Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #811
PlainJane
It was wonderful both times
I only throw pillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I don't know if all do, but many do or could get one from a nearby attraction if a guest had a need
Thank you!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #812
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Figured it was coming- a class action suit against Disney for discrimination as a result of the GAC change. All disabilities will be represented not just autism.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #813
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Figured it was coming- a class action suit against Disney for discrimination as a result of the GAC change. All disabilities will be represented not just autism.
You have link about it so we can see the details

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #814
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Waste of time, Too many other theme parks use the same process and have for years without being accused of discrimination.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #815
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
please start a new thread if you want to discuss this.
This thread is for how the DAS works.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #816
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The lawyer is a personal injury attorney lol

ETA: Sorry Sue. Didn't see your request until after I posted.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #817
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
please start a new thread if you want to discuss this.
This thread is for how the DAS works.
Sorry Sue
Old 10-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #818
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I find it funny too, in my experience, the GAC did make some waits shorter and some longer. But ultimately it evened out throughout the day. I think the new system will ultimately make it equal throughout the day, they just need to work kinks out like how to eliminate the extra walking, etc.
This is where planning is key. You'll have to plan on waiting nearby if you don't want extra walking.

What worked for us at the MK was I was the runner. DS had no clue I was going for a return time for him. He and dh played Sorcerers and asked to be located in Adventureland. When his portal was in Tortuga Tavern, we took a break there in the air conditioning until it was time to ride JC. After JC we went to Aladdin for a wait time. It worked out great for us as long as ds wasn't in the know that there was a time involved. For Aladdin he knew and it was a problem. We waited it out at Peco Bills and ate dinner. Rode Aladdin, then went home.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #819
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
The lawyer is a personal injury attorney lol

ETA: Sorry Sue. Didn't see your request until after I posted.
If this is all the discussion there is going to be it can stay here. LOL

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #820
LisaBi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post

This is where planning is key. You'll have to plan on waiting nearby if you don't want extra walking.

What worked for us at the MK was I was the runner. DS had no clue I was going for a return time for him. He and dh played Sorcerers and asked to be located in Adventureland. When his portal was in Tortuga Tavern, we took a break there in the air conditioning until it was time to ride JC. After JC we went to Aladdin for a wait time. It worked out great for us as long as ds wasn't in the know that there was a time involved. For Aladdin he knew and it was a problem. We waited it out at Peco Bills and ate dinner. Rode Aladdin, then went home.
Ahh....Aladdin....that one is out for us regardless of any accommodation. Even a true FOTL wouldn't get DS near it. He sees what looks like a huge crowd and won't have anything to do with it. Thank God that for the majority of attractions the line is hidden. While he does melt down with extended wait times, seeing a crowd or long line is the worst of it for him. I think if I play it smart between FP and DAS I should be able to make it work without too much criss-crossing. He is OK with a return time as long as we can do something else he wants in the meantime. Last trip he did good with "we'll get a ticket to ride Space Mountain later" and then go ride Buzz and maybe get a snack.

The CM's will surely get a chuckle out of his DAS card if we have to use it....SpaceM, Buzz, POTC, repeat. If MK had nothing but those three attractions he would be happy.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #821
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBi View Post
Ahh....Aladdin....that one is out for us regardless of any accommodation. Even a true FOTL wouldn't get DS near it. He sees what looks like a huge crowd and won't have anything to do with it. Thank God that for the majority of attractions the line is hidden. While he does melt down with extended wait times, seeing a crowd or long line is the worst of it for him. I think if I play it smart between FP and DAS I should be able to make it work without too much criss-crossing. He is OK with a return time as long as we can do something else he wants in the meantime. Last trip he did good with "we'll get a ticket to ride Space Mountain later" and then go ride Buzz and maybe get a snack.

The CM's will surely get a chuckle out of his DAS card if we have to use it....SpaceM, Buzz, POTC, repeat. If MK had nothing but those three attractions he would be happy.
For my son, it's POTC he avoids like the plague, too dark.

I noticed that most of the FP+ lines go along the regular lines without all that winding back and forth.

The day after Columbus Day was fairly crowded at Epcot. When I got the return time for Character Spot, the entrance was moved to where the exit use to be. The FP+ Entrance looked like it was sandwiched between the windows and the standby queue. We never made it to our return time, so I don't know if the queue actually was set up that way. It did look like a sea of people though. Before, the alternate entrance was away from the queue.

My son's DAS only has three return times written on it after 3 visits. 2 crossed out and one not.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #822
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

"Stamina and endurance are not a disability"

I just wanted to clarify that while this can be true it also can be false, there are plenty of circumstance where if this is that manifestation of a disability that if would be considered a accomadatable situation under ADA. Lots of factor including duration of the existence of the condition, and if it impacts major life functions on a day to day basis are involved in determining this.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #823
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormde View Post
"Stamina and endurance are not a disability"

I just wanted to clarify that while this can be true it also can be false, there are plenty of circumstance where if this is that manifestation of a disability that if would be considered a accomadatable situation under ADA. Lots of factor including duration of the existence of the condition, and if it impacts major life functions on a day to day basis are involved in determining this.
And the accommodation would be a wheelchair or ECV.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Old 10-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #824
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck

And the accommodation would be a wheelchair or ECV.
Yes, barring other factors that would make this unsafe or impractical. If there is no over in the party that can physically push a wheelchair, this would not be a practical solution and there are conditions that might make it unsafe to operate an ECV and by all accounts Disney is being reasonable about making accommodations in such cases. So I don't think we can say that this is the only accommodation that will be provided in these cases, just that it is if it is a reasonable accomodation.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #825
Poohsmommi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ridiculous. I hope it is thrown out.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: