Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #136
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep

Main Street
New Orleans Sq
Fantasyland
Tomorrowland
Um, I was wondering if you could be a little more specific, such as by the exit of Haunted Mansion or what have you?

It would definitely help with planning what order to do rides in to minimize backtracking. This is an issue that I see being a big one, especially for those in ECVs that do need the DAS due to additional issues, as they don't have an infinite amount of battery power.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #137
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Um, I was wondering if you could be a little more specific, such as by the exit of Haunted Mansion or what have you? It would definitely help with planning what order to do rides in to minimize backtracking. This is an issue that I see being a big one, especially for those in ECVs that do need the DAS due to additional issues, as they don't have an infinite amount of battery power.
I only saw two.

Main Street was by at Central Plaza
Fantasyland is in front of The Mad Hatter

The other 2 are described on the piece of paper that I was given as:

New Orleans sq near haunted mansion
Tomorrowland near little green men store command
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #138
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Ok, Space wise those make sense, but if you think about needs as well as accessible paths, the locations need some fine tuning. Hopefully they will do that.

I would also love to know where the ones in DCA are if anyone has that information.

Also, did they provide a list of attractions that you would need to get return times for? I understand that list may change from day to day, so I'm not necessarily asking for it, but I would like to know before I go all the way to a kiosk to did it that I could have gone directly to the attraction instead.

Last edited by cmwade77; 10-09-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #139
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I didn't park hop today. Someone asked me if you could have a DAS return time in DL and one in CA on the card at the same time? Or do you think it's just one at a time period no matter what park you are at?

I wonder how it will work at WDW?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #140
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I didn't park hop today. Someone asked me if you could have a DAS return time in DL and one in CA on the card at the same time? Or do you think it's just one at a time period no matter what park you are at?

I wonder how it will work at WDW?
That is a good question indeed.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #141
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

If I had to guess, I would say that you get one wait time, period. The idea is that you are waiting in line, just in a safe place. They do not tell you what you must do while that time is passing, allowing people to handle whatever their disability dictates as best, but you are "in line."

And I believe it would be the same in Florida - where it is definitely harder to park hop.

This is based on my guesses and the statements of some Disney people in the past, so I cannot promise this is true. I would just think that if they do not allow two wait times in one park, since that would mean being "in line" twice, you would not be able to be "in line" in two parks.

I am interested to see how the "wheelchair return cards" worked out today, and in the future - the idea was to eliminate wheelchair queues, like happen at Space Mountain, but I would be surprised if that actually happened. After all, they spaced out people with disabilities quite a bit at RSR and there was always a wheelchair line.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #142
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Ok, Space wise those make sense, but if you think about needs as well as accessible paths, the locations need some fine tuning. Hopefully they will do that.

I would also love to know where the ones in DCA are if anyone has that information.

Also, did they provide a list of attractions that you would need to get return times for? I understand that list may change from day to day, so I'm not necessarily asking for it, but I would like to know before I go all the way to a kiosk to did it that I could have gone directly to the attraction instead.
I am going to rely on the app they use for that, to a certain extent. I know I cannot push myself all over the park to find out. Something that has not been made clear to me, are the kiosks "area" specific, or can I get a time for any DAS ride at any kiosk? For instance, can I get a Space time at the kiosk at Haunted Mansion? This would greatly help me plan and save energy for pushing if I could get my next time without having to cross the park!

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #143
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeveler View Post
I am going to rely on the app they use for that, to a certain extent. I know I cannot push myself all over the park to find out. Something that has not been made clear to me, are the kiosks "area" specific, or can I get a time for any DAS ride at any kiosk? For instance, can I get a Space time at the kiosk at Haunted Mansion? This would greatly help me plan and save energy for pushing if I could get my next time without having to cross the park!
They told me that you can get a DAS return time for any ride from any kiosk. I assumed this was just inside DL but now I'm wondering if you could get one in DL for a ride in CA. I doubt it but it will be interesting to find out. I was reading on the WDW that a CM said to someone that. "The DAS is for the autistic." That seems pretty narrow to me if that's what it was designed for. In line at City Hall I saw a mom of a son with Down syndrome get one. Her son had similar issues as mine (ASD). The cm who said that should really learn how to talk to people about it.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 10-10-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #144
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post

They told me that you can get a DAS return time for any ride from any kiosk. I assumed this was just inside DL but now I'm wondering if you could get one in DL for a ride in CA. I doubt it but it will be interesting to find out.

I was reading on the WDW that a CM said to someone that. "The DAS is for the autistic." That seems pretty narrow to me if that's what it was designed for. In line at City Hall I saw a mom of a son with Down syndrome get one get one. Her son had similar issues as mine (ASD). The cm who said that should really learn ow to talk to people about it.
We don't know for sure if the cm really said that it it was a misunderstanding between the cm and guest.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #145
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
We don't know for sure if the cm really said that it it was a misunderstanding between the cm and guest.
Oh ok.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #146
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh ok.
I just checked the wdw thread again and someone else had a problem at epcot but got a manager involved and think worked it out. So I think it could just be it so new the cms and managers are making some mistakes not saying they are saying it only for autism. But I think that a little more work needs to happen on both sides.

Like to see reports from other parks so far it seems to have some problems at Epcot. Saw on twitter someone got one at mk but not sure their needs.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #147
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

We're headed to Disneyland tomorrow for the long weekend, and I will report back on our experience with DS16 special needs. We have used the various permutations of the assistance program since he was a toddler.

One of my biggest questions--and something I hope someone who is there today (or yesterday)--can chime in on, is how the RP (return pass) is different from rides that have FP. Specifically, I'm wondering whether they are just funneling people into the FP line or whether with the RP we will be able to use the alternative entrance to bypass the FP line. Some of the FP lines can be really difficult for DS, (which is why we didn't use FP in the first place). If anyone could help clarify this part of the new program, I would really appreciate it.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #148
disneymum58
Mouseketeer

I was interested in knowing what they are doing now at rides like Space Mountain? I have been using the Exit to avoid the stairs with my GAC but I don't use a wheelchair. Are they giving out return cards or are people still waiting? How are they coordinating this with the DAS?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #149
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl09 View Post
We're headed to Disneyland tomorrow for the long weekend, and I will report back on our experience with DS16 special needs. We have used the various permutations of the assistance program since he was a toddler. One of my biggest questions--and something I hope someone who is there today (or yesterday)--can chime in on, is how the RP (return pass) is different from rides that have FP. Specifically, I'm wondering whether they are just funneling people into the FP line or whether with the RP we will be able to use the alternative entrance to bypass the FP line. Some of the FP lines can be really difficult for DS, (which is why we didn't use FP in the first place). If anyone could help clarify this part of the new program, I would really appreciate it.
On Tues with the GAC we were sent to the alternate entrance line. Yesterday with the DAS we were sent it the FP line. This was for Star Tours.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #150
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
On Tues with the GAC we were sent to the alternate entrance line. Yesterday with the DAS we were sent it the FP line. This was for Star Tours.
UGH! This is exactly what I was hoping not to hear. ST is one of the rides I was thinking about. That doesn't make any sense as the RT is supposed to be geared toward the wait time, and some of the FP waits can be really long (ST, Soaring, etc.). Not sure why to have a RT at all if it's just a FP (on FP rides).
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: