DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericstac View Post
I'm sure I'm not the first but the more I read the more I get confused. lol

I got interested in DVC during a DW trip in 2010 from one of the DVC booths. Passed on it because I like flexibility in where and when I go. The following year at Disney again, got a little deeper into it, almost signed, but then reading online read the resellers market is where to go.. never bought thought, quit reading.

Fast forward to this Xmas trip and looking at DVC again because it is obvious we LOVE Disney and go nearly every year.

But, everytime I open a new thread I get more confused.

How exactly does DVC work?
The way I understand it is I buy a package of 100pts at Bay Lake Villas, Contemporary, for $10,000.00. just a number.
So I pay $10,000.00
then I pay like $5.00 per point every year? and every year I get 100 points?
and they are only good for that year unless I bank them to use the following year?
And then I can also rent points to add to my points at $11.00 a point to cover the vacation?

and whats it matter on the home resort? it sounds like you can use points whereever you want.

too many questions I know. hopefully I wont be banned from all the questions. more to follow I'm sure..

Help the clueless. please.

maybe if I say what I think we want.. we love the contemporary (but have never been elsewhere) and we usually go for 7-10 days during Christmas each year.
Realize that any math calculations you do are likely to be the best scenario possible and all variables could rob value. Also the psychology of timeshares is MORE important than the math and this is never more true than DVC IMO. In general I'd say that DVC makes sense only for those looking to stay at DVC only, who value staying on property enough to pay more for it and who would stay in Moderates or above. It's roughly break even comparing moderate to a studio or 2 hotel rooms to a 2 BR. That's where the psychology and choices come in, most people don't stay with the studio. The other issue that many fall down on is they don't establish a comparison to off property timeshare options and assume they only will be happy with on property. Another mistake people often make at this point is they assume they should buy retail because they have not fully educated themselves and gotten comfortable with resale options. Still another is they overbuy home resorts. I'd only buy retail for something you can't get resale or where the savings is not significant. Granted for 100 points the difference is far less.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #17
ericstac
DIS Veteran

Yeah, I'm the vacationer that likes to go all out and eat out all day everyday lol. I count macros using a gram scale and prepare 6-8 meals a day every single day for bodybuilding purposes and when I hit Disney I turn that off and enjoy all the great food carefree. A kitchen is not necessary for me during vacationing, unless it's to the beach house for the weekend or something while I'm still counting macros.

No the added private bedroom is something that had me interested but we've already discussed double rooms with the shared door..but that's only when the grandparents are not at disney at the same time and so far there has always been someone else that is always willing to have the kids spend the night with them while we have our alone time
2013 - Beach Club/Polynesian - Christmas
2014 - (May) Port Orleans Riverside
2014 - (July) Port Orleans French Quarter
2014 - (Dec) Widerness Lodge or Port Orleans Riverside

EJ's Disney Pinterest Board

EJ's 2014 VLOG has Begun
ericstac is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #18
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Given that with five they can stay in most regular Deluxe hotel rooms, but would need a one bedroom anywhere but the GF (and maybe future resorts), they will never come out financially ahead.

And even with your calculations - they'd come out ahead $2k over four years. Lets assume that during that four years one year they would - without DVC - take a shorter trip, stay at a value - or maybe take no Disney trip at all - because "life got in the way" - now they are actually losing money.

And since they tend to use promotions - they aren't coming out ahead in those four years - free dining is "saving" them far more than $2000 over four years.

Now, they might get a good deal - staying in a one bedroom is probably more comfortable. Having a kitchen and a washer and dryer is really nice - a lot of DVCers are shocked by how much they actually use those props. They might find value in not scrambling for promotions or in the idea of enforced vacations or in the security of knowing that Disney is on the schedule every year.

(We don't save a dime - DVC is a way for Disney to suck a lot more money out of our pockets. But we get to have the kids in a separate room. Its expensive vacation nookie, but when it comes down to it, we are paying for vacation nookie).

But money - no - they'd do better sticking five in a regular room at the Poly during free dining.
Washer dryer, kitchen, vacation nookie. All essential in my book and why dvc was one of the best purchases I ever made.

All kidding aside. That notion of being home is real and valuable to me. Dvc is my second home and there is no where I'd rather go. We go other places, but nothing compares to that intangible home quality. It's not just a numbers game.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
DVCcurious
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericstac View Post
12day dining for my family of 5
This is the kicker here. A family of five.

Now I don't know this for a fact, but I "believe" that you can not fit 5 people in a studio at any DVC resort.

So if that is true you would have to get a 1 BR at AKL or BLT, or a 2BR at the other resorts. At this point DVC will not save you money.

We own DVC and we stay in 1 BRs. We are not saving money vs staying in a hotel room. But we have a larger/ more comfortable accomodations.

If you are happy with 5 people in one hotel room at the monorail resorts then DVC probably won't be a money saver for you.
DVCcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
timandjanl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCcurious View Post
This is the kicker here. A family of five. Now I don't know this for a fact, but I "believe" that you can not fit 5 people in a studio at any DVC resort. So if that is true you would have to get a 1 BR at AKL or BLT, or a 2BR at the other resorts. At this point DVC will not save you money. We own DVC and we stay in 1 BRs. We are not saving money vs staying in a hotel room. But we have a larger/ more comfortable accomodations. If you are happy with 5 people in one hotel room at the monorail resorts then DVC probably won't be a money saver for you.
VGF fit 5. That's it. And a lot of the 1BR don't fit 5.

Proud DVC Owner at SSR
timandjanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #21
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandjanl View Post
VGF fit 5. That's it. And a lot of the 1BR don't fit 5.
DVC will allow five in any one bedroom - at least they have in the past and as of last I heard still were, but only certain resorts have the sleeper chair - my understanding is that due to space constraints the sleeper chair doesn't fit in all the resorts. Lots of people put five in a one bedroom and bring an air mattress or sleeping bag.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #22
timandjanl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
DVC will allow five in any one bedroom - at least they have in the past and as of last I heard still were, but only certain resorts have the sleeper chair - my understanding is that due to space constraints the sleeper chair doesn't fit in all the resorts. Lots of people put five in a one bedroom and bring an air mattress or sleeping bag.
Good to know. I have been just going off the points charts and what they say about occupancy.

Proud DVC Owner at SSR
timandjanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #23
mime4jesus
Earning My Ears

Thanks for asking these questions. I've been looking at DVC myself for our family of 5 and could never understand the 'savings' on it. We stayed at POR this year for 4 nights with a 5 day hopper and quick serve dining. It cost us $2800 for everything. If we bought DVC it sounds like it would cost us around the same amount per year just for fees and park tickets. Doesn't sound like it would work for us.
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside

mime4jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mime4jesus View Post
Thanks for asking these questions. I've been looking at DVC myself for our family of 5 and could never understand the 'savings' on it. We stayed at POR this year for 4 nights with a 5 day hopper and quick serve dining. It cost us $2800 for everything. If we bought DVC it sounds like it would cost us around the same amount per year just for fees and park tickets. Doesn't sound like it would work for us.
We didn't buy DVC to save money over a hotel room I don't think it works like that for a lot of people. We bought DVC because we really don't want to stay in a hotel room we want a 1 or even a 2 bedroom villa with a kitchen and laundry. We don't want free dining we want to dine in sometimes and only eat out sometimes. For your case if you are happy in a moderate hotel room and prefer to have a dining plan you are right it probably wouldn't save you money.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #25
DisK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Also remember that DVC provides deluxe accommodations.

DVC Members at The Villa's at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort - October 2013!
DisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #26
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I presume you're doing free dining which means you have to pay full rack rate for POR. To me there are potential savings and potential additional value. One needs to look at both and decide where DVC does or does not fit for them. For many it doesn't but if you're going routinely, it likely is a reasonable choice. For POR you'd be best comporting to OKW or SSR in a studio to get as close to a direct comparison as possible. 75 points will get you a studio at those places and most others for most of the year for the 4 nights. Say $5000 buy in and $375 a year. Add $200 per adult (rounded) QS plan and $300 per adult for a 5 day pass. So for 2 adults you're looking at $1400 a year plus the buy in and time value of money. Of course your party makeup will change the numbers if different. While I think it's reasonable to assume a discount for value and moderate locations, I don't think one can count on FD continuing. Used most years, I think DVC will save you a little money and give you a lot more for your money. This assumes you could pay cash up front, aren't targeting the POR rooms that sleep 5 and will go routinely at least every other year (EOY).

What would actually happen is you'd have more costs up front and less later on. Personally I'd look at a return of the up front costs over 10 years. As I described it, you'd likely pay a little more over the first roughly 10 years but less after that and long term. However, the reality for most is they don't stay with a studio and thus pay more long term but hopefully get even more in return. But the savings is relatively low and there is risk and commitment so whether it's worth it to you depends on your situation and preferences.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
DVC is becoming less and less about saving money and more and more about the accomodations. Sure, once you pay off the initial investment, you only have annual fees to pay. But you still have to pay for transportation, park admission, food costs and incidentals. Those are the things that really add up and make you spend money. And you don't get any of those for free with DVC.

With a family of five, you are limited to one bedroom villas and larger. No studios for you unless someone stays home or one of the five is under the age of three.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I presume you're doing free dining which means you have to pay full rack rate for POR. To me there are potential savings and potential additional value. One needs to look at both and decide where DVC does or does not fit for them. For many it doesn't but if you're going routinely, it likely is a reasonable choice. For POR you'd be best comporting to OKW or SSR in a studio to get as close to a direct comparison as possible. 75 points will get you a studio at those places and most others for most of the year for the 4 nights. Say $5000 buy in and $375 a year. Add $200 per adult (rounded) QS plan and $300 per adult for a 5 day pass. So for 2 adults you're looking at $1400 a year plus the buy in and time value of money. Of course your party makeup will change the numbers if different. While I think it's reasonable to assume a discount for value and moderate locations, I don't think one can count on FD continuing. Used most years, I think DVC will save you a little money and give you a lot more for your money. This assumes you could pay cash up front, aren't targeting the POR rooms that sleep 5 and will go routinely at least every other year (EOY).

What would actually happen is you'd have more costs up front and less later on. Personally I'd look at a return of the up front costs over 10 years. As I described it, you'd likely pay a little more over the first roughly 10 years but less after that and long term. However, the reality for most is they don't stay with a studio and thus pay more long term but hopefully get even more in return. But the savings is relatively low and there is risk and commitment so whether it's worth it to you depends on your situation and preferences.
But Dean, mime4jesus said they have a party of 5. I think you missed that. As you know, a studio is not an option for 5 unless one of them is an infant age 2 or younger.

A DVC studio may be the best "apples to apples" comparison to POR, but since this family is a party of 5, I don't think the studio numbers are very relevant for them.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #29
Annielkd22222
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
I think there are two sorts of WDW holidays. There are those people who are hotel holidayers who want meals out, room service, housekeeping etc. that is not us we are a totally different type of holiday. We would never stay in a hotel room, we haven't since we became a family of four I want a full kitchen because I hate eating out every night I want a meal out to be a treat not an everyday thing. I want laundry facilities because frankly with two young boys a laundry room is a hassle. We also love having a lounge to hang in and separate bedrooms for separate bedtimes. We also want more than one bedroom. So for us buying DVC was not about saving money as compared to a Disney hotel room it was about being able to find an affordable way to stay in a Disney villa. Because we want to stay in a 2 bedroom for now and a 1 bedroom later DVC makes financial sense to us.

However if you are happy staying In a hotel room even with 5, want the DDP whether paid or not I think it makes the financial case for DVC a lot harder to make.
I hate eating out three times a day. I love having a one bedroom since I can have a full kitchen. So, that's something that I would pay about 500. We did the dining plan and I found I could save considerable money going on my own. I have 220 points and my break even ( according to my own personal sale and needs) was 7 years. That means for 40 or so years I would be saving about 2000 for my vacations. If you know you love Disney and plan to go at least every other year, it's a great financial savings to get DVC.
Annielkd22222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #30
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
But Dean, mime4jesus said they have a party of 5. I think you missed that. As you know, a studio is not an option for 5 unless one of them is an infant age 2 or younger.

A DVC studio may be the best "apples to apples" comparison to POR, but since this family is a party of 5, I don't think the studio numbers are very relevant for them.
If that will be their routine party, that's true unless one is under 3 (of course they'll age). Even a 1 BR is a potential issue for a party of 5 for all but the newer resorts and thus a 2 BR (or 2 studios in some cases) is also a consideration.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: