Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

I'm Gonna Find the Magic in These Magic Bands!! - A Nov 13 PTR - Just Back!

Hello all!

I could not resist starting a PTR for my upcoming trip! No one wants to talk about Disney with me in real life anymore, so I figured maybe someone here would be excited with me; if not, at least I'll be able to ramble to myself until I get to go, and then I'll come back and start my TR (which may ALSO be rambling to myself!).

This will be my 5th trip since November 2010.

I went with my ex-DBF in November 2010. We went and saw the Osborne lights and visited the parks when they were all nice and decorated for Christmas. It was my first visit to WDW since 2000.

In October of 2011, I went with my mom. I surprised her with a stay at the CR!

In January 2012, I took my first solo trip, staying at AKL:

And in September 2012, I went back with my Mom; we stayed at YC:

Hm, she seems to be unhappy with me in that picture.....

This trip was decided fairly last-minute. I had decided NOT to take a vacation this year, and to not go back to WDW until October 2014 with Mom, when the 7 Dwarves coaster will be finished and all this MB/FP+ hoopla figured out.

So what happened?

I started really wondering why I wasn't going on vacation; I have the money, I have the PTO at work, I have the easy ability. I have no one to worry about - I don't have kids or a DH and my cat is fairly self-sufficient. It started looking like I was just not going on vacation because ... I had decided not to.

Here's the cat, by the way:

Some different news stories broke while I was considering if I was really just going to pass up traveling for a stay-at-home vacation this year. I decided that you never know what's going to happen tomorrow, and I should make plans to go somewhere and just GO.

I thought about a few different places. Maybe back to Europe? My good friend was getting married in Germany (she's German; we met while I was in school there), so it would be impossible to go, as much as I wanted to be at her wedding - I wouldn't want to stay at her house and be a distraction during such an important time, and I wouldn't want to pay an extra few thousand EURO to stay in a hotel instead of with her.

I thought of Hawaii. I have a friend who lives on the big island. But right before deciding, he wrote me to say he'd actually be in the Chicago area at the time of my trip! That's out.

I considered some other places as well, but in the end I want to relax and get away and have FUN. So guess where I'm going!

As a plus, I can get an AP to cover my trip with Ma next fall. So in a way, I'm getting two cheaper trips instead of just one regular-sized trip.

My dates are 11/12 - 11/16 = my flight gets in early on Tuesday and leaves late Saturday night, so I get 4 nights and 5 FULL days at the world. I am staying at Pop Century on an AP discount!:

I am looking forward to heading over to check out AoA if I ever get any free time. I'm not sure about the free time, because I'm trying out MB and FP+ this trip! More about that in the next post; this one is getting too long!

Last edited by ZehnJahren; 11-16-2013 at 11:53 PM.
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

WOoHOOO!!! I'm here!!! Going back to read!
BridgetR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Step 1: Magic Bands

Ah Magic Bands! FP+!

How they've been debated!

I, for one, am pretty ok with MBs and FP+ = that is, as long as I can double dip so I'm not stuck with only 3 FP for the day. I've been assured by CMs that this is the case, so I'm IN.

As such, even though I was never invited I stalked MDE everyday until I could customize them!

I ordered my tickets from UT - once those arrived, I linked them to my MB and waited.

All that waiting paid off - lookit what came in the mail today!

Starting to open the box! (See my Disney Dooney chilling out in the seat next to the box?? I have a little DDB obsession.)

A box inside a box! And next?:

MAGIC BAND!

I heavily debated between my favorite color (red) and the green (my dad's favorite, and far cheerier). I chose the green because of the cheery factor; I hope to get a red in the future.

A little more info:
I like to take EVERYTHING apart and put it back together. After I took the box top off, I looked inside (eventually).

I took the bottom out (the part with the MB in it), and found this card:

I have tiny children's wrists, so I had to take my MB apart. Here's the start:

Here's what they look like separated:

All done! And it fits nice!

SO, what FP+ did I schedule?

Tuesday, I scheduled at HS. I'll be riding TSMM and ToT that night, with a FANTASMIC FP+!!! I've NEVER seen this show and always wanted to, but I just can't do that line!

Wednesday night I'll be heading to MK - I've got HM, BTMRR, and SM on my list.

Thursday I'll be at the MVMCP so I got FP a little earlier for MK - I've got SM, PP, and HM.

Friday I'm heading to Epcot at night and all the FP will be gone, so I've got Soarin' (not a big fan, but I haven't ridden in two years so I guess I'll go again), TT, and Illuminations FP+. My favorite rides in Epcot are SE (usually a walk on), the Mexico ride (walk-on), and TT (single rider line please), so I don't' really need FP here.

Finally, Saturday I'm scheduled to do HS in the morning. TOT, TSMM, and Star Tours are on the schedule for FP+ today!

Last edited by ZehnJahren; 10-16-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

WOW! I was first!! I'm never ever first!!

I don't blame you for wanting to go somewhere! I just wish your dates matched mine!

Love the pic of you and your mom in Space Mountain!

AOA is really neat! Hopefully you will get time to go to it!

Can't wait to hear more about your trip.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Step 2: Life's "Other Plans"

Of course, usually when I have a trip planned, there has to be at least ONE "big thing" that must take place before I leave.

For example, before my Nov '10 trip, I had to have a root canal.

For this trip, I've got two fairly big things going on.

One of my good friends is getting married!

Also, I teach a horror movie class at the community college in October (continuing education), so I have to teach that.

I don't really have any pictures to go along with either of these things, so here's the bus stop at MK decked out in Halloween colors!

My class is being extended this year, so I have to come up with another half hour of material. Not a big deal at all; I'm adding some movie clips in and then I'll take a 10 minute break since the class is so long and VOILA.

As for my friend who is getting married, she is super low maintenance. I've asked her if there's anything I can do for her, but she's already got everything under control (not surprised, she's on top of her game with EVERYTHING!). So we're meeting for lunch next week as a break before her big day.

Her wedding is 10/26 and my class is 10/28, and then I'll just be two weeks away from WDW!

Of course, there's Halloween:

But I don't do anything for Halloween, so that's not a big deal for me.

And then, there's close at work. But we just got through quarter close so October close will not be a big deal.

Other than that, I plan on getting the nasal mist for the flu (hoping to avoid setting sick this year), and I'll try not to get sick before leaving for WDW (I've been on antibiotics for the last three trips BEFORE even leaving home!). I get sinus infections and on my 10/12 trip actually ended up having an allergic reaction to the AB they put me on the morning of my flight. THAT was NOT fun.

Last edited by ZehnJahren; 10-16-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetR3 View Post
WOW! I was first!! I'm never ever first!!

I don't blame you for wanting to go somewhere! I just wish your dates matched mine!

Love the pic of you and your mom in Space Mountain!

AOA is really neat! Hopefully you will get time to go to it!

Can't wait to hear more about your trip.
Hey wow, you're REALLY FAST! You're first AND second.

I'm glad I decided to go. I waffle a little back and forth thinking "am I SURE I want to go back to Disney?" but I know that I'll be super excited once I'm there - I just really wanted to go to Germany. Traveling alone is sad sometimes too, so I just need to get over that hump. I know some Disney CMs (used to work with them) so as for now we're planning on meeting up as well while I'm down there.

I've seen all the AoA pics, so I'd like to see it in person. With being right across the lake, I hope I will! I build nap time into my plans (I love Disney naps!!! I don't get to nap in my everyday life and it's something I cherish on vacation!), so I know I'll be going back to the resort. I'm hoping to pop over for lunch.

My mom is a jokester!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

That is a very different class! Is it only one day - the 28th?

Here's some in hopes that you don't get sick or need antibiotics before your big trip!!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetR3 View Post
That is a very different class! Is it only one day - the 28th?

Here's some in hopes that you don't get sick or need antibiotics before your big trip!!
Yes - it is a 2 1/2 hour class about horror movies that caused public reactions when they came out. Movies like Exorcist or Blair Witch - movies that caused people to freak out. I did my thesis on anthropology and people's relationships to the paranormal, so stuff like that really interests me - not the movies so much as people's reactions to them.

Thanks for the I need as much as I can get. I work at a corporate job and there are always a ton of sick people starting in September. It's a chorus of sneezing and coughing as you walk down the aisles!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

I'm here too! Have to go back to catch all up.
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Ok now I'm all caught up!
Great plans, I love that you decided to just go! You're so right, you never know what could happen.
Yay for Pop! I love that hotel. Definitely have a soft spot in my heart reserved for it.
teekathepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Ok now I'm all caught up!
Great plans, I love that you decided to just go! You're so right, you never know what could happen.
Yay for Pop! I love that hotel. Definitely have a soft spot in my heart reserved for it.
I'll tell you what, my January solo trip was booked and paid for less than 2 weeks in advance (air fare and point rental for AKL) and that was a LOT easier than this has been! I booked in September and the wait for November seems like it is taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R. I like to either book 7-12 months in advance or right beforehand; this two-months-ahead is terrible!

My ma and I are already planning our October 14 stay (we're staying at a timeshare in Orlando for FREE; two bedroom, full kitchen, looking forward to it!). We're right now in the process of deciding what days and what timeshare. I sent her the pics of my MB when I got it and we're both hoping that the MB and FP+ are rolled out to everyone by next fall. Ugh, who knows!

We might also do one night at CR next year, just to have two days to walk to MK. We really liked CR when we stayed there.

She'll actually be in Florida in the Keys the same week I'm in Orlando; she asked me if I wanted to come to Palm Beach on Thursday night and go out on the boat in the Gulf on Friday. I told her "mom, that's MVMCP night!" She said she figured I wouldn't want to pass that up!
Old 10-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
crocko's wife
Disney stickers cost us a DVC fortune, but no one is mad

My family will be at MVMCP the same night as you!
June 2001 Disney Honeymoon, Caribbean Beach ~~ May 2002 Road-trip, All-Star Movies ~~ Dec. 2008 Crocko and Wife Pre-Trip and MVMCP, Saratoga Springs ~~ Sep. 2009 Kids' First Trip, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Kidani Village ~~ Nov. 2009 Crocko and Wife, Old Key West ~~ Nov. 2010 Family Vacation, Beach Club Villas ~~ May 2011 Flower and Garden Festival Crocko and Wife, Wilderness Lodge Villas ~~ Oct. 2011 One more trip before Baby Brother is here, Beach Club Villas ~~ Nov. 2013 It's been two LONG years and Baby's first trip, Bay Lake Tower and Wilderness Lodge Villas
crocko's wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocko's wife View Post
My family will be at MVMCP the same night as you!
Oh! How exciting!! Teekathepony is going to be there that night too! I'm hoping it won't be too crazy with both MK closing "early" and HS closing WAAAY early! I hope Epcot will be busy instead.

How many people are you going to have there that night? Have you been before? I went to MNSSHP before; I was underwhelmed (except for the Headless Horseman) but I love LOVE Christmas so I'm really looking forward to this one. Snow on Main Street? Characters dressed in their Christmas best? MK at night with Christmas decorations? Yes please!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
khaleesi
Life is a Special Occasion

Followed you over from Teekathepony's report

That class sounds really cool. I don't really like horror-type stuff, but I think it's incredibly interesting that you teach a class on it! I've taken a couple community ed classes and the most recent one I signed up for was just canceled due to low enrollment. Boo.

I love your kitty cat!

Trying hard to figure out a way to get to The World in December 2015. Stay tuned!

Love and pixie dust,
Sue
khaleesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaleesi View Post
Followed you over from Teekathepony's report

That class sounds really cool. I don't really like horror-type stuff, but I think it's incredibly interesting that you teach a class on it! I've taken a couple community ed classes and the most recent one I signed up for was just canceled due to low enrollment. Boo.

I love your kitty cat!
I was supposed to teach a class that was cancelled for low enrollment. I love teaching and taking classes too; I took a Chinese class a couple of semesters ago and loved it. I'm a language fanatic, so I was enthralled!

Nice name - I read the Game of Thrones series but BOY was it VIOLENT! I tried to watch the show and had to stop after episode 6, but I did manage to make it through the books! Though they weren't much less violent! I can read it, I just can't watch it.

Thanks for the kitty compliments; he's definitely my pal. He's a big cat, too; he likes to act like a dog. If I don't talk to him right away when I get home from work (he waits for me at the door), he follows me around until I pet him.

I'm going to go check out your PTR!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: