recovery of her PD catheter, so once home they will soon beginning training for that.

Hope all is going well for you.
I am betting they are injecting epogen with iron while she is going through the dialysis as they are doing me. My fatigue is at a minimum now. Once she does the dialysis for awhile, I bet she will start to feel better. I have incredulously. I had my first monthly progress meeting yesterday. All numbers are good (for where I should be). Creatinine is still a bit high which it will be. One issue is since the fistula is not fully mature, the clearances are not optimal so they increased (for now until it does mature) my time on dialysis from 3 1/2 hours to 4 hours.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #38
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am betting they are injecting epogen with iron while she is going through the dialysis as they are doing me. My fatigue is at a minimum now. Once she does the dialysis for awhile, I bet she will start to feel better. I have incredulously. I had my first monthly progress meeting yesterday. All numbers are good (for where I should be). Creatinine is still a bit high which it will be. One issue is since the fistula is not fully mature, the clearances are not optimal so they increased (for now until it does mature) my time on dialysis from 3 1/2 hours to 4 hours.
They probably are giving her the epogen and iron. When other issues of the magnitude of what she has been through, the anemia took a backseat. Dad can't go into the dialysis area at the hospital so he goes home and then back when she is finished. Looks like she is going to rehab tomorrow.

You seem to be doing so well! There will always be bumps in the road but as long as the good days outweigh the bad. You were nervous about starting dialysis and now you are doing it and doing it well.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #39
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They probably are giving her the epogen and iron. When other issues of the magnitude of what she has been through, the anemia took a backseat. Dad can't go into the dialysis area at the hospital so he goes home and then back when she is finished. Looks like she is going to rehab tomorrow.

You seem to be doing so well! There will always be bumps in the road but as long as the good days outweigh the bad. You were nervous about starting dialysis and now you are doing it and doing it well.
Yes. Part of me wishes I didn't cancel the trip but it is better though to keep the care to the same people until things are set.

Where I go, visitors are allowed in dialysis, but just not when we are getting set up or taken off at the end. The worst part about the extra half hour is my tail bone lets me know about it!
Old 10-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #40
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes. Part of me wishes I didn't cancel the trip but it is better though to keep the care to the same people until things are set.

Where I go, visitors are allowed in dialysis, but just not when we are getting set up or taken off at the end. The worst part about the extra half hour is my tail bone lets me know about it!
Disney will always be there. Better to have the continuity and make sure all is going well. It may have been fine to go, but if things weren't going smoothly you may be stressing out as the trip got nearer.

I am sure things are different elsewhere but currently mom is getting dialysis at the hospital and am sure there are more restrictions. If all goes well, mom will have dialysis in the AM at the hospital and then be transferred to rehab.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #41
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Disney will always be there. Better to have the continuity and make sure all is going well. It may have been fine to go, but if things weren't going smoothly you may be stressing out as the trip got nearer.

I am sure things are different elsewhere but currently mom is getting dialysis at the hospital and am sure there are more restrictions. If all goes well, mom will have dialysis in the AM at the hospital and then be transferred to rehab.
Where I go is at the hospital as well. Tonight they are moving me up to the large (the size they prefer to use) needles so that should help my clearances.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #42
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Where I go is at the hospital as well. Tonight they are moving me up to the large (the size they prefer to use) needles so that should help my clearances.
Good luck with the move up!!!!! It should help you and you are already doing well.

It must be different as in this hospital only patients in the hospital can use the center. My mom is being transferred this evening to the rehab center which also has dialysis. Not all facilities offer dialysis. As a matter of fact, dad wanted the rehab center right next to the hospital, figuring it would be easy for her sessions. No can do... It is a separate entity and can't go to the hospital for dialysis. She had dialysis today and the plan is to go until Tuesday, if possible, and have a session then. The plus is that her renal doctor goes there and will see her. This will eliminate that visit at her office. Moms PD cath was flushed today and all is good. She may be on the neck access until home.

Continue to do well!!

Last edited by maxaroni; 11-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #43
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good luck with the move up!!!!! It should help you and you are already doing well.

It must be different as in this hospital only patients in the hospital can use the center. My mom is being transferred this evening to the rehab center which also has dialysis. Not all facilities offer dialysis. As a matter of fact, dad wanted the rehab center right next to the hospital, figuring it would be easy for her sessions. No can do... It is a separate entity and can't go to the hospital for dialysis. She had dialysis today and the plan is to go until Tuesday, if possible, and have a session then. The plus is that her renal doctor goes there and will see her. This will eliminate that visit at her office. Moms PD cath was flushed today and all is good. She may be on the neck access until home.

Continue to do well!!
Thanks. Last night I hit my dry weight which is also the weight I wanted to be at. (Lost 135 pounds over the past few years). I am surprised as the place I go to encourages visitors as they believe interaction with others is a valuable part of treatment.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #44
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. Last night I hit my dry weight which is also the weight I wanted to be at. (Lost 135 pounds over the past few years). I am surprised as the place I go to encourages visitors as they believe interaction with others is a valuable part of treatment.
You are inspiring. You are doing so well and so happy to hear that you are feeling well. It is not easy to be at the point of needing dialysis, yet you are doing well and feeling better. Congrats!!!

I totally agree with you as far as having people with you during your treatment. I went with my girlfriend during her chemo treatments when her DH wasn't available. It gave us time to catch up, she had a shoulder to cry on, or sit in silence but knowing I was there was a comfort to her. It seems to be more of of the stance of bringing in germs to others….at this point, it isn't a huge deal for us as mom will be doing PD at home. She's only doing this until her catheter is ok to use. Not sure if the transition will be during her time in rehab (she's there at least until 11/15), or once she is released.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #45
CTDisneyfan816
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You are inspiring. You are doing so well and so happy to hear that you are feeling well. It is not easy to be at the point of needing dialysis, yet you are doing well and feeling better. Congrats!!!

I totally agree with you as far as having people with you during your treatment. I went with my girlfriend during her chemo treatments when her DH wasn't available. It gave us time to catch up, she had a shoulder to cry on, or sit in silence but knowing I was there was a comfort to her. It seems to be more of of the stance of bringing in germs to others….at this point, it isn't a huge deal for us as mom will be doing PD at home. She's only doing this until her catheter is ok to use. Not sure if the transition will be during her time in rehab (she's there at least until 11/15), or once she is released.
I think once she gets into the dialysis, overall she also will have much more energy. I sit at a computer for 8 hours at work and every day, several times, I would sit and start closing my eyes because the fatigue would start in. But the last week because of the treatment and the epogen/iron injections, the last week I've had no problems at all. In about 3 weeks they are going to start in with the button holes which is establishing a same point of entry into the fistula. Once established (it takes three weeks) they will move to a blunt needle so placing the needles into start will be painless. I've come to a point in my life where I make the best out of the situation. The situation is what it is, so make the most of the time I'm am NOT on dialysis (and feeling better because of it).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: