DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
GiantsNiners11
DVC Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydad33 View Post
I have been considering DVC for four years, and am more familiar with the options than I may have come across. Although I did go into the presentation having not researched current point prices direct vs. resale in over six months. My sales rep overstated the current situation when I asked about the resale market and inferred that Disney is now excercising ROFR much more than in the past. While that may be true, it does not seem to be true specific to AKV from what I have been reading on these boards today.

In addition to liking the flexibility of the various collections(I have researched these and while I would never cruise with points, there are a few reasonable options we may use down the line), I also wanted to finance for a one year period only. While I know any financial advisor would say never to do this, for us it made sense as we have predictable income coming in mid 2014 that will allow us to completely pay it off, yet experience the benefits of the points right away.

I may still be misunderstanding the month and date for our use year, but it does sound like an advantage to me. By dating it to April (as opposed to October for example), my points 2014 points will come through six months sooner and we can plan a very big vacation for next fall using 2013 and 2014 points. "Back dating" was my terminology - not the sales rep's. This was sold as a promotional benefit. Is April always the month in which AKV is sold?

I will be looking at resale rates throughout this week to consider that option.

On another note, what opinions do you have regarding buying non-discounted GFV instead of our discounted AKV? Would that be a better purchase since selling those points - if we ever needed to consider selling - would most likely demand a better rate? Or should we wait for those to go on the resale market a few years down the line? In addition GFV would be our favorite destination once complete, and I imagine without owning there, it would be a long time before points from other resorts would be able to secure reservations there.
My opinion would be to buy GFV if you have to buy direct. It will likely hold its value longer due to its more limited availability and location. It is also not really available on the resale market. AKV is a large resort and the biggest advantage to owning there is the access to the concierge/value rooms at 11 months. Other than that, you don't really need the 11 month window there so I'd opt for GFV direct if DIRECT is the way you are going to go.

The financing thing makes sense and I totally get that. Still, really think about how much you are paying EXTRA to get those points now. It's not just the short term financing, it's the difference between resale and direct.

On 200 points, if you buy direct, you're paying $15000 more plus interest just to have access to those points "now". That's a pretty penny for just a half year!!! If you waited until you get this guaranteed predictable income, you can use that money to buy resale AKV and get a lot more bang for your buck.

If direct is the way you decide, GFV is probably the smarter buy right now if you love it there.

Buy where you want to stay.
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #17
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Your understanding of UY is still a little off. Think of the UY as a shifted calendar. The first 8 months of the UY you can bank points into the next UY. Months 9 - 12 you have to use them or lose them.

Points have to be available for your reservation dates, not your booking dates.

We hate hot weather and we own an April contract and several October contracts. We prefer the October contract UY. We vacation October - May each UY, and twice we had to cancel our December vacations, once due to a death in the family and once due to a forced job location change. We banked our points and used them the following UY. If we had used the April points for those reservations we would have to vacation before the end of March or we would have lost the points. After a death and moving to a new town, taking a WDW vacation was the last thing on our minds.

It's a little free added insurance.

Disney has all UY's available for sale, but they seem to want to sell more of one UY month than the others and they don't really tell you about your options. They have a "they didn't ask so I won't tell policy".

DVC really is a good way to stay in larger rooms at a discounted price but there are rules, policies, strategies, and a lot of information to learn. To make it more of a challenge we have had 3 recent DVD/DVC executive changes as well as policy and rule changes to deal with.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #18
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

You have to remember that all the perks for direct buyers could disappear tomorrow. The number of points needed for that special collection could increase by 25% if Disney decides they want more points for the reservation. All you are guaranteed is a DVC villa. That's it. Direct or resale.

Also, by getting an April UY, you lost nearly six months to use those points. You'll need to bank them before Dec 1 if you plan to use them in your April 2014 UY.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #19
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydad33 View Post
I may still be misunderstanding the month and date for our use year, but it does sound like an advantage to me. By dating it to April (as opposed to October for example), my points 2014 points will come through six months sooner and we can plan a very big vacation for next fall using 2013 and 2014 points. "Back dating" was my terminology - not the sales rep's. This was sold as a promotional benefit. Is April always the month in which AKV is sold?

I will be looking at resale rates throughout this week to consider that option.

On another note, what opinions do you have regarding buying non-discounted GFV instead of our discounted AKV? Would that be a better purchase since selling those points - if we ever needed to consider selling - would most likely demand a better rate? Or should we wait for those to go on the resale market a few years down the line? In addition GFV would be our favorite destination once complete, and I imagine without owning there, it would be a long time before points from other resorts would be able to secure reservations there.
If you bought a Sept or Oct UY you still could use your 2013 and 2014 points for a vacation next year. IMO it's more important to think about the long term for the "insurance" that can be provided with the proper UY. April works but it isn't the most ideal for you.

Buying AKV direct means that the second you close you've lost at least 30%-40% if you needed to sell immediately. At the moment with VGF being so new and virtually nothing available resale you would lose much less. And considering that it is a much smaller resort it's reasonable to assume it will hold it's value better longer.

For AKV there are very very few good arguments to buy direct and to use in other collections is not one. You state that you only are doing that to have the option and that's an expensive cost for an option. Also, the point cost of using outside of DVC is high - have you even bought enough points to use it for other things? If not then it's an expensive payment for an option that may not even be possible.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Sigh.

Everytime someone comes on DIS and excitedly posts that they just bought DVC, people start in about "Why did you buy direct?" and "Why didn't you buy resale?"

We bought direct.
Resale makes us nervous.
Yes, it's a trust thing.
Yes, it's a "not all points are the same" thing.
Yes, we feel 100% comfortable with the decision we made.

OP, it sounds like you have done your research. It soulnds like you understand what you bought. If you are hapy with your purchase, please do not let people get you down about resale vs. direct. It's a choice and it has pluses and minuses either way.

Welcome home!

- Dreams (AKV owner who LOVES her DVC direct purchase)

P.S. Yes, I bought my house direct as well.

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #21
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

If you have unlimited choice in selecting UY, selecting a UY a month or two prior to your normal vacationing period makes sense. (Of course, your "normal vacationing period" may change as your family ages and interests change.)

But to be honest, I think UY gets more attention than it deserves here. We tend to microscopically examine every feature of DVC as if everything was critical.

UY is not, IMHO. It's just something you manage -- like booking windows, banking, borrowing, transferring, etc.

Our UY was October -- for an account with three families, all with school-aged kids, and with one Mom who is a teacher. Needless to say, the vast majority of our vacations were taken after our banking deadline. In more than 30 trips, we never had a problem...including the time one of my daughters canceled a reservation inside of 30 days and the points went into holding with only two months left in our UY. We just educated ourselves and managed accordingly.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #22
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
Sigh.

Everytime someone comes on DIS and excitedly posts that they just bought DVC, people start in about "Why did you buy direct?" and "Why didn't you buy resale?"...
I think you are a bit sensitive. I actually see it as "Did you know you could get the same thing by buying resale and save money? You are still in a position to rescind your purchase if you want to consider a resale."

Old 10-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
I think you are a bit sensitive.
Nope, not sensitive, just noting an observation of what occurs anytime someone posts they bought direct.

Quote:
I actually see it as "Did you know you could get the same thing by buying resale and save money?...."
Excellent example, thank you.

This is EXACTLY my point. Someone who buys direct is NOT getting "the same thing by buying resale...." And that's pretty important, imo.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #24
DisK
Mouseketeer

I have to agree with Disney Dreams here. You'd like to think (and there is always exceptions) that if you're buying something like this, you'd do some research. My fiance and I knew we were going direct. We preferred dealing with Disney. We wanted VGF. We are very very happy. We knew all about the resale, and had done our homework.....after which, we were still 100% happy paying more to deal with Disney.

DVC Members at The Villa's at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort - October 2013!

Disney Trips - 24
DisK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #25
Deb & Bill

Quote:
...This is EXACTLY my point. Someone who buys direct is NOT getting "the same thing by buying resale...." And that's pretty important, imo.

- Dreams
But you are getting the same thing as resale. All you are guaranteed is staying at DVC resorts. Everything else could be gone tomorrow.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #26
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

We bought AKV direct in 2008. I heard of resale but didn't know much about it. As another mentioned here I had a comfort level buying from Disney and otherwise would not have considers a timeshare. Since then, we decided to add on this year and bought BWV resale with a different UY. We will use our points there for the first time in March 2014. It does take some planning. Not just because of a different UY but also not enough points for the number of days wanted. I ended up booking 3 nights with BWV at 11 month mark, then booking 3 more with my AKV points at 7 month mark without a problem. I then linked the two together and was told we would not have to change rooms and I did not transfer any points.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #27
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfanforlife View Post
We bought AKV direct in 2008. I heard of resale but didn't know much about it. As another mentioned here I had a comfort level buying from Disney and otherwise would not have considers a timeshare. Since then, we decided to add on this year and bought BWV resale with a different UY. We will use our points there for the first time in March 2014. It does take some planning. Not just because of a different UY but also not enough points for the number of days wanted. I ended up booking 3 nights with BWV at 11 month mark, then booking 3 more with my AKV points at 7 month mark without a problem.
The only problem will be it will be two separate reservations, even if they are linked. You'll have to check out and check back in. And, hopefully, they will have you blocked into the same villa.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #28
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
If you have unlimited choice in selecting UY, selecting a UY a month or two prior to your normal vacationing period makes sense. (Of course, your "normal vacationing period" may change as your family ages and interests change.)

But to be honest, I think UY gets more attention than it deserves here. We tend to microscopically examine every feature of DVC as if everything was critical.

UY is not, IMHO.
It's just something you manage -- like booking windows, banking, borrowing, transferring, etc.

Our UY was October -- for an account with three families, all with school-aged kids, and with one Mom who is a teacher. Needless to say, the vast majority of our vacations were taken after our banking deadline. In more than 30 trips, we never had a problem...including the time one of my daughters canceled a reservation inside of 30 days and the points went into holding with only two months left in our UY. We just educated ourselves and managed accordingly.
If you can get a UY that allows for the best options in case of last minute cancellation then it's prudent IMO to get it - especially when buying direct and you are able to get any that you want. All it takes is one emergency and cancellation of one trip to make it very worthwhile to have paid attention to that detail. We've owned 5 1/2 years now and had 2 late cancellations due to deaths in the family. I was very happy to have lots of time to work with the holding points rather than dealing with it on top of everything else. If we lived in FL or closer it would probably be less relevant but I'd still prefer to have a UY that gave us the best options rather than just ignore it or consider it an insignificant detail.

Quote:
Sigh.

Everytime someone comes on DIS and excitedly posts that they just bought DVC, people start in about "Why did you buy direct?" and "Why didn't you buy resale?"
However this person came with a question about UY and then later shared they would be looking to add on resale - they weren't just looking for congratulations. From what I see the type of posts you reference do tend to simply get that - congratulations.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #29
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The only problem will be it will be two separate reservations, even if they are linked. You'll have to check out and check back in. And, hopefully, they will have you blocked into the same villa.
True, although the MS agent I spoke to told me we would not have to change rooms. I will let you know what happens. If we have to, then I will know in the future to transfer points! I just figured keep it simpler if I didn't have to.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #30
disneydad33
Earning My Ears

I appreciate everyone's feedback!
disneydad33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: