DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFlaDisneyfans View Post
A couple of additional factors for thought. If Poly is high on the list and you plan every 3rd year then it may very well be completed for your next trip and be a viable purchase option.

What is your proximity to Disney? Are travel costs a major factor. If you are relatively close and might do spur of the moment trips/dont plan 11 months or more out then the home resort bonus isnt that important.

While studios are good for now, think 10 or so years down the road and ask if you might need a more economical point chart for a 1 bedroom. Also, dont discount a 1 bedroom just for a couple. Once you stay in one some folks find it hard to go back to a studio. This is a factor when looking at point charts for BCV versus BWL and VWL.

Hope this helps.
Sound advice. We started with 200 when we had only one child and figured studios would be fine. Fast forward one year when we tried out a one bedroom. First add on. Fast forward a few more years and we had twins!! Next add on. Now we own 860 points and wouldn't dream of a studio for more than a couple of night when it is just the two us.

I think akl is a great value point wise. It is also great that we get by in a one br there. Bay lake is the same but pricier per point and we don't like it as much as akl. We also own at ssr but it is less favourable for us because we need a two bedroom there. Keep your future needs in mind when buying.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdring269 View Post
Nabas, I appreciate the advice. I think what you've put here is especially good information as we know from our way of doing Disney that the room type just isn't important to us. Having the option to book a room for 78 points a week in October is a powerful advantage. And that's not even counting the fact that the buy in at BWV is tremendously less than BCV currently.

We don't spend a ton of time at the pool on these trips so not sure the difference between SAB and the clown pool are as important to us as shaving some walking time off of the journey to HS.
Certainly, the walk back from DHS to BWV is shorter than to BCV. (BTW, we own at both.) Conversely, the walk back to BCV from Epcot is shorter. Which is "better" is a matter of personal preference.

If you ever have children, they might truly love Stormalong Bay (SAB) whereas some are creeped by BWV's clown slide.

IMHO, the Standard View Studio at BWV is one of the most difficult to book because it's so cheap. Setting aside purchase price, 78 points for a week in a BWV Studio during F&WF is an incredible value, even if it does mean looking at a parking lot. IMHO, only AKV (we also own there) comes close in terms of value and, given BWV's superior location, a Standard View Studio at BWV wins hands-down.

Long term, if you really love WDW, then you'll almost certainly get "add-on-itis" at some point and want to add points somewhere. We've never added at the same resort because we like to take advantage of the 11-month booking window when possible. My point is, focus on what you think you'll want to do for the next 3-to-5 years. Long term, your plans will change.

In terms of booking at VWL, VWL is very small and getting a Studio there can be difficult at the 7-month window. Only a few years ago it was the only Magic Kingdom area DVC. Yet with DVCs soon opening at all 3 Monorail Resorts, my prediction is that VWL will become easier to book going forward.

Getting into pure speculation, two of the most talked about locations for a future DVC resort are on Seven Seas Lagoon (between the TTC and the Contemporary) and on Bay Lake (across from the Wilderness Lodges). Both locations were targeted for hotels way back in the 1960s as part of WDW's original plans. Again, if either location ever came to fruition, then that would be yet another DVC in the Magic Kingdom area, perhaps making VWL that much more easier to book.

Last edited by Nabas; 10-12-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
PlutoFan10
Earning My Ears

One more thing to add. Many of us had similar plans when buying DVC -- we would go to WDW every few years. Well, once you go as a member and start seeing those points come into your account, it's very hard not to go at LEAST once every year! These reactions result in "addonitis" and we succumbed, happily.
PlutoFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #19
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I don't know how old you are but one thing to consider is BWV, BCV, VWL expire in 2042. Take a look at the DVC Resource thread to get more specific dates for all the resorts:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2532406
Old 10-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
glamdring269
Mouseketeer

Lots of good advice to keep in mind throughout this discussion. I appreciate all of it. Length of contract is definitely something worth keeping in mind when buying in to these resorts and is one factor I do want to consider. This is really a tough call in terms of home resorts. Is this usually the hardest part for most? Deciding where to buy considering I assume most of you can find pros/cons to any of the resorts?
glamdring269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #21
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdring269 View Post
Lots of good advice to keep in mind throughout this discussion. I appreciate all of it. Length of contract is definitely something worth keeping in mind when buying in to these resorts and is one factor I do want to consider. This is really a tough call in terms of home resorts. Is this usually the hardest part for most? Deciding where to buy considering I assume most of you can find pros/cons to any of the resorts?
Home resort shouldn't be that hard, buy where you love to stay. If you haven't stayed or at least thoroughly checked out all of the resorts I would buy knowing that I might be unhappy but willing to buy a different resort later. I would expect that you test drove your car before buying and that you checked out your apartment or house before signing the contract. For maximum enjoyment, DVC shouldn't be any different.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #22
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Home resort shouldn't be that hard, buy where you love to stay. If you haven't stayed or at least thoroughly checked out all of the resorts I would buy knowing that I might be unhappy but willing to buy a different resort later. I would expect that you test drove your car before buying and that you checked out your apartment or house before signing the contract. For maximum enjoyment, DVC shouldn't be any different.

Bill
Bill, my view is buy the cheapest resort that will get you to where you want to be 11 months out. IMO it's better to underbuy than overbuy. Now if you want VGF most trips or something else specific and difficult, your choices may be limited. However, I think far too many overbuy based on hype and emotion, esp for the hot new resort of BLT before now VGF with the Poly coming up. IMO it's far better to own say SSR and wish you had VGF than the reverse. For those that want to try out most or all the resorts in the system, better to own a lessor resort and even somewhat too little points in some cases. Now for some this is one and the same, if you want VGF most trips you need to own there and retail is about your only option. OTOH, if you want AKV, there's no reason to buy retail other than maybe for very small contracts. I believe right now is a bad time to buy in general because I believe resale prices are overpriced and they will come down though it may take 2-3 yrs due to the hype of VGF and the Poly.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #23
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Bill, my view is buy the cheapest resort that will get you to where you want to be 11 months out. IMO it's better to underbuy than overbuy. Now if you want VGF most trips or something else specific and difficult, your choices may be limited. However, I think far too many overbuy based on hype and emotion, esp for the hot new resort of BLT before now VGF with the Poly coming up. IMO it's far better to own say SSR and wish you had VGF than the reverse. For those that want to try out most or all the resorts in the system, better to own a lessor resort and even somewhat too little points in some cases. Now for some this is one and the same, if you want VGF most trips you need to own there and retail is about your only option. OTOH, if you want AKV, there's no reason to buy retail other than maybe for very small contracts. I believe right now is a bad time to buy in general because I believe resale prices are overpriced and they will come down though it may take 2-3 yrs due to the hype of VGF and the Poly.
In the grand scheme of things, I don't see the cost being that much greater to buy where you love to stay. I would rather have someone buy at their favorite resort than to have them under buy and not be happy later. We played the game of waitlists and calling daily checking for availability and our non home resorts. That got old pretty fast and as you will recall the DVC changed a few years ago and is still changing. It's not the best kept secret anymore.

Disney is changing and I don't think that we can depend on past trends being an indication of what will happen tomorrow. Disney has big plans to double the size of DTD, to keep increasing the attendance in the parks, to build additional DVC's, and to come up programs and policies to fill all resorts to capacity.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #24
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
In the grand scheme of things, I don't see the cost being that much greater to buy where you love to stay. I would rather have someone buy at their favorite resort than to have them under buy and not be happy later. We played the game of waitlists and calling daily checking for availability and our non home resorts. That got old pretty fast and as you will recall the DVC changed a few years ago and is still changing. It's not the best kept secret anymore.

Disney is changing and I don't think that we can depend on past trends being an indication of what will happen tomorrow. Disney has big plans to double the size of DTD, to keep increasing the attendance in the parks, to build additional DVC's, and to come up programs and policies to fill all resorts to capacity.

Bill

IF you want a given option most of the time, I'd agree with caveat's, assuming DVC makes sense at all. In many situations it doesn't for those who want the new and most expensive option like VGF. However, I don't think many direct buyers are in that boat. It is my opinion that most new buyers, not current buyers doing a directed add on, will not use their membership that way but rather over a range of resorts even when they don't think so up front. I believe many of them buy based on emotion and assumptions that often lead them to a more expensive outcome. At least with BLT you could try to make the argument of cheaper dues. As you know, I believe the current market is not representative of long term resale prices because it's hyped due to VGF. So to me it'd be say SSR at $50-60 a point or AKV at $60-70 a point depending on specifics (inc. points available, contract size) compared to VGF at more than double that with dues about a $1 more. I'm also of the opinion that situations change, preferred resorts change, usage changes, etc. over time making the perfect buy today not so perfect in a few years. We've seen many examples of that and people that thought they wanted a given resort as a new purchase only to figure out later they had other preferences.

Given that I also feel the time value of money should be included AND people should only buy what they can afford (no consumer debt, pay cash), I do see that as a major difference cost wise in the grand scheme, even for smaller contracts for new buyers of 160 or above. Those up front dollars are sunk costs and comparing retail to resale at the same resort, wasted costs. My guess is you're taking that $10K plus and dividing it into a number of years and thinking, that's not that much. Where in my view, you'd take $10K and put it into a financial calculator with an assumed earnings rate and a long term outlook at look at that number. My opinion remains that it's almost always better to underbuy than overbuy both from a points standpoint and a resort standpoint even if you can afford it. My cutoff for those it shouldn't matter for would be the same as if you were on the way to the bank to with $10K laying in the seat and someone reached in and grabbed it. If that loss matters, so should throwing away the same amount on DVC. I realize that some want specific options and resorts and are willing to pay for them, that's certainly not what I'm talking about here.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #25
bisney
Earning My Ears

My $0.02

If you cannot book vacation at least 7 months in advance, then buy SSR.

While BWV does have cheaper points for the standard view, the initial buy-in, higher MFs and shorter useful life negate much of that benefit. While a studio at SSR would cost 104 points for a week vs 78 at BWV during F&W, the price per point and MFs are approximately ~75-85% that of BWV with an additional 12 years of useful life.

Buying where you love to stay works if you HAVE to stay at a specific resort at a specific time of year when the 11 month advantage matters. While I respect the "buy where you love to stay" camp, I don't believe that that piece of advice fits everyone.

I believe that my family's preferences will change over time therefore buying at a specific resort for us to always stay there made NO sense to us at all. When the kids are young, we'll stay at AKV or maybe BLT. When they get a bit older, they might like to stay at BCV for the pool. When they're teens, they might prefer OKW or SSR for DTD. And if there is no availability when we plan to go, then we're more than happy to stay at SSR. And honestly, I prefer to try different things so I would find it too limiting to stay at the same resort every year... variety is the spice of life isn't it?

We bought a smallish SSR contract allowing for the possibility of adding on in the future if there were a resort that we had to stay at every year (perhaps the Poly once resales hit the market in a few years). "Buying where you love to stay" is easier said than done when one owns at 5 different resorts. I tend to agree with Dean that it is much more prudent to purchase at the cheapest resort where you wouldn't mind staying and being conservative with the number of points purchased. IMO, I'd rather wish that I had more points than regret that I have too many.

Best of luck to the OP.
bisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #26
Annielkd22222
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisney View Post
If you cannot book vacation at least 7 months in advance, then buy SSR.

While BWV does have cheaper points for the standard view, the initial buy-in, higher MFs and shorter useful life negate much of that benefit. While a studio at SSR would cost 104 points for a week vs 78 at BWV during F&W, the price per point and MFs are approximately ~75-85% that of BWV with an additional 12 years of useful life.

Buying where you love to stay works if you HAVE to stay at a specific resort at a specific time of year when the 11 month advantage matters. While I respect the "buy where you love to stay" camp, I don't believe that that piece of advice fits everyone.

I believe that my family's preferences will change over time therefore buying at a specific resort for us to always stay there made NO sense to us at all. When the kids are young, we'll stay at AKV or maybe BLT. When they get a bit older, they might like to stay at BCV for the pool. When they're teens, they might prefer OKW or SSR for DTD. And if there is no availability when we plan to go, then we're more than happy to stay at SSR. And honestly, I prefer to try different things so I would find it too limiting to stay at the same resort every year... variety is the spice of life isn't it?

We bought a smallish SSR contract allowing for the possibility of adding on in the future if there were a resort that we had to stay at every year (perhaps the Poly once resales hit the market in a few years). "Buying where you love to stay" is easier said than done when one owns at 5 different resorts. I tend to agree with Dean that it is much more prudent to purchase at the cheapest resort where you wouldn't mind staying and being conservative with the number of points purchased. IMO, I'd rather wish that I had more points than regret that I have too many.

Best of luck to the OP.
But, you shouldn't buy where you don't like. I bought Bay Lke Tower figuring I could get anywhere else, and unfortunately as an East Coast Teacher....,that's just not the case. I don't like BLT and if I had done research, and bought resale....I wouldn't be trying to sell now.
Annielkd22222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #27
bisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielkd22222 View Post
But, you shouldn't buy where you don't like. I bought Bay Lke Tower figuring I could get anywhere else, and unfortunately as an East Coast Teacher....,that's just not the case. I don't like BLT and if I had done research, and bought resale....I wouldn't be trying to sell now.
100% agree... I should have noted that we toured SSR prior to buying, which is why we would be more than happy staying there if our wait lists didn't work out. For example, even if Vero Beach had dirt cheap MFs, we wouldn't have purchased there as we have no intention of staying there if our wait lists were unsuccessful. No disrespect intended for VB owners as our family bought into DVC for WDW.

Last edited by bisney; 10-14-2013 at 07:21 PM.
bisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #28
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielkd22222 View Post
The way I and others have worded this is buy the cheapest resort that you will be happy with if you're stuck there most trips and will give you an 11 month window at the desired location. For WDW this is generally SSR if looking for the cheapest/best value over time.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #29
Annielkd22222
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
The way I and others have worded this is buy the cheapest resort that you will be happy with if you're stuck there most trips and will give you an 11 month window at the desired location. For WDW this is generally SSR if looking for the cheapest/best value over time.
Completely agree with that!
Annielkd22222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #30
glamdring269
Mouseketeer

Thanks again all, I do appreciate the lively discussion. SSR may ultimately be the best idea for us to at least get started but we still have a number of things to consider.

One of those considerations is Poly. This would likely be the only place I might consider buying direct from Disney when sales go live. I love this resort. I have fond, but vague, childhood memories of the property and enjoyed the time we spent walking around last week on our way to Ohana.

Here's my question: When do these resorts typically start to go on sale relative to their projected open date? For example, VGF is slated to open this month but when did Disney start selling those points? Just trying to understand how long we'll be waiting before seeing what details are on the table for Poly.
glamdring269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: