Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Eating Healthy
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #151
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

HEY MODS! Again, I couldn't find this thread without using the search function! What's up with that? Am I having a blonde moment? Maybe this thread could be stickied on the "Eating Healthy" subforum?? Just a thought.....Thanks..... P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #152
pjlla
<><

**Here is the original recipe, as I found it****

ORIGINAL Chicken Ratatouille Stew

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1- inch pieces
1 (28- to 30-oz.) jar spaghetti sauce
1 medium eggplant, peeled, coarsely chopped
2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 small zucchini, sliced
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

1. In 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine all ingredients; mix well.
2. Cover; cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours or until chicken is no longer pink.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is my slightly modified version

Lightened-up Chicken Ratatouille Stew

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 (28- to 30-oz.) can of crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce.
1 medium eggplant, peeled, coarsely chopped
2 tomatoes, pulp removed and coarsely chopped
2-3 small zucchini, sliced
1-2 green or red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

Salt and/or pepper, as needed.

1. In 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine all ingredients; mix well.
2. Cover; cook on low setting for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. SERVES 4-6

Serve with whole wheat pasta and grated parmesan if desired.

I made it yesterday with lean pork loin because of DS's chicken allergy, but it definitely would have been a bit tastier with meat that wasn't quite so dry (which is why I would use chicken THIGHS instead of breast meat). I also added an additional zucchini and a bit more tomato sauce. I knew that it would get more liquidy as it cooked and I was right. It was definitely almost a soup.

I chose to use crushed tomatoes rather than the spaghetti sauce for two reasons.... #1 it is cheaper and #2 most jarred/canned spaghetti sauce contains sugar (often in the form of HFCS). I knew that this recipe could be just as good with the crushed tomatoes and I think I was right!

You could probably use a can of diced tomatoes instead of the fresh (but of course, that would add more liquid). And it would be DELICIOUS over pasta, but since we didn't have any of the no-carb pasta in the house, we went without. I'd love to also have this with a piece of crusty Italian bread and glass of wine!

For those on WW, the only PPV you would need to count here would be the chicken (and the spaghetti sauce if you used that), assuming you skip the pasta. Everything else is zero PPV veggies! It was SUPER filling! For those on South Beach and Atkins, I think this is also a good choice, especially if you skip the sauce with the HFCS and skip the pasta. I also bulked up the recipe with more veggies.

Overall my family of 3 gave this 2 1/2 thumbs up.... it had too many veggies for DS's taste, but he did like the meat. I cooked it for 6 hours on high and the pork was a tad dry, but the veggies were perfect. The zucchini and eggplant had NOT cooked to a total mush, as I was afraid they might.

One last FYI.... this TOTALLY filled my largest crockpot.

This earned its spot in my "Tried and True" recipe binder!.................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #153
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Sunset Favorite Onion Soup (from 1949)

4 medium onions thinly sliced
1/4 c butter
3 c beef broth
salt, pepper, worchestershire sauce to taste
4 slices french bread, toasted with butter and 1/2 T parmesan cheese

Saute the onions in butter over very low heat until they are rich golden or caramel color. Add beef broth, salt, pepper, worchestershire sauce to taste. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until onions are tender. Float toasted french bread on soup and serve. Serves 4.

260 calories according to MFP.
Guessing 4 to 5 points on WW -- I'll figure it out someday and update this.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #154
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Tarka Dal (Recipe from Foolproof Indian Cookery by Madhur Jaffrey)

75 g (3 oz) yellow split peas (skinned mung dal)
75 g (3 oz) split red lentils (masoor dal)
I often use just red lentils and just realised that I never have had split ones...
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
900 ml (1.5 pints) water
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon olive or groundnut oil (this is where I change the recipe, it works well with just 2 teaspoons of oil, I have even done it with only one teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (I love cumin, so I use more)
2 hot dried red chillies
1 garlic clove, lightly crushed but left whole, then peeled

Wash the peas and lentils in water, drain. Put peas and lentils, water and tumeric in a pot, bring to the boil. Be careful, it can easily boil over and the water is very yellow thanks to the turmeric. Turn heat down when it starts boiling, partly cover the pot and let simmer gently for 40-45 minutes until the peas and lentils are very soft. The add the salt, turn off the heat and cover the pot.

Put the oil in a small frying pan (I use a non-stick pan) and set over a medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds, the chillies and the garlic. When the garlic has browned lightly (also watch the state of the cumin seeds you don't want them to burn, just be nicely toasted), quickly add the oil with the spices to the pot with the dal, immediately put the lid back on and let it trap the aromas for a few minutes.

The chilies do add a lot of spice, so if you don't like your food hot, use only one. I also find that they burn easily and that is not good either, so sometimes I take them out earlier.

I eat the soup with yoghurt. One of my favourite winter meals!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2010 TR 2010 PTR 2011 TR Dining Reviews:2009 2008 2007
From the Sea to the World - Spring 2013 Trip Report - DCL and WDW
Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #155
lisah0711
her Disney office

Provencal Beef Stew

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 medium onions, each cut into 8 wedges
8 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 bay leaves
3 fresh thyme sprigs
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
3 cups (1-inch) slices zucchini
2 cups (1-inch) slices carrots
Preparation

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; dredge in flour. Add beef to pan; sauté 2 minutes, browning on all sides. Place beef in an electric slow cooker. Add onions and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Place onion mixture in cooker. Add broth, tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme, and tomatoes to cooker; top with zucchini and carrots. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until beef is tender. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Discard bay leaves and thyme sprigs.

6 servings (1 1/3 c)

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
Calories: 271
Fat: 8.9g
Saturated fat: 2.8g
Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
Protein: 31.1g
Carbohydrate: 16.5g
Fiber: 3.5g
Cholesterol: 86mg
Iron: 4.2mg
Sodium: 499mg
Calcium: 57mg

Lia Huber, Cooking Light
MARCH 2009
Old 10-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #156
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

updated
Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #157
pjlla
<><

Lisa..... just wanted you to know that the crockpot is ready and the beef has been browned so we can enjoy your Provencal beef stew recipe tomorrow! Really looking forward to it! I am also throwing in some sauteed mushrooms, since I don't eat much meat. I'll let you know how it goes...........P

Old 10-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #158
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

That stew looks lovely and it's the perfect time of year for it
Think I will give this a go this week
Great to see this thread becoming more active again
luvpoohandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #159
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpoohandcompany View Post
That stew looks lovely and it's the perfect time of year for it
Think I will give this a go this week
Great to see this thread becoming more active again
I can't wait to report how the stew turns out today. BTW, I want you to know that DD had just TWO requests for particular meals while home for the Columbus day holiday.... broccoli cheddar soup AND your curried carrot soup!!
......................P

Old 10-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #160
pjlla
<><

***LOW CARB BUT DEFINITELY NOT LOW CAL!!**

Healthy-Enough-For-Breakfast Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

(Adapted slightly from Lisas recipe for*Double Peanut Butter Chocolate Cups*on Thrive Style)

Yields 10 chocolate peanut butter cups

Bottom Layer:

2 tablespoons melted coconut oil

4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 packets stevia

Line a mini muffin tray with 10 paper liners.* Stir all ingredients together until smooth and divide between the 10 mini muffin wells (each should be about half full).* (Try not to dribble on the sides since it will give your candy a streaked look.)* Put the tray in the freezer on a flat surface and freeze until solid (about 15 minutes, give or take a little while depending how cold your freezer is).

Top Layer:
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil

4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 packet stevia

10 walnut halves (optional)

Stir all ingredients together (except walnut halves) until smooth and divide on top of the set chocolate mixture.* Transfer back to the freezer and freeze until partially solid (about 5 minutes), then lightly press 1 walnut half into the top of each candy (if using the walnut halves).* Return to the freezer and freeze until solid.
Store the treats in the fridge in an air-tight container between layers of wax paper.

FYI.... keep in mind while these are healthy, they are SUPER calorie dense.

A few changes I have made (the original recipe as I found it is posted above)....

sometimes we use Splenda.... top layer needs 3 packets and bottom needs 2 packets.

I also make these in regular size muffin tins... usually end up about 1/3 - 1/2 full .... one heaping tb for bottom layer and about 1/2 Tb for the top layer.... but it is definitely a "try as you go" type of thing for me.

DH really likes it when I make it with Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder. I have also made the recipe with almond butter and cashew butter, in place of the peanut butter.... but delicious with any of them.

Obviously, to keep these low carb you need to use natural SF peanut butter.

DH loves these so much I usually quadruple the recipe and make a big batch all at once!........................P

Old 10-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #161
pjlla
<><

Low carb chocolate truffles

4 tsp. cocoa powder (dark works nicely)

2 Tb. plain greek yogurt

5 +/- Tb. coconut flour

2 egg yolks

1 tsp. vanilla extract

2-3 packets of Splenda or equivalent sweetening power of xylitol

1 1/2 Tb. coconut oil

water as needed.

Extra cocoa powder for coating.

Mix everything together except for the water and "extra" cocoa powder. Add additional sweetener as desired for taste and coconut flour/water as needed to make a firm paste consistency.

Refrigerate until hard enough to roll into small balls. Coat candy balls with extra cocoa powder before serving.

FYI.... I've only made these once, so I can't say a lot about them, but I did make notes... hence the mention of "additional" sweetener, etc. ..............P

Old 11-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #162
pjlla
<><

Slow Cooker Mulligatawny Soup Recipe

The Ingredients.
serves 6

2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is okay)

1 cup peeled and chopped apple (mine were fuji)

1 cup chopped carrots

1 (15-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes

1 tablespoon dried minced onion flake

1/4 cup raisins

1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

2 teaspoons curry

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

3 cups chicken broth

1/3 cup long grain white rice (to add later)

The Directions.
Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Put the chicken thighs into the
bottom of your cooker, and add apple, carrots, the whole
can of tomatoes, onion f lakes, and raisins. Then add the
lemon juice, spices, and broth. Stir to mix the spices.
Cover and cook on low f or 8-10 hours. If you'd like, shred
the chicken with two big forks, and stir in the uncooked
rice. Flip to high f or 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender. If
you live in a high altitude, the rice will take longer and you
might want to consider using instant or already cooked
rice---it's up to you.
Ladle into soup bowls.

That is the recipe as I found it on crockpot365.blogspot.com (great website by the way!).

Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone! My changes were actually fairly minimal.

I swapped out the chicken for lean boneless pork tenderloin and the chicken broth for homemade vegetable broth, due to DS's poultry allergy. I used a few TB of chopped sweet onion since I didn't have any dried minced onion. I also did not have a fresh lemon, so I used bottled. I went light on the curry powder because the type I have now is VERY spicy. I also added a bit of salt, since my homemade vegetable stock is salt-free. And of course, I used brown rice instead of white (ick).

I did NOT add the rice to the crockpot, since DH doesn't eat it. But I did include it with my portion and DS added it to his. It was a nice touch.

That being said, it DID technically make 6 servings.... 6 small-ish servings (without the rice) and the three of us finished the entire pot. It was just enough (DS had a big slab of bread with his). If DD were here it wouldn't really have been enough. And even though I am NOT a big meat eater, I didn't feel that this had enough meat (considering it is the only protein source in the soup). I will definitely add at least 50% more meat next time.

The apples cooked down enough to be virtually undetectable when eating it, although you could definitely see them. Not sure what DS thought they were, since he isn't really a fan of apples (although he likes my homemade applesauce). And he thought that the raisins were beans.... so I give him credit for eating them without complaining, since he isn't a big bean fan.

This could be made low carb without the rice and perhaps even without the raisins, although I thought they added some extra nice sweetness.

I started it late so I cooked it for 6 hours on high instead of 8-10 on low and it was just fine. The carrots had just enough bite left so that the soup had some real texture.

It sounds odd and it a weird mix of ingredients, but you might surprise yourself and enjoy this unusual recipe... especially if you are a fan of curry.............P

Old 11-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #163
lisah0711
her Disney office

Lucy's Orange-Cranberry Chutney recipe:
1 medium orange
1/2 cup orange juice (from the orange)
1 lb. fresh cranberries
2 cups sugar
1 medium clove garlic, peeled
1/2 cup raisins (I use golden raisins)
1 whole stick cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 cup diced crystallized ginger
1/2 teaspoon liquid red pepper (Tabasco)
1 16 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained (I chop them up a bit)
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cut orange rind in slivers to make 1/4 cup. Combine slivered rind, orange juice, cranberries, sugar, raisins, ginger, curry powder, Tabasco, cinnamon & garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Continue to cook uncovered over moderate heat until cranberries pop open. Add oranges and chopped nuts. Heat thoroughly then remove from heat and allow to cool. Serve hot or cold as a condiment. Important: Discard cinnamon stick and garlic after cooking.

This will last in the refridgerator for several weeks, if you can make it last that long. I have it on everything from meat to sandwiches and even on toast.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #164
pjlla
<><

Single Serving low carb pizza crust

(can be double and poured into a large baking sheet for two or more servings!)

1/2 C almond flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 egg

1/3 C milk (whole or lowfat)

1 Tb. grated parmesan cheese

OPTIONAL: 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. italian seasoning.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking pan or equivalent size round rimmed pizza pan or other baking sheet.

Combine almond flour, salt, parmesan cheese, and optional spices. In a small cup lightly beat the egg, add the milk and then stir to combine. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.

Pour batter into greased pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10-13 minutes (dough should be fully cooked by this point). You may want to check it after 5 minutes and poke a fork into any dough bubbles that are forming.

Remove from oven, top with pizza sauce, cheese, and other desired pizza toppings. Broil until cheese is melted and toppings are heated through.

That was the recipe as I created it yesterday. But here are a few changes I'm thinking of trying.....

after the crust is cooked, I am going to remove it from the pan and place it on a pre-heated pizza stone, top it , and then put it back in the oven to broil while on the hot stone. Hoping that will crisp up the crust a bit more. I may also try just POURING the batter directly onto cool stone and then baking it. Fingers crossed that it wouldn't just dribble right off the edges!

I may also try making a few par-baked crusts in advance for the freezer, so that DH can have them handy to use whenever he would like a pizza!

As far as carbs go, the almond flour is pretty low at 6 net carbs, the egg has .4, the parmesan cheese has .2, and the milk has 3.9. So the entire crust (without the optional ingredients) has 10.5 carbs. Not too bad for a "real" crust!! And I haven't tried it, but you could make it with cream instead of mik and probably reduce the carbs a bit more.

If you are on WW, this clocks in (with whole milk) at 13 PPV. Kind of high, considering there are no toppings on this yet.

**DISCLAIMER.... I'm having some oven issues right now and this cooked quicker than I thought it would (12 minutes) so if it takes LONGER for you, don't be shocked. I'm going to get my hands on an oven thermometer soon to check my oven.

HTH......................P

Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #165
bigsis1970
Celebrating my 45th in Disney 10/10/15! Loves being Honey to the Hubs <3! What 3 trips in 2012! On the way to losing 1/3 of myself !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Single Serving low carb pizza crust

(can be double and poured into a large baking sheet for two or more servings!)

1/2 C almond flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 egg

1/3 C milk (whole or lowfat)

1 Tb. grated parmesan cheese

OPTIONAL: 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. italian seasoning.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking pan or equivalent size round rimmed pizza pan or other baking sheet.

Combine almond flour, salt, parmesan cheese, and optional spices. In a small cup lightly beat the egg, add the milk and then stir to combine. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.

Pour batter into greased pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10-13 minutes (dough should be fully cooked by this point). You may want to check it after 5 minutes and poke a fork into any dough bubbles that are forming.

Remove from oven, top with pizza sauce, cheese, and other desired pizza toppings. Broil until cheese is melted and toppings are heated through.

That was the recipe as I created it yesterday. But here are a few changes I'm thinking of trying.....

after the crust is cooked, I am going to remove it from the pan and place it on a pre-heated pizza stone, top it , and then put it back in the oven to broil while on the hot stone. Hoping that will crisp up the crust a bit more. I may also try just POURING the batter directly onto cool stone and then baking it. Fingers crossed that it wouldn't just dribble right off the edges!

I may also try making a few par-baked crusts in advance for the freezer, so that DH can have them handy to use whenever he would like a pizza!

As far as carbs go, the almond flour is pretty low at 6 net carbs, the egg has .4, the parmesan cheese has .2, and the milk has 3.9. So the entire crust (without the optional ingredients) has 10.5 carbs. Not too bad for a "real" crust!! And I haven't tried it, but you could make it with cream instead of mik and probably reduce the carbs a bit more.

If you are on WW, this clocks in (with whole milk) at 13 PPV. Kind of high, considering there are no toppings on this yet.

**DISCLAIMER.... I'm having some oven issues right now and this cooked quicker than I thought it would (12 minutes) so if it takes LONGER for you, don't be shocked. I'm going to get my hands on an oven thermometer soon to check my oven.

HTH......................P
Pam this is the one I found but have not yet tried.. it doesn't have milk

Low carb, gluten free and DELICIOUS! Can't remember where I found this recipe, but it came from a Paleo site.

2 cups Almond Meal/Flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons Olive Oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 176° C (350° F). Combine all the ingredients and mix together. If the dough seems too wet, you can add a little more cheese or almond flour.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put the dough in the center. Top with a second sheet of parchment paper and roll out to your preferred thickness. {This dough is super sticky, so don’t forget the parchment paper!} Can be rolled out super thin to make a huge pizza.

Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Then add desired toppings and bake another 15 minutes or however you like it.

If you cut it as 8 servings it is as follows:

Cals 246
Carbs 5
Fat 21
Protein 10
Sodium 76
Sugar 1

someone also said they cut the dough ball into 4 balls and made personal size crust - baked them all, ate one and put 3 in the freezer.. Michelle

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

Oct 9 - 18, 2015 Celebrating 45 Disney Style! Let's Eat Drink and be Happy!!!! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me and the Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = Aug 18, 2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: