Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #796
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
It a card that is a little bigger then fast pass This is a pic of the one for tommorow land speed way it will say the attraction name on it. https://mobile.twitter.com/WDWNT/med...66026459389953
thank you so much how helpful! Paula
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 10-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #797
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsGal View Post
Don't you see what you're saying? "We don't need a wheelchair if they just let us cut in front of everyone else!"

"We don't need a wheelchair if you just let us get through the park in a 4 hour day instead of an 8 hour day!"

I will never understand this mentality.
Me either.

My mom has some stamina problems but not enough for a mobility device (at least according to her), so we cut our day short, we utilize fast pass and we plan. If we did need a chair we'd rent one. That's OUR responsibility, not Disney's.

We would have asked for a GAC to avoid stairs, but we won't be asking for a DAS since DAS is not for mobility/stamina related that's what FP and planning are for. We don't need the line to be a shorter wait time to avoid stairs.

My only question at this point is if we should get a FP and when it's time then asking to avoid stairs or if I should talk to the CM first about avoiding stairs and then ask for a return time at the attraction. I'd hate to get and use a FP then get to the CM and be told they are giving me a return time so that we can avoid stairs. (either one will be a wait, but don't want to make a mistake and wait twice if that makes sense)

Last edited by bookgirl; 10-19-2013 at 11:56 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #798
ShhhQ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
It a card that is a little bigger then fast pass

This is a pic of the one for tommorow land speed way it will say the attraction name on it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WDWNT/med...66026459389953
Sorry... they won't let me see this because I don't have a twitter account... don't really plan on getting one either (especially not to just look at a pic)

Sad to say that a trip to Disney and the scariest ride you went on was a bus ride!!!
Enjoy your vacation, you may never know when your last vacation will end up being your LAST VACATION!!
Old 10-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #799
andersonsc
Mouseketeer

the thing that gets me is the GAC users who now admit to getting to the front of the line with the GAC now complaining about having to wait. I see things written that mention how they only get to spend so many hours in the park in a day and can't do all they used to. Many say how they can't do what others can do in 8-12 hours.

I can't remember the last time (if ever) we spent 8-12 hours at a park. Does Disney owe us a special pass because when we first started going our kids were small and squirmy and no way able to make it all day. we would go back to the room when they were tired. Maybe or maybe not go back to the parks later. How is this different from the disabled park visitor only having a few hours?

Now that the kids are bigger - so are my husband and I!!! Our stamina isn't what it used to be. Our feet ache sooner then they used to. we never can keep walking all day in a park. So again, the people that say they don't get as many hours at the park and can't do as much - at least they can do something while waiting for their DAS time. We just have to wait in line!

(oh, and for the record - we have two with diagnosis that are often mentioned as needing accommodations. Didn't know GAC existed until recently so never used it. We did what we could, and didn't expect Disney to accommodate every issue we had)

Last edited by andersonsc; 10-19-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #800
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonsc View Post
the thing that gets me is the GAC users who now admit to getting to the front of the line with the GAC now complaining about having to wait.
Just for the record the only people who got front of the line access were and still are make a wish kids. A GAC got you in the fastpass line without a fastpass.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #801
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShhhQ

Sorry... they won't let me see this because I don't have a twitter account... don't really plan on getting one either (especially not to just look at a pic)
I don't have a twitter account, the link works fine on my phone.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
Old 10-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #802
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Lets not turn it into a debate and give the mods work to do.

Per the DAS mobility issues can be resolved with a mobility device. If you feel it is a money grab you can rent from an outside company or bring your own.

GAC was issue for a lot of things it wasnt necessarily meant for which is part of the reason it is being revamped. Getting one previously doesnt necessarily mean those same factors qualify for a DAS.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #803
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan
Just for the record the only people who got front of the line access were and still are make a wish kids. A GAC got you in the fastpass line without a fastpass.
Its just a loose term. Getting a 10 min wait over 60 is essentially going to the front of the line. Its not literal.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #804
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
That's kind of splitting hairs don't you think. When instead of waiting two hour for tsmm someone can get on in less than ten minutes with the right gac. It's as close as a fotl pass as you can get without shelling out hundreds for a VIP tour
Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #805
andersonsc
Mouseketeer

yes, that's what I meant. I know GAC didn't get literal front of line but 20 min is a lot better then 60+ min!!

It's really the comment that some people can't stay all day in the park and therefore the DAS doesn't work b/c it involves waiting. Well, I think there is a lot of people (not disabled) who can't stay all day in a park for one reason or another.

If people are going to decide not use a wheelchair, then it limits their time in the park because they tire from the walking. I don't think they should get a DAS because there are way to meet their needs if stamina or walking is the issue.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #806
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

My mom tires easily because of her age. Does she qualify for a DAS? OF COURSE NOT. We plan around it, take breaks to avoid the afternoon heat and we utilize fastpasses to make it all work.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #807
samnbilly
Loves the GF and the Castle.All nurses go to heaven. Has a shoe obsession

I'm curious how others with a disability do things in their normal life, away from Disney attractions, sparkling parades & all the other amazing things it comes with.

I have a disability just like many others that travel to WDW & DL.

When I'm at home, I can't do a full order at the grocery store (DH goes shopping), I don't have the ability to do anything that requires a full day.
I'm on SSD. I don't work anymore ;( I'm still young, I'm a Mother to teens that assist me.

Even before I acquired this disability, we never went RD to close at WDW. It's exhausting..for anyone. We would spend part of the day, do lunch, enjoy the pool & back in the evening for a bit.

The point I'm making, is when you have a disability, you have to plan your day. You get tired more easily & with or without a scooter or wheelchair, WDW is a long day.

All of our lives with the disability that we have, it requires change. This is no different.

We shouldn't be able to do more than the average person who doesn't have a disability. I'm thankful that they've put a new system in place. I've never had to use the old system per-se, but if we went to an attraction, we waited until we were able to split over into where the FP ppl were waiting, just to give me a bit extra time to board the ride (it was our turn)

I'm thankful that I'll be able to receive a return pass that enables me to go to the First Aid station if need be, I can rest if I need to, & my family can go on attractions that I can't. That surprises me a bit that I don't hear about ppl with disabilities not being able to go on some of the attractions? I hear ppl talk about stairs in certain areas, but maybe it's just not something that's mentioned in this thread.

Everyone has to make modifications in real life.
Disney is no different..it's just a lot more fun!!
Oct.04-GF-S.L./BC-concierge
Aug. 05-BC/ AKL
Oct. 06- off site
Oct. 08-BC
Oct. 13 BWI CL

Old 10-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #808
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShhhQ View Post

Sorry I double check it the first time gave me a hard time then fixed and it worked. When I tried it it put a screen up where on the top it said skip is that the same screen you get. If you skip it it should let you see it. Again I am sorry I will see if their another photo I can use.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #809
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Is this an option at most attractions?

For someone who can walk, but not stand for long periods of time it sounds like a good option, especially since not every ride has a long wait. You could just push it in lines and sit in it during the standing only portions.
I don't know if all do, but many do or could get one from a nearby attraction if a guest had a need

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 10-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #810
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurBigTrip

Well said!
I find it funny too, in my experience, the GAC did make some waits shorter and some longer. But ultimately it evened out throughout the day. I think the new system will ultimately make it equal throughout the day, they just need to work kinks out like how to eliminate the extra walking, etc.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: