DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
Benihana
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielkd22222

Member discounts are for members....no matter how you purchase
Yay
Benihana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielkd22222 View Post
Member discounts are for members....no matter how you purchase
However, that could change any time - they could put a minimum point restriction on certain perks - say an AP discount that only kicks in at 150 points and is larger at 300 points. There have been surveys sent to members about doing something like this.

But you should never buy for perks and discounts - they are not guarenteed and subject to change. There are not very many of them, and I suspect very few that will be applicable in a situation where you go for less than a week every other year on a tight budget.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
However, that could change any time - they could put a minimum point restriction on certain perks - say an AP discount that only kicks in at 150 points and is larger at 300 points. There have been surveys sent to members about doing something like this.

But you should never buy for perks and discounts - they are not guarenteed and subject to change. There are not very many of them, and I suspect very few that will be applicable in a situation where you go for less than a week every other year on a tight budget.
I'm still waiting for the VIP club for 1000 point owners. Access to club level lounges, special MS phone number with concierge assistance, free cabin upgrade on member cruises.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #19
Benihana
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi

But you should never buy for perks and discounts - they are not guarenteed and subject to change. There are not very many of them, and I suspect very few that will be applicable in a situation where yo
u go for less than a week every other year on a tight budget.
Mostly just hoping for the dining and merch discount doesn't make it or break it for me tho
Old 10-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
disneylover1980
Mouseketeer

We recently went to a DVC open house. I asked about the resales and they told me that in the original owners contract Disney always had that DISNEY has the first right of refusal...so if you wanted to sell me your DVC points at say $50 a point....Disney will come in and buy them, at $50 a point....even though I am willing to buy them...so then that way I would be FORCED to pay the current price per point for DVC. Anyone else hear this??
disneylover1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #21
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylover1980 View Post
We recently went to a DVC open house. I asked about the resales and they told me that in the original owners contract Disney always had that DISNEY has the first right of refusal...so if you wanted to sell me your DVC points at say $50 a point....Disney will come in and buy them, at $50 a point....even though I am willing to buy them...so then that way I would be FORCED to pay the current price per point for DVC. Anyone else hear this??
ROFR is in all Disney contracts. Yes they buy contracts out from under buyers but right now most are not being bought and Disney has a waitlist of people wanting to buy older resorts from Disney.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #22
auralia
DIS Veteran

Also in you calculations remember that the price of dues usually goes up every year. Somewhere there is a point with guestimated dues down the road.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #23
GiantsNiners11
DVC Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylover1980 View Post
It's true, yes, but if you look at Don's thread about ROFR, very few get taken and even then, it's usually at a predictably low number (not always though).

Even still, many many many get in at HUGELY reduced prices compared to direct. Don't let that fear stop you from buying resale. That's a sales tactic by the guide.

We just passed on $59.90 per point at SSR for 250 points with 500 loaded. We will likely pass on AKV 250 point contract at $67 per point with 500 points loaded.....think about that....that is less than half the price of direct.
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #24
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful, glad I asked.

I think I have a strategy figured out...

Keep searching until I find 25 points at either AkV or BKV for around $80pp. ($2000 buy-in).

Then bank the points so I can take a 50 point vacation (5 nights in an akv value studio or standard bwv studio during adventure season for 45-50 points.)

Annual dues at akv would be 25x5.679...totalling about $142 or $284 per biannual trip. That amount divided by the 5 nights per trip is $56.80 per night.

Now factoring in the initial $2000 .... Divded by the 20 vacations we would take in the 40 years of ownership is $100 per trip... Which adds $20 per night to the room cost for each trip.

So with all said and done we can stay at a deluxe resort every two years for the next 40 yeArs and only pay $76.80 per night!! That's nearly half the cost if an All Star resort let alone a deluxe.

Disney currently charges $367 for an akv value stuido so over the course of 20 trips we would save over $28,000!!! :-D
Personally I think you're asking for trouble with such a small contract. I'd wait and buy at least a slightly larger contract, maybe 50-75. ANY reallocation that negatively impacts you will ruin your world if you're that close on the points. Plus there's no guarantee the current fee structure will be in place. Some other companies have realized that smaller contracts cost them more per member and PP and have taken steps to alleviate those extra costs.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #25
Benihana
Earning My Ears

How easy is it to rent? What is a realistic fair price to charge for 50 points? Perhaps we could buy 50 and then rent the points on our off years...
Old 10-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #26
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How easy is it to rent? What is a realistic fair price to charge for 50 points? Perhaps we could buy 50 and then rent the points on our off years...
The question is who is only going to want 50 points? I think you'll have a hard time renting that few points, most people are looking for a full week. And many people are looking for a full week in a one or two bedroom.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #27
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
IMO the ease or difficulty of renting depends on your personality and how you approach it. It takes planning and attention to detail. Personally I find it easy but then I put myself in a situation where I minimize risk and effort and I don't stress over it. Personally I don't see the savings and reasonableness of buying such a small contract for the situation you've described. I know several who have bought VERY small contracts but none of them use it as you intend to nor seem to have the slim margin your posts suggest. Generally the ones I'm aware with such small contracts use it more as access to the perks/discounts and/or for just a day or 2 here and there for Dining Plan and day pass type access.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: